SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS MSU

AZSIOUX

Mav player runs Jones. Kaip goes after the guy. Everyone tied up with someone. Prpich's tied up with Berge someone. TH says Mike is waiting to see if the officials are looking before throwing any.

Kaip, Prpich and Smaby in the box with 3 Mavs go, one for running Jones.

Good, wholesome, family entertainment. Make for a good rematch Saturday night ???

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, way to go SIOUX!!!!!!!!

They proved me wrong.

Now Radke tied up with a Mav. Finley and Cummings going. Kozek and McElvie....things on the edge of losing control, then apparently it dies down and the teams retire. If it's a game tomorrow like tonite, this could get ugly.

I remember the Coaches show when Hak said he's heard from the players that the Mav's could bring a dirty game. Maybe we know what they were referring to. Regardless, the Mavs apparently played hard-nosed hockey to the end.

Looks like our boys put something together from last weekend. I hope they can remember this recipe for tomorrow. Would be nice if Sconnie could bounce back. They only gave up 1 goal tonite, so that might give their goalie and their team some confidence.

Love to hear about the spread of goals through the Sioux offense.

they just showed the most killer mullet ever!! i have seen this guy before at games. he sits behind the goal...hell of a mullet..wow ???

Big blond haired guy? If so I think that's the guy my friends and I have nicknamed "Fan of the Game". He always gets screen time at the Final Five.

Lee was not on the ice much tonight. And both he and Chorney spent much of the third period on the bench. Must be resting legs after the WJC. Oshie, on the other hand, spent most of the game on the ice, and didn't look like there is any WJC hangover left on him.

Sioux got sloppy with the 6-1 lead, a little too laid back. Maybe all the Mav chippiness got them fired up to start the game tomorrow night.

TH with Oshie:

Oshie says they were ready from the get go tonite, really wanted to play well all weekend.

For the most part a complete game, but about 10 minutes in the 3rd.

Says he's feeling a lot better physically and mentally, especially mentally. Feels he's back now.

Says that he almost peeled away after passing the puck to Duncan because he didn't think there was any way Duncan could pass it back to him, but he did, right on the tape.

Hak on: Says they gave up a couple of sloppy goals, but overall played well, and liked that some guys stood up for their teammates.

Mankato had some early PP momentum. After their 2nd and 3rd PP they talked about cleaning up the PK which they did and pretty much shut them down the rest of the night.

Young guys did a pretty good job tonite but the leaders, the big guns, really came through and led the way.

Said Kaip had a tough night with some D zone face-offs and other things that didn't go right but overall that line did a good job tonite.

Phil was a BIG part of a 6-1 lead, made some big PP saves that could have really changed the game. Too bad the other 2 goals had to go in to take away from the end result.

Oshie was tenacious on the puck to outmuscle the bigger, older D to score his second goal. Attribute that makes him a special player.

Sprig- I noticed Chorney quite a bit out there tonight, even in the third.

Anyways, here's my thoughts on a chippy game with an ugly ending.

First Line: Oshie-Zajac-Spirko (I think) Oshie was flying out there tonight. He really worked hard and made some unbelievable shots that would have made Sportscenter if they had gone in. Doesn't matter though as he gets at least 2 points on the night (don't recall if he got any assists). Zajac played hard and was effective on the PK. Spirko.. Whoa can this guy stick handle. Too bad he was on the perimeter where it could do only minimal damage. He did get an assist or two in there.

Second Line: Porter-Toews-Stafford (I think). Toews had a HUGE pass to Stafford that was simply awesome. Stafford: WOW. Congrats on your 100 points as a Sioux, scored on a goal no less. Porter: I can't think of a better game he's played this year. He was buzzing like I saw him buzz his freshman year. He scored and he nearly scored. Good job Porter!

Third Line: Fabian-Kaip-Prpich: Fabian had a really good game. Scoring, throwing his weight around, doing some good defensive work. Kaip... Ugh. Apart from standing up for Jones, I think his game play was forgetable AGAIN. Don't think he'll play tommorrow. (God that makes me sad. I thought so highly of him last year). Prpich: Yapping all game long. He earned every second of that 4 min + 10 at the end of the game. I thought it was a little gratuitous.

Fourth Line: Watkins-Duncan-Kozek. Pretty invisible. Duncan and Watkins made noise on special teams.

Powerplay: I thought the first period was a strong C in grade. Second Period we moved up to about a B and the third period a resounding F. You NEVER call yourself a quality powerplay unit if you give up a shortie.. And they did it in style by giving it up via breakaway. Good work. ???

PK: Other than the first period PP goal, it was pretty solid.

Third Period: We played good ALL GAME LONG and then we took a break after Fabian scored. Phil looked pretty unimpressive (especially MSUM's 2nd Goal. How does he beat you 5 hole?). Phil still played good, don't get me wrong, but it really was ugly in the third period. Kaminski (MSUM)'s flying cross body tackle was picture perfect... if you are in the WWE and McElvie's spear at the end of the game was really poor sports. I do admit, both sides were being pretty cheap. I only thought Kaminski's attempt to injure was worthy of perhaps him sitting tommorrow. You don't leave the ice to check someone. EVER. That's illegal in EVERY level of hockey.

Officiating: Is this the same Zelkin we saw vs. UW? I don't think so. He got several calls correct that were VERY difficult to make. Both sides got away with stuff and, generally, I think it was pretty well officiated.

Tormey got left hung out to dry, but even so, he's not as great as Mav fans make him out to be. Chris Clark with the start tommorrow? Or will they go with Tormey?

EDIT: Forgot the defensive side of things:

Smaby and Jones looked VERY VERY VERY solid. ESPECIALLY Jones. My goodness he looks different than when I first saw him play. Much more solid. More responsible. I hope that hit by Kaminski didn't do any damage.

I liked the emotion from Radke and Finley tonight. Nice to see them step up.

Lee's shot on the PP is good, but still VERY slow. He needs to develop the shot more to make it quicker. Chorney needs to stop broadcasting his shots like Radke. However, unlike Radke's broadcast shots, Chorney's end up flying over the heads of everyone.

They interviewed Robbie Bina during first intermission. That kid is really neat to listen to.

Tormey got left hung out to dry, but even so, he's not as great as Mav fans make him out to be. Chris Clark with the start tommorrow? Or will they go with Tormey?

Maverick Coach, Troy Jutting, did say that Torney would be tested tonight, in his pre-game interview, so it sounds like he knew his stats were the results of playing "softer" teams.

I know it's always fun when we win but dam#, I had a great time tonight. The guys were aggressive, used their bodies to the max, didn't take any cra%, the upper classmen showed their talent and the youngsters were outstanding! OK there was that one goal where Phil was left hung out to dry but overall it was still a great game. The fights were entertaining as well. I was happy to see that Finley is finally done with his 'hesitation' style of play. The kid is turning into a force to be reckoned with.

???

Third Line: Fabian-Kaip-Prpich: Fabian had a really good game. Scoring, throwing his weight around, doing some good defensive work. Kaip... Ugh. Apart from standing up for Jones, I think his game play was forgetable AGAIN. Don't think he'll play tommorrow. (God that makes me sad. I thought so highly of him last year). Prpich: Yapping all game long. He earned every second of that 4 min + 10 at the end of the game. I thought it was a little gratuitous.

AD Buning a heck of a guy...doing push-ups because the Sioux won. He seems like a class act, regardless of what current students think.

I'm a current student and I really like Buning. I just think that he was put in a bad position. He inherited some really tough problems when he was hired. The student section was alright tonight. Behavior wise they were fine... Buning actually came by and thanked us. Lower bowl sat when they were supposed to sit, there was little swearing and no cheers with the f word. However, I did notice a few times when I turned to the person next to me and said "this place is deathly quiet" and when we scored someone would comment "wow... there are other people in here... and they're alive... they moved!"

About the game... I am definatly impressed by Oshie and Jones as freshman. Stafford had a heck of a night too! The game was very entertaining... to say the least. I like Jones' emotion... but when he gets started, there isn't an off switch... it'll be interesting tomorrow. That kid must have said something that seriously pissed him off because they were fine when the ref had the two of them... but then all of a sudden you could see Jones trying to break free from the ref and go after him... Jones definatly said something to him on the way to the box, which the students loved. I did notice that when Jones went to the lockerroom Parise followed him... Finley appears to be getting more physical... Zelkin still sucks as a ref... SO many missed calls. Overall a good night, let's keep it up tomorrow!

--------

I know Kaip had a few penalties too, but I guess I would kind of be surprised if Hak would change the lineup after such a good working effort tonight. Don't know if anyone got booted at the end of the game though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Parise in net to get him some action. With Kaip struggling offensively and taking penalties I wouldn't mind seeing Brad Miller, but I really don't expect it tomorrow. I have really liked the little I have seen of Brad Miller and he looks like he is better with the puck and faster than Kaip. That said, maybe the reason he isn't playing is because Hak wants that defensive line that the Sioux have seemed to rely on to shut down the other team's top unit. Kaip seems to fit that mold. Other than that, I wouldn't mind seeing Brad Miller. On the other hand, if it takes a loss to make lineup changes, I wouldn't mind seeing Kaip in there the rest of the year. I guess we'll see what the lineup looks like tomorrow, maybe Hak will surprise me.

I like what Kaip brings defensively to the rink. Only he wasn't recruited just for his defense. He was recruited because he displayed an offensive upside in juniors (much like Prpich did) and we haven't seen him be effective at ALL in the offensive zone. And, even if he didn't score a lot of goals, the penalties are KILLING his chances at being an every day player. If he were smarten up, I think Kaip would be an automatic 1 for 1 replacement of Prpich. But he's out of control right now and it's hurting the team. Remember, MSUM's first goal of the game came from a Kaip penalty. Maybe I'm too harsh on him. Maybe we all are, being that he's even more of a second year freshman than Radke is, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he could be at least more disciplined.

As for Brad Miller, he IS faster than Kaip. I doubt anyone thinks otherwise. The thing that I believe that is keeping Miller out of the lineup isn't his playing ability. I noticed Miller is very easy to get off the puck. And that doesn't lend itself well to a checking line role. Right now, I get the feeling Hak wants to keep the 1st, 2nd, and 4th lines together as scoring lines but Hak can't find the third player in that checking line to make it all work. Kaip fits the mold on paper, but his play is just nerve wracking.

Your guys played like a team with five NHL first-round draft choices tonight, but you didn't really see Tormey in a fair light. You can't expect any goalie to face the kind of defensive breakdowns that MSU had tonight. Either the defense handed the puck over for a breakaway, or they fired a clearing pass to a Sioux player who was all alone in front. All credit to your guys for burying the quality chances when they were there. MSU could easily find themselves in 9th place after Saturday night's game if they don't step it up.

I'm a current student and I really like Buning. I just think that he was put in a bad position. He inherited some really tough problems when he was hired. The student section was alright tonight. Behavior wise they were fine... Buning actually came by and thanked us. Lower bowl sat when they were supposed to sit, there was little swearing and no cheers with the f word. However, I did notice a few times when I turned to the person next to me and said "this place is deathly quiet" and when we scored someone would comment "wow... there are other people in here... and they're alive... they moved!"

Buning is a GREAT guy. We all know the problems he came into this job with, and there's no question he knew what he was going to be getting himself into when he took the job.

He easily could have taken this job and just rolled through it and not given all the effort he has. He really is working very hard to do all he can to please everybody. He's trying to make this university a better place, which is what we need from all administration.

Every time I talk to him he is always thankful and always willing to chat for a minute. I honestly don't think we could have found a better man for the job.

I like what Kaip brings defensively to the rink. Only he wasn't recruited just for his defense. He was recruited because he displayed an offensive upside in juniors (much like Prpich did) and we haven't seen him be effective at ALL in the offensive zone. And, even if he didn't score a lot of goals, the penalties are KILLING his chances at being an every day player. If he were smarten up, I think Kaip would be an automatic 1 for 1 replacement of Prpich. But he's out of control right now and it's hurting the team. Remember, MSUM's first goal of the game came from a Kaip penalty. Maybe I'm too harsh on him. Maybe we all are, being that he's even more of a second year freshman than Radke is, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he could be at least more disciplined.

As for Brad Miller, he IS faster than Kaip. I doubt anyone thinks otherwise. The thing that I believe that is keeping Miller out of the lineup isn't his playing ability. I noticed Miller is very easy to get off the puck. And that doesn't lend itself well to a checking line role. Right now, I get the feeling Hak wants to keep the 1st, 2nd, and 4th lines together as scoring lines but Hak can't find the third player in that checking line to make it all work. Kaip fits the mold on paper, but his play is just nerve wracking.

I really had to be down on Kaip at all given what he has been through, but I really do like what I have seen of Miller, though they are completely different players. I think to play Miller, Porter (who is a good 2 way forward) would likely go to the checking line, giving it more offensive punch, while Miller would take Duncan's, and Duncan would move to one of the top 2 lines.

Miller, looks fast and skilled and his coach at GB thought he was a better scorer than Blake Wheeler. He really showed some potential aginast SCCC this year. Also remember he is still recovering from a very serious injury and is probably much better that we have seen.

I also fear that Kaip is developing a reputation, which unfortunately matters greatly in the WCHA. I am a vocal critic of some WCHA refs, and feel that Shepard and Adam should be fired. However, the think that the other WCHA refs are pretty good overall, though like players; sometimes good ones have bad games. Everytime I have seen Zelkin, he has done a decent job. Despite the fact that I didn't see the game I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. Keep this in mind for those of you that didn't like Zelkin, would you rather see Adam more? Also the WCHA has some very bad linesmen, they can make the refs look bad.

Finally I went to the wild game last night. Wow, are NHL officials ever better!!! I do wish that the WCHA would go 2 refs like the NHL. This leads to less stick violations, which hurt skilled teams, and also less bad calls seen outof the corner of the eye. I think that the Sioux tend to get alot of calls against them where an opposing player gets crushed, and the ref assumes something illegal must have happened (a few of Prpich's / Smaby's hits come to mind).