SiouxSports.com Forum

Student President on KNOX

Fetch

I'm not entirely sure how the concept of "standing" is supposed to lend itself to cheers, watching the game, etc. Most of the goofballs who "stand" are probably too drunk and/or stupid to follow the game anyway. Probably Aviation majors ...

Anyway, if you try to stand the entire game at any other venue, including NHL barns, you'll be asked to sit your ass down, or forfeit your seat.

ahem...I take offense to that. Some people feel that standing lets them expend the energy that they have, and it makes them more apt to cheer. Some people (even non-drunk, non-pilot goofballs :p ) even LIKE standing all game for a variety of reasons, not just because they like to piss people off. Just because you don't want to stand, doesn't mean you should disrespect those who do so when appropriate. Like I said before, it should be expected that people will stand when the game is tense and exciting. Those who do it the entire game should be asked to sit down.

I would love to stand the whole game, but understand why I cannot. Plus, don't generalize, just because REA wasn't designed for those who want to stand doen't mean that every other arena in the country wasn't either.

Different strokes for different folks.

Saying they want the two upper sections on both sides of the Bar (organ bar) on the Sioux end that they shoot twice

I'm thinking having the student sections surround the bar won't pass the "is this a good idea?" test. (The majority of students are minors. Is that the right message?)

Problem: Students standing throughout game, blocking view of other ticket holders.

Solution: Continue to enforce current "stand at exciting/appropriate moments." Have a meeting at the beginning of the season each year for student season ticket holders. Explain the rules, and (this is important) tell them why these rules are in place. Have Hakstol, Buning, and (maybe) the team captains present at the meeting to give their input and answer questions. I think this is a solvable problem. When the student fans in the very front (the ones who stand outside for hours on gameday to make sure they get those seats) know when it is appropraite to stand, and when to sit, the rest of the students will probably follow suit.

Problem: Students chanting profanity

Solution: Address problem at the beginning of the season at same meeting. I have been in the middle of a group of students during a game when the chanting starts, and when asked why I'm not "cheering" I politely say that I learned words longer than four words back in 2nd grade.

Problem: Moving students will force season ticket holders to move to different sections and give up their preferred seats.

Solution: Don't move the student section. Some think that moving the students will allow them to stand at all times, which they "obviously" want to do anyway, and if they stick us on the ends we'll like it better and so will everyone else. I think that students will warm up to the "stand at appropriate times" rule. We like center ice. We like to be by the penalty box. We like to have the band in the middle of the arena. Other people like where they sit. I don't know the name of the Guy-With-Long-Hair-And-Green-Sioux-Jersey, but I know he always sits behind the opposing goalie, and It would be weird to be sitting in "his" seat.

Problem: Students not buying all the student tickets

Solution: Play Minnesota every weekend :p Seriously though, I don't know why a student wouldn't want to come. I've been coming to games since I was a little kid, and attend every weekend I am able. It's $6 for crying out loud!

I agree with most of engelbunny's previous post on the subject. (can't remember what topic that was in, but some really good ideas) This is my opinion on a few things that can be done to improve the current "situation." This may not be your opinion. Alternative solutions are welcome!