SiouxSports.com Forum

Good Luck

D2Football

I would like to say good luck to UND in their venture to 1-AA. I will miss you guys in D2. I'm happy that you will get to play NDSU again. Both are great football schools and both will be among the tops in 1-AA very soon.

Brandon

What is 1-AA ???

What is 1-AA ???

That is the glorified D2 football that UND and NDSU have chosen to participate in. Overall better than D2 and with much more promise to stay better than what the future seems to hold for D2 football. Only exists for football. Other sports will be D1 (the real D1).

That is the glorified D2 football that UND and NDSU have chosen to participate in. Overall better than D2 and with much more promise to stay better than what the future seems to hold for D2 football. Only exists for football. Other sports will be D1 (the real D1).

NDSU is and UND will be I-AA not 1-AA, first lesson in DI syntax :lol:

NDSU is and UND will be I-AA not 1-AA, first lesson in DI syntax :lol:

I'm going to be the first to say it at risk of getting torn apart, but NDSU and UND will be known as I-AA for only so long before being known as I-A. Believe me, it will happen.

I'm going to be the first to say it at risk of getting torn apart, but NDSU and UND will be known as I-AA for only so long before being known as I-A. Believe me, it will happen.

I wouldn't bet against I-A in the next 20 years. ???

If you're writing out the full word "Division" it should be followed with I-AA as you suggested. However, if you're using just the letter D as an abbreviation it should be followed with -1AA. Same goes for D-2 and D-1A. That's why we have websites called D2football.com and D1Afootball.com.

You need to spend some time with my buddy Ralph from I-AA.org. :lol:???

Yup.....Ralph will call you on it EVERY time.....I would put money on it!
Well, Ralph can set whatever rules he wants for his message board, including demanding adherence to the NCAA's deliberate use of Roman Numerals. However, I declare SiouxSports.com to be a Hindu-Arabic numeral friendly site. We hereby officially recognize I to be exactly the same number as 1. Write Division 1, or Division I, no matter to us. :lol:

Eh, while I'm not happy about the upcoming move for you guys, I do see the writting on the wall. It was pretty much going to happen, it was just a question of when. Good luck with you guys, and may we blessed to meet each other in the Reginal finals for the next 2 seasons. And, Perhaps with your move, UND could finally get around to schedualing a regular season home and home deal with GVSU perhaps. We did the same with Cal-Davis. :sad:

I will tell Ralph he's wrong.
Tell me I'm wrong about what? That "D2" and "D1" is incorrect nomenclature? Then you would be wrong. The first sign of respect is to spell the name correctly. If you don't have that then everything else you write is suspect. Period.

Tell me I'm wrong about what? That "D2" and "D1" is incorrect nomenclature? Then you would be wrong. The first sign of respect is to spell the name correctly. If you don't have that then everything else you write is suspect. Period.

Ah ha....Ralph is here! A definite early sign of the DI-AA community....... ;)

(see Ralph, you got us Bison fans trained..... :sad: )

Ah ha....Ralph is here! A definite early sign of the DI-AA community....... ;)

(see Ralph, you got us Bison fans trained..... :sad: )

Well you can't argue nomenclature, the NCAA decreed it over 30 years ago.
Why it is called I-AA

On August 1, 1973 the NCAA's membership was divided into three legislative and competitive divisions at the first special Convention ever held. All major schools were reclassified as Division I and other schools were divided into Divisions II and III. Roman numerals were chosen to be used rather than the Arabic 1, 2, 3. Five years later, Division I members voted to create subclassifications I-A, I-AA, and I-AAA for the sport of football. The major difference (at this point) besides sponsorship is the amount of scholarships allotted. I-A gets 85, I-AA gets 63, and I-AAA is for institutions that do not sponsor football. Only NCAA Division I is divided into subclassifications and ONLY in the sport of football.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=44189

I certainly agree, in principle, that the intentional misspelling of names in a disrespectful way is usually a sign of a specious argument. However, team releases (cited above), major fan sites (e.g. d3football.com, d2football.com, and d1afootball.com), and occasional mainstream media articles use Arabic numerals, so those markings clearly aren't to signify disrespect such as when a Bison fan writes "UND Sue".

Ralph is correct that the official NCAA nomenclature is certainly Roman numerals, but I personally don't see that D2 as colloquial shorthand is offensive or even disrespectful; rather, I think it's like writing NoDak instead of North Dakota. I personally tend to write "D-II", but I also think attacking someone for writing 1-AA (as happened in this thread) is in the same family as jumping on message board spelling mistakes.

You're wrong. To abbreviate Division II as DII would be ridiculous. To abbreviate Division I or Division I-AA as DI or DIAA would be equally ridiculous. D1, D-1A, D-1AA, and D2 are all proper abbreviations, as used in each of the following links: ...
Your links to fan sites and community colleges etc. are amusing because they are incorrect. Never use arabic in conjunction with NCAA divisions. D-I, D-II, D-III, I-A, I-AA, D-II, D-III is correct. If you need further clarification then simply write or call the NCAA and ask.

You're wrong. To abbreviate Division II as DII would be ridiculous. To abbreviate Division I or Division I-AA as DI or DIAA would be equally ridiculous. D1, D-1A, D-1AA, and D2 are all proper abbreviations, as used in each of the following links:

http://www.niacc.cc.ia.us/athletics/football/fbalumni.html

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2001/10/26/4628

http://homepages.cae.wisc.edu/~dwilson/rsf.../henderson.html

http://www.tigermemories.com/tgrmem_plugin...t.php?content.2

Should we discuss the proper way to spell the UND nickname?

The proper spelling is of course what the official institution perfers. :sad:

As for your suggestion that I ask the NCAA, this is an institution that thinks UND is hostile and abusive. I don't exactly put much stock into what they think.

So the organization that created the division classifications gets no say in how they're abbreviated because it doesn't like UND's nickname? I suppose that makes sense -- somewhere.