SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few MN games and Kessel had made some very sweet passes to assist on goals on the PP.

He has continually been one of the team's best passers all season long. He's made some fantastic plays on odd man rushes that have lead to goals. Look at Ben Gordon. He's played with Kessel for the majority of the season, and he's performing exceedingly better than any Gopher fan could have envisioned. Gordon is 6th on the team in points with 9-13 = 22. Underclassmen like Gordon and veterans like Potulny, Irmen, Goligoski, and Harrington have all benefited from Phil being on the ice with them.

Sure, a lot of his assists are on the power play, but Kessel often brings the puck in and rotates to the top of the umbrella. From here, he has earned assists for a) nice passes down low, b) rotating to the boards and feeding Goli or Harry at the top, eventaully leading to a goal, and c) some rebound goals.

ahhh, come on. can't you just play along and say his assists are all rebounds from his own shots ;)

OK, all his assists are rebounds off the end boards of plays where Kessel missed the net with his shot. :lol:

The value he has brought to the Gophers is the basically the guys who is in charge of carrying through the neutral zone and establishing posession in the attacking zone. He then typically dishes back to the point and awaits a return pass that he can shoot wide. He does get the assist though when Irmen gathers the puck and dishes to RP. :lol:

Truly it will come down to whether the voters want goals and a physical game (Oshie/Toews) or goals and a great power play distributer (Kessel). There really isn't a bad choice despite what some on both sides are saying.

Seems to me you'd save such a golden e-mail regarding the 2nd coming of Parise.

Well since you asked, I was able to find it in my deleted folder.

According to the email he said, "It was interesting that both Kessel and Oshie had only four points against the league's top three defensive teams (replacing Minnesota with fourth-best CC in Kessel's case). Also, Kessel got 48.5 percent of his league points in games against the bottom three defensive teams (Anchorage, Tech, Duluth) while Oshie got 45.8."

Yes, those were the interesting stats I was referring to. Seems to me neither did a whole lot against the top teams while Kessell did a little better during the weakest teams.

Anything else Slap Sh*t?

OK, all his assists are rebounds off the end boards of plays where Kessel missed the net with his shot. :lol:

The value he has brought to the Gophers is the basically the guys who is in charge of carrying through the neutral zone and establishing posession in the attacking zone. He then typically dishes back to the point and awaits a return pass that he can shoot wide. He does get the assist though when Irmen gathers the puck and dishes to RP. :lol:

Truly it will come down to whether the voters want goals and a physical game (Oshie/Toews) or goals and a great power play distributer (Kessel). There really isn't a bad choice despite what some on both sides are saying.

none of the three is a bad choice. honestly they aren't. it's just fun to bash kessel, as i'm sure it's fun for the gophers to bash anyone for UND, good smack talk, that's all

Anything else Slap Sh*t?

Yes. What's your point? One of the endlessly tiresome and baseless slams here on Kessel was that doesn't produce against the higher end teams - seems the same can be said of Oshie. But thanks for the cute twist on my name.

If you've been able to watch Oshie "all season", how is it you've also been able to see enough of Kessel to aver what he is or is not?

Unfortunately, the Fox feed I usually receive in Ottawa features the two teams I love to see lose. Yours and Bucky. I have seen enough to recognize a one way player. ;)

Unfortunately, the Fox feed I usually receive in Ottawa features the two teams I love to see lose. Yours and Bucky. I have seen enough to recognize a one way player. ;)

Must admit though that he's not as bad as Vanek was in that area. Always loved to see him doing circles near the blue line while his other teammates worked their butts off in the defensive zone.

Must admit though that he's not as bad as Vanek was in that area. Always loved to see him doing circles near the blue line while his other teammates worked their butts off in the defensive zone.

Ah yes the cherry-pickin dough boy, no one could equal him in that area. ;)

seems like the move to center for toews has really made his game different and his numbers have sure gone up. just wondering...did he play center at shattuck as i know he centered a line at the world juniors this last tourney and why was he not at center at the beginning of this year? was it a numbers thing? thx

Toews has been a center since he was 6 years old. The first part of this year was probably his first real experience at the wing position and it showed based on what I observed. He seemed tentative and was not really himself, especially in his own end.

He is much more comfortable at center as shown from his most recent statistics. It will be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs.

Jon is a very determined young man. He apparently had a slow start at Shattuck when he went there at 15 years of age. He turned it on at the end of the season and finished with just over 110 points as a 15 year old playing AAA midget. Shattuck, however, did not win the national championships in his first year and I can tell you that he was not going to let that happen again. The following year he led Shattuck to the national championship as a 16 year old. Enjoy Jon while you have him because he is a very special player.

The bottom line is Kessel is an will be the Rookie of the year!!!!!!!!look he has more points then Stafford or for that matter, the whole Sioux team with 3 less games played. I do think Oshie and Towes are very,very good but Mr Kessel is still the ROY just my opinion.....

The bottom line is Kessel is an will be the Rookie of the year!!!!!!!!look he has more points then Stafford or for that matter, the whole Sioux team with 3 less games played. I do think Oshie and Towes are very,very good but Mr Kessel is still the ROY just my opinion.....

More proof that the Skippies are obsessed and nervous about the performance of Oshie. ???

Ah yes the cherry-pickin dough boy, no one could equal him in that area. ???

You should go to a Pens game and watch Crosby.

Saw this quote about Crosby while watching the Caps-Sens game the other night, made me laugh out loud:

"(Ovechkin) doesn't get frustrated if he gets hit, either," says Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson. "He gets up and keeps playing. Not like the other rookie (Crosby), who starts crying. I think there's a big difference in the attitude."

You should go to a Pens game and watch Crosby.

Saw this quote about Crosby while watching the Caps-Sens game the other night, made me laugh out loud:

Crosby needs to work on his D play for sure. Does Ovechkin ever hold his hand to his ear anymore now that he is the NHL. We all know who in the WCHA chose to copy his classy move ???

Crosby needs to work on his D play for sure. Does Ovechkin ever hold his hand to his ear anymore now that he is the NHL. We all know who in the WCHA chose to copy his classy move ???

And we all know who in the WCHA isn't in Ovechkin's league, even though he ripped off his "classy" move.

I didn't mean to bring up the quote to talk about Ovechkin except that it was the context for the Crosby "the cherry-picker" quote, though I guess it's impossible to mention one without comparing to the other (especially when I have the Caps logo next to my post).

Ovechkin is definitely a showboater, and needs to become more of a team player if he wants to stay the better player as they both mature, but a showboater is currently far more fun to pay $50 to watch on a near-bottom team than a cherry-picker...

But remember, Oshie, Ovechkin, and Crosby are nothing compared to Phil Kessel. Ask any Gopher fan.

Oshie is the ROY in my opinion. He's the hardest working player on the ice on both ends every shift. He's not a one dimensional roll player. He makes plays, performs well in transition, good defensively and makes/takes big hits. But Mr. Media will probably win simply because all they'll look at is points.

More proof that the Skippies are obsessed and nervous about the performance of Oshie. ;)

why would the skippies be nervous????? There is no doubt that Oshie is awesome, but the numbers are what really do matter!!!!! and 1 on 1 Kessel would beat Oshie hands down!!!!!

why would the skippies be nervous????? There is no doubt that Oshie is awesome, but the numbers are what really do matter!!!!! and 1 on 1 Kessel would beat Oshie hands down!!!!!

Not even close, by the way do you remember who stood and watched Oshie walk in and put one on briggs when they were here ? You don't have a clue. I see that you have bought into phil being "the best U.S. born hockey player ever", as he didn't have enough hype that he will never live up to in the first place. Nice try. Another thing in case you didn't know it, hockey is a team sport, funny when you guys talk about phil it always has some kind of "individual" type of tone to it.

1 on 1 oshie would knock kessel on his F&#^ng ASS, take the puck away, go down and break Briggs' ankles, score a highlight reel goal, get a congrats from coach and sit back down with his right hand on the dasher awaiting his next shift. (as opposed to the skate around the rink ear cup cockoff memememe showboat)

cmon hextall, not even close, props to kessel on rookie of the year, numbers are numbers, but player v player......

1 on 1 oshie would knock kessel on his F&#^ng ASS, take the puck away, go down and break Briggs' ankles, score a highlight reel goal, get a congrats from coach and sit back down with his right hand on the dasher awaiting his next shift. (as opposed to the skate around the rink ear cup cockoff memememe showboat)

cmon hextall, not even close, props to kessel on rookie of the year, numbers are numbers, but player v player......

Why do Sioux fans hate Kessel? And why do you guys talk like he isn't very good? He's a helluva player and everyone seems to realize it but you guys. He will win ROY and not because of the hype, not because of who he plays for, but because he is the best freshman in the country, let alone the WCHA.

Go over to GPL and see if you can find people bashing Oshie non-stop like Kessel is here. You won't find anything. You Sioux fans not only sound petty, pathetic, and jealous, but you also sound like you know nothing about hockey when you say the things you do about a player of Kessel's calibur.

He's a gauranteed top three pick in the NHL draft and let's not forget that he's a year younger than Oshie. I just don't see why Sioux fans feel the need to put down Kessel while complimenting Oshie. Every one of you knows that you would LOVE to have Kessel on your team.