SiouxSports.com Forum

Mid-Summer Classic Thread

siouxnami

I would be a little more hesitant about selling ANYONE short. You never know who is going to pan out or not. Miller may have only played 15 games last year, but that's 15 more NCAA, WCHA, D1 hockey games than Vandy or Bishop. Aside from that I saw Miller not to long ago, and he's definitely been in the weight room.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be a little more hesitant about selling ANYONE short. You never know who is going to pan out or not. Miller may have only played 15 games last year, but that's 15 more NCAA, WCHA, D1 hockey games than Vandy or Bishop. Aside from that I saw Miller not to long ago, and he's definitely been in the weight room.

vande velde will be a very nice player for the sioux, he wasn't drafted that high for no reason. i think he may be a important part of our success with all the key departures...he will be in the lineup every single game.....bishop and miller should battle for one of the last forward spots and i guess we will have to wait to see how everything shakes out

I'm not discounting Vandy's ability, I'm just saying Miller is not going to lay down and say "go ahead take a spot in the lineup away from me". It will be a dog fight for all spots, and I think Miller will suprise a few this year. As far as draft position being indicative of how a particular recruit's season is going to be, I got two words for ya "Blake Wheeler" ???

Actually, I don't mind Wheeler at all and wish him all the best. I agree, let the boy's lace them up and see what happens, as I've said many times before. Last year at this time people on this very board were skeptical of the decision to bring in Oshie. Some comments I remember were "he needs a year in the USHL", "he'll be lucky to crack the lineup and see limited ice time", ect. ect. Funny what a difference a year makes, and how quickly we all forget lessons learned. We just never know how these things shake out, until the season starts. Speculation is always fun and things often look good on paper but sometimes reality is quite different.

I hope they all do well and it will likely be a battle for the last spot. IMHO, Vandevelde would be my guy too. Although Moorhead didn't win the state his Sr year, Chris dominated the semi-final game and was clearly the best player on the ice that night. I think he has more potential to develop into a top WCHA player than Miller does. But all we can do is speculate.

We will see this season, but I think that Miller is really going to be a steller offensive weapon. We played last season weak, if not hurt. Before the injury, his coach in the USHL called him the best offensive player on the team (that included Blake Wheeler). As for getting pushed around, I also did not see that. As a forth line player he struggled to get in a grove, but showed so offensive flashes. He took a beautiful breakout pass against SCCC and sniped one of the crossbar. It's hard to get in a grove when you are killing as many penalties as the Sioux did last year.

I also don't agree with slamming Blake Wheeler, I wish we had him. I don't think he was worthy of the 5th pick, but he is a legit prospect, and had some great games as a freshman for UMTC.

As for Vandevelde, the Sioux are a much smaller team than we have seen recently, which makes me think that VAndy and Forney will be fixtures in the lineup.

Finally, I would not rule out seeing Martens, because we have seen players we never noticed step up unexpectedly. Fabian as a freshman comes to mind. Keep in mind that if Lee and Chorney are coming back 15-20 pounds heavier, and number of players could be vastly different (except for tOshie, who was already perfect ;) ). If Bishop breaks into the lineup it will be because he earned it.

BTW, isn't this a nice problem to have with the 4th line, especially given that injuries (and WJCs) WILL happen. ???

We will see this season, but I think that Miller is really going to be a steller offensive weapon. We played last season weak, if not hurt. Before the injury, his coach in the USHL called him the best offensive player on the team (that included Blake Wheeler). As for getting pushed around, I also did not see that. As a forth line player he struggled to get in a grove, but showed so offensive flashes. He took a beautiful breakout pass against SCCC and sniped one of the crossbar. It's hard to get in a grove when you are killing as many penalties as the Sioux did last year.

I also don't agree with slamming Blake Wheeler, I wish we had him. I don't think he was worthy of the 5th pick, but he is a legit prospect, and had some great games as a freshman for UMTC.

As for Vandevelde, the Sioux are a much smaller team than we have seen recently, which makes me think that VAndy and Forney will be fixtures in the lineup.

Finally, I would not rule out seeing Martens, because we have seen players we never noticed step up unexpectedly. Fabian as a freshman comes to mind. Keep in mind that if Lee and Chorney are coming back 15-20 pounds heavier, and number of players could be vastly different (except for tOshie, who was already perfect ;) ). If Bishop breaks into the lineup it will be because he earned it.

BTW, isn't this a nice problem to have with the 4th line, especially given that injuries (and WJCs) WILL happen. ???

Dude, I was just poking a little fun at Wheeler is all, that's why I put the laughing face there. I also went on to say that I like Wheeler, hell last year at the World Junior's I thought it was a shame he rode the pine so much and said so right here on SS. Just having a little fun is all, nothing serious.

Sterling- Essentially we are agreeing with each other. I cited Vande's size as an asset. I think all three of them have a strong offensive upside.

Miller's biggest weakness is his strength. He didn't get knocked off the puck last season, he got thrown off of it. I realize that he was coming off of major shoulder surgery, so I discount some of them, but seriously, there were times where he'd get a body check (not even a big hit at that) and he'd go flying off the puck. I have no doubt in my mind that Miller's not going to take a seat and say "Gawash, skippah, I jus' here to warm da pines!" In fact, if he (or any Sioux player) has that type of attitude, I don't think he should be on the team! I hope Martens, Genoway, Miller, Foyt, Bishop, and Vandevelde all make the people ahead of them look over their shoulders on the depth chart because that means they are forcing the hands of the established players and that makes EVERYONE better.

FWIW, I watched Martens play during the Harvard series last year and, though he didn't really do much offensively, he wasn't a liability either. And he did hustle a lot, worked hard every time he touched the ice, and he tried to throw his weight around. If given the opportunity, Martens could very well be another Erik Fabian.

I definitely agree about Martens and Miller here, and I also agree about VandeVelde, Bishop, Zajac and Forney. Zajac and Forney are ahead of VandeVelde and Bishop in my honest opinion but not too far behind. The fourth line will probably feature numerous combinations with Martens, Miller, VandeVelde and Bishop until three of those guys emerge as the final three forwards on the team.

I do like the fact that the players ahead of these above players will hopefully be looking over their shoulders because competition within the team will make everyone that much better, work that much harder and produce that much more. That can only do one thing to the team, it'll make them better!! The better they get, the better the season they'll all have, then the team has a real good season. Let's hope this is how it works out for Hakstol and co. Go Sioux baby!! I'm so pumped just for the first game against Manitoba, it's going to be an exciting season.

On a side note, anybody have an inside idea of when "Meet The Sioux" will be? I am excited to see these guys who've changed since last season from the weight room and the new freshmen too. It's also going to be great to see how this Grieco kid pans out, let's hope for a goaltending dual with Grieco and Lamoureux. I wish the season started now.

I definitely agree about Martens and Miller here, and I also agree about VandeVelde, Bishop, Zajac and Forney. Zajac and Forney are ahead of VandeVelde and Bishop in my honest opinion but not too far behind. The fourth line will probably feature numerous combinations with Martens, Miller, VandeVelde and Bishop until three of those guys emerge as the final three forwards on the team.

I do like the fact that the players ahead of these above players will hopefully be looking over their shoulders because competition within the team will make everyone that much better, work that much harder and produce that much more. That can only do one thing to the team, it'll make them better!! The better they get, the better the season they'll all have, then the team has a real good season. Let's hope this is how it works out for Hakstol and co. Go Sioux baby!! I'm so pumped just for the first game against Manitoba, it's going to be an exciting season.

On a side note, anybody have an inside idea of when "Meet The Sioux" will be? I am excited to see these guys who've changed since last season from the weight room and the new freshmen too. It's also going to be great to see how this Grieco kid pans out, let's hope for a goaltending dual with Grieco and Lamoureux. I wish the season started now.

Speaking of Grieco, I guess no one bothered to tell the St Michaels Major Junior team that their goalie prospect has decided to go to college instead. He is in their current Meet the Prospects feature on their website. ???

http://www.stmichaelsmajors.com/features/p...cts.php?id=1106

Speaking of guys in the weight room, Brian Lee was helping out with dry land training at my son's hockey camp this summer and he has bulked up as well. With the signing of CC's Brian Salcido, Lee has the potential to rival Goligoski for the highest scoring defenseman in the league this year. Can't wait for the puck to drop! Of course that all depends on whether he stays another season too.. ???

Speaking of guys in the weight room, Brian Lee was helping out with dry land training at my son's hockey camp this summer and he has bulked up as well. With the signing of CC's Brian Salcido, Lee has the potential to rival Goligoski for the highest scoring defenseman in the league this year. Can't wait for the puck to drop! Of course that all depends on whether he stays another season too.. ???

I wouldn't worry about this year as Ottawa is set on D. The only outstanding issue for the Senators is whether or not they will sign Bucky's Goalie. Word here in Ottawa is that another NHL team (Islanders?) is looking at signing away the number three on their goalie depth chart, Billie Thompson. If that happens they will have a hole to fill.

I wouldn't worry about this year as Ottawa is set on D. The only outstanding issue for the Senators is whether or not they will sign Bucky's Goalie. Word here in Ottawa is that another NHL team (Islanders?) is looking at signing away the number three on their goalie depth chart, Billie Thompson. If that happens they will have a hole to fill.

And wouldn't that just be a shame. ???

I could see Miller on the 4th line, but then getting some time on the power play because he has great hands and when he gets stronger (especially his lower body) he could score some goals. I think he has potential to be a great player when he is a Junior and Senior.

People aren't expecting much from Zajac and he is no Travis, but I bet he will surprise a lot of people this year.

They aren't looking. Billy Thompson is no longer a Senator.

Interesting because the Senators had listed every other transaction including the two signings yesterday on their website roster and depth chart. That leaves them one goaltender short to fill the four minor league slots in the AHL and ECHL. I don't see anyone else in their prospect list who is ready other than Elliot and they don't have the money to go free agent shopping within the existing goaltender pool. I don't see them trading to get that fifth goalie so that kind of narrows their options doesn't it.

http://www2.ottawasenators.com/eng/Team/depth.cfm

Interesting because the Senators had listed every other transaction including the two signings yesterday on their website roster and depth chart. That leaves them one goaltender short to fill the four minor league slots in the AHL and ECHL. I don't see anyone else in their prospect list who is ready other than Elliot and they don't have the money to go free agent shopping within the existing goaltender pool. I don't see them trading to get that fifth goalie so that kind of narrows their options doesn't it.

http://www2.ottawasenators.com/eng/Team/depth.cfm

I'd think that too, but so far, no dice.

Right now, their NHL tandem is pretty set (Gerber and Emery) and their AHL tandem (if they choose to do it that way) is set in Kelly Guard and Jeff Glass. If they choose Guard as the #1 goaltender in Binghampton, then they could send Glass back to the ECHL to be the #1 goaltender down there, leaving the backup AHL and ECHL slots available to whomever (I'd guess the backup ECHL slot would be an ECHL goaltender rather than one assigned to the ECHL by Ottawa, but I'm not in the loop on those things. It is just that that was the case this past season where Billy Thompson and Kelly Guard played at the AHL level and Glass at the ECHL level).

We'll have to see. UW has been hit pretty good thus far with defections of recruits, but so far has only lost two players that were already on the team. If they lose Elliot, things could REALLY be different for that team.

Right now, their NHL tandem is pretty set (Gerber and Emery) and their AHL tandem (if they choose to do it that way) is set in Kelly Guard and Jeff Glass. If they choose Guard as the #1 goaltender in Binghampton, then they could send Glass back to the ECHL to be the #1 goaltender down there, leaving the backup AHL and ECHL slots available to whomever (I'd guess the backup ECHL slot would be an ECHL goaltender rather than one assigned to the ECHL by Ottawa, but I'm not in the loop on those things. It is just that that was the case this past season where Billy Thompson and Kelly Guard played at the AHL level and Glass at the ECHL level).

We'll have to see. UW has been hit pretty good thus far with defections of recruits, but so far has only lost two players that were already on the team. If they lose Elliot, things could REALLY be different for that team.

I think Ottawa believed they were going to sign Thompson when they agreed to Elliot returning to Wisconsin. However, with only four Pro quality goalies they could find themselves in trouble with an injury to any one of them. You don't leave your NHL or AHL team short so they will have to sign one more capable Goalie. This late in the game I just can't imagine where they are going to find an affordable replacement other than their ninth round pick

I definitely don't know as much about Ottawa's situation as far as goaltending, and I'm nowhere near the expertise level about the AHL or ECHL stuff with Ottawa, but if they lose a goalie to injury and need a replacement; I believe Elliott may be their only option this late in the summer before training camp starts. They still have an opportunity to sign Elliott who had a huge season last year, his stock may not get any higher but may still. Who knows how things will pan out, we'll see what happens.