SiouxSports.com Forum

MidCon Conference Decision on Tuesday

star2city

Conference Issues  

41 members have voted

1. 1. MidCon Choices for Membership on Tuesday?

• IPFW only
    • IPFW & Texas Pan Am
    • IPFW, SDSU, NDSU
    • IPFW, Texas-Pan Am, & SDSU
    • IPFW, UTPA, SDSU, NDSU, UVSC
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. What will be UND's first all-sports DI Conference?

• MidContinent before 2011
    • MidContinent after 2011
    • Big Sky in 2008-9
    • Big Sky after 2008
    • Reconfigured DI NCC

The Midcon has now announced site visits over the summer to NDSU, SDSU and IPFW. I would suspect that means barring anything strange happening the MidCon will take three and extend the invites at an upcoming meeting of the Presidents.

Mid Con Release

Mid-Con_Color-web.jpg

Congratulations. It looks like the invite should be coming later this year.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Midcon has now announced site visits over the summer to NDSU, SDSU and IPFW. I would suspect that means barring anything strange happening the MidCon will take three and extend the invites at an upcoming meeting of the Presidents.

Mid Con Release

I'm declaring victory with this prediction:

I believe the Mid-Con will only go so far as to declare various "campus visits" and then set a selection date sometime within the next four months.

Mid Con Release

Congratulations to Bison ad Jacks fans! After a long and agonizing wait this is a major step forward for your athletic programs. For we UND fans, the ten team (rather than 12 team) MidCon leaves room for us, and there always is the Big Sky possibility.

If I have a unaswered question, it is: Why did Tom Buning say this?

But there may be something said for (NDSU) being patient for something better (than the MidCon? ). I would think they would have to consider that option, too.

Seems LtCol Buning is more than implying there is another option coming - like when NDSU is fully eligible and UND joins the Di ranks. So what would that be? :lol:

Congratulations to Bison ad Jacks fans! After a long and agonizing wait this is a major step forward for your athletic programs. For we UND fans, the ten team (rather than 12 team) MidCon leaves room for us, and there always is the Big Sky possibility.

If I have a unaswered question, it is: Why did Tom Buning say this?

Seems LtCol Buning is more than implying there is another option coming - like when NDSU is fully eligible and UND joins the Di ranks. So what would that be? :lol:

Very wishful thinking on your part. Unless something happens to some of the members in the BSC, there not coming East for any member (specially only 1). If anything it's a bad day for DI UND. If the Mid-Con is content with 10 members and BSC doesn't feel the need to expand (specially east) will UND really make the move? Hell if the Mid Con didn't lose 2 of their members do you really think they'd be making this move?

Very wishful thinking on your part. Unless something happens to some of the members in the BSC, there not coming East for any member (specially only 1). If anything it's a bad day for DI UND. If the Mid-Con is content with 10 members and BSC doesn't feel the need to expand (specially east) will UND really make the move? Hell if the Mid Con didn't lose 2 of their members do you really think they'd be making this move?

Speaking of wishful thinking. :lol: UND is going D-I whether you like it or not. Accept it. Gee, I guess everyone will stay put for the next three years, there will be no new conference opportunities opening up. Get real. Congratulations on the upcoming Mid-Con bid, btw.

It would appear that right now UND needs to hope that the Mid-Con will be looking at expansion again in a few years to get the conference up to 12 from 10 (if all 3 site visits go well and the current list of IPFW,NDSU and SDSU get in). Otherwise the BSC expanding east will only happen when the west coast schools are out of the picture and I don't see that happening anytime soon if at all. So unless some other scenairo such as the DI NCC thing was to come to fruition which I think is unlikely UND is in a precarious position. Only time will tell but it looks like waiting may have been the worst thing you could have done and DII may still be an option given you are not even into your exploritory year yet. Maybe kupchella will get his way after all.

I'll change my post to congratulations to "some" Bison fans and also the Jacks. There always has to be one wise guy who when he gets good news will tell you how bad his good news is for you.

There have been many trials and tribulations for NDSU over the past couple of years over conference affiliation. Do you really think that "if" NDSU, SDSU and IPFW all get into the Mid-Con that there will be no conference openings for the foreseeable future. The only reason that I say "if" is because no invitations have been handed out yet. I sure wouldn't start gloating over things that you can't control.

The Big Sky may decide to expand in their fall meeting. Centenary or Oral Roberts may decide that the Mid-Con is not for them anymore. Who knows what could happen in the next couple of years.

As for whether UND is going to go through with the move to Division I, I don't think there is any question. The only ones I have seen question it, are a handful of Bison fans who don't UND to move to Division I.

I'll change my post to congratulations to "some" Bison fans and also the Jacks. There always has to be one wise guy who when he gets good news will tell you how bad his good news is for you.

There have been many trials and tribulations for NDSU over the past couple of years over conference affiliation. Do you really think that "if" NDSU, SDSU and IPFW all get into the Mid-Con that there will be no conference openings for the foreseeable future. The only reason that I say "if" is because no invitations have been handed out yet. I sure wouldn't start gloating over things that you can't control.

The Big Sky may decide to expand in their fall meeting. Centenary or Oral Roberts may decide that the Mid-Con is not for them anymore. Who knows what could happen in the next couple of years.

As for whether UND is going to go through with the move to Division I, I don't think there is any question. The only ones I have seen question it, are a handful of Bison fans who don't UND to move to Division I.

At this point I don't care what happens up there. I only pointed it out because of what your university president said. Your right and I already said it in my original post that no one knows whats going to happen, but given the current situation and events I don't see Centenary or Oral Roberts doing anything. When asked about the conference Oral Roberts officials said they were not concerened about the auto bid or the conference disappearing. In fact they are not looking as that question was asked and they confirmed their committment to the conference and have no plans of leaving the conference. Those are not my words they are from the officials at ORU. Yes I am happy that it looks like we are well on our way to conference affilliation and I only said I saw your situation as a "precarious one" which I think is an accurate comment. Not once did I wish any ill will or anything negative to UND. I'm not gloating either about the news just happy which any Bison fan has a right to be. Its a major hurdle (the conference affilitaion issue) and to get to this point by most peoples definition its a matter of crossing the T's and dotting the I's. So you can take it how you want but its only my opinion but I think its pretty much on the mark. ;)

At this point I don't care what happens up there. I only pointed it out because of what your university president said. Your right and I already said it in my original post that no one knows whats going to happen, but given the current situation and events I don't see Centenary or Oral Roberts doing anything. When asked about the conference Oral Roberts officials said they were not concerened about the auto bid or the conference disappearing. In fact they are not looking as that question was asked and they confirmed their committment to the conference and have no plans of leaving the conference. Those are not my words they are from the officials at ORU. Yes I am happy that it looks like we are well on our way to conference affilliation and I only said I saw your situation as a "precarious one" which I think is an accurate comment. Not once did I wish any ill will or anything negative to UND. I'm not gloating either about the news just happy which any Bison fan has a right to be. Its a major hurdle (the conference affilitaion issue) and to get to this point by most peoples definition its a matter of crossing the T's and dotting the I's. So you can take it how you want but its only my opinion but I think its pretty much on the mark. :lol:

I think you're mistaken as to whom I was responding. I referenced Bison Dan's post.

I do agree that the campus visit is probably a formality and that an invitation will be forthcoming.

I think that the visits (....invites?) may be a good thing for UND.

Pending invitation, they now have two more yes votes for conference membership.

Even if all members and the potential invitees stay, the Mid-Con will be unstable for the next decade. If one or more schools leave, things could get pretty bumpy. UND would bring its reputation and football team. The geography still sucks; however.

What UND really needs now is a partner for the move.

Even if all members and the potential invitees stay, the Mid-Con will be unstable for the next decade. If one or more schools leave, things could get pretty bumpy. UND would bring its reputation and football team. The geography still sucks; however.

UND fb will have a home with the GWFC. So what the above posts are saying that even if both the Mid-Con and BSC are fine in 2008 as far as members are concerned that there's no turning back. I thought that Kupchella said that with no conference invite by then that UND won't make the jump. My Bad. :lol:

UND fb will have a home with the GWFC. So what the above posts are saying that even if both the Mid-Con and BSC are fine in 2008 as far as members are concerned that there's no turning back. I thought that Kupchella said that with no conference invite by then that UND won't make the jump. My Bad. :lol:

I listened to the news conference and thought Scott Millers comments after talking with Gene Taylor were very interesting when it came to the GWFC. Scott questioned the conference's viability in the long term and Gene was asked during the news conference about the Gateway. Obviously he said our committment was to the GWFC but afterwards Miller even said the Gateway was in the footprint of the Mid-Con much better then the GWFC. I bet the wheels are already turning and if the opportunity arises for NDSU and SDSU to make the jump to the Gateway for football it will be a done deal.

Actually that vote to visit ONLY IPFW, SDSU & NDSU was a very encouraging sign for UND.

UVSU doesn't complete their transition to D-I until '10. UT-PA's advantage of being a core school right away didn't override the distance issues and support issues to get an invite now. UT-PA's advantage decreases over time.

Effectively, the mid-con is leaving open the expansion to 12 for a future time. EVEN WITH NO DEFECTIONS, there is expansion room. With the 2 DSU's on inside, UND is geographically in the footprint. USD or a MN NCC school would be good for travel partners.

I would think the news about the Mid-Con is positive news for UND. It leaves plenty of room for them to join the GWFC, and I don't see them getting rejected by the Mid-Con as the 11th member, once they get closer to completing their transition to DI. Perhaps that was discussed at the presidents meeting, but we'll won't know for sure because it wasn't an open meeting.

I would think the news about the Mid-Con is positive news for UND. It leaves plenty of room for them to join the GWFC, and I don't see them getting rejected by the Mid-Con as the 11th member, once they get closer to completing their transition to DI. Perhaps that was discussed at the presidents meeting, but we'll won't know for sure because it wasn't an open meeting.

What? No way the conference goes to 11 members. It will be tweleve or nothing. I could possibly see the conference taking UND and UVSC at some point, but I'm not sold on this certainty that many of you seem to think that there are two additional spots in the conference. 10 is the optimum number for a basketball conference, and the conference needs to hold onto its members a lot better in the future than it has in the next decade in order to keep its autobid, so turmoil will probably be kept to a minimum. Maybe someone could explain the advantage of 12 over ten to me, as I'm really curious what the reason for expanding to twelve would be? I don't see the mo valley looking for twelve, and they are very stable, and could get almost any mid major they wanted into their conference. This is an honest question, I'm not mocking anybody this time.

If 10 is the optimum number for a basketball conference then what the hell is wrong with the Big East?

And the Big Ten, ACC, and Big XII for that matter?

I think UND and USD will be in the Great West right away.

Not sure if the Mid Con will pick them both up. I know UVSC needs a home too and they provide a (better) travel partner for SUU.

Never know though.

Maybe they'll kick out Centenary. That would be fine with me.

If 10 is the optimum number for a basketball conference then what the hell is wrong with the Big East?

And the Big Ten, ACC, and Big XII for that matter?

I think UND and USD will be in the Great West right away.

Not sure if the Mid Con will pick them both up. I know UVSC needs a home too and they provide a (better) travel partner for SUU.

Never know though.

Maybe they'll kick out Centenary. That would be fine with me.

Wow now I have seen about everything. MplsBison you need to get a grip, hell NDSU isn't even officially accepted into the conference and now your picking and choosing who should be in a conference we havent even been officially accepted in? Why don't you check into reality for a while. You've been cheerleading the old NCC as a move up altogether conference and it was obvious that wasn't going to happen. Aff is right about one thing. 10 members is a hell of alot better for scheduling then 11 and I don't see the Mid-Con looking at expanding again right away. But for you to be so pompous to tell Centenary they should be kicked out is laughable.

Show me a link where I said the NCC should move to DI together?

You can't find it because it doesn't exist.

It's sad that you consider NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD = the NCC.

BS. They're merely the flagship schools from the old NCC.

10 is better than 11. When did I say that they were going to 11? I never have. That was another poster. But what the hell, might as well direct the whole thread of posts at me.

12 is better than 10 IMO. 12 is where I think the Mid Con is going.

As far as Centenary is concerned, they don't want to be in the Mid Con. They applied for the Southland and were denied. They'd rather be anywhere than the Mid Con.

That's fine with me.

Show me a link where I said the NCC should move to DI together?

You can't find it because it doesn't exist.

It's sad that you consider NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD = the NCC.

BS. They're merely the flagship schools from the old NCC.

10 is better than 11. When did I say that they were going to 11? I never have. That was another poster. But what the hell, might as well direct the whole thread of posts at me.

12 is better than 10 IMO. 12 is where I think the Mid Con is going.

As far as Centenary is concerned, they don't want to be in the Mid Con. They applied for the Southland and were denied. They'd rather be anywhere than the Mid Con.

That's fine with me.

Why is 12 better than 10, and if 12 is better than 10, then why isn't the missouri valley looking. The big 10, ACC etc. have more than 10 because of football. But if you look at their basketball schedules they are all messed up, with not every team playing each other twice. If you have 10 teams, you get 18 conference games, plus enough room for the right amount of ooc scheduling (See NCC not wanting teams five years ago). 11 teams is a non-issue. 12 teams gives you 22 games, which doesn't leave much for OOC scheduling, so you would have to start divisions and have a tournament. For the big east, this is an advantage, because of the huge tv ratings you can get. For the mid con, this is a disadvantage, becuase nobody will watch except for the championship game, and some schools will be playing eachother for the third time that season, in conference. Playing schools with a low RPI three times will destroy any chance of at large bids from the conference (Bear with me, I know we're not talking about a power house here). It also limits opportunities for improving the conference RPI by limiting the ooc scheduling. So what would the advantage of 12 be?

And no way do both UND and USD get in. IF an expansion happens again, UVSC will get a spot, since they will be eligible in 2010, and will assist with costs for the trip to Utah. UND, USD and other schools will all be competing for a spot with them. (This is of course conditional on the expansion not occuring because S. Utah left the conference. If that happens UVSC will never get a conference affiliation).

And no way do both UND and USD get in. IF an expansion happens again, UVSC will get a spot, since they will be eligible in 2010, and will assist with costs for the trip to Utah. UND, USD and other schools will all be competing for a spot with them. (This is of course conditional on the expansion not occuring because S. Utah left the conference. If that happens UVSC will never get a conference affiliation).
Aff:

Don't deceive yourself into believing the MidCon has any degree of stability to it.

Oakland wants in the Horizon, and received strong consideration when Valpo got in

IUPUI, when it gets its new on-campus arena, will be a strong candidate for the Horizon and would be a shoe-in if Butler leaves

Western Illinois, which is in the talking stages of a new arena, want in the Mo Valley with its Gateway brethren

UMKC wants in the Mo Valley

ORU wants in the Mo Valley - article just this week on that

Centenary wants in the Southland - if Texas St goes DIA, they would be a candidate

SUU wants in the Big Sky

Everybody wants out and only the desperate want in. Not exactly a recipe for stability (or for keeping an autobid).

Aff:

Don't deceive yourself into believing the MidCon has any degree of stability to it.

Oakland wants in the Horizon, and received strong consideration when Valpo got in

IUPUI, when it gets its new on-campus arena, will be a strong candidate for the Horizon and would be a shoe-in if Butler leaves

Western Illinois, which is in the talking stages of a new arena, want in the Mo Valley with its Gateway brethren

UMKC wants in the Mo Valley

ORU wants in the Mo Valley - article just this week on that

Centenary wants in the Southland - if Texas St goes DIA, they would be a candidate

SUU wants in the Big Sky

Everybody wants out and only the desperate want in. Not exactly a recipe for stability (or for keeping an autobid).

Try and downplay it all you want but this is a monumental day for NDSU and SDSU and no matter who you are, you've got to give it up to the athletic administration at both universities. I think it is pretty hard to say the Mid-Con is "unstable" with a guy like Douple running things and showing a dedication to making it a great home for all of its members. And I have a feeling UND will be a part of this "instability" in the near future. Good luck Sioux.