SiouxSports.com Forum

Congratulations Jonathan!

DamStrait

Hate is a strong word. I don't hate PK, just don't like him. Leaving talent aside for the moment, let's look at on ice, locker room and off ice behavior. Both Jonathan and T.J., are head and shoulders above PK. They've proven themselves to be great team players and represent themselves and the team very well in the public eye.

If PK were on another team, pulling the same antics there that he has with the Gophers, like/dislike/respect/lack of respect would be the same from the same folks who post here and those who have commented about him at the combine.

Personally, I'd like to see PK come back for one more year for the sole purpose of watching him play at Wisconsin one more time. If he thinks those fans were nasty to him LAST YEAR...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dislike for PK...holding a press conference to announce that you are going to MN. Tacky.

I'm pretty sure Phil wasn't the one who organized that one.

Bottom line: JT & PK have one thing in common: they're both going to arguably the two worst run & cheapest owners in the NHL!

Bottom line: JT & PK have one thing in common: they're both going to arguably the two worst run & cheapest owners in the NHL!

This is the number one reason I'd be signing tomorrow with them, to start my clock to free agency. If either of them get a sniff of NHL playoff hockey with the teams that drafted them I will be VERY impressed.

I really want him and EJ to play both for the Gophers and for the US in the WJC next year as well. Hate Kessel all you want but while many UND fans were complaining about Hackstol and worrying about making the NCAAs, Kessel and the Gophers went on a run that erased a seemingly insurmountable WCHA points lead and won the McNaughton. At the end of the year UND was great, UW restored order and Holy Cross rocked, but it was still a nice run from this Gopher fan's perspective.

Congrats to Toews and I think the two teams who passed on him may end up regretting it.

In this column, TSN's Pierre McGuire makes the same comment about Kessel that he did during the NHL draft:

Phil Kessel is coming into the league as an angry young man. And when you have an angry young man that comes into the NHL, that usually sets him up to conditioning his mind and body. It sets him up to be receptive to coaching and helping his teammates.

The one question mark I have on Kessel is can he make the people around him better? He doesn't have great vision and he's not a great passer.

Discount all the assists you saw from this year's World Junior Hockey Championship and the bottom line was that most of those were against Norway, a team that's not very good.

Kessel's got to be a pure scorer. He has the speed of Pat LaFontaine and the finishing ability of Brett Hull. If he brings that to the Bruins, they've got a great pick at five.

I have to believe that between Team USA's poor showing at the World Juniors and Minnesota's poor showing in post-season play, it raised some questions about Kessel as a team player. As McGuire says, all that could very well work to his advantage in developing as a pro.

Hate is a strong word. I don't hate PK, just don't like him. Leaving talent aside for the moment, let's look at on ice, locker room and off ice behavior. Both Jonathan and T.J., are head and shoulders above PK.

Head and shoulders? I see I haven't missed anything around here lately....

I know this is a Sioux board, but it would be nice if there was a least a hint of objectivity.

There's no chance of that happening. Any board where 90% of the Sioux posters are consistently ripping a great player like Kessel proves that they have no idea what the word objective even means. Players that are as bad as Sioux fans make Kessel out to be don't get drafted fifth in the NHL.

That's right. UND homerism continues to reign supreme on SiouxSports.com. I'm not sure why you're always surprised by that.

There's no chance of that happening. Any board where 90% of the Sioux posters are consistently ripping a great player like Kessel proves that they have no idea what the word objective even means. Players that are as bad as Sioux fans make Kessel out to be don't get drafted fifth in the NHL.

I don't look at you as being close to objective either, and you are on an opposing board. Sagard and Greyeagle are gopher fans that demonstrate respect and objectivity, which makes it nice to have their perspective.

Pay attention here slappy, summer school is now in session. Simple math here........one phil kessel is NOT equal to one TJ OSHIE. Not on the ice, not off the ice, not in the locker room , not away from any rink, not in life, at all, ever. Objectivity or not it's just a plain and simple fact. This thread is about Toews, and as far as I'm concerned, the hockey powers that be in the NHL have ended all debate on this subject.

Per the article in this link with the fifth pick of the 2006 draft, the Goofs in fact beat Holy Cross 14-0 for drafted players

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/517189.html

You could reverse the score if you would prefer discussing character and moral fiber

14 NHL draft picks beat by zero draft picks>>>how sweet it is...... :sad:

Correct...sometimes they go #1 (Brian Lawton). The draft isn't an exact science.

Hate is a strong word. I don't hate PK, just don't like him. Leaving talent aside for the moment, let's look at on ice, locker room and off ice behavior. Both Jonathan and T.J., are head and shoulders above PK. They've proven themselves to be great team players and represent themselves and the team very well in the public eye.

If PK were on another team, pulling the same antics there that he has with the Gophers, like/dislike/respect/lack of respect would be the same from the same folks who post here and those who have commented about him at the combine.

What did Kessel do on the ice, in the locker room and off the ice that makes you not like him?

Pay attention here slappy, summer school is now in session. Simple math here........one phil kessel is NOT equal to one TJ OSHIE. Not on the ice, not off the ice, not in the locker room , not away from any rink, not in life, at all, ever. Objectivity or not it's just a plain and simple fact. This thread is about Toews, and as far as I'm concerned, the hockey powers that be in the NHL have ended all debate on this subject.

Why, because he was taken two spots ahead of Kessel so that automatically makes him better? So by that logic, there's no way you can argue Oshie is as good as Kessel(or Wheeler for that matter) because he was taken about 20 spots higher in the draft right? Nice logic. :lol: Can we wait until they play at least one game in the NHL before we conclude who will be the better player?

Not to buck the trend here (actually I fight the trend every day professionally), but I feel a little bad for PK. If you start with a basic assumption that he's a good kid -- a good place to start with anyone -- then he's had a bit of a rough ride. I wouldn't mind one bit if he really turns it up a notch, as long as it starts in a Bruins jersey. The only thing he's done that got to me was the ear-cup against Wisconsin (very un-hockey like), but he pretty much paid for that one with the trophy skate in Milwaukee anyway.

On topic, congrats to all the new Sioux draftees.

Oh my lord, is this the new Phil Kessel blog?? Last I checked this was a Sioux Sports forum. You guys are pathetic and boring.........see you in September.

My apologies, ATLSiouxPhan, I didn't know someone was holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this thread.

Why, because he was taken two spots ahead of Kessel so that automatically makes him better? So by that logic, there's no way you can argue Oshie is as good as Kessel(or Wheeler for that matter) because he was taken about 20 spots higher in the draft right? Nice logic. :lol: Can we wait until they play at least one game in the NHL before we conclude who will be the better player?

No, not because he was taken two spots ahead, but rather the reasons those teams passed on super phil, surely you've seen the links and read the articles by now haven't you, bucky ?

My apologies, ATLSiouxPhan, I didn't know someone was holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this thread.

MafiaWoman: This thread is titled Congratulations Jonathan, not Why I am Jealous of Phil Kessel and Secretly Wish I Could Hold His Hand.......I came here to read about JT.

Oh my lord, is this the new Phil Kessel blog?? Last I checked this was a Sioux Sports forum. You guys are pathetic and boring.........see you in September.

I don't want to be the one to burst your bubble, but I don't think many people will miss you here. You can put my name on the top of that list.