SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

We will have a chance next year also to take on the NCC, so this won't be tha last go round. Hopefully we can finish the league on Top at the very end. But first let's take care of this year. Girls played well at St Paul, but we need to be more consistant inside, we missed way too may easy ones. Could be a good game Wednesday at Bemidji they are improved over the past, and then before the NCC starts one the trip to Seattle one of those teams is ranked so they must be good.

When is your last year to be able to compete in DII for a championship? Is it this year or next?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Bemidji. A very nice win for the women. Bemidji had beaten Concordia St. Paul, St. Cloud, and NDSU in Fargo this year. The Sioux beat Bemidji by 27 in Bemidji and four of players in the regular rotation didn't even play in the first half. The women's team has the most depth of any women's team they have ever had. It's too bad Ledger isn't going to be able to play this year. She might make the difference between winning the national title or not. Kimbrough is really picking up her game. When she works hard on the offensive end she is unstoppable.

Just got back from Bemidji. A very nice win for the women. Bemidji had beaten Concordia St. Paul, St. Cloud, and NDSU in Fargo this year. The Sioux beat Bemidji by 27 in Bemidji and four of players in the regular rotation didn't even play in the first half. The women's team has the most depth of any women's team they have ever had. It's too bad Ledger isn't going to be able to play this year. She might make the difference between winning the national title or not. Kimbrough is really picking up her game. When she works hard on the offensive end she is unstoppable.

How bad did Maffin's ankle injury appear to be?

The Bemidji State Women's basketball coach said that his team had played St. Cloud, Concordia St. Paul, UND, NDSU and SDSU and that the best team they had played this year was UND. That's right, he said they were better than SDSU. Rabbit fans won't want to hear that. Bison fans probably don't want to hear that either. That's is quite impressive since our full team only played half the game that night.

Does anyone know what the reason was for the "disciplinary" action that benched 4 players against Bemidji? I was suprised to read that in the Herald.

I heard what the "infraction" was, and it didn't sound too serious to me. Of course, I'm getting only one side of the story, but if true, I was surprised that Roebuck felt it warranted any disciplinary action.

I heard what the "infraction" was, and it didn't sound too serious to me. Of course, I'm getting only one side of the story, but if true, I was surprised that Roebuck felt it warranted any disciplinary action.

Have no idea what the reason was, but an "infraction" of any kind probably needs to be addressed because rules are rules...as Roebuck said in the Herald..."the system is more important than anything" I give him credit for sticking to his guns. On another note, the ladies seem to be playing very well of late...good luck to them in Washington...should be some good games, especially against Seattle Pacific...they are usually pretty good the past years.

What was the infraction? Since they were benched only for the first half, I can't imagine it was anything too serious. I also agree that the girls have been playing so well lately. I've checked up on next years recruits, and they are also having very successful seasons. All of them are ranked in the state, and LaFrance's team is #1 in ND for class A. Both Lof and LaFrance's teams are undefeated, and Gillett's team has one loss (I believe by a point-huge upset in first game of the season). But they beat the #2 team in ND for class B a few days ago. Very engouraging all around.

Bakken's latest blog entry. I guess I don't necessarily agree that UND will start to get lesser recruits. The reason being is that there really won't be any top-flight dII programs within several hours of GF. The state of ND produces a fair amount of good girl basketball players, and of course northwest MN has been a goldmine over the past several years. Most of those players are probably not going to choose to leave the immediate area, or choose Northern State or Mary or Moorhead (for example) over UND or NDSU. They may choose to go to a major conference dI program if offered, but it's rare that those offers are made to area players. It MAY affect twin cities recruiting to an extent, but most of the better UND players over the years haven't been from the cities, anyway.

As a side note, it's interesting how many NDSU fans seem to be faithful readers of Bakken's blog. :huh:

Maybe that's because it seems Bakken can't talk about anything else. ???

He tries to push buttons. But who cares? There are lots of writers/posters out there who I don't agree with, but instead of getting myself all worked up over them, I just don't bother reading their columns/posts. Bakken is getting exactly what he's after, and a group of NDSU fans is apparently more than happy to oblige him. It's not worth getting upset over.

With all that said, would you acknowledge that NDSU women's basketball definitely is well behind football and men's basketball in terms of having a successful transition into dI? And further, that they're clearly behind SDSU in women's basketball? The question is, why? I don't believe a win over a struggling Minnesota team at home erases the struggles in recruiting and in the on-court results of most of the past season and a half. I don't know what the problem(s) is/are, but I don't necessarily expect UND to experience similar struggles.

He tries to push buttons. But who cares? There are lots of writers/posters out there who I don't agree with, but instead of getting myself all worked up over them, I just don't bother reading their columns/posts. Bakken is getting exactly what he's after, and a group of NDSU fans is apparently more than happy to oblige him. It's not worth getting upset over.

With all that said, would you acknowledge that NDSU women's basketball definitely is well behind football and men's basketball in terms of having a successful transition into dI? And further, that they're clearly behind SDSU in women's basketball? The question is, why? I don't believe a win over a struggling Minnesota team at home erases the struggles in recruiting and in the on-court results of most of the past season and a half. I don't know what the problem(s) is/are, but I don't necessarily expect UND to experience similar struggles.

Do you really think that all your sports will move up at the same rate? NDSU womens bb has had some injures and some recruits leave. They'll be back. That struggling MN team has already beat the # 25 team the week before. The majority of our sports are doing well in the move. I notice that you like to focus on womens bb because they are having a harder time. That's a luxury that NDSU fans won't have as we'll have to focus on most of your sports in the move. ???

He tries to push buttons. But who cares? There are lots of writers/posters out there who I don't agree with, but instead of getting myself all worked up over them, I just don't bother reading their columns/posts. Bakken is getting exactly what he's after, and a group of NDSU fans is apparently more than happy to oblige him. It's not worth getting upset over

Oh, I agree. But it just seems a little unprofessional to keep goading idiot fans into incoherent "discussions".

My thoughts on the women's program are mixed. If you flipped the success the men's and women's teams are having, it would be how I thought it would play out. I thought the women's bball team started to slide the last few years of DII and IMO it is 100% attributable to a lack of talent. Add to that her recruiting classes the first year or two of DI were absolutely horrible and you begin to see what is going on. I believe Amy is getting all she can from her players, but just doesn't have the horses.

Obviously, Amy has earned a little time to get things turned around, and with the CSU transfers playing next year and better recruiting classes we'll see how things turn out.

I also don't expect UND to experience similar circumstances. They have some excellent young players and transition to DI should be better.

My thoughts on the women's program are mixed. If you flipped the success the men's and women's teams are having, it would be how I thought it would play out. I thought the women's bball team started to slide the last few years of DII and IMO it is 100% attributable to a lack of talent. Add to that her recruiting classes the first year or two of DI were absolutely horrible and you begin to see what is going on. I believe Amy is getting all she can from her players, but just doesn't have the horses.

Obviously, Amy has earned a little time to get things turned around, and with the CSU transfers playing next year and better recruiting classes we'll see how things turn out.

I also don't expect UND to experience similar circumstances. They have some excellent young players and transition to DI should be better.

I agree that Ruley doesn't have the horses. But the reasons for that aren't clear to me. Some ignorant people cling to the notion that NDSU's downturn in fortunes is somehow the result of UND swooping in and "stealing" all the good area recruits due to NDSU's impending period of post-season ineligibility. However, if that were the case, then it would seem USD and Augie should have been doing the same to SDSU. But that hasn't happened, which seems to blow that theory out of the water. That theory also ignores the fact that UND has traditionally gotten a good chunk of the area talent well before division I was even on the radar for NDSU (Heisler, Kleinsasser, Richards, Boll, etc.). Maybe Ruley just doesn't have the desire to recruit as much anymore? Maybe her assistants aren't doing a good job recruiting? It's hard to say what the reasons are.

Maybe Ruley just doesn't have the desire to recruit as much anymore? Maybe her assistants aren't doing a good job recruiting? It's hard to say what the reasons are.

Whatever is the case, we have seen this coming for a few years IMO. Every indication was that the Dahlen's wanted to come to UND, but then didn't get an offer and ended up an NDSU. When the Bison signed the girls from Sacred Heart and Fischer, and there was really no interest in them from the UND side, a person couldn't help but wonder. The recent reliance on transfers may work on the men's side, but not many DI women's programs go that route and have measurable success. Whatever the reason, hopefully it gets rectified. Those games between the programs in the past we enjoyable.

I agree that Ruley doesn't have the horses. But the reasons for that aren't clear to me. Some ignorant people cling to the notion that NDSU's downturn in fortunes is somehow the result of UND swooping in and "stealing" all the good area recruits due to NDSU's impending period of post-season eligibility. However, if that were the case, then it would seem USD and Augie should have been doing the same to SDSU. But that hasn't happened, which seems to blow that theory out of the water. That theory also ignores the fact that UND has traditionally gotten a good chunk of the area talent well before division I was even on the radar for NDSU (Heisler, Kleinsasser, Richards, Boll, etc.). Maybe Ruley just doesn't have the desire to recruit as much anymore? Maybe her assistants aren't doing a good job recruiting? It's hard to say what the reasons are.

Yeah, I think the downturn in recruiting happened a few years before we announced going to DI. It's probably not PC to say this, but it's possible Amy's battle with breast cancer took some of the "fight" out of her; who knows.

While I'm definitely enjoying the success the men are having, I know it's extremely unrealistic to expect them to consistently make it out of the first round of the NCAA tourney. The same is not true for the women. Teams like Old Dominion are consistently a threat to go deep in the tournament; there is no reason a UND, NDSU, or SDSU could not have the same success. I hope the women's team gets things turned around.

I know it's extremely unrealistic to expect them to consistently make it into the first round of the NCAA tourney. The same is not true for the women. Teams like Old Dominion are consistently a threat to go deep in the tournament; there is no reason a UND, NDSU, or SDSU could not have the same success. I hope the women's team gets things turned around.

i think some people have higher expectations that they should. while ndsu's team is great and i cheer for them... it is still a very hard thing to get into the ncaa tourney.

i think some people have higher expectations that they should. while ndsu's team is great and i cheer for them... it is still a very hard thing to get into the ncaa tourney.

I agree that making it into the men's tournament is very tough. But on the women's side, which is what I believe NDSU grad was talking about, it should be a much more achievable goal. The caliber of play in women's basketball in the Mid-Con and/or the Big Sky is not particularly good. I expect that the SDSU women will immediately be the class of the Mid-Con, and frankly, I think UND would have a very good chance of winning either the Mid-Con or the Big Sky this year.

I agree that making it into the men's tournament is very tough. But on the women's side, which is what I believe NDSU grad was talking about, it should be a much more achievable goal. The caliber of play in women's basketball in the Mid-Con and/or the Big Sky is not particularly good. I expect that the SDSU women will immediately be the class of the Mid-Con, and frankly, I think UND would have a very good chance of winning either the Mid-Con or the Big Sky this year.

What has the sioux women done in the last 5 years - they haven't even gotten out of the regionals. I'm sure they have a good team, but are they underachievers or what? 92/96 loves to compare scores which doesn't mean swat, too bad they don't schedule some of the Mid-Con or BSC teams and really see what's up.

What has the sioux women done in the last 5 years - they haven't even gotten out of the regionals. I'm sure they have a good team, but are they underachievers or what? 92/96 loves to compare scores which doesn't mean swat, too bad they don't schedule some of the Mid-Con or BSC teams and really see what's up.

Bison Dan ... once again you shouldn't be pointing fingers. The Sioux women's team has been a lot better than the Bison for over a decade. Were doing just fine. You don't have to worry about us. If I'm not mistaken I think our record last year was 34-1. What was your record. Almost every player on our team was recruited by the Bison and chose to come to UND. Most of the players on the Bison team wouldn't even have made the Sioux team. Once again, don't worry about us..were doing just fine. The last decade the Bison would love to have underachieved like the Sioux supposedly have.

I love to compare scores? :huh: What are you talking about? On second thought, never mind. You're on my "ignore" list, anyway, although I couldn't help but see your most recent post since it was quoted in sultan's post. As for what the UND women have done recently--just about everything except making it back to the Elite 8. If that's the sole measure of a program, then I guess it's been a disappointment. By any other measure--an incredible success. Since UND's last trip to the Elite 8 in 2001, the Sioux have gone 151-25 (.858). Not too bad.

I realize that you are just trying to get a rise out of us with your post, but I personally would love to see some games like that sceduled. The men did have exhibition games this year with Purdue and Indiana and I know the women had one 2 years ago against the U of M. Perhaps with the move to D-1 set, we will see some next year. Underacheivers or not...I would say they could give many D-1 schools a good effort and perhaps slaughter a few...any time UND vs NDSU happens, I guarentee a full house...perhaps that would be a better exhibiton game than Bemidji or Mayville :huh:

Bakken's latest blog entry. I guess I don't necessarily agree that UND will start to get lesser recruits. The reason being is that there really won't be any top-flight dII programs within several hours of GF. The state of ND produces a fair amount of good girl basketball players, and of course northwest MN has been a goldmine over the past several years. Most of those players are probably not going to choose to leave the immediate area, or choose Northern State or Mary or Moorhead (for example) over UND or NDSU. They may choose to go to a major conference dI program if offered, but it's rare that those offers are made to area players. It MAY affect twin cities recruiting to an extent, but most of the better UND players over the years haven't been from the cities, anyway.

As a side note, it's interesting how many NDSU fans seem to be faithful readers of Bakken's blog. :huh:

I feel another reason the talent up here is virtually untapped by the bigger schools is underexposure. Playing AAU ball is a virtual recruiting focal point. It is very difficult for players in this area to do that without leaving the area (ie: going to the cities) Many kids don't even have a drivers license yet or have working parents who can't get them there or find lodging, etc. A big reason NW MN has such a strong talent base is the strong summer programs, if kids play AAU, it takes them away from their HS teams and that makes a difference too. Another thing is a great education...transition will be hard, but I think there will be plenty of talent interested in UND, IMO.