SiouxSports.com Forum

Lennon & DI

SiouxMD

I think everyone is reading into Taylor's comments a little too much.

It appears that NDSU is waiting for UND to be a DI counter before playing them in any sport. One condition is that athletes meet marginally higher standards than those for DII.

Gene is thinking about NDSU's situation and he doesn't want to use the few non-DI games we have playing UND.

GPAs I don't know, but NDSU football's APR is 947, higher than the DIAA average of 929; men's basketball 981! (933); women's basketball 950 (960)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is reading into Taylor's comments a little too much.

It appears that NDSU is waiting for UND to be a DI counter before playing them in any sport. One condition is that athletes meet marginally higher standards than those for DII.

What's to read into? He said grades. If he meant DI counter, then he should have said it.

Now I'm going to read into it and it sounds like an excuse to get an 'eye for an eye.'

I love how bison fans are saying that NDSU can't play us because it could hurt their playoff chances. Hmmmm, sounds familiar. Funny that it is suddenly considered by bison fans to be a legitimate reason, but when UND used that very same logic to look out for our playoff chances it was rediculous.

I love how bison fans are saying that NDSU can't play us because it could hurt their playoff chances. Hmmmm, sounds familiar. Funny that it is suddenly considered by bison fans to be a legitimate reason, but when UND used that very same logic to look out for our playoff chances it was rediculous.

But UND did it in all sports not just fb. Explain that?

But UND did it in all sports not just fb. Explain that?

Ahhh...careful Bison Dan! Not all sports. The Sioux have been competing against NDSU at a few track meets every year since SU's transition to DI athletics. Now, I am fully aware that the track teams have no importance whatsoever to 95% of the sports fans of the two schools, but hey...we still count. Kind of.

Ahhh...careful Bison Dan! Not all sports. The Sioux have been competing against NDSU at a few track meets every year since SU's transition to DI athletics. Now, I am fully aware that the track teams have no importance whatsoever to 95% of the sports fans of the two schools, but hey...we still count. Kind of.

Don't forget about baseball. UND and NDSU played in 2004, and had an agreement to play in 2005. NDSU gave UND the middle finger at the last second and backed out of the game. This goes both ways.

UND has a track program?

OK...I just posted in another thread how I hate these jackasses posting stupid $hit in here, so my answer bac to you "Donkey" Dan........NDSU have a football or basketball team??

Your ad hominem attacks are a lot less classy than those from 'that school to the south' who at least post on the topic at hand (well, in some cases tangents....)

Your ad hominem attacks are a lot less classy than those from 'that school to the south' who at least post on the topic at hand (well, in some cases tangents....)
Mr. IowaBison,

I wasn't trying to be classy and you are the one who asked about a track program, so I questioned your programs.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Digging into Divsion I

"The I-AAs are coming in and getting who we want," Lennon said.
He said the Sioux likely will recruit in a wider number of states, although not heavily in the football-rich states of Florida and Texas.

"Our plans aren't to necessarily go all the way down south, just to expand the perimeters," Lennon said. "We'd like to start to get more into Nebraska and also into Montana.

"As far as the area, it is still very much in this region Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota but we do have to begin to branch out a little bit more than in the past," Taylor said. "We've certainly had to recruit very differently. Every sport has had to recruit a using a different process. The biggest change is that you need to get into kids a little bit sooner, their sophomore or junior year instead of their senior year."

I agree that it would be especially nice to break into the Montana recuiting scene. ND's record agains Montana in the "Badlands Bowl" shows that there is alot of talented players in that state. It will be tough, though, recruiting against U of Montana & Montana St. I'd assume that's the biggest reason we rarely have Montana players on our roster.

With NDSU's strong football tradition, and having played two games in the state of Montana in the last three years, I would have thought they would have hit Montana recruits hard, but to my knowledge they don't have any recruits from Montana.

Hopefully, in the future, we can get some games going with the Montana schools and redevelop a rivalry with them to the point that UND is a quality visible football school to players coming out of Montana high-schools.

Another area that I look forward to recruiting more is Iowa.

Oh, I guess it would be crazy to think that a school that has been offering a D-I sport for decades would have an idea of what the academic requirements of Division I are. :D

The UND football program a) doesn't recruit JUCO's or partial qualifiers b) is dealing with institutional entrance standards that preclude them from recruiting those types of "student" athletes in the first place and c) has consistently been the leader in the NCC (by an extremely wide margin in most cases) in academic all-conference players over the last several years. You would have to be an idiot to assume that during the transition UND would be playing with a bunch of guys that couldn't qualify to play D-I.

And also, if you agree with Gene Taylor's position, then you certainly must also be willing to discount all accomplishments by NDSU during the transition because the possibility obviously exists that some "D2 flunkies" on the roster made for an unlevel playing field when facing full-fledged D-I teams.

So which is it? :0

UND doesn't recruit juco's? Your football team has never had a juco on it? What about your other sports as well like BB and MR. Beasly who made it 2 years in basketweaving? What a joke, Beasely couldn't get into a DI and so UND welcomes him with open arms. You'd better be careful about posting garbage, one would think you people would have learned your lesson about all the trash talk with NDSU going DI and here you are again following in our dust and posting more trash talk that will certainly come back to bite you. :lol:

Wow you guys really like to dream big, I can see a quality DI kid who won't want to go the the Big red machine in Lincoln but will want to go to GF :D

Dude, do you have ANYTHING to contribute that's not smack? Really, what do you think that post added to the discourse?

UND is going to broaden its recruiting area as it moves to D-I -- Nebraska and Montana are both interesting recruiting areas. Far easier to attract a kid from Nebraska to college in North Dakota than a kid from Texas or Florida. Nebraska has a good football tradition, there are a lot more kids worthy of playing I-AA ball in Nebraska than end up at the Huskers.

Personally I liked what he said about getting into Montana and Nebraska a little more for recruits. There are a lot of good football players who slip through the cracks in those two states because they get missed by the local D-I schools.

At the DIAA level, UND is going to need more speed. If there are two states that are underrecruited for IAA football, Michigan (0 teams) and California (2 teams) would have to qualify. NDSU chose to move into Florida, Mississippi and Texas to satisfy their needs.

Hey D1 in Fargo- Help me out here. I'm trying to remember where a player on NDSU's team came from. I know he was the career rushing leader in his state, and his name is Mike Brower, but for the life of me, I can't remember where he came from. Oh well, hopefully you can remind me. It's amazing that a player of his level wouldn't end up at a big time D1 program. Now if I could only remember what state he came from.

Other NDSU fans- you had to know this one was coming. Please denounce this fool, before he spoils your good name. The guy is a complete idiot, and offers nothing to either siouxsports or bisonville. Take care of him in your own way. We'll let you keep this one "in house."

BTW- In case you couldn't figure it out, Brower is from Nebraska, so don't go wasting your time looking it up.

At the DIAA level, UND is going to need more speed. If there are two states that are underrecruited for IAA football, Michigan (0 teams) and California (2 teams) would have to qualify. NDSU chose to move into Florida, Mississippi and Texas to satisfy their needs.

Mississippi for some quality juco d-line transfers, although a couple of the guys we worked hard on this year were lost to DI-A schools. Florida and Texas for some speed.

Like NDSU, UND should take advantage of their facility-indoors/turf- and get some fast players.

The speed difference between DII and DIAA is significant and many of NDSU's young recruits are/will see a lot of playing time early in their careers because of their athleticism.

Star2city, I don't agree with your lack of DIAA teams in a geographic area argument. California is a place to recruit as there are a lot of high school footballers and hardly any college football teams. In Michigan, the MAC takes the place of DI-AA.

It takes a local connection to get these kids, ie the 'pipeline'. NDSU has one in Houston and UND will have to look further than the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana and Nebraska for theirs.

BTW- In case you couldn't figure it out, Brower is from Nebraska, so don't go wasting your time looking it up.

There are a lot of great athletes in the neighborhood. Think of the great players UND has had in the past decade, most of them are local kids.

There are a lot of great athletes in the neighborhood. Think of the great players UND has had in the past decade, most of them are local kids.

Have to look at why I wrote what I did. D1 in Fargo stated that quality D1 players would never come up to GF from a state such as Nebraska. I was just pointing to the fact that NDSU was able to pull a quality player out of Nebraska's backyard, which D1 in Fargo thinks is impossible. I too believe there are a lot of quality players locally. Just pointing out an error in his assessment, which happen pretty frequently.