SiouxSports.com Forum

Congratulations Jonathan!

DamStrait

After winning a national title, Frozen Four MVP, WCHA Rookie of the Year and wanting out of the Gopher program so bad he'd take five dollars, Vanek returned for his sophomore season? Makes sense.

Of course, Smaby, Spirko, Zajac and Stafford didn't want out of the UND program.

Kessel's comments are eerily similar to Bochenski's right before he bolted. It was fun to watch all of you spin his "if I have to go back to North Dakota, I will".

Leave it to TC_Transplant to look for the silver lining for the Goofs and tell us how bad UND is. Typical.

I always wonder why some of you guys from Twin Cities (MPLS and surrounding towns) came up here if all you were going to be is miserable?

Spirko big deal we will make it without him, besides UND doesn't need someone that doesn't want to be here bringing moral down and mopeing around. Good ridance. As for Zajac, Smaby and Stafford, they took the money and ran, no one can blame them, I sure as heck never will. Heck, If someone told me that I could have a job and make 350,000 to 900,000 in the form of a signing bonus and make at least 75,000.00 a year the next season I could have some of that bitg money right now, I would be gone, no looking back no second thoughts. I wouldn't even bother to write a two week notice. There would be a vapor trail in my wake.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goon, I find your comments about Spirko a little disturbing, as I think he was a major contributor for two seasons. You will notice his absence this year, especially with all the other departures. Not to mention players that may leave, ie., Toews. Spirko's departure looks huge to me. We may never know the whole story as to why he left, but he has left a void in the lineup, of that we can be sure.

Goon, I find your comments about Spirko a little disturbing, as I think he was a major contributor for two seasons. You will notice his absence this year, especially with all the other departures. Not to mention players that may leave, ie., Toews. Spirko's departure looks huge to me. We may never know the whole story as to why he left, but he has left a void in the lineup, of that we can be sure.

I agree, and I say that based on watching the playoff games from the season just ended. Spirko was huge in those games, scoring big goals, setting up goals, playing on special teams, blocking shots and making smart defensive plays. Even if nobody else leaves, the Sioux will be short on experienced forwards next season. Having Sparky back would have helped a great deal.

Very disrespectful remark about Sparky. I hadn't heard that he moped around. As far as not wanting to be here, there is a huge difference between that and missing your family and homeland. We will see a difference this year with him being gone. He made many great plays and goals. I, for one, will miss him. :sad:

I agree, and I say that based on watching the playoff games from the season just ended. Spirko was huge in those games, scoring big goals, setting up goals, playing on special teams, blocking shots and making smart defensive plays. Even if nobody else leaves, the Sioux will be short on experienced forwards next season. Having Sparky back would have helped a great deal.

Word around town is that Sparky didn't like it here. I am just saying if he doesn't want to be here so be it.

As far as UND not having any experience as been the par for the course.

Word around town is that Sparky didn't like it here. I am just saying if he doesn't want to be here so be it.

As far as UND not having any experience as been the par for the course.

Any way you slice it losing a player like Spirko hurts. You don't even have a clue why he left, but the fact is he left. It's none of our business why. The bottom line is losing a player like him hurts the team. I have a hard time believing that any of the incoming freshmen will have an easy time filling his role. (That is said with all due respect for the talent coming in this year.) To say that not having experience is par for the course is a totally lame argument if you ask me. It damn sure is no justification for a player leaving.

Any way you slice it losing a player like Spirko hurts. You don't even have a clue why he left, but the fact is he left. It's none of our business why. The bottom line is losing a player like him hurts the team. I have a hard time believing that any of the incoming freshmen will have an easy time filling his role. (That is said with all due respect for the talent coming in this year.)

I am just saying UND will be fine. I do have a clue because a buddy of mine studies with a player and this is what he told him.

I am just saying UND will be fine. I do have a clue because a buddy of mine studies with a player and this is what he told him.

Well, then maybe you would like to eloborate on what "he is not happy here" is all about. For the sake of the rest of us, that is. By the way I think we will be fine as well. I just think trivializing the premature loss of a player is silly.

"he is not happy here" is all about. For the sake of the rest of us, that is. By the way I think we will be fine as well. I just think trivializing the premature loss of a player is silly.

Not being happy here is home sick, not happy, miss my girl friend, not happy. I am not sure how I can spell it out any more. Slovakia I am sure is a lot different that North Dakota. I know The East coast is different that living on the plains in North Dakota. I spent 26 months in Germany and then moved to Massachussetts (sp) its different.

I have played sports if someone leaves a team you don't fold your tent and quit, nor will the UND players. Spirko loss while does cause a void doesn't mean someone can't step up or that two players step up. I think the biggest loss on the team is Zajac for his play at both ends and Smaby because of the intimidation factor that he had when he was on the ice, they were both role players that may be hard to fill.

Of the 3 top collegiate players taken in the draft (EJ, JT, and PK), I think that Toews is the most likely to stick around, but I am not holding my breath. It would be a huge blow to the team if he left early as well.

That I believe is the most sensible statement I have read all week.

Oh the irony here. Toews' departure would be a HUGE blow to this team, while Spirko's is dismissed as next to nothing at all. Sorry, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just feel you don't replace two years of WCHA experience in the blink of an eye. We've all expected Toews to be a "short timer", so his early departure (whenever it may be), will come as no suprise. Spirko was a player many thought would be here long term, his experience and value to this team are priceless IMO, and not easily replaced.

Oh the irony here. Toews' departure would be a HUGE blow to this team, while Spirko's is dismissed as next to nothing at all. Sorry, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just feel you don't replace two years of WCHA experience in the blink of an eye. We've all expected Toews to be a "short timer", so his early departure (whenever it may be), will come as no suprise. Spirko was a player many thought would be here long term, his experience and value to this team are priceless IMO, and not easily replaced.

Such valuable insight and a well-thought out comment there TRIOUXPER. Who hacked into your account? :sad: Just teasin'. I totally agree with you. Spirko is, was, and always will be welcome as a Fighting Sioux and he has nothing to apologize for for leaving to go back to his home country.

Goon you spent time in Germany,military I'am assuming. When you were there you had plenty of friends from your own country and spoke English. Spirko came here by himself with no friends or family to help out. I would imagine school work took longer then his teammates did and he had no one to help him with that,coupled with the fact his parents aren't the best off, all kind of factors some we probably don't even know about. I for one will miss his hard work and never give up attitude he brought every night and THE TRIOUXPER is right you don't just replace a player like him very easy.

Goon you spent time in Germany,military I'am assuming. When you were there you had plenty of friends from your own country and spoke English. Spirko came here by himself with no friends or family to help out. I would imagine school work took longer then his teammates did and he had no one to help him with that,coupled with the fact his parents aren't the best off, all kind of factors some we probably don't even know about. I for one will miss his hard work and never give up attitude he brought every night and THE TRIOUXPER is right you don't just replace a player like him very easy.

i agree with your post except for the school work help. The University offers tutorial help, many times for free, to those who ask for it. Historically, athletes classroom work has been monitored closely by their coaches, in order not to lose anyone due to grades. When someone is struggling, they are helped.

I have to say that I rarely saw Sparky smile. At the meet and greets, while all the other guys are joking, teasing and laughing, he's always seemed somber. It's tough for a young kid, don't care what you say, they're still kids, being without close friends, family. I don't blame him one bit. Miss him but don't begruge his choice.

Of the 3 top collegiate players taken in the draft (EJ, JT, and PK), I think that Toews is the most likely to stick around, but I am not holding my breath. It would be a huge blow to the team if he left early as well.

Are you basing that on Toews comments about returning to UND or is there more to it? It seems to me like they are all very likely to turn pro. After looking at the Bruins roster I don't see how Kessel wouldn't find his way onto the 1st or 2nd line. Same with the Hawks and Toews. EJ would likely get a top four defensemen spot opening night. All three no doubt have significant development to do, but there is no reason they can't do it at the NHL level.

I posted it on USCHO as well but the only way I can see any of them returning is if their NHL team doesn't want to start the clock on the time they have exclusive rights to the player.

I think the other 1st and 2nd round picks on the Sioux and Gophers are more interesting cases.

Are you basing that on Toews comments about returning to UND or is there more to it? It seems to me like they are all very likely to turn pro. After looking at the Bruins roster I don't see how Kessel wouldn't find his way onto the 1st or 2nd line. Same with the Hawks and Toews. EJ would likely get a top four defensemen spot opening night. All three no doubt have significant development to do, but there is no reason they can't do it at the NHL level.

I posted it on USCHO as well but the only way I can see any of them returning is if their NHL team doesn't want to start the clock on the time they have exclusive rights to the player.

I think the other 1st and 2nd round picks on the Sioux and Gophers are more interesting cases.

I'm basing it on articles that I have read with comments from both the players and the teams involved. Some are linked on the front page of USCHO.

I agree that there is a strong chance that all 3 will not be in the NCAA ranks this season.

From what I have read/heard, Kessel is the least likely to be back. It seems to me that if he gets an offer from Boston that he will bolt. EJ and JT are both tougher to read, as both of them are so young. The comments from those two seem to indicate that they will do what their teams want, but Toews' comments seem to imply that he feels that he needs more work before moving on.

We'll see I guess. Maybe I am way off-base here, and PK and EJ will stay at UMN, and Toews will leave. :sad:

We'll see I guess. Maybe I am way off-base here, and PK and EJ will stay at UMN, and Toews will leave. :sad:

If those two are the only remaining players that leave early for the Gophers I guess I'll take it. I can't believe that Wheeler and Goligoski aren't pushing for contract offers.

I can't believe that Wheeler and Goligoski aren't pushing for contract offers.

Gretzky is on record as really being high on Blake Wheeler and I can see why. Big, strong, and a good skater. So who knows.

I was listening to the NHL channel on XM radio yesterday, and I didn't catch the guy's name, but he was a guest on Hockey This Morning and some sort of NHL expert. He was also a Blackhawks fan. His comments were that as a Blackhawks fan, he hopes that the team will send Toews back to North Dakota for another season rather than bring him into a bad situation (losing/rebuilding season). Let's hope so.