SiouxSports.com Forum

Student President on KNOX

Fetch

Saying they want the two upper sections on both sides of the Bar (organ bar) on the Sioux end that they shoot twice

I have 4 seats in that corner (306) & do not want to move to center Ice :huh:;)

Go to the other end ;)

I'm sure as long as they don't want my seats Who Cares :D

Saying they want the two upper sections on both sides of the Bar (organ bar) on the Sioux end that they shoot twice

Go to the other end ;)

So is that sections 303 and 306 or is it sections 302A,303,306 and 306A?

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to the other end ;)

I am in 306 also and don't want to move anywhere else. We chose those seats because that is the view we wanted. We got lucky and got what we think are great seats.

And this is the problem that Buning now faces. Move the students to the side we shoot twice in and piss off the season ticket holders there, move the students to the side we shoot once and piss off both the students and the season ticket holders who sit there, or leave them where they are and piss off the season ticket holders that sit in the sections adjacent to the current student section and the suite holders that sit behind the students.

There are two things evident here:

1. THANK PARISE I'm not Buning.

2. Everyone thinks the students need to be under control but putting them in a place that could provide said control is good only if it "isn't where I sit currently."

So, the question is: What in Parise's name do you think Buning should do? He's SCREWED!

By the way- If Buning knew the full extent of this issue before he accepted the job, do you think he'd've still accepted this position?

I was unaware that standing in the upper bowl was a problem. Every game I am up there the students stand the entire game, and it seems that the seats are at a big enough angle and the ice is far enough down that the sections to either side can still see the whole game. If that wasnt the case I would gather that the sit down police would be up there, and they are not.

I just hate the fact that moving the students is considered "rewarding bad behavior". Every stinkin time I hear that I cringe.

We wanted those seats at center ice. They are great!! Apparently they "have" to move us, and I guess I'm ok with that if it means less people will complain.

I just figure, how can it be a "reward" if there is a compromise? We, as students, have to give certain things up to get different seats. No, I'm not talking about swearing, I am "surprisingly" against group profanity. I think the student section will shrink a little. I don't have the numbers, but many say that we don't fill them up consistently (true) and we don't pay a whole lot. It makes sense to shrink the number by a little. Plus, we still won't be able to stand the whole game. No matter where we are moved to, unless it is to an entire half of the upper bowl, we'll be blocking someone's view. I think the standing system is getting better. Once the people who were used to certain things from the "old" ralph are graduated, new kids can come in as blank slates.

If a meeting is held at the BEGINNING of the season for ALL student ticket holders (as a condition of having them) certain things can be laid out. I've said before that having a meeting halfway through a season is not going to change a whole lot. Plus, it just can't work to have a "mandatory" meeting halfway through the season, during the week (possibly during class, as in my case) with under a week's notice. You have to get to them (students) right away.

What they do need to address (they being the student gov't) is distribution. That could fix a lot of problems, but as we have all seen isn't easy to do. Why don't we resurrect that discussion too? :huh:;)

So the students are the only ones who are ever supposed to compromise?

I don't see where any compromise is needed on the swearing issue. Chanting profanity shouldn't be acceptable in a public place. Standing is a separate issue. As a matter of courtesy, I believe that the students should sit during the parts of the game that aren't exciting and should be able to stand when it is exciting or when extra energy is needed. Examples might be odd man rushes that look promising, parts of a power play, big hits, great saves, or maybe the last few minutes of a close game. Most hockey fans seem to know when these times come up in a game. This is a compromise that probably doesn't satisfy anyone completely, which means it probably makes sense.

Fetch

post Jan 26 2006, 11:24 AM

Post #12

Group: Members

Member No.: 932

& the 1000 or so folks that have had those seats (on the end where the Sioux are on offense twice) are just suppose to give them up & take center ice seats rolleyes.gif - Many have had those seats for generations &

once your used to seeing the game from a certain angle & location in the rink - No other seat is as good

(Hate to tell ya center ice seats are not like being on the 50 yard line at a football game)

I even go to my area for HS Games - Many ask why with all the open seats - I don't even like the lower bowl mad.gif seats - (They are smaller you know) ( & I sure as HELL Don't want center Ice in the Upper Bowl

I still say again ! Take out the Bar on that end & construct a Standing Bleacher section - Both Bars are way over rated & too expensive & a waste of space

& put a Lienies Kiosk that sells Creamy Dark on that end in the upper level wub.gif

Or reconstruct the the area they are in now & take out the 3 or 4 private boxes & make that area more regular seating - Sure it will cost the Ralph some Bucks - But it would affect a lot less people - I wonder how many more seats it would add to convert that space to regular seating ? - Maybe then convert the Bars to private boxes ?

---------------------

Give all the upper bowl seats on there same side (Center Ice) Obviously no one complains that they stand up

there

Better to upset a few thousand people than 50 or so in the boxes :huh:

Better Yet SIT DOWN & WATCH THE GAME

Fetch

post Jan 26 2006, 11:24 AM

Post #12

Group: Members

Member No.: 932

& the 1000 or so folks that have had those seats (on the end where the Sioux are on offense twice) are just suppose to give them up & take center ice seats rolleyes.gif - Many have had those seats for generations &

once your used to seeing the game from a certain angle & location in the rink - No other seat is as good

(Hate to tell ya center ice seats are not like being on the 50 yard line at a football game)

I even go to my area for HS Games - Many ask why with all the open seats - I don't even like the lower bowl mad.gif seats - (They are smaller you know) ( & I sure as HELL Don't want center Ice in the Upper Bowl

I still say again ! Take out the Bar on that end & construct a Standing Bleacher section - Both Bars are way over rated & too expensive & a waste of space

& put a Lienies Kiosk that sells Creamy Dark on that end in the upper level wub.gif

Or reconstruct the the area they are in now & take out the 3 or 4 private boxes & make that area more regular seating - Sure it will cost the Ralph some Bucks - But it would affect a lot less people - I wonder how many more seats it would add to convert that space to regular seating ? - Maybe then convert the Bars to private boxes ?

---------------------

Give all the upper bowl seats on there same side (Center Ice) Obviously no one complains that they stand up

there

Better to upset a few thousand people than 50 or so in the boxes ;)

Better Yet SIT DOWN & WATCH THE GAME

Thanks for providing a positive, productive contribution to this discussion. ;):huh:

I don't know what you mean by "won't be here all that long". I have been a Sioux fan all my (ok, yes only 22 years) life, and plan on continuing until I'm old and grey.

If both sides can be mature about it, I am totally game for a discussion. ;) I just don't like it when I hear:

"If you don't like people standing/swearing, you should get out. It's a hockey game, not church. Kids have no place at a hockey game"

or

"Students are dumb kids who are just going to leave after college. You shouldn't reward their bad behavior. Sit down and cheer when appropriate, or don't come at all!"

I don't mean to be harsh, but seriously do either of those look rational to anyone?? :huh:

I thinkmost of the students that are complaining about the new (old) rules of behavior - are some of the drunken Crazy / Party atmosphere Rebels - The real Hockey fan Students understand & want to comply

Geez Fetch way to act mature. You say that the students are immature...well look at the way your acting. "This is my seat and I'm not giving." Grow up and act your age. Those seats in the Ralph aren't yours, (ie your name is not engraved in the seat), you mearly pay for them. And to my understanding the REA has been looking for the last 2 years at reseating and the public has been acting the way you are and thats not fair. But I guess it all comes down to money and the REA likes that. So all in all ACT YOUR AGE NOT YOUR SHOE SIZE AND GROW UP!!! :huh:;);)

I was unaware that standing in the upper bowl was a problem. Every game I am up there the students stand the entire game, and it seems that the seats are at a big enough angle and the ice is far enough down that the sections to either side can still see the whole game. If that wasnt the case I would gather that the sit down police would be up there, and they are not.

I have seats in 306A for some games. When the students stand it blocks my view from the far left (my left) faceoff dot to the boards. Can be worse depending on how many are standing. I personally have no problem with standing and in fact would prefer it sometimes. HOWEVER, if I stand to see then I start blocking other people from seeing even more of the ice surface. I suspect some in 306A have much worse views depending on their exact location. Do I deserve to not be able to see part of the game ? Should I just stand and then block others from seeing ? Some people just physically can't stand for long or at all, others such as smaller children still can't see even if they stand. This past w/e was not too bad after the first 10 minutes or so but some games have been bad enough that some people have complained to the ushers who then try to get the students to sit down. IMO, it comes down to forcing all people to stand or getting all students to sit down with the current seating arrangement. On Friday a lot of the students in 307 did try to sit down but since those in 308 were standing they couldn't see so they started standing up again. I try to be considerate of other people and their view of the game but I don't drive 400 miles each way to watch the game on the scoreboard. Right now the only solution I see is to have the students sit down.

If the solution is to move the students so they don't block others then I hope they also take into consideration what happens when the students don't sell out all their seats. If they make them available to the general public they better be sure to indicate that standing is allowed so anyone who purchases these seats will know what they are getting. Otherwise you will still see complaining about people standing and blocking their view.

As it has been said several times, standing should be expected WHEN APPROPRIATE. It's a hockey game, and when people get excited they tend to stand. Standing at all times isn't a reality.

I just don't think REA is willing to sell the leftover tickets for cheap JUST BECAUSE standing will happen. However, it should probably be mentioned. If the students adhere to the standing when the action warrants, there should be no need for an "obstructed view" tag.

As it has been said several times, standing should be expected WHEN APPROPRIATE. It's a hockey game, and when people get excited they tend to stand. Standing at all times isn't a reality.

I just don't think REA is willing to sell the leftover tickets for cheap JUST BECAUSE standing will happen. However, it should probably be mentioned. If the students adhere to the standing when the action warrants, there should be no need for an "obstructed view" tag.

It is entirely appropriate for people to stand during those times, just as it is not appropriate to stand for the entire game if it blocks others view. IMO, at all sporting events there is a time when standing is fundamental to the enjoyment and excitement of the game. The problem as I see it is that some want to stand all the time. So if the students sections are changed to allow this and it will be permitted, then just be sure to inform anyone purchasing unused student tickets so they know what to expect. If you purchase the ticket knowing that you might have to stand then you have no grounds to complain.

If everyone would adhere to "standing when action warrants" then we wouldn't have this discussion and there wouldn't be any reason to discuss moving the student sections. I can understand why some would want to stand the entire game and I am all for it if it can be done without impacting others.

If everyone would adhere to "standing when action warrants" then we wouldn't have this discussion and there wouldn't be any reason to discuss moving the student sections. I can understand why some would want to stand the entire game and I am all for it if it can be done without impacting others.

If other people would stop showing up at the games, they wouldn't be impacted. So they should just stop coming to the games. :p;)

As a student, I would love to stay at center ice. I realize that I am in a minority when saying this. I don't care if it means that we have to sit for the majority of the game. I would rather be required to sit than be moved. I thought this weekend went well.

Friday night I was in the upper bowl, and I believe we stood the entire game. There have been times when we have been asked to sit down, and it didn't work very well... I've witnessed the people in the very back row (with the wall behind them) argue with the ushers about sitting or standing. I understand that everyone pays a great deal of money to be there, and wants to see the games.

Saturday night I was in the lower bowl, but right on the ice. Sitting wasn't a problem for me, because I could see either way. I think that moving the students to the end would only cause more problems than it would solve. I think with having the bar right there, it would make it VERY tough to put the students in the end. Where would the upper bowl go? My family has season tickets to Packer football and I can't imagine them saying that even though we've had tickets in those exact seats forever we have to move because they are reseating it... that's not how season tickets are supposed to be.

Just some input from a student that doesn't want to move...

I'm not entirely sure how the concept of "standing" is supposed to lend itself to cheers, watching the game, etc. Most of the goofballs who "stand" are probably too drunk and/or stupid to follow the game anyway. Probably Aviation majors ...

Anyway, if you try to stand the entire game at any other venue, including NHL barns, you'll be asked to sit your ass down, or forfeit your seat.