SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-Minnesota Game 2

PCM

First, congratulations to the Gophers. They played better than the Sioux and deserved the win tonight. The split doesn't hurt the Sioux and it doesn't really help the Gophers.

Second, although losing to the Gophers is never pleasant, it does take some of the pressure off the team. Let someone else be ranked number-one for a change. If this team has the character I believe it does, the Sioux will learn from this loss and use it to their advantage down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Overall, I didn't think the Sioux played their game. Friday night was more indicative of their usual level of play. The series at Colorado College will be the next big test. But first, they need a good effort and 4 points from UAA.

As Blais said after the game, going to UAA next week will help the team get more accustomed to the big ice before taking on the Tigers in their own building. Getting the week off before CC should help, too.

I agree with Tim Hennessy's assessment of Saturday's game that the Sioux had the opportunity to put the Gophers away in the second period and they didn't do it. I think if UND had gone up 3-1, it would have been a different game. Giving up the shorthanded goal to start the third period was the real backbreaker.

With the exception of the first goal Jake Brandt gave up Friday night, I thought he played very well. Perhaps the Sioux have finally found a more consistent goalie. I hope Marc Ranfranz gets a start at UAA. He deserves a shot.

There's still a lot of hockey to be played and I believe that UND will be in the hunt for the title to the end of the season.

I didn't get to listen to or see the game but it sounds like the Sioux just got beat tonite. It's going to happen. I agree with PCM that they can use this now as a learning experience and be stronger in the long run.

If anyone hears about Canady's injury please post. It's a shame because I thought he played really well in the CC series.

I didn't get to listen to or see the game but it sounds like the Sioux just got beat tonite. It's going to happen. I agree with PCM that they can use this now as a learning experience and be stronger in the long run.

If anyone hears about Canady's injury please post. It's a shame because I thought he played really well in the CC series.

I listened to the Gopher broadcast of the end of the second period and start of the third, then I watched the last 8 minutes.

Going into it I was hoping for a split and hoping they played well. Of course this afternoon I was hoping for more than a split, but I'm happy enough taking two points out of there and going home. I was fearful the Sioux would go up to UAA and get beat if they had swept MN; in fact, I'm still worried about it. No matter how much better a team is, you can't account for emotion and human nature. You know the Sioux were pumped for the MN series, and it will be hard to be that intense next weekend.

Anyway, I chose the right night to attend, as I was able to view firsthand the Sioux's excellent adventure on Friday. Tonight I had a family commitment at, of all places, the U of M Natatorium (sp?), which is a block away from Mariucci. Some good North Dakota boys (including my nephew) from Minot were in town for a swim meet.

I wasn't able to hear the postgame. What were Blais's comments? Also, was there any word on Canady? That place is a house of horrors for him, as that's where he hurt his knee last year. I hope it's not serious.

I caught Zach's goal on the TV news. Nice. They also showed the Koalska to Vanek to Riddle goal, on which Brandt had no chance. Also nice, in a sick way.

Then I saw Fleming's SHG to start the third. I know breakaway goals aren't just the goalie's fault, but I've seen this before and have to comment on it. Waibel passed to Fleming pretty early, and Waibel then wasn't a threat to receive a return pass - it was Fleming against Brandt, period. So why, on Fleming's move, was Brandt on his tummy? I have an idea - stand up and stay with the shooter until he runs out of space. He did the same thing against Malone when he had a breakaway. At least make it close. My model for staying with the shooter on the breakaway, believe it or not, is the Josh Siembida that arrived about 54 weeks ago. He was so confident then. I'm not lobbying for Josh to get more playing time, as he doesn't seem to be the same player now.

Solid weekend for the Sioux. Get four really important points next week.

That was a tough third period to watch. Came out late and flat, and instantly gave up a sh breakaway and a 2 on 1 (resulting in a goal).

Haven't seen the Sioux this year before last night, but they've sure sounded like they played with more intensity in third periods than they did last night. Very flat beginning to end. Guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I listened to the Gopher broadcast of the end of the second period and start of the third, then I watched the last 8 minutes.

Going into it I was hoping for a split and hoping they played well.  Of course this afternoon I was hoping for more than a split, but I'm happy enough taking two points out of there and going home.  I was fearful the Sioux would go up to UAA and get beat if they had swept MN; in fact, I'm still worried about it...

I see it this way & if i'm wrong please forgive me. Last night's game UND just had a bad night & that happens. Better yet "Life Happens." As for the comming weeks well I think the team can rebound from this & for the better. So let's put this one behind us & go forward.

The unbeaten streak had to end sooner or later.

Now the coaches have something to yell about in practice. :D

If the team is going to lose because of a slow, flat period I'd rather it be in January than March. You can learn from it and correct it in January.

I'd agree; one lackluster period is little to get concerned about. Bound to happen sooner or later. Wish it hadn't been the Gophers.

Coming out late in the third (to let the ice freeze) kind of backfired. Sioux didn't get a chance to skate a bit before the puck dropped. Seemed that as a result, the breakaway and two on one that put the Gophers ahead essentially ended the game. Sioux seemed a bit tentative after that.

Good game to learn from for later this year. Did I say I wish it hadn't happened against the Gophers?

After watching P. Martin try to break the puck loose from the water covered ice behind the net to begin the third on Friday night (with Sioux penalty time remaining), guess the Sioux didn't want a repeat performance by them on Saturday night.

That was really entertaining to watch; used up about 30 seconds of PP time (PMartin) behind the Gopher net trying to break out, and never made it (and he was by himself with the puck). Hilarious.

sprig - typically they run two zamboni's between periods, and I would guess one was being used at the Title IX palace next door. Anyway, running two allows the ice more time to set up so that does not happen. Needless to say, seeing the puck stopping right in front of the Gopher net (and me!) did give me some minor heart palpitations. :D

sprig - typically they run two zamboni's between periods, and I would guess one was being used at the Title IX palace next door. Anyway, running two allows the ice more time to set up so that does not happen. Needless to say, seeing the puck stopping right in front of the Gopher net (and me!) did give me some minor heart palpitations. :D

Can the ref hold up the start of the period due to ice problems? Seems like they should be able to make a decision to hold things off for a few minutes to let the ice set up if need be. On the other hand maybe they don't do that to keep the home team from using that to their advantage somehow...

Can the ref hold up the start of the period due to ice problems? Seems like they should be able to make a decision to hold things off for a few minutes to let the ice set up if need be. On the other hand maybe they don't do that to keep the home team from using that to their advantage somehow...

Well it sure as hell didn't help the home team. :D

My thought - if the only have one machine nuke the between periods crap on the ice and resurface. BTW, did you see the sled race betweent the Sioux and Gopher fans? KBG and WPoS from POI were the Gopher contestants. WPoS has the first sled dog.

I'd like to know who kept track of the entries?

BTW, I heard his good buddy, Big Eddie, was counciling him on his numbers.

Swyg kept the numbers. Blame him. :D

"Big Eddie"? I don't know what's funnier, imagining him as my 'good buddy' or going to him for hockey advice.