SiouxSports.com Forum

Mid-Summer Classic Thread

siouxnami

I'm sure we'll see plenty of line combos the first half the of the year.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Fabian makes an appearance on the powerplay. Camping out in front of the net is something we need in the powerplay and Fabian can do it. However, Fabians main asset is his defensive play. He's solid in the corners, solid on the forecheck, and solid in the defensive zone. He is the captain, if you will, of the grinding line, if you ask me. This isn't a knock on Fabian as I feel it is just as important to have a line that can shut down the oppoent's scoring lines as it is to have a scoring line that can exploit the opponent.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like the Oshie-Fabian-Kozek line pairing as top line or second line, then counter with Porter-Toews-Duncan as the other top line. So much talent, and all of them are returning experienced players in WCHA play. Duncan and Toews were unstoppable last spring in the playoffs, and Oshie would work great with Fabian. How can you not like a grinder like Fabian crashing the net and Oshie finishing off plays?

UND will have a little bit tougher time matching up their third and fourth lines with a variety of players with some experience and others no experience at all. Watkins is my seventh top forward choice, so he should be on third line with a playmaker and hard-working grinder. Maybe VandeVelde and Kaip with Watkins to form line #3. Miller and Forney with Bishop to form the fourth line.

On defense, keep the pairings as close to what they were last year. Chorney with Lee, Radke with Finley and Jones with Bina.

You think Bishop will play over Zajac?

You think Bishop will play over Zajac?

My mistake, I forgot about Zajac being a choice for a forward spot. I didn't have the list of players next to me when I made this post and couldn't remember all names perfectly. I actually like Zajac ahead of Bishop, either on third or fourth line. But, there'll definitely be some major line experimentation this first half of exciting Sioux hockey 2006-2007 season.

My mistake, I forgot about Zajac being a choice for a forward spot. I didn't have the list of players next to me when I made this post and couldn't remember all names perfectly. I actually like Zajac ahead of Bishop, either on third or fourth line. But, there'll definitely be some major line experimentation this first half of exciting Sioux hockey 2006-2007 season.

I'm not saying I'm correct, but I think Bishop will fight for time initially. Of course, as I have demonstrated many time my opinion means nothing...

Forney-Oshie-Porter would be an absolutely punishing line. A wonderful thing to envision, but probably not too likely. A Watkins-Oshie-Porter line or Kozek-Oshie-Porter could be a good combination with Duncan-Toews-Fabian thrown in the mix as well. Lots of wonderful possibilites here. Whatever the top two lines are, there is going to be someone who likely deserves to be up there, but has to fill a role on the third line.

I'm not saying I'm correct, but I think Bishop will fight for time initially. Of course, as I have demonstrated many time my opinion means nothing...

Siouxnami, I don't know who will be correct about Zajac or Bishop playing over the other. I do believe that Zajac may play ahead of Bishop, I had just initially forgotten Zajac's name. I like Zajac's fiesty yet offensive style, and Bishop is a complete unknown to me at this point. We'll see what Hakstol decides to do though.

Siouxnami, I don't know who will be correct about Zajac or Bishop playing over the other. I do believe that Zajac may play ahead of Bishop, I had just initially forgotten Zajac's name. I like Zajac's fiesty yet offensive style, and Bishop is a complete unknown to me at this point. We'll see what Hakstol decides to do though.

I have him pegged as a good pairing with Kaip and Fabian, a line that can shut down the opposition.

Very true, you can't break up Fabian and Kaip; Kozek doesn't match very well with Watkins. Toews played dynamite with Duncan last season in the playoffs, and Oshie would be a very good match with Kozek. Kozek can finish like Travis Zajac, and Oshie is the playmaker who can get the puck to talented teammates and also finish himself. Toews will dish the puck to Duncan where no one else can get the puck to, and Porter with Toews and Duncan is a great combo in my mind. The third line will be our famous checking line that shuts down the opposition and once again, I say you can't break up Fabian and Kaip. They played great together last year, some good chemistry there. Fabian deserves a top two line spot, but he's more suited on the checking line with Kaip and Watkins; this way you've got a checking line that can contribute offensively night in and night out. The fourth line will be comprised of a freshman-laden line full of energy and spark, which is the duties of a fourth line. Miller will be a little experience to help the freshmen along.

On defense, Chorney and Lee have to be kept together as they were solid last year on the blueline. Finley and Radke also should stay together as experience and chemistry was there too. Those two line pairings are quite a no-brainer unless Hakstol sees something we don't, but I wouldn't change what isn't broken. Now, we look for a third line pairing. Jones has to play night in and night out because he's an animal and a stud on the blueline. Bina is coming back, and he'll be full of motivation and inspiration, will provide a spark for the team, so I pair Jones with Bina.

Goaltending is tough because rumor has it Grieco will come in and steal Lamoureux's spot as the starter, but both goalies will be given the chance to shine as #1. Can't expect Grieco to come in immediately and be the top goalie, but will be given the opportunity to play a lot. Lamoureux and Grieco will be split #1 and #2 until one emerges as the #1 go-to guy. Walski should once again be riding the bench and be the extra practice goalie this year again unless one guy were to get hurt. That's his only way of moving up the depth chart to #2 otherwise he'll be #3 all year.

My new more-thought about line combinations is as follows:

Line 1 Forwards:

Toews

Duncan

Porter

Line 2 Forwards:

Oshie

Kozek

Zajac

Line 3 Forwards:

Fabian

Kaip

Watkins

Line 4 Forards:

Miller

Forney

Bishop

Extra Forwards:

VandeVelde

Martens

Foyt

Line 1 Defense:

Chorney

Lee

Line 2 Defense:

Finley

Radke

Line 3 Defense:

Jones

Bina

Extra Defense:

Alexander

Genoway

Goalies:

Grieco

Lamoureux

Walski

Goaltending is tough because rumor has it Grieco will come in and steal Lamoureux's spot as the starter...

Isn't that like saying: "Rumor has it that Forney will replace Oshie as the team's leading scorer"? ???

If Forney DID outscore Oshie, that would mean a LOT of Goals!!! I like that rumor. ???

Well, yeah, except that Oshie has never been the team's leading scorer, just as Lamoureux is not the starting goalie.

I think the correct word is "speculation," not rumor.

My new more-thought about line combinations is as follows:

Line 1 Forwards:

Toews

Duncan

Porter

Line 2 Forwards:

Oshie

Kozek

Zajac

Line 3 Forwards:

Fabian

Kaip

Watkins

Line 4 Forards:

Miller

Forney

Bishop

Extra Forwards:

VandeVelde

Martens

Foyt

Line 1 Defense:

Chorney

Lee

Line 2 Defense:

Finley

Radke

Line 3 Defense:

Jones

Bina

Extra Defense:

Alexander

Genoway

Goalies:

Grieco

Lamoureux

Walski

I agree with your line combos but would replace Miller with Vandy.

I've heard goalie pads/gloves will be smaller this year. Is that true and will it impact Lammy's play?

I've heard goalie pads/gloves will be smaller this year. Is that true and will it impact Lammy's play?

There is no rule change that will make goaltending equipment smaller, only more frequent checks of current rules by officials. Start a rumour like that and you are likely to give Briggs heartfailure as he's already a big enough sieve. ???

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12647/ReportO...teeMeeting.html

Sterling-

Hmmmm I may go more with replacing Bishop with Vandevelde rather than Miller unless both Bishop and Vande outplay him.

It's an interesting situation to be in:

As I see it, the upsides are:

Miller: experience (as it were), stickhandling

Vandevelde: Size, work ethic

Bishop: Speeeeeeeeeeed

Quick clarifications: I do know that Miller didn't play a lot last year, but he has more games at the DI level under his belt than both Bishop and Vande combined.

Second, I didn't list offensive potential behind any of them because they all hold that as an asset.

Sounds like Alexander is probably gone:

http://gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/20.../latest-on.html

I talked to Todd in the early part of July and asked him about the possibility of him transferring. He said he was looking into going to St. John's but it was not final yet. He said he wanted to make a final decision by the last week in July.

I have tried to get a hold of him several times since, but he is working long and late hours this summer. I left messages three times but haven't heard back. So, unless I hear from him soon, I will probably give up trying to reach him for a while.

It sounds very unlikely that he will be returning to UND, though.

Alexander played in three games last season and would have been behind a stacked defensive group again this season. Without Alexander, I would expect Scott Foyt to skate at defense quite a bit.

Well, yeah, except that Oshie has never been the team's leading scorer, just as Lamoureux is not the starting goalie.

I think the correct word is "speculation," not rumor.

PCM, very correct there. I didn't use the right word in my sentences, I should have used "speculation" as you said. I stand corrected.

Right now I'm inserting Miller in that slot as VandeVelde is an unknown until season is underway. Talent-wise Vandy may be better than Miller, and may play ahead of him. I'm going with experience to start the season though.

Right now I'm inserting Miller in that slot as VandeVelde is an unknown until season is underway. Talent-wise Vandy may be better than Miller, and may play ahead of him. I'm going with experience to start the season though.

Vandevelde has good size and is an NHL draft pick, I seriously doubt he will sit...

Vandevelde has good size and is an NHL draft pick, I seriously doubt he will sit...

Siouxnami, that is very good point about Vandy being an NHL draft pick. Miller has some experience, as little as it is and easily could be overtaken by Vandy in the draft. I would have to say that I've been persuaded to change my mind and expect VandeVelde to play ahead of Miller on the fourth line and maybe even the third line depending on chemistry.

Siouxnami, that is very good point about Vandy being an NHL draft pick. Miller has some experience, as little as it is and easily could be overtaken by Vandy in the draft. I would have to say that I've been persuaded to change my mind and expect VandeVelde to play ahead of Miller on the fourth line and maybe even the third line depending on chemistry.

Vandevelde was drafted already. Miller went undrafted.

I think you are picking on the wrong freshman. If you ask me, as I've already stated, if Miller were to platoon with any freshman, it would be Bishop, not Vandevelde.

Sterling-

Hmmmm I may go more with replacing Bishop with Vandevelde rather than Miller unless both Bishop and Vande outplay him.

It's an interesting situation to be in:

As I see it, the upsides are:

Miller: experience (as it were), stickhandling

Vandevelde: Size, work ethic

Bishop: Speeeeeeeeeeed

Quick clarifications: I do know that Miller didn't play a lot last year, but he has more games at the DI level under his belt than both Bishop and Vande combined.

Second, I didn't list offensive potential behind any of them because they all hold that as an asset.

I realize Miller has more games under his belt and my opinion on Vandy may be somewhat biased as I know the family pretty well, but watching Miller get pounded and pushed around for 15 games last year without registering a point, I have doubts about his ability to adjust to D1. Don't disagree that Vandy is unknown, but he is an NHL draft choice with good size and is a natural goal scorer. I'll take Vandevelde over the other two.

I realize Miller has more games under his belt and my opinion on Vandy may be somewhat biased as I know the family pretty well, but watching Miller get pounded and pushed around for 15 games last year without registering a point, I have doubts about his ability to adjust to D1. Don't disagree that Vandy is unknown, but he is an NHL draft choice with good size and is a natural goal scorer. I'll take Vandevelde over the other two.

One thing to keep in mind here is that Miller was coming off of shoulder surgery last summer. I'm sure that it limited his time in the weight room and maybe put him a little behind some of the other incoming freshmen last year. Although Miller did get knocked around some, I did see signs of good things to come from him. I think he has tremendous hands, and he does not let his size prohibit him from playing the game, he went to the net with the puck as hard as I had seen anyone else last year. Given the opportunity, I think he will come around just fine.

In Miller's defense, he had serious shoulder surgery in the Spring of 2005, so he basically missed the offseason workout that preceded last season. We will get a much better read on him this season, after a typical offseason regimen.

In addition, their USHL performances suggest Miller may be a more natural goalscorer than Vandevelde, as Miller scored pretty well on a horrible Green Bay team, while Vandevelde didn't light it up for Lincoln last year.

And just to clarify, I'm not rooting against Vandevelde, just defending Miller. I'd like to see them both do well.

Edit: Looks like THETRIOUXPER beat me to it.

You all bring up very good points about Miller vs. Bishop or VandeVelde. Now after reading more into the players and hearing information about them that I previously didn't know, I would have to put VandeVelde over Bishop and Miller. Now, someone is going to be sitting and who that is will be the coach's decision. Luckily we as fans won't have to, and when they're battling for the final spots then it only means we have some quality depth and decent talent within our team to push the others to perform up to standards. Otherwise, those who don't perform will be in the stands watching from the pressbox. I like what could happen with this team a lot, there's going to be great action very soon.