SiouxSports.com Forum

Why Siouxnami is optimistic about the 2006/2007 Fighting Sioux!

siouxnami

To steal from a complete idiot...

"All the negativity in this town sucks, Zach Parise, Travis Zajac, Drew Stafford, and Matt Smaby aren't going to walk through that door..."

Turnover

The Fighting Sioux are what they are, they are a team that every year fills their team with some of the best talent in college hockey. As a result, this talent matures and moves on to the next level. Because this talent has success at the next level, more talent comes. Players leaving early is a reality, live with it and quit whining. Would you really tell a 20 year old, "no risk financial security for the rest of your life for a trophy?" When one does come back, surprisingly, enjoy it, don't expect it.

I have been outspoken about people posting stuff that is speculation. Sure some has turned out to be true, but timelines and facts have been wrong, meaning your facts are flawed at best and outright lies at worst. Those of you posting BS, let it go... :D

Right after the season, I said that if everyone stayed, next seasons team could be one of the best ever. It didn't happen. Oh well, we will have to settle for another very good Sioux team.

Freshman

I've got news for you. Maybe the greatest freshman class ever (considering both quantity AND quality) will be back and improved. All those freshman D will be much better. Do you remember what happened to Travis Roach between his Freshman and Sophamore year? By the 2007 tournements this D should be awesome on both ends of the ice.

The forwards, WOW, lets not be delusional, we probably have Toews and Oshie for 1 more year. Enjoy it. These guys are awesome. Duncan will continure to improve. Kozek, Watkins, and Miller, have shown flashes of what they can do. Lets not forget that Miller was recovering from a severe injury this year. They would be the first line on alot of teams. I expect a coming out party for these guys next season.

Solid lines, D and goaltending

Our D should be much improved even with the loss of Smaby. Finley, will be playing what should be his freshman year and will be physical. Chorney, Lee, and Jones will improve on what can only be considered as outstanding Freshman seasons. Radke played the game of his life against BC, and I look for that to continue. One of my favorite players (obvious to anyone that has seen my sig for the last year+) Robbie Bina will be back with heart and fire. Alexander and Marto?? look to be worthy backups at worst.

We have 2 great goaltenders, as I have seen nothing to lead me to believe that Parise is leaving. Phill has played well in general, he just hasn't gotten the goal support.

Our forwards should be great, despite the losses. I don't know what the lines will be but in terms of personal:

Oshie-Toews-Duncan (name me a better line in college hockey)

Kozek-Kaip-Fabian (a talented hard-nosed physical line)

Watkins-Porter-Vandevelde

Forney-Miller-Zajac#2

Wow, look at that talent. At this point I am still guessing that Forney will come, given his immense talent. We would have an AWESOME first line, a ferocious and talented checking line. An all-NHL draft pick line featuring Porter (who I think will explode this year) And a very stron 4th line that can play with anyone. Not bad for a reloading year. :lol:

Oh yeah, and we have one hell of a good coaching staff as well...

NHLs in the Ralph

I don't think that we appreciate enough, how many times we see 6 guys with NHL talent on the ice at one time for the Sioux. Maybe this season, we can enjoy it, because it will happen alot. :D Guys with at minimum the potential to play in the NHL include:

Parise

Phil

Oshie

Toews

Kozek

Watkins

Porter

Finley

Lee

Chorney

Jones

Radke

Vandevelde

Forney

NOT TOO SHABBY!!! :love:

Awesome recruits.

Hey folks, the pipeline is NOT running dry! We have 2 more high round NHL picks in the works with Forney and LaPoint, not to mention Trupp who will also likely be drafted. North Dakota has a history of not only bringing in first class players, but first class people as well. Have you ever heard of the team underperforming, because of issues in the locker room? Many great programs have had this issue.

I'm sure that we will continue to get great recruts for 2007 and beyond. All of these great players are potential recruits for UND for one reason or another:

Ben Blood-D Shattuck St.Mary's 6'1 180 3-15-89

Jeff Foss-D Moorhead 6'2 180 12-12-88 (another Moorhead kid)

Mario Lamoureux-LC Tri-City (USHL) 5'11 180 6-18-88

Colin Wilson-LC USNDPT U-18 Team 5'11 180 10-20-89 (I think Vegas said he is from Winipeg)

Jason Gregoire-LW Winnipeg So.Blues (MJHL) 5'11 175 2-24-89 (Vegas?)

David Toews-LC Colorado Outlaws 5'11 170 6-7-90

Kelsey Tessier-C Colorado Outlaws 5'8 150 1-16-90

Jordy Murray-RC Shattuck St.Mary's 5'8 155 1-8-90

Wade Poplawski-D Winnipeg (MJHL) 5'11 180 8-12-86 61-4-36-40-93 2003 Manitoba U17 Team

Ben Winnett-RW Salmon Arm (BCHL) 6' 175 4-3-89 60-18-31-49-31

Aaron Marvin-C/LW Warroad 6'3 180 5-27-88

Brad Malone

This will keep the wild ride going. Enjoy...

And finally

Every where the Sioux travel they can expect a lift from the fans. Pound for pound we travel better than anyone else in the nation. We are passionate about our team and will support them regardless of the circumstances. (No, I'm not talking about you losers that post crap and whine here or sit on your hands at the Ralph). But there is a huge legion of support for our team, and this legion will only continue to grow because we are the best tradition in college hockey bar none! :0

So this is why I am excite for the 2006/2007 season and beyond. Fighting Sioux fans, be loud and proud for your team.

Go Fighting Sioux!!!

(fyi, this will also be ther first real post at www.siouxnami.blogspot.com)

hell siouxnami, was all this info needed?? the only important part is your shameless plug for yet another BLOG :D

good points, wake me up in october please.......................

i will steal a quote from GREEN DAY

1-Green_Day_-_Wake_Me_Up_When_September_Ends.jpg

Siouxnami,

You forgot Travis Zajak's little brother - isn't he coming in next year? :D

No but Travis Zajac's little brother is... :love: Thanks I will make the correction. Sorry Genoway you are now

starting out on my practice squad... And it is all HeidiSioux62's fault... :lol:

Another reason to be excited...

I don't think a line of Kozek Kaip and Fabian as a second line is going to strike fear into too many opponents. Kozek is supposed to be a goal scorer he needs to play with guys who have more offensive ability. Kozek will be relied on to score a lot more this year.

I agree with the TRIOUXPER as Toews and Oshie are the two best centers and why put all your eggs in one basket. Kozek with Toews and Duncan or Kozek with Oshie and yet to be determined. I think Kaip with Fabian and Zajac would be a good combo of offense and defense.

I agree with the TRIOUXPER as Toews and Oshie are the two best centers and why put all your eggs in one basket. Kozek with Toews and Duncan or Kozek with Oshie and yet to be determined. I think Kaip with Fabian and Zajac would be a good combo of offense and defense.

Are you feeling OK ?

I don't see Toews and Oshie on the same line either, as they are clearly the two best centers on the team. Just my 2 cents worth.
I've already said it once this spring: I hope we get to have this debate (whether Toews and Oshie should be on the same line).

My opinion on it is that they are both not just centers by position, but also the center of attention when they're on the ice. To me, that means they would each be better suited with complimentary linemates, guys like Kozek and Duncan who can clean up and take advantage of the open space. I look at it like this: When Oshie's on one of his ridiculous (!!) and frequent rushes up the ice, Toews doesn't have the puck. I'd rather have Toews out there separately so he can have the puck more.

It does shape up to be one heck of a #1 PP unit, though.

I like Toews, Duncan, Porter, why break them up. Oshie, Watkins and Kozek is an intresting combo, and wouldn't mind seeing.

How many centers does this team have? I wonder if Watkins needs to center a 3rd or 4th line.

definitely keep Toews and Duncan together. I was talkin to Jon one day and he said Duncan and Stafford with him was most likely the best line he has ever been on, chemistry-wise (skill wise, i think its obvious anyways lol). Since Drew is gone, just fill in the slot. Duncan and Toews are an incredible pair there, and completing the line with an older player like Porter would be in the best interest of the team: Young guns at the front, complimented by experience and leadership on one wing.

Duncan, Toews, Porter

Fabian, Oshie, Kozek

Zajac, Watkins, La Point

Miller, Trupp, Martens

not that i know much about lines, but i think the first 2 lines on there are pretty much the general consensus. What about the last 2 lines i have? any pointers? insight?

definitely keep Toews and Duncan together. I was talkin to Jon one day and he said Duncan and Stafford with him was most likely the best line he has ever been on, chemistry-wise (skill wise, i think its obvious anyways lol). Since Drew is gone, just fill in the slot. Duncan and Toews are an incredible pair there, and completing the line with an older player like Porter would be in the best interest of the team: Young guns at the front, complimented by experience and leadership on one wing.

Duncan, Toews, Porter

Fabian, Oshie, Kozek

Zajac, Watkins, La Point

Miller, Trupp, Martens

not that i know much about lines, but i think the first 2 lines on there are pretty much the general consensus. What about the last 2 lines i have? any pointers? insight?

I'm a big "Fabian on the checking line" guy. Fabian can chip in a goal or two but we need a line with experience, physicality and moxie to hold down the opponent's big line. I trust Fabian in that role. Fabian and Kaip and Zajac might be able to do that very well.

LaPoint is a defenseman. FYI

With all the negativity with the early departures as of late, it's good to see a positive post on the Fighting Sioux Hockey Team for 2006-07. The simple fact is we are fortunate to have such a GREAT program to support & brag about...thanks Siouxnami for reminding us.

I'm a big "Fabian on the checking line" guy. Fabian can chip in a goal or two but we need a line with experience, physicality and moxie to hold down the opponent's big line. I trust Fabian in that role. Fabian and Kaip and Zajac might be able to do that very well.

LaPoint is a defenseman. FYI

HOLY CRAP he is isnt he.....ok, sorry, it was like 8am, i got to bed at 4.....been up since 7.....not runnin on the most pistons right now lol. i left out Vandevelde

If Vandevelde comes, which now that i think about it could be a good possibility, with 1 year of juniors behind him, he would probably be good for second line. So here is my revised projected depth chart

Duncan, Toews, Porter

Vandevelde, Oshie, Kozek

Zajac, Kaip, Fabian

Miller, Trupp, Watkins

LaPoint will play Jrs. ( I hear he really needs it)

Every team loses good/great players - But some teams have good players who stay 4 yrs - Maybe not Great Players - but do really good (Maybe Great) with upper classmen - Badgers as a recent example