SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux at NHL Development Camps

Sioux_Hab-it

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in a HF post from an observer at the Edmonton prospect camp. The poster is quite credible, but of course it's just one person's opinion:

"#58 Chris Vande Velde: I was not impressed until the final day in the scrimmage. He's one of the youngest guys here so that should be taken into consideration when it comes to size and strength, but he made some superb passes. North Dakota will be rgeat for him, no rush here."

I believe Chorney did not attend the camp as he apparently had a prior commitment to work a hockey camp.

Blackhawks prospect camp roster. Bochenski as well as other pros are also there taking part in the Jansen skating instruction only.

Toews, as well as four other prospects from last year's gold medal Canadian WJC team, will leave camp two days early for Toronto, where the WJC team will be honored for their win last January.

Famous gopher killer Tyler McGregor is in camp as a tryout invitee.

Q&A with Mike Haviland after day one of Blackhawk camp.

Were there any players you were especially excited to get a glimpse of this year?

Well, I'll really tell you ... Jack Skille didn't skate last year (due to elbow surgery) and I really think he's going to be some player for the Blackhawks down the road, I really do. He jumped out at me for sure, and obviously our 1st rounder there (Jonathan Toews) -- he was real good. Those two guys jumped out for me the first day.

I found these little bits on a Blackhawks Fan Blog.

To answer some of the previous fitness questions, Toews was walking around without his shoulder pads or jersey before taking the ice and this kid has an NHL body already. He was totally ripped, and no I am not ######.
Toews jumped right in and seemed like he was leading his group of players.

I talked with Towes and asked him where he thought he would be playing this year and he seemed excited and hopeful. Maybe he has a legit chance to make the squad! He definitely does not look like a sophmore in college except for the babyface.

I would say there is little chance Toews is back next year. That loss would really put a rubber stamp on a very long offseason. If we lose Toews in my opinion we are in for a very mediocre year. The coaches are really going to have their work cut out for them.

I would say there is little chance Toews is back next year. That loss would really put a rubber stamp on a very long offseason. If we lose Toews in my opinion we are in for a very mediocre year. The coaches are really going to have their work cut out for them.

I agree to a point. I thought the same thing last year and the year before, look where we ended up. Two years we lost Bochenski and ZPar, last year was all the Senior defenseman, this year we all know about. But I think I will stick with what works, the team is going to be mediocre again for a third year in a row. Here is looking to the Frozen Four, for a third time in a row. :ohmy:

I agree to a point. I thought the same thing last year and the year before, look where we ended up. Two years we lost Bochenski and ZPar, last year was all the Senior defenseman, this year we all know about. But I think I will stick with what works, the team is going to be mediocre again for a third year in a row. Here is looking to the Frozen Four, for a third time in a row. :ohmy:

Yes, but we were replacing those guys with top end talent. This year's recruiting class does not have that star power. Some of the guys may develop into good college players, but I don't think any of the incoming freshman are going to put up huge numbers as a freshman. There is no one on the roster that can fill the shoes of Toews. If he leaves the only dominant forward we have is Oshie. Compare that to last year's team and the depth is just not there.

Here is some insight as to how Porter and Toews are doing in the camp.

http://supportive-hawkfans.blogspot.com/

I found the link through the Chicago Blackhawks message board. Both Porter and Toews scored in the scrimmage.

"3-2 White today, Goals from Porter (off a faceoff win from Lagerstrom), Toews (beauty 1 on 1 w/Crawford and Toews Schooled him), and Antilla.Brouwer scored on a penalty shot (nice move) and Auger (i believe) Poked home a rebound off of a nice effort by Dowell"

Yes, but we were replacing those guys with top end talent. This year's recruiting class does not have that star power. Some of the guys may develop into good college players, but I don't think any of the incoming freshman are going to put up huge numbers as a freshman. There is no one on the roster that can fill the shoes of Toews. If he leaves the only dominant forward we have is Oshie. Compare that to last year's team and the depth is just not there.

That is true. I guess we can always hope for another Oshie in the ruff. I am still hoping for and believe we have a good chance at the Frozen Four. even though at this point I will be happy just to see them make the NCAA Regionals. Atleast most of the defense is still intact and another year older.

Next year we don't need to depend on Freshmen. Last year UND had 13 freshmen and needed to depend on them. Next year UND will have one of the best groups of defensemen in college hockey. 6 experienced defensemen, I bet our overall league record will be better than the last 2 years. That doesn't mean we will get as far in the playoffs.

People are to in love with high powered offense. Look at the last NCAA champs have been Wisconsin and Denver.

People are to in love with high powered offense. Look at the last NCAA champs have been Wisconsin and Denver.

Typically you need to have balance. The exception recently was the '03-'04 DU crew who really had Berkhoel. That was all they needed. UW was plenty good offensively much of the year last season. DU in '04-'05 lit teams up like Christmas trees, statistically they were #2 in the nation and #1 by a bunch in the WCHA on offense. Cornell and Maine have had recent teams that were brilliant defensively, but couldn't muster anything offensively when they needed it.

Rumor has it that Johnson didn't impress enough to stick with the Blues. Update, apparently it was more than a rumor

Uhh... the Blues prospect camp is still more than a week away. Him going to college doesn't have anything to do with him not impressing the team.

Uhh... the Blues prospect camp is still more than a week away. Him going to college doesn't have anything to do with him not impressing the team.

Wow, I am surprised that they didn't see what he could do first. Hopefully they will make the same pre-camp decision on Ohsie.

Wow, I am surprised that they didn't see what he could do first. Hopefully they will make the same pre-camp decision on Ohsie.

Hope you're right on Oshie. SL apparently decided not to start the FA clock ticking. Too bad some other teams aren't doing that. Would seem teams like the Blackhawks, at the bottom along with SL, would be just as smart, but I wouldn't bet on it.