SiouxSports.com Forum

WEATHER ALERT For The WCHA FINAL FIVE

farce poobah

Current forecast is snow most of the day Thursday 5-7 inches of snow. If you're coming from GF or outstate for Thursday's game, allow a LOT of extra time (90 minutes) to get across town...

Of course the contrarian in me says that we'll be fine since the forecast is for snow.

FRIDAY is looking better right now but the hazard will be crazy Irish (and Norwegians pretending to be Irish) in downtown St Paul. Also good idea to allow extra time to get around, parked, in.

ALOHA.

I was just watching the news here and was going to post something, farce. You beat me to it.

I recall a Final Five Thursday game between Wisconsin and I believe Colorado College a few years ago. Walking to the X...no problem. Walking out and driving home? Near-disaster!

I was just watching the news here and was going to post something, farce. You beat me to it.

I recall a Final Five Thursday game between Wisconsin and I believe Colorado College a few years ago. Walking to the X...no problem. Walking out and driving home? Near-disaster!

That was a great time. There was a bigger crowd there than I expected. I threw a shovel into the Outback and cruised to and from the game. There was snow, but it was a good time. Kept most of the traffic down, so no real problem. I would expect tomorrow might be similar.

This is probably as good a place as any to post this questions so-

Unfortunately, the reason that I'm actually going to be in the cities is to go to an awards banquet for my mom, which happens to be at 6:00 pm on Friday. My guess is the game will be over 5ish, does that leave me enough time to get to the Northland Inn (I-94/169 intersection area), throw on a tie, and get to the dinner by 6?

I thought I'd point out that the winter storm watch is now a winter storm warning. I was going to leave tomorrow morning so I could take in the UMD-SCSU game. This is going to screw up my travel plans.

Expires 12:30 PM CST on March 15, 2006

Statement as of 4:17 AM CST on March 15, 2006

... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 PM this evening to 12 PM

CST Thursday...

The National Weather Service in Twin Cities/Chanhassen has issued

a Winter Storm Warning... which is in effect from 6 PM this

evening to 12 PM CST Thursday. The Winter Storm Watch is no

longer in effect.

During the evening hours... snow will begin from west to east across

central and south central Minnesota... including the Twin Cities

Metro area. This snow will likely be heavy at times overnight and

Thursday morning. Significant snowfall accumulations of five to

seven inches are anticipated before the snow ends near midday

Thursday.

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow...

sleet... and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also

possible. This will make travel very hazardous... including I-35

and I-94.

Unfortunately, the reason that I'm actually going to be in the cities is to go to an awards banquet for my mom, which happens to be at 6:00 pm on Friday. My guess is the game will be over 5ish, does that leave me enough time to get to the Northland Inn (I-94/169 intersection area), throw on a tie, and get to the dinner by 6?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Herf but I would say no. You will be fighting rush hour traffic out of downtown.

Position a parking spot headed to I-35E. Go North. Take that to I-694 west. The Northland Inn is a stretch away, and there will be some traffic with which to deal.

Your momma will be proud to see you show up late, in a jersey instead of a tie, and with knowledge that you will always love her regardless of banquets and awards.

If you leave by 5, by the time that you walk to your car, get on the road, and get to the Northland, I suspect that it could well be closer to 6:30 at the earliest. Other opinions may vary.

It will be tight for you. On a normal weekday at that time the drive could be 30-40 minutes, if traffic is bad or there is snow it could get ugly.

Doubtful. Without traffic and with good roads that could be done, but you're talking rush hour traffic. In good weather you should plan on 1/2 hour drive time at the least. 45 minutes would be what I'd normally budget. I'm not terribly familiar with 694 traffic, but from what I understand the 94 traffic from St Paul to Mpls is not good. At best I'd say you'd be on the road for 1 hour. Getting to your vehicle, getting into the hotel, etc are extras you need to factor in. Of course, I normally drive on the west side of the cities so I'm just giving you my best guess.

Awww...

Some of you pilot types tell me: I'm flying in from GFK at 11 a.m. tomorrow, in the Cities an hour or so later. Any problems, takeoff-wise or landing-wise because of this projected storm?

Shouldn't be a problem. On Monday, I heard that there were out going flights delayed as MSP was down to one runway - but I don't believe any incoming flights were diverted. Also, we got more snow that day than is expected tonight and tomorrow.

The drive from Bloomington or Eagan to downtown will be slow though as this town does not move unless the weather and road conditions are perfect.

See you here.

Of course, I normally drive on the west side of the cities so I'm just giving you my best guess.
So really, just more uninformed speculation. ... ???

If the snow ends mid-day Thursday, it shouldn't be affecting traffic too much by Friday night. However, I agree that the time of day alone plus the residual weather effect will mean you'll have to chop a little early.

I don't see what the problem is? The Sioux will be up by three with 10 minutes to go in the third and it's not like the Red Menace can sneak three past Parise the rest of the way. Speaking as a former courier who has logged over 750,000 miles driving the twin cities, I would stay away from 35E north at that time of day. Just take 94w through Minneapolis (even if it is slow it breaks up beautifully after the tunnel) to 694w, your exit (Boone Ave) is the one after 81 and you'll see the Northland Inn overlooking the freeway from the NW corner.

Taking 35Eto 694W is like taking the two legs while taking 94W is driving the hypotenuse.(sp)

Go Sioux and congrats Mom!

Taking 35Eto 694W is like taking the two legs while taking 94W is driving the hypotenuse.(sp)

Sorry Herf. Cavedurtis is probably right on this one, but the 94W traffic will be miserable as well.

There are a countless number of morons in the Twin Cities, and many of them will be driving their cars

on the freeways at 5 pm Friday.

Awww...

Some of you pilot types tell me: I'm flying in from GFK at 11 a.m. tomorrow, in the Cities an hour or so later. Any problems, takeoff-wise or landing-wise because of this projected storm

I work for NWA and MSP was shut down for the day and FAR and GFK had 20 flight diverted so be prepared to spend a good day getting to the cities. That is why I am driving down and keeping my phone off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Herf but I would say no. You will be fighting rush hour traffic out of downtown.

Position a parking spot headed to I-35E. Go North. Take that to I-694 west. The Northland Inn is a stretch away, and there will be some traffic with which to deal.

Your momma will be proud to see you show up late, in a jersey instead of a tie, and with knowledge that you will always love her regardless of banquets and awards.

If you leave by 5, by the time that you walk to your car, get on the road, and get to the Northland, I suspect that it could well be closer to 6:30 at the earliest. Other opinions may vary.

Please remember that friday rush hours are always worse than any other day, but it is also St. Patricks's day and the buses usually run for free. I suggest you were your tie under the jersey and have your mom save you a seat.

I don't see what the problem is? The Sioux will be up by three with 10 minutes to go in the third and it's not like the Red Menace can sneak three past Parise the rest of the way. Speaking as a former courier who has logged over 750,000 miles driving the twin cities, I would stay away from 35E north at that time of day. Just take 94w through Minneapolis (even if it is slow it breaks up beautifully after the tunnel) to 694w, your exit (Boone Ave) is the one after 81 and you'll see the Northland Inn overlooking the freeway from the NW corner.

Wow...I'll take your word for it, cavedurtis. I have always assumed that as bad as 35E/694 can be, 94 west from St Paul thru Minneapolis and beyond must be much worse. I guess I was wrong.

Awww...

Some of you pilot types tell me: I'm flying in from GFK at 11 a.m. tomorrow, in the Cities an hour or so later. Any problems, takeoff-wise or landing-wise because of this projected storm?

I work for DSM Airport Operations and deal with the occaisional snow storm requiring me to do runway checks. Basically, if it is snowing hard like it is forecast there will be delays due to runway closures. I can't guarantee no cancellations, but delays are possible. I don't know how MSP operates in snow. I do know they have more snow equipment than DSM obviously. So they can keep more surfaces open whereas we always close one (of two) runways here during heavy snows. And if it was anything like Sunday-Monday, they had all but one runway open. When this happens, you know it is bad and they have to allocate all of their resources (plows, brooms) to that one runway just to keep the airport open.

It really is something to see. Part of my job is coordinating runway closures, and getting the plows out there. Most of the time we can go in between takeoffs and landings. But others, we close for an hour at a time. All this means, is that the airplanes will have to hold in the air while the runway surface friction MU values (another thing I test) are made better by the plows and brooms. The higher the MU number, the better it is for pilots to land the airplanes. Just watch "Airport" and you will see what I do, LOL :lol:

This should be a fun drive up for me from IA. It will be snowing north of Ames, and will progressivly get worse from the sounds of it. I will be leaving around noon on Thursday, and will be there for the night game!

Shouldn't be a problem. On Monday, I heard that there were out going flights delayed as MSP was down to one runway - but I don't believe any incoming flights were diverted. Also, we got more snow that day than is expected tonight and tomorrow.

The drive from Bloomington or Eagan to downtown will be slow though as this town does not move unless the weather and road conditions are perfect.

See you here.

Actually there were about four different flights diverted to GFK that should have landed in MSP. They eventually made it about 3-4 hours late.