SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at Northern Iowa

Shawn-O

Since when are the Gophers anything but a bottom feeder. This game will likely not be a blow out, the Goophers are down this year compared to previous years. An upset is not out of the question (Yes, the Bison might get upset!) if the gophers can put a solid four quarters together!!! ???

According to Mason, Minnesota isn't a bottom feeder because they make it to a good Bowl game the past few seasons! :silly:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are officially out of your minds. The Gophers have been a borderline top 25 team in the nation more years than not since Mason took over. During the '70s, '80s, and most of the '90s they were a bottom feeder. Ever since about 1998-99 they've been annually one of the 30 to 35 best out of all 117 teams in D1, and that's a conservative estimate. So they aren't USC or Ohio State, they're no bottom feeder either. They've won 32 games over the past four years for an average of 8 wins per year, which is rather impressive considering they play the majority of their games against Big 10 competition. Any team that can average 8 wins per year playing a Big 10 schedule would slaughter a top D-1AA team, nevermind a slightly better than average D-1AA team like NDSU. That game is going to be a laugher.

Well at least Mason has 1 fan. They are perrenially NEARLY a top 25 team for a school that, in the past, used to be preetty dominant. But maybe the Music City Bowl and the Insight Bowl really are "elite": bowls and we should be rahrahrah-ing that they represent Minnesota in those glorious bowl games.

Seriously, that's as good as Mason gets. Averaging 8 wins a season puts them at about 8-4 when you have to what... go 10-2 to make a top tier bowl game? I don't think Mason has it in him to put together a team that can only manage to lose 2 games. Sure, I agree with you inasmuch as the Gophers could beat any DIAA team. I know about Montana State's win and that's an abomination. It just shouldn't happen.

However, Mason is good enough to have his teams finish better than .500 football. But he's not good enough to compete with the top 15 teams in the nation. This is being nice and saying he can compete with #16-#25 in the polls and even that is questionable.

Of those 32 wins over the last 4 years, 17 were against nonconference teams -- most of which were terrible teams. Their Big Ten record over the last 4 years was 15-17.

Well at least Mason has 1 fan. They are perrenially NEARLY a top 25 team for a school that, in the past, used to be preetty dominant. But maybe the Music City Bowl and the Insight Bowl really are "elite": bowls and we should be rahrahrah-ing that they represent Minnesota in those glorious bowl games.

Seriously, that's as good as Mason gets. Averaging 8 wins a season puts them at about 8-4 when you have to what... go 10-2 to make a top tier bowl game? I don't think Mason has it in him to put together a team that can only manage to lose 2 games. Sure, I agree with you inasmuch as the Gophers could beat any DIAA team. I know about Montana State's win and that's an abomination. It just shouldn't happen.

However, Mason is good enough to have his teams finish better than .500 football. But he's not good enough to compete with the top 15 teams in the nation. This is being nice and saying he can compete with #16-#25 in the polls and even that is questionable.

Gophers are usually an average team. They just need to be more consistent! This years team I believe will have a bit of a down year. Losing those 2 running backs will hurt, but they still have a decent O line. I definatly do not expect NDSU to win that one. In all reality, it could get ugly

No smack here. I hope you give UNI a run. I suspect it will be a whacking ...... as will our game with the Gophers. However.....on any given saturday any team can win.

I hope it isn't a whacking. I'm optimistically saying that we'll keep up with them for most of the game. Not expecting a win, but if we manage to keep the point difference to 20 points or less, I'll take it as a victory.

Well, considering how the Big 10 is far and away the most competitive conference top to bottom in all of college football... any team that goes 15-17 within the Big 10 over a span of four years will destroy NDSU. Even a team that goes 10-22 within the Big 10 would destroy NDSU.

Whos feeding you the minnesota kool-aide?

the big 10 is FAR AND AWAY the most competitive?

have you heard of the SEC? not even close my friend

Last year was last year and yes they beat us 51-6...but again that was last by year and any thing can happen..just look UwL beat sdsu 17-3 yesterday.. and all i am sayin it will be a good game thats all also wsu is a better team this year than last year so dont count out wsu just yet on the UND game...cuz if u over look team u can lose to them no matter who the team is...I feel the UND vs will be close game....

Looks to me like Winona should start working on improving their academics rather than their football team. I can't understand a thing that this guy is trying to say. I got three words for that--- "Hooked On Phonics"

I have heard of the SEC. You're right, it isn't even close. The Big 10 is way tougher. That's why they annually place 6 or 7 of their teams in the top 25 rankings. The SEC is top heavy with 3 and sometimes 4 very strong teams, but the rest of them are mediocre at best. In the Big 10, almost anybody can beat anybody most years with maybe just one or two teams at the bottom who are not competitive. If you want to say the top two teams in the SEC are better than the top two teams in the Big 10, that may be true (some years). But the 5th, 6th, and 7th best teams in the Big 10 are almost always vastly superior to the 5th, 6th, and 7th best teams in the SEC. That's why it's so hard for a Big 10 team to go through a season undefeated. They have so many difficult conference games, as opposed to the top schools in the SEC who breeze through their conference with relative ease.

Here's the Top 7 of the SEC conference according to me, in no particular order: LSU, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina.

Here's the Top 7 of the Big 10 conference according to me, in no particular order: Michigan, Iowa, Ohio St., Penn St, Wisconsin, Michigan St., Minnesota/Purdue.

The top 7 of the SEC is substantially deeper and more competitive. Sure, every conference has its beating stick(Illinois/Indiana, Ole Miss/Kentucky) But to say the Big 10 is that much better than the SEC is just you not being able to come to grips that the SEC is a better conference overall. "The top schools in the SEC breeze through their conference schedule with relative ease"...Please take a look at some statistics before you post something so blatantly wrong.

I will agree to (strongly) disagree with you on that point. There are annually more Big 10 teams in the top 25 poll then any other conference. The SEC has at least five cupcake teams in Mississippi, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Arkansas. The Big 10 has only two in Indiana and Illinois. Once again, my original statement was that top to bottom there is no conference in the nation tougher than the Big 10. Almost anybody can beat anybody in the Big 10 as opposed to the SEC where only the top 3 or 4 teams have a realistic chance to beat each other. Is the SEC a good conference? Of course it is. But better than the Big 10? Absolutely not.

Is this the Big 10/SEC forum or the UND vs UNI forum? Just wondering. I hope the Sioux win tomorrow. I hope my friends have a good time there and I hope that Chris Lee continues to do an outstanding job promoting the games, home or away. Go Reed, Go Sioux.

Gophers are usually an average team. They just need to be more consistent! This years team I believe will have a bit of a down year. Losing those 2 running backs will hurt, but they still have a decent O line. I definatly do not expect NDSU to win that one. In all reality, it could get ugly

Well, considering how the Big 10 is far and away the most competitive conference top to bottom in all of college football... any team that goes 15-17 within the Big 10 over a span of four years will destroy NDSU. Even a team that goes 10-22 within the Big 10 would destroy NDSU.

Wow. The conference is competitive, but only the top 2-3 would be competitive in any of the top conferences in the country

The Gophers "great" teams are 7th or 8th in the Big 10, which is a mediocre by comparison conference(SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 10) and this year they are down a notch.... The Bison will keep it respectable(38-21 or 38-24)

Besides the Sioux Sports Network, is this game going to be televised anywhere in ND? Does DirecTV or Dish Network or CableOne have this game on some obscure channel at any bar(s) in Fargo? Any info is appreciated because I really don't want to settle for listening on the radio and will not do an internet feed. Thnx!

Besides the Sioux Sports Network, is this game going to be televised anywhere in ND? Does DirecTV or Dish Network or CableOne have this game on some obscure channel at any bar(s) in Fargo? Any info is appreciated because I really don't want to settle for listening on the radio and will not do an internet feed. Thnx!

No TV for this game anywhere in ND or Iowa for that matter. ;)

A little off topic here but does anyone know where I can get the same stickers the Sioux have on their football helmets? I painted a helmet for my three year old son and was wondering if anyone knows where I get get them. Any help would make me a hero with him. Thanks

They did have the interlocking ND as a window cling in the Sioux Shop at Engelstad a while back........might not stick to the helmet very well, but that's what God created Super Glue for.

You could also check with where UND gets their helmets at........if you wanted to do some investigative work.......they may have extra stickers. I did find the leftover numbers from UND for the kids' hockey helmets at Play It Again last year. They didn't have a price on them but I picked up a couple sheets with only a few numbers missing, for a dollar. The guy that sold them to me said that UND just gave them to the store.

*writes down kelly green spray paint as one of the things to pick up in Forks this afternoon*

Just wondering..... Is this game going to be on FSSN? I thought the broadcast rights via UNI were cost prohibited...