SiouxSports.com Forum

Mid-Summer Classic Thread

siouxnami

Why? because it is hot and miserable, I'm stuck inside, and it is fun... Also please list your reasons

Forwards:

Oshie, Toews, Duncan, Kozek, Watkins, Kaip, Porter, Fabian, Miller, Vandevelde, Forney, Zajac, Foyt, Martens, Genoway, Bishop

Defense:

Lee, Chorney, Jones, Finley, LaPointe, Radke, Alexander, Bina

Goaltenders

Lamoureux, Grieco, Walski

1st Line:

Oshie, Duncan, Kozek

Kozek is a good finisher to go with two good playmakers.

2nd Line:

Toews, Porter, Forney

Plenty of power in front of the net for some easy rebound goals. Expect Porter to be the next UND Senior to step up.

3rd Line:

Kaip, Fabian, Zajac

2 legit Checking Line Players and Zajac who has an edge. Also some offensive upside.

4th Line:

Watkins, Miller, Vandevelde

I like what I saw from a Miller not at 100% last year. Also could this be the fastest 4th line in the nation. Watkins showed flashes of brilliance last year.

Other Forwards

Martens, Foyt, Bishop, Genoway

Might be hard to keep Bishop and Genoway out of the lineup. Good competition to keep everyone playing well & practicing hard.

1st Defense:

Lee, Chorney

Remember they were FRESHMEN!, They will come back much improved particularly on offense.

2nd Defense:

Jones, Finley

Jones is an angry, angry defender. Finley will poke check the puck at center from in front of his crease.

3rd Defense:

Radke, Bina

Other Defense:

Alexander

Goaltender:

Duh

I just don't want to spell it again.

Other Goaltenders:

Grieco, Walski

PP:

Toews, Oshie, Duncan, Lee, Chorney

Great all-around talent.

PK:

Oshie, Porter, Finley, Jones

Hey Jones, no 5x3s!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oshie duncan porter

toews forney kozek

zajac fabian vande velde

watkins miller/bishop kaip

lee chorney

jones finley

radke bina/alexander

LAPOINT isnt coming til 07/08

PHILS time to shine

POWERPLAY

oshie, toews, duncan (every second of every powerplay) ;)

lee, radke

I'll take a stab (please note that if I put a Winger as a Center, forgive me):

Kozek-Toews-Duncan (these first two lines have wingers that are interchangable in my opinion)

Forney-Oshie-Porter

Watkins/Zajac-Kaip-Fabian

Vandevelde-Zajac(*)/Bishop-Miller/Genoway

* - Zajac, imo, will split time between the 3rd and 4th lines. I'd expect Watkins to start out on the 3rd line because he's been on the first checking line last season.

Key Spot/Role players (players who will only see limited, yet important ice time): Bishop, Miller, Martens, Genoway

Non-factors: Foyt, Walski, Alexander (although rumor has it that he left UND)

Defense:

Lee-Chorney

Radke-Jones

Finley-Bina

Backup defenseman: Genoway

Goaltending: Phillippe and Anthony will split times with Phillippe getting the nod in pivotal games.

** Does anyone have anything on this Grieco kid? I have his stats, but I really know nothing other than that.

Leadership: Fabian "C", Bina (A), Porter (A) (this is a VERY tough decision because Toews and Oshie could easily wear a letter this year. The thing is that everything stated in interviews and such state that Porter's leadership was really displayed off the ice last season while Fabian was a leader on and off the ice. Bina gets a letter as more of an inspirational/motivational thing. Leaders overcome adversity and I don't think you can face more adversity than Bina has)

Strengths: Defense, Powerplay (In theory)

Weaknesses: scoring depth, depth in general

Unknowns: Goaltending/goaltending depth, PK, Powerplay (goes as both a strength and an unknown as, on paper, we should be really good on special teams but in the past, we've only been average at best)

NOTE: Before everyone jumps all over me about my criticism on goaltending I must clarify that I do not think that Lamoureaux is a poor goaltender. I'm saying that we don't know how he'll perform over the stretch of a season and I know nothing of Grieco.

toews, duncan, porter (porter will be asked to provide more scoring than he did last year)

oshie, kozek, forney (koz will be an animal this year)

kaip, fabian, watkins (grind line that will score)

bishop, vandevelde, zajac (bishop will probably be our fastest player paired with 2 guys with a nose for the puck)

lee, chorney (look for lee to log Carle like hours on the ice an produce dbl digit goals and 50 points)

finley, jones (why break them up now)

radke, bina/genoway (look for radke to become more of an enforcer)

PP is obvious (oshie, toews, duncan, lee, chorney)

I don't expect to see Michael Forney on one of the top two lines right away. He has potential, but he is very inexperienced and coming off of multiple injuries. Oshie, Toews, and Duncan are no-brainers. Porter and Kozek should have the inside track at spots on the top lines. After that, it may be up for grabs.

I don't expect to see Michael Forney on one of the top two lines right away. He has potential, but he is very inexperienced and coming off of multiple injuries. Oshie, Toews, and Duncan are no-brainers. Porter and Kozek should have the inside track at spots on the top lines. After that, it may be up for grabs.

I would agree that he is not going to come in as one of the top 6 forwards, but I think his talant, attributes (size), and those around him will land him on a top line (also I think you could switch him and Vandevelde very easily).

The only thing I agree with is the multiple injuries bit putting a ? behind Forney's position. Other than that, we had only slightly less expectations of Oshie's performance when he came to UND. Experience wise, Forney and Oshie are similar. Both played in the same high school division. Both had similar amount of USHL games. The only difference is that I don't know how many international competitions Oshie competed in before suiting up for the Sioux. I know Forney has been in a few.

toews, duncan, porter (porter will be asked to provide more scoring than he did last year)

oshie, kozek, forney (koz will be an animal this year)

kaip, fabian, watkins (grind line that will score)

bishop, vandevelde, zajac (bishop will probably be our fastest player paired with 2 guys with a nose for the puck)

finley, jones (why break them up now)

I agree with your first two lines with Forney and Porter being interchangeable but Toews, Duncan and Porter played together at the end of last year when Stafford was hurt and had a pretty good Final Five. I like the third line but I believe we will have to mix and match it better spreading out the experience and youth a little bit. I like Kaip, Fabian, Vandevelde. Then Zajac, Miller Watkins. Also Finley played with Radke last year and Jones played with Smaby.

I agree with your first two lines with Forney and Porter being interchangeable but Toews, Duncan and Porter played together at the end of last year when Stafford was hurt and had a pretty good Final Five. I like the third line but I believe we will have to mix and match it better spreading out the experience and youth a little bit. I like Kaip, Fabian, Vandevelde. Then Zajac, Miller Watkins. Also Finley played with Radke last year and Jones played with Smaby.

my bad about jones/smaby, you are correct. At least I didn't project a spot for Lapointe!

how about an all BCHL line (Kozek, Duncan, Watkins)?

Generally, I feel like people are selling Watkins short a bit. I agree that Oshie, Toews and Duncan are in the group of the top six forwards, and I also agree that Porter and Kozek are likely candidates to join that list. But Watkins is faster than some of those guys, and while he's not as flashy, he can see the ice. For example, two of Kaip's Spring goals came directly off Watkins' stick. I think he'll surprise people by being in the mix for a top six forward spot this year.

my bad about jones/smaby, you are correct. At least I didn't project a spot for Lapointe!

I'd like to stick with the All-Shattuck line with Porter, Toews and Duncan.

Hey now... Take it easy... ;)

Edit: Also for whatever reason last year Watkins and Kozek did not click, I wouldn't force it just because they have similar backgrounds.

Generally, I feel like people are selling Watkins short a bit. I agree that Oshie, Toews and Duncan are in the group of the top six forwards, and I also agree that Porter and Kozek are likely candidates to join that list. But Watkins is faster than some of those guys, and while he's not as flashy, he can see the ice. For example, two of Kaip's Spring goals came directly off Watkins' stick. I think he'll surprise people by being in the mix for a top six forward spot this year.

I like Watkins and his game. If he can consistently show some of that playmaking you are referring to (I'm remembering the behind the back pass while he faced the boards) you may be right. I'm not as confident we'll get that this year so my list would have him serving a very important role on the 3rd line but someone's got to be in the top 6 and I'm not sure any of our freshmen will be there. So Watkins may be as good a choice as any.

Anybody think there is a chance that Fabian gets a shot on one of the first two lines. Say maybe a line of Toews-Duncan-Porter and Fabian-Oshie-Kozek. I have a feeling that Oshie line could put some real punishment on opposing D-men on the forecheck.

IRanger, I have considered the exact lines you posted. Not everyone on a scoring line needs to be flashy and swift. (Geez, looks like I just slammed Fabian.) I think nearly all of Fabian's goals in his Sioux career have been scored within three feet of the crease. Is there room on a scoring line for someone who will create space for his (perhaps) more talented linemates, who will occupy the goalie by camping out in front of him, and who has soft hands in front of the net?

I also like the Oshie-Fabian-Kozek line pairing as top line or second line, then counter with Porter-Toews-Duncan as the other top line. So much talent, and all of them are returning experienced players in WCHA play. Duncan and Toews were unstoppable last spring in the playoffs, and Oshie would work great with Fabian. How can you not like a grinder like Fabian crashing the net and Oshie finishing off plays?

UND will have a little bit tougher time matching up their third and fourth lines with a variety of players with some experience and others no experience at all. Watkins is my seventh top forward choice, so he should be on third line with a playmaker and hard-working grinder. Maybe VandeVelde and Kaip with Watkins to form line #3. Miller and Forney with Bishop to form the fourth line.

On defense, keep the pairings as close to what they were last year. Chorney with Lee, Radke with Finley and Jones with Bina.

Miller might be the type of player that will work better with more talented players. He showed glimpses last year, and who knows if he might get a chance to work with the top two lines. I'm sure there will be a lot of experimentation in camp to see who can step up into those positions. I would think that five of the six forward spots are going to involve Oshie, Toews, Kozek, Duncan and Porter. Maybe Fabian gets his chance on the top two lines, or maybe its a free for all. It's not like line 3 doesn't have very significant importance for the team -- it always does. Nice to be able to start speculating on line combinations anyways.