SiouxSports.com Forum

MidCon Conference Decision on Tuesday

star2city

Conference Issues  

41 members have voted

1. 1. MidCon Choices for Membership on Tuesday?

• IPFW only
    • IPFW & Texas Pan Am
    • IPFW, SDSU, NDSU
    • IPFW, Texas-Pan Am, & SDSU
    • IPFW, UTPA, SDSU, NDSU, UVSC
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. What will be UND's first all-sports DI Conference?

• MidContinent before 2011
    • MidContinent after 2011
    • Big Sky in 2008-9
    • Big Sky after 2008
    • Reconfigured DI NCC

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "Other" to the first question so I guess I'm obliged to explain. :sad:

The question was, "MidCon Choices for Membership on Tuesday?" I picked "other" because of the word "choices" in the question. I believe the Mid-Con will only go so far as to declare various "campus visits" and then set a selection date sometime within the next four months.

I voted "Other" to the first question so I guess I'm obliged to explain. :sad:

The question was, "MidCon Choices for Membership on Tuesday?" I picked "other" because of the word "choices" in the question. I believe the Mid-Con will only go so far as to declare various "campus visits" and then set a selection date sometime within the next four months.

By choices, the eventual outcome for this round of expansioin is what is intended. The answer may not be readily apparent on Wednedsay.

The issue of 'core' DI NCAA membership and continuity of membership criteria get awfully confusing. The Forum writer Kevin Schnepf is in error with this statement:

Because Centenary College in Shreveport, La., which joined the league in 2003, is not yet considered a core member, the Mid-Con technically will have six core members, not seven. Centenary becomes a core institution in 2008

I think that IPFW is a lock. Douple's recent comments and commitment to the Great West lead me to believe that he is pushing hard for NDSU and SDSU, but he doesn't get to vote. He needs to convince the presidents. I still voted that all three get in. I wouldn't be suprised to see NDSU try to put in an escape clause in the event that something else transpires in the next year.

I voted IPFW and UTPA because those are the only 2 that I think are for sure.

UVSC, NDSU, and SDSU potentially could get in also.

UND and USD will probably be talked about but won't be considered at this time.

I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU, SDSU, UND, and USD in the Big Sky with UM and MSU.

That would probably require Sac State to leave for DI-A, though.

My guess is that the mid con will take IPFW, UTPA, UVSC, SDSU, and NDSU, to put it at twelve. It would have the benefit of saving the almighty dollar for travel in the conference, which I think has become a huge concern with the current geography. I think that the hope is the money that is saved will be reinvested back into the basketball. From what I've read in the papers, Douple really seems like he wants to raise the competitiveness of the conference, much like the NSIC did when they went to D-II, although I think UND or USD would be a stronger canidate for improvement than IPFW is. If the expansion does go to tweleve, UND may be in some trouble conference wise. I can see them getting added after a possible big east breakup, but since there are already contracts going through 2014 or 2015 for that, UND would have quite awhile as an independent.

I voted that IPFW only gets added this week. The Mid-Con is getting desperate, but is not totally there yet. When you've got seven schools (including UND, and potentially USD) all wanting in, there is no need to get real excited. IPFW satisfies DI core member requirements (I think....I'm getting confused by all this math :sad: ), and does really nothing to shake up geography. After Valpo leaves after the 2006-07 season, that is when NDSU & SDSU will receive serious consideration before the start of the 2007-08 year.

If there is one thing that I've noticed in following NDSU & SDSU's transition, it is that these conferences move at their own pace, which seems to be a very slow pace. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

I voted that IPFW only gets added this week. The Mid-Con is getting desperate, but is not totally there yet. When you've got seven schools (including UND, and potentially USD) all wanting in, there is no need to get real excited. IPFW satisfies DI core member requirements (I think....I'm getting confused by all this math :sad: ), and does really nothing to shake up geography. After Valpo leaves after the 2006-07 season, that is when NDSU & SDSU will receive serious consideration before the start of the 2007-08 year.

If there is one thing that I've noticed in following NDSU & SDSU's transition, it is that these conferences move at their own pace, which seems to be a very slow pace. Baby steps, people, baby steps.

Most everyone up there is hoping that is all that happens because if NDSU and SDSU along with a few others get in and bring the conference up to twelve UND is left sitting out with nowhere to go for a while. The BSC isn't coming east for one school and certainly isn't going to support a transitional school through the entire reclassification period. I like our position and chances. On the other hand I'm not so sure that I would be real comfortable sitting where you are right now, UND fans can say what they want about the Mid-Con, you'd be watering at the mouth to get in given the alternative or being an independant indefinetly. For those who will bash the Mid-Con or argue they wouldn't want to be in it that's fine, I remember not to long ago how you said we were so stupid to make the move to DI, looks like your again trying to ride NDSU's coat tails.

If we think long term, the best conference destination for both NDSU and UND (SDSU too) would be what ever conference Montana and Montana State are in. Perhaps the MidCon is an iterim step in getting there.

Long term or short term is doesn't matter one dam bit what conference they are in as long as the west coast bias still has the influence they do it won't matter. As far as the whioux, well who cares???

Long term or short term is doesn't matter one dam bit what conference they are in as long as the west coast bias still has the influence they do it won't matter. As far as the whioux, well who cares???

I agree with Wyo.

DI in Fargo. If you don't care, why are you here. This is Siouxsports.com.

Most everyone up there is hoping that is all that happens because if NDSU and SDSU along with a few others get in and bring the conference up to twelve UND is left sitting out with nowhere to go for a while. ...

For those who will bash the Mid-Con or argue they wouldn't want to be in it that's fine, I remember not to long ago how you said we were so stupid to make the move to DI, looks like your again trying to ride NDSU's coat tails.

You are arguing in circles. If UND can't get in the MidCon or Big Sky because of no openings, then, by definition, UND would not be riding NDSU's coattails. So we are riding your coattails to conference no-mans-land?

All fans need to thnk deeply (NDSU fans, at least attempt to :sad: ) about this:

Why would Kupchella, as conservative as he is toward DI athletics, give the go ahead for a DI move if conference affiliation was unlikely? Kupchella, IMO, would never authorize a DI move if it meant a hopeless quest for conference affiliation. By Bison "logic", a hopeless conference quest is what UND faces.

There will always be stupid people who hope for nothing but the worst for UND (see prior postings), and the same for NDSU. If anything, the competition between the two schools, and the fact that they belonged to the same athletic conference for so long, has brought out the best (and the worst) from both universities. Both will benefit by resuming the competition in the future, hopefully by joining the same conferences.

Kupchella, IMO, would never authorize a DI move if it meant a hopeless quest for conference affiliation. By Bison "logic", a hopeless conference quest is what UND faces.

The Bison logic isn't too shotty, with the exception that NDSU might be right there with UND and SDSU.

Don't give Kupchella too much credit, I read a letter about 19 months ago that said UND might make the move for emotional reasons only. It could be that he did just that.

I don't believe for a second that UND nor NDSU or SDSU has a conference invite waiting, that's nothing but a conspiracy theory in my book.

You are arguing in circles. If UND can't get in the MidCon or Big Sky because of no openings, then, by definition, UND would not be riding NDSU's coattails. So we are riding your coattails to conference no-mans-land?

All fans need to thnk deeply (NDSU fans, at least attempt to :sad: ) about this:

Why would Kupchella, as conservative as he is toward DI athletics, give the go ahead for a DI move if conference affiliation was unlikely? Kupchella, IMO, would never authorize a DI move if it meant a hopeless quest for conference affiliation. By Bison "logic", a hopeless conference quest is what UND faces.

I think your kidding yourself if you think that Kupchella has a invite lined up. The quest for a conference isn't hopeless, if NDSU and SDSU get into a conference, UND's logic would be that since they are so close to both that's it's a given for them to join the same one. It will be interesting 2 years from now if NDSU is in the Mid Con and UND doesn't have any good propects for a conference if Kupchella will put the trigger? Or is UND committed? Pretty hard to go back to your athletes and tell them dii is forever.

I don't believe for a second that UND nor NDSU or SDSU has a conference invite waiting, that's nothing but a conspiracy theory in my book.
I didn't believe NDSU had a secret conference affiliation lined up when Bison fans were preaching it, and I don't believe UND does now. It's pretty obvious what's happening -- UND officials are asking potential conferences if they'd be interested in UND and are getting positive responses (just as NDSU did). That's encouraging UND officials to speak optimistically about the likelihood of finding a conference (just as NDSU's did). From what I'm hearing, though, UND officials learned something watching NDSU and are being a little more cautious and most fans are being a little more temperate in our expectations.

I do agree with star2city, though, that Kupchella wouldn't allow the move if he didn't sincerely believe a conference could be found in the medium term (near the end of the transition?) That doesn't guarantee he's right, and it's a far cry from a secret deal all lined up.

If by the end of the transition you mean 2014, then yeah, I'd agree that UND will probably be in a conference by then.

To argue that UND will have (or expects strongly) a conference home soon, because they'll be in deep doo-doo if they don't isn't a very strong argument.

Also where has UND had a positive reception from a conference? Other than Doug Fullerton, who should either be on a used-car lot or inside the beltway, I haven't heard anything other than hearsay.

My crystal ball :sad: shows that IPFW, SDSU, NDSU, UVSU get selected for "visits". UT-PA gets selected for an "assessment" visit.

IPFW is selected. In footprint of conference, Core eligible right away. No question in, slam dunk.

NDSU & SDSU - these twins will become the foundation schools on which the next 20 years of the Mid-con will be built. They are strong, land-grant U's, their athletics have been and will continue to be top-tier programs. Only Oral Roberts and Western IL APPROACH the commitment to quality student athletes that these schools bring to the conference.

UVSU - In a quick decisive inclusionary move, Mid-Con shows that we're going to keep SUU in the fold. Select this rapidly evolving school, and anchors in a western element to this conference.

UT-PA - They get a hard look. That auto-bid protection element gets weighed against the distance and competetive abilities that they bring to the table. IMHO, this is a toss-up choice.

UND will benefit IMMENSELY by having NDSU/SDSU on the inside looking at future expansion. This conference has been very transcient in the past. I envision that in 10-15 years, that IPFW or WIU will be the eastern edge, Okla City & Oral Roberts the south, and much of the NCC move-ups will be members, including Northern Colorado. Further, I predict that the power WESTERN I-AA football league will be the GREAT WEST, having overtaken the Big Sky. The GWFC vs. Big Sky is already plus to the GWFC, and that trend will increase as GWFC members reach full schollies. I envision that UND would continue that trend as a GWFC member.

Highlights from the Argus Leader story on today's Presidents meeting:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../606270322/1002

Mid-Con presidents meet today

Expansion talks once again on agenda

Chris Solari

csolari@argusleader.com

June 27, 2006

As the remaining presidents of the Mid-Continent Conference meet today at a hotel in Chicago to decide the league's fate, South Dakota State's future could be on their agenda.

SDSU and North Dakota State are among a group of schools that the Mid-Continent is considering for potential expansion.

Mid-Con Commissioner Tom Douple, who spent last week at the Collegiate Commissioners Association meetings, said on June 16 that information about SDSU and NDSU had been given to the league's presidents.

"It's on the agenda to discuss expansion," Douple said. "We're still gathering up information and doing our evaluation. ... And it's a time, too, when some folks have gotten to (the information) and some have not. There's just a lot of things to try and get in their hands before the meeting." . . . (read more)

Go State! :sad:

From the Tulsa World:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/SportsStory.asp?..._B1_Addin3380_0

Conference questions

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

6/27/2006

Two schools are leaving the Mid-Continent,which leaves ORU and the rest of the league pondering the future. NCAA Tournament berths are at stake as conference leaders look for replacements.

Adding members would strengthen position

Losing two schools in a 28-day span raised questions about the future of the Mid-Continent Conference.

Scattered over three time zones, is it coming apart at the seams? Is it time for Oral Roberts University to look for another conference?

"I don't see any reason for alarm," said ORU athletic director Mike Carter. "There are other schools that can be added. I think the Mid-Con is going to be stable." . . .

Without replacements, league membership would drop to seven by 2007, with only six core members -- the bare minimum to retain a conference's automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament.

Centenary, the league's seventh member, won't be considered for core purposes until completing its fifth year of Mid-Con participation in 2008.

Also at stake are the Mid-Con's automatic berths in baseball, men's tennis and men's and women's track and field. The league could have only five participating members in each sport by 2007 -- one less than required to retain an automatic bid in those sports.

NCAA access is the primary reason the Mid-Con and most other mid-major conferences were formed in the first place.

The baseball issue is of utmost importance to ORU, which has made nine straight NCAA appearances by winning the Mid-Con's postseason tournament.

League presidents are expected to start the process of expansion when they convene Tuesday in Chicago, chaired by ORU president Richard Roberts.

The presidents will examine information submitted by six schools seeking full membership -- Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Utah Valley State, Longwood (Va.) University and Texas-Pan American.

Dallas Baptist is a potential associate member in baseball -- the school's only Division I sport -- but will field a men's basketball team for the upcoming season. Central Arkansas, recently admitted to the Southland Conference, also seeks associate membership in some sports.

There is strong support within the league to add Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State and South Dakota State, although the latter two are provisional Division I members, not eligible for the Mid-Con postseason tournament until 2009.

There seems to be little enthusiasm for Texas-Pan American, situated so far south (Edinburg, Texas) that it is nearer to Mexico City than Tulsa.

No up and down votes are likely Tuesday, but site teams could be formed to evaluate the candidates. The presidents are expected to consider every possibility -- up to growing into two six-team divisions.

"Every option is on the table," said Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple. . . . (read more)

Go State! :sad:

Conference questions

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

6/27/2006

The presidents will examine information submitted by six schools seeking full membership -- Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Utah Valley State, Longwood (Va.) University and Texas-Pan American.

I realize that most Sioux fans are hoping for a Big Sky or Mid-Con invite, but if neither of those materialize in the next couple of years, there was a bit of a safety net in some of the sport-specific "conferences" that NDSU helped create. However, 5 of the 6 schools in the United Basketball Conference and 5 of the 8 schools in the United Soccer Conference are on that quoted list. The most likely selections (NDSU,SDSU,IPFW) are members of both. I hope that Mr. Buning has a chance to slip UND into those conferences before they implode. They may be glorified scheduling alliances, but there're better than nothing.

....also worth noting is that is has been reported that there will be no news from the MidCon meeting until Wed.

The Midcon has now announced site visits over the summer to NDSU, SDSU and IPFW. I would suspect that means barring anything strange happening the MidCon will take three and extend the invites at an upcoming meeting of the Presidents.

Mid Con Release

Mid-Con_Color-web.jpg