SiouxSports.com Forum

UND declaring internal Division 1 move

D1sioux

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, waiting an additional year would invariably harm, or at a minimum, delay a chance to get into a conference. However, there may be an exception where a delay makes sense:

I still believe the Big Sky wants UND/NDSU in the conference. But since NDSU isn't NCAA eligible until 2008-9, it wouldn't be beneficial to the Sky until at least one of the two of us are eligible. Fullerton has implied in the past that the ND schools need to be "patient". Some have interpreted that to mean when Sac St and/or Portland St are gone. But my interpretation is "patient" means when NDSU is eligible. If the Sky were to add a UND/NDSU combo for the 2008-9 season, UND would have a totally seamless transition to DI. By having the exploratory year as 20007-8, the financials benefits to UND would be huge, as it wouldn't have to endure a quixotic independent schedule in any revenue sport for that school year. UND's season ticket bases could actually grow, instead of decline as the did for NDSU and SDSU basketball in their 2nd year of transition.

Expansion predictions:

MidCOn next week - the MidCon badly needs more core members to retain its autobid status. A loss of one more core school could be a fatal blow. IPFW and UTPA are the only 'core' member possiblities. NDSU, SDSU, and Utah Valley are other schools available. The MidCOn will add IPFW, UTPA, and possibly SDSU.

Big Sky next fall - Fullerton has gone on record as saying it is possible that up to three members of the BSC will be lost to the WAC over the next several years. For the Big Sky to maintain its autobid, it would need to add at least one more 'core' member. The only DI 'core' members that might have interest are Denver and Southern Utah. Getting one or the other school is absolutely critical to the future of the Big Sky. Since SUU has some major opposition, Denver is being courted big time and is likely being offered incentives. To make the move, Denver wants rivals, such as UND aboard, and its wants the Sky to drop the 'all sports' requirements. Both requests will be granted, and the Sky will add Denver, NDSU, and UND for the 2008-9 season.

Man, you'll never give up the dream will you? Just for the record, you really think that Denver is going to ask for UND to be in the Big Sky to get them in? Because that would really help the move from a basketball perspective right? I mean the guarunteed game against a non-eligible school with a likely horrible RPI? Thats what they want to be in, a guarunteed two games against UND, who has little chance to be even respectable in basketball until they are out of the transition. Thats really what you think Denver is going to beg for? Two games a season against UND in basketball, because of their hockey team? Thats so rediculous that its almost mind boggling.

UND isn't going to be an independent for several years. Get over it and accept it now. The big sky doesn't have a huge conspiracy theory to get UND when its most convenient for UND, so that UND doesn't have to go through a transition period. Nobody in the big sky cares if your revenue falls from moving D-I. Nobody in the big sky cares if your attendance falls because of the transition. Nobody in the big sky cares if fans don't have anything to look foward to during the season.

Heres your official welcome to D-I from the rest of D-I... they could care less what happens to UND, and absolutely nobody is going to look out for or care about UND except UND.

Big Sky next fall - Fullerton has gone on record as saying it is possible that up to three members of the BSC will be lost to the WAC over the next several years. For the Big Sky to maintain its autobid, it would need to add at least one more 'core' member. The only DI 'core' members that might have interest are Denver and Southern Utah. Getting one or the other school is absolutely critical to the future of the Big Sky. Since SUU has some major opposition, Denver is being courted big time and is likely being offered incentives. To make the move, Denver wants rivals, such as UND aboard, and its wants the Sky to drop the 'all sports' requirements. Both requests will be granted, and the Sky will add Denver, NDSU, and UND for the 2008-9 season.

I have been thinking about that scenario for a long time, a very long time. The Big Sky has been wanting Denver for a while now but Denver has always said no but if you bring a long time hockey rival into the fold it may make it easier to say yes. It's safe to say the Montana schools want NDSU, so NDSU, UND, and Denver make a lot of sense. The Big Sky needs to appease the Montana schools or it could lose them to IA and that would be a disaster for the conference. Adding NDSU, UND, and Denver would make a lot of sense for travel reasons and it would really strengthen the conference. I am not going to say this will happen but for the Big Sky it would be the perfect way to stablize your conference for a long time.

I dont know why everyone is so surprised about why the exploritory year is 07-08. If UND wanted this year to be the exploratory year, we would of had told the NCC by december, since that wasn't done, the only option was to wait a year. I also believe that recruiting wont be hurt at all by this. In almost all sports freshman redshirt their freshman year, so really only this years class that has already commited will be affected. Their isn't a rush to get into this, one year longer will not affect our conference affiliation, because we will most likely be an independent for at least 2 or 3 years, until we prove ourselves, and increase our RPI ratings. Its not about if we get into a conference first, its about what is best for this University, and yes sometimes this means having NDSU get into a conference first. I would rather take is slow and have a decent amount of funds in order, than to rush into it only to fall flat on our faces. If everyone can let go of the UND vs. NDSU thing, and look at the situation from the Universities stand point it might make more sense.

Man, you'll never give up the dream will you? Just for the record, you really think that Denver is going to ask for UND to be in the Big Sky to get them in? Because that would really help the move from a basketball perspective right? I mean the guarunteed game against a non-eligible school with a likely horrible RPI? Thats what they want to be in, a guarunteed two games against UND, who has little chance to be even respectable in basketball until they are out of the transition.
Which is better for the gate, two games against DII, DIII, or NAIA competition (like Hamline, Mayville St., and Valley City St in the NDSU schedule) or two against UND for the one year that UND is a DII counter?

SDSU fans seem to be concerned about UND getting into the Sky before them: http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1150921064

Thats really what you think Denver is going to beg for? Two games a season against UND in basketball, because of their hockey team? Thats so rediculous that its almost mind boggling.
Denver fans don't think its so "rediculous" (sic): http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=2614...mp;postcount=33

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=2614...mp;postcount=11

UND isn't going to be an independent for several years. Get over it and accept it now. The big sky doesn't have a huge conspiracy theory to get UND when its most convenient for UND, so that UND doesn't have to go through a transition period.
Hmm .... you must have been reading the SDSU board, too, even though you're not a rabbit fan. ??? You must be getting paranoid, too, as they also used the word "conspiracy".

Which is better for the gate, two games against DII, DIII, or NAIA competition (like Hamline, Mayville St., and Valley City St in the NDSU schedule) or two against UND for the one year that UND is a DII counter?

SDSU fans seem to be concerned about UND getting into the Sky before them: http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1150921064

Denver fans don't think its so "rediculous" (sic): http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=2614...mp;postcount=33

http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?p=2614...mp;postcount=11

Hmm .... you must have been reading the SDSU board, too, even though you're not a rabbit fan. ??? You must be getting paranoid, too, as they also used the word "conspiracy".

Which is better for the gate, a possible at large bid to the NCAA tournament, or playing UND, a school that is going to have a terrible RPI for the next six years (Your post incorrectly states only one year of D-II, your not going to have a high RPI until you can actually recruit decent basketball players, which will start, depending on who you talk to, either after the transistion or never). Despite a single post on the subject that you referenced from denver, having conference games against UND in basketball is not where that school wants to be, and for you to say they were going to REQUEST UND as a way to go to the big sky isn't realistic. They don't want anything to do with the big sky now, but lower the conference RPI even further because of a hockey school... yeah, then Denver is going to be interested.

BTW, I know that my posts don't have perfect spelling, I readily admit I don't proof read them at all. If it makes you feel good to proof read my writings and tell me about the mistakes, I'm all for you doing that in every post. Just remember it doesn't change that UND isn't going to be in a conference during its transition.

Yeah, and I don't know what you would call most of your posts? You don't seem to think that there conspiracy theories (BTW, conspiracy is a pretty common word, but I guess you think they only teach it at SDSU? Maybe UND alums aren't exposed to the word conspiracy, but its used pretty widely outside of grand forks, and not just in brookings) so what would you call them? Certainly not facts. Predictions is pushing the envelope, since you don't have a real good record with your big sky predictions over the last couple of years. Maybe wild predictions? I don't know, get back to me on the correct terminology though, and the word list that only SDSU fans use, so that I'll be able to respond without being accused of being an SDSU fan when you know you're dead wrong on something.

What happens after the 07-08 exploratory year and UND doesn't have a conference lined up?
Who knows what UND will do in two years if your hypothetical scenario comes about. By then UND may have decided it can't afford D-I, or may have been accepted to Big Sky. Things change -- keep in mind that NDSU officials promised the faithful a conference within a year and a half of their announcement or that they'd be looking for new jobs.

Having listened to the press conference and paid close attention to what UND has been saying the last few months, however, it sounds like they are pretty reasonable about conference affiliation expectations. In fact, in response to a question about what they learned from watching NDSU, they talked about learning how hard they'd have to work to find a conference. My best guess is that they're going into this thinking your scenario quite likely, so hopefully they're prepared to deal with it.

Who knows what UND will do in two years if your hypothetical scenario comes about. By then UND may have decided it can't afford D-I, or may have been accepted to Big Sky. Things change -- keep in mind that NDSU officials promised the faithful a conference within a year and a half of their announcement or that they'd be looking for new jobs.

Having listened to the press conference and paid close attention to what UND has been saying the last few months, however, it sounds like they are pretty reasonable about conference affiliation expectations. In fact, in response to a question about what they learned from watching NDSU, they talked about learning how hard they'd have to work to find a conference. My best guess is that they're going into this thinking your scenario quite likely, so hopefully they're prepared to deal with it.

You keep saying the NDSU officials promiosed a cnference within a year and half. Who said that and when?

Who needs details such as this? It's simply much easier for a disgruntled former employee to stir the pot without providing actual facts. ???

Perhaps there are current employees who arent too happy....i thought specific shots at posters was not allowed on this board??

In fact a current employee told me he is on vacation....not at the AD's meetings....so I guess current employees do not know then huh??

My point being why not have the AD at this press conference??? Does this not seem odd??

Mr. Kupchella has told the coaches that if the money isnt there...since everyone is telling him the two million dollars is there....they will not go Div. 1

Perhaps there are current employees who arent too happy....i thought specific shots at posters was not allowed on this board??

In fact a current employee told me he is on vacation....not at the AD's meetings....so I guess current employees do not know then huh??

My point being why not have the AD at this press conference??? Does this not seem odd??

Dr. Kupchella specifically addressed this at the conference. He stated Buning was in New Orleans at an AD conference and "not to read into it".

Audio Conference

Show me where I said anything about a specific poster. I guess if the shoe fits. :lol:

Speaking of shots... how about shot after shot after shot at current administration at UND? There seems to be a clear pattern to each post you've made on here. If there is something substantial going on, do something about it. Show's a lot of class coming on a message board and posting gripes anonymously. How can anyone not read "disgruntled former employee" into the posts? ???

Don't think I've ever seen it in print, but WDAY has it on film.

Gene basically said if NDSU wasn't in a conference in 18 months he should lose his job.

I'm glad he didn't.

That's a far cry from promising a conference in 1 1/2 years. (Think about it how could anyone promise that) I remember him saying that finding a conference was the number 1 thing he'll be doing and if he can't find one (jokingly) he should lose his job.

Which is better for the gate, a possible at large bid to the NCAA tournament, or playing UND, a school that is going to have a terrible RPI for the next six years (Your post incorrectly states only one year of D-II, your not going to have a high RPI until you can actually recruit decent basketball players, which will start, depending on who you talk to, either after the transistion or never). Despite a single post on the subject that you referenced from denver, having conference games against UND in basketball is not where that school wants to be, and for you to say they were going to REQUEST UND as a way to go to the big sky isn't realistic. They don't want anything to do with the big sky now, but lower the conference RPI even further because of a hockey school... yeah, then Denver is going to be interested.

BTW, I know that my posts don't have perfect spelling, I readily admit I don't proof read them at all. If it makes you feel good to proof read my writings and tell me about the mistakes, I'm all for you doing that in every post. Just remember it doesn't change that UND isn't going to be in a conference during its transition.

Yeah, and I don't know what you would call most of your posts? You don't seem to think that there conspiracy theories (BTW, conspiracy is a pretty common word, but I guess you think they only teach it at SDSU? Maybe UND alums aren't exposed to the word conspiracy, but its used pretty widely outside of grand forks, and not just in brookings) so what would you call them? Certainly not facts. Predictions is pushing the envelope, since you don't have a real good record with your big sky predictions over the last couple of years. Maybe wild predictions? I don't know, get back to me on the correct terminology though, and the word list that only SDSU fans use, so that I'll be able to respond without being accused of being an SDSU fan when you know you're dead wrong on something.

How about toning down the insulting tone? Your points will actually be much more effective if you do.