SiouxSports.com Forum

USCHO Pre-Season Poll

Chuck Schwartz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't pay to much attention to polls, but I do think UND has the best team in the WCHA on paper. Despite the losses, UND returns 3 of their top 5 scorers from last year, which is better than anyone in the WCHA but UAA and UMD. UND lost only one defensemen and has a proven goaltender coming back. Not to mention the fact that UND returns all their freshmen which was the best freshmen class in the country. Wisconsin lost all of their top five scorers and although they return Elliott they will need some younger underated players to step it up. Minnesota lost 4 of their top 5 scorers and still has a question at goaltender. This means that they will rely heavily on Stoa and Wheeler to step it. The strength of Minnesota this year will be their defensemen. I think the Magnauton Cup will go to UND or Minnesota. After that I feel their is a big gap between 1-2 to 3-6, which 3-6 I feel will be DU, UW, SCSU, and UMD. Then I think there will be a large gap between 7-10 which I feel will be CC, MSU, MTU, and UAA.

I don't pay to much attention to polls, but I do think UND has the best team in the WCHA on paper. Despite the losses, UND returns 3 of their top 5 scorers from last year, which is better than anyone in the WCHA but UAA and UMD. UND lost only one defensemen and has a proven goaltender coming back. Not to mention the fact that UND returns all their freshmen which was the best freshmen class in the country. Wisconsin lost all of their top five scorers and although they return Elliott they will need some younger underated players to step it up. Minnesota lost 4 of their top 5 scorers and still has a question at goaltender. This means that they will rely heavily on Stoa and Wheeler to step it. The strength of Minnesota this year will be their defensemen. I think the Magnauton Cup will go to UND or Minnesota. After that I feel their is a big gap between 1-2 to 3-6, which 3-6 I feel will be DU, UW, SCSU, and UMD. Then I think there will be a large gap between 7-10 which I feel will be CC, MSU, MTU, and UAA.

I think you're pretty close with that assessment.

I'm not even going to quote him that was such an idiotic response.

And what you said was OK, but I am an idiot, all I did was ask a question. I was looking for an explanation, and you slam me, but turnaround is not fair play.

My only question is after how thingsended up last year,how can the Goofs be ranked higher? I just think it is once again the Goofs getting more respect then they deserve. That is all.

And what you said was OK, but I am an idiot, all I did was ask a question. I was looking for an explanation, and you slam me, but turnaround is not fair play.

My only question is after how thingsended up last year,how can the Goofs be ranked higher? I just think it is once again the Goofs getting more respect then they deserve. That is all.

Last year has nothing to do with this year what don't you realize about that? And even if you do go back to last season Minnesota beat North Dakota 3 out of 4 times so what is your point exactly?

Last year has nothing to do with this year what don't you realize about that? And even if you do go back to last season Minnesota beat North Dakota 3 out of 4 times so what is your point exactly?

You make great points I am not saying that, but I think you have to look at the whole picture and look how seasons ended too. The Sioux finished higher and went further, I just personally expected the Sioux to be ranked in the top 3. But like others have pointed out, the poll in April is more important. Sorry for my rants.

You'll only catch me saying this once regarding the HC game but any team can crap out once against anyone. Unfortunately for Goldy he did it at pretty much the worst possible time. Every year is a new year. I don't particularly care for the idea that last year's champ is this year's #1 until knocked off for that same reason. I also don't care to call a team the "reigning" national champ the year after they've won it either. The previous team was the champion for that last year, IMO.

In that regard, I don't think you can take performance at the end of the year and necessarily factor that into where they'll be to start this year. What if Ryan Potulny was bored with college hockey? What if he moped around the gopher dressing room pining for the time to pass because he wanted to sign his pro contract and get his signing bonus? What if he got fed up and coughed up the puck to HC and then half-heartedly tried to chase down the play because he WANTED to lose. Do you think THAT should factor in to where the gophers are ranked THIS season?

Disclaimer: the above was an extreme and actually absurd illustration and in no way is meant to portray the author's real opinions on the player Ryan Potulny, who I'm quite certain was a fine teammate and quality guy.

While the pre-season poll is not a perfect predictor for the end of the season it can be used as a gauge. Case in point, as UND is #6 they are viewed as a team that could go very deep in the NCAA Tourney. You wouldn't expect that from an unranked team, although they may provide the occasional upset. :silly: It is interesting to note that last year all four semi-final teams came from the top 11 in the pre-season poll.

The following goes without saying that it's all hypothetical...If not for loosing to St. Cloud in the Final 5 semi final game, and trying to mail in the Holy Cross game (man, talk about good memories, two consecutive priceless weekends), Minnesota would have only been 500 against the Sioux last year (including losing to the Sioux the only game that mattered).

Why is that year after year the same fans get worked up over the intial USCHO poll. Recall that year after year the explanation remains the same. Your grandmothers in North Dakota and Minnesota have more hockey sense and knowledge than some of the so called expertise from out East. North Dakota will never get their attention or accolades because many of them couldn't even tell you where the school is located nor do they care. On the other hand they know that Wisconsin and Minnesota are in cities and have the bigger schools so that must make them better. As always the landscape will change dramatically over the next three weeks and many of their personal little eastern favorites will soon disppear from view. This is one fall ritual that everyone should just laugh off. Personally, I would like nothing better than a Sioux repeat win of the Beanpot :silly:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

1 Wisconsin (17)

1 Boston College (10)

3 Minnesota ( 5)

4 Boston University

5 Michigan State ( 1)

6 North Dakota ( 1)

7 Michigan ( 2)

8 Miami

9 Denver

10 New Hampshire

11 Maine

12 Harvard

13 Cornell

14 Colgate ( 1)

15 Colorado College

16 St. Cloud State

17 Ohio State

18 Dartmouth

19 Northern Michigan

20 Clarkson

No Beavers??? Didn't Adam Woden put their name in the hat?? :silly:;):0

Good post and I agree. WI doesn't surprise me in that they were ranked #1. Many on this board predicted it. The majority of us also feel that it is somewhat of a token ranking and will likely be short lived. BC and Mn defintiely belong where they are ranked. Losing to Holy Cross has absolutely no bearing on this poll. Their incoming freshmen, their improved defense and their returning goaltenders give them an edge. Briggs was pretty good throughout the season only to faulter in the end (hope that happens again). As for the Sioux, losing Parise in the minds of the voters is a big reason why we're #6 instead of #1 or #2. We all feel Lammy can be the guy but he hasn't proven it yet and his backups haven't seen a shot in the WCHA. I hope Phil can establish himself with 2 road wins in Madison. These polls will fluctuate as they always do as upsets happen, but being in the top 10 statistically is a good position to be in at the start of the season.

North Dakota will never get their attention or accolades because many of them couldn't even tell you where the school is located nor do they care. On the other hand they know that Wisconsin and Minnesota are in cities and have the bigger schools so that must make them better.

A Sioux fan playing the no respect card?

The USCHO poll has been around since the 1997-98 season. North Dakota has been ranked AHEAD of Minnesota and Wisconsin in six of those nine years in the preseason even as recent as 2004-05. In the preseason poll, Wisconsin has NEVER been ranked ahead of UND prior to this season.

In 2002-03, UND was coming off a horrid season in 01-02 and was ranked 13th. In 2003-04, Minnesota was coming off a national title and UND was ranked fifth. In 2005-06, Minnesota was bringing in Kessel to join Potulny, Irmen, etc., UND was ranked seventh. Hardly a slap in the face.

Considering Denver, Minnesota and Wisconsin have accounted for five titles since North Dakota's last one, I'd say that's a tremendous amount of respect for the Sioux program.

The USCHO poll has been around since the 1997-98 season. North Dakota has been ranked AHEAD of Minnesota and Wisconsin in six of those nine years in the preseason even as recent as 2004-05. In the preseason poll, Wisconsin has NEVER been ranked ahead of UND prior to this season.

In 2002-03, UND was coming off a horrid season in 01-02 and was ranked 13th. In 2003-04, Minnesota was coming off a national title and UND was ranked fifth. In 2005-06, Minnesota was bringing in Kessel to join Potulny, Irmen, etc., UND was ranked seventh. Hardly a slap in the face.

Considering Denver, Minnesota and Wisconsin have accounted for five titles since North Dakota's last one, I'd say that's a tremendous amount of respect for the Sioux program.

I guess they aren't discussing any hockey over on GPL yet. Thanks for just extracting a couple of sentences out of my post and presenting them out of context. First off I clearly stated that the intial USCHO poll is typically meaningless so it wouldn't matter whether the pollsters care about anyone outside of their own division anyway. Secondly, my comment that the Sioux are generally overlooked an across the board statement, and if you want an example outside of the voted polls just think Hobey Baker. Your damp little hole awaits you.

ya know, i think there should be a law on preseason polls, they are basically worthless. Like football! one key injury will break a teams whole season. Wisconsin is a big team and probably will do very well, at least until the end of the year. Gophers will suck eventually, as always! And 'we' will get a slow start but turn it on, once again, and go deep into the playoffs!~ I just pray that the arena has its sh*t together this year. Keep the damn volume level up high on the stereo, and dont play wedding songs in between play!!! I swear someone needs to lose their job if that goes on again this year! And one last wish, I hope for the west regional crowd to be around for every sioux home game! :silly:

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

I don't disagree with anything that you say, but the last gratuitous comment is misleading and appears intended solely to jab at UND fans. What you conveniently fail to mention, or choose to ignore, is that UND has the best track record over the past 10 years, and despite not winning a national championship since 2000, has been as consistently good as anyone. The Sioux have had 1 losing season since 1996-97. By contrast, UM has had 2, UW has had 4, and Denver has had 2. The Sioux were an OT loss in 2001 from also having back-to-back titles, and have been in the last 2 Frozen Fours, finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively. In 2003-04, they were the consensus No. 1 all year, only to be upset by the eventual champs, Denver, 1-0 in the western regional. UM did not fare any better, losing to UMD in the regional. UM has only been back to the Frozen 4 once since it's championships, losing to UND in 2004-05. UND has as many titles as UM and DU over the past 10 years, and the most Frozen Four appearances in the last 10 years and 5 years. UND also has more WCHA titles than UW, UM and DU over that time span.

The point is that I agree with you that UND generally is very well-respected nationally, and that preseason polls are meaningless. However, if your intent is to come on a UND message board and pick fights, at least provide a complete and honest assessment to back up your comments. If you cannot do that, then please do not post here.

They often seem to find it more interesting to talk about what we're talking about over here.

i like the gpl site to browse through. jup does a good job running it... it seems like in every thread over there that some idiot brings up "well over on SS they are sayig this and that"......fkn halarious. there are some good gophs fans that post here and bring interesting points and there are also some dumbazzes as well but thats what makes for good chats :silly: i think we all just need hockey to start so the REAL S$%* TALKING can begin.yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

also i really dont give a rats azz about polls. especially pre season. respect,no respect. whos gives a crap. get on the ice and play hockey and then the polls will take care of themselves. the only poll that means anything is the end of the year rankings that determine your NC$$ positioning. and if anyone can take these serious after looking at some of the teams that ACTUALLY recieved votes, you have got to be kidding me so whatever..........