SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS MSU

AZSIOUX

Finally I went to the wild game last night. Wow, are NHL officials ever better!!! I do wish that the WCHA would go 2 refs like the NHL. This leads to less stick violations, which hurt skilled teams, and also less bad calls seen outof the corner of the eye.

Lets get two clowns out on the ice calling penalties, we would never see 5 on 5.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sprig- I noticed Chorney quite a bit out there tonight, even in the third.

Anyways, here's my thoughts on a chippy game with an ugly ending.

First Line: Oshie-Zajac-Spirko (I think) Oshie was flying out there tonight. He really worked hard and made some unbelievable shots that would have made Sportscenter if they had gone in. Doesn't matter though as he gets at least 2 points on the night (don't recall if he got any assists). Zajac played hard and was effective on the PK. Spirko.. Whoa can this guy stick handle. Too bad he was on the perimeter where it could do only minimal damage. He did get an assist or two in there.

Second Line: Porter-Toews-Stafford (I think). Toews had a HUGE pass to Stafford that was simply awesome. Stafford: WOW. Congrats on your 100 points as a Sioux, scored on a goal no less. Porter: I can't think of a better game he's played this year. He was buzzing like I saw him buzz his freshman year. He scored and he nearly scored. Good job Porter!

Third Line: Fabian-Kaip-Prpich: Fabian had a really good game. Scoring, throwing his weight around, doing some good defensive work. Kaip... Ugh. Apart from standing up for Jones, I think his game play was forgetable AGAIN. Don't think he'll play tommorrow. (God that makes me sad. I thought so highly of him last year). Prpich: Yapping all game long. He earned every second of that 4 min + 10 at the end of the game. I thought it was a little gratuitous.

Fourth Line: Watkins-Duncan-Kozek. Pretty invisible. Duncan and Watkins made noise on special teams.

Powerplay: I thought the first period was a strong C in grade. Second Period we moved up to about a B and the third period a resounding F. You NEVER call yourself a quality powerplay unit if you give up a shortie.. And they did it in style by giving it up via breakaway. Good work. ???

PK: Other than the first period PP goal, it was pretty solid.

Third Period: We played good ALL GAME LONG and then we took a break after Fabian scored. Phil looked pretty unimpressive (especially MSUM's 2nd Goal. How does he beat you 5 hole?). Phil still played good, don't get me wrong, but it really was ugly in the third period. Kaminski (MSUM)'s flying cross body tackle was picture perfect... if you are in the WWE and McElvie's spear at the end of the game was really poor sports. I do admit, both sides were being pretty cheap. I only thought Kaminski's attempt to injure was worthy of perhaps him sitting tommorrow. You don't leave the ice to check someone. EVER. That's illegal in EVERY level of hockey.

Officiating: Is this the same Zelkin we saw vs. UW? I don't think so. He got several calls correct that were VERY difficult to make. Both sides got away with stuff and, generally, I think it was pretty well officiated.

Tormey got left hung out to dry, but even so, he's not as great as Mav fans make him out to be. Chris Clark with the start tommorrow? Or will they go with Tormey?

EDIT: Forgot the defensive side of things:

Smaby and Jones looked VERY VERY VERY solid. ESPECIALLY Jones. My goodness he looks different than when I first saw him play. Much more solid. More responsible. I hope that hit by Kaminski didn't do any damage.

I liked the emotion from Radke and Finley tonight. Nice to see them step up.

Lee's shot on the PP is good, but still VERY slow. He needs to develop the shot more to make it quicker. Chorney needs to stop broadcasting his shots like Radke. However, unlike Radke's broadcast shots, Chorney's end up flying over the heads of everyone.

They interviewed Robbie Bina during first intermission. That kid is really neat to listen to.

Good post, but you missed on one. Taylor Chorney was the best defenseman on the ice for the Sioux (yes, even better than Smaby). He had the long, breakout pass to Toews that led to Stafford's second goal. He also constantly covered for Brian Lee, who had an average to below average night. He made good decisions and never got beat. I have been critical of him for not playing physical, but he looked great last night. Watkins and Kozek, although they did not score, played very well. Watkins drew a great penalty, and they gave up nothing defensively. Kaip was horrible. He got walked on several faceoffs that lead to great scoring chances, contributed nothing offensively, and took two stupid penalties, one of which led to a goal. I would rather see anyone--Marvin, Miller. He's just not getting it done and is holding back Fabian and Prpich who played very well. Drew Stafford should also get credit, not just for scoring goals, but playing very, very well. He gets criticized for his inconsistent play, but he came out on fire last night, moving his feet and creating opportunities. When Drew plays like that, he is one of the elite players in the league. Overall, a good effort, but Kaip is not getting it done. Finley is getting better, but still makes me nervous. Radke also got beat a few too many times and got bailed out by Phil Lamoreaux.

Your guys played like a team with five NHL first-round draft choices tonight, but you didn't really see Tormey in a fair light. You can't expect any goalie to face the kind of defensive breakdowns that MSU had tonight. Either the defense handed the puck over for a breakaway, or they fired a clearing pass to a Sioux player who was all alone in front. All credit to your guys for burying the quality chances when they were there. MSU could easily find themselves in 9th place after Saturday night's game if they don't step it up.

I don't think you'll find anyone here critical of Tormey's play. The problem for Mankato was not the goalie.

Still, I would not be all that self-critical of the defensive breakdowns. Most of the UND faithful would say the Sioux played well last night. When UND is on, they can be one of the nations best.

I hadn't seen the Sioux in person for a while, so had some new impressions.

As noted above, the play of Chorney and Jones last night was very strong. (Note to Jones - stay in the lineup please, even if it means not retaliating to a cheap shot from the opposition. Think of the cheap shot as recognition they want you to take yourself out of the game.)

I agree that Lee had an off night. Radke was brutal at times (he was the only Sioux player to finish minus on the night, at -2); got walked a couple times (and not by Backes or one of the MSU studs). The guy can definitely play the game ... maybe a switch to forward?

Stafford and Oshie got the goals, but I thought the play of their linemates, in particular Porter and Zajac, was key. Porter was making plays, and showed the combination of size and speed that make him formidable when he's on his game. Zajac won a million faceoffs.

The line with Prpich, Kaip and Fabian was effective, except that none of the 3 have been winning faceoffs consistently, which in turn limits the situations they can be used ... don't be surprised to see a strong faceoff guy move into there somewhere.

Sparky and Duncan throwing the body around last night! Gotta love it. THAT is Sioux hockey at its best. Not that they actually hurt the opponent, but it means the lineup top to bottom is in the game.

Lamoureaux hung himself out to dry at least twice, by flinging the puck away from his D and to Mavs. Also got caught in traffic behind the net. Just stop the puck and let the D play it. This is a "coachable moment" in the vernacular.

In summary, I was pleased to see us bring a strong effort. We made some mistakes, and benefitted from MSU's, so we better not start thinking we're a lot better than they are. We aren't. Will need 60 minutes tonight to get the sweep, and keep moving toward a second-place finish in the WCHA.

I don't think you'll find anyone here critical of Tormey's play. The problem for Mankato was not the goalie.

Still, I would not be all that self-critical of the defensive breakdowns. Most of the UND faithful would say the Sioux played well last night. When UND is on, they can't be one of the nations best.

The Sioux created a lot of those breaks with tenacious forechecking, something we haven't seen a lot of at home. Like Jutting, I wouldn't blame Tormey for the loss, but the Sioux themselves had a lot to do with the turnovers. It wasn't only the poor play of Mankato.

Her? ---> 1460.jpg

Oh. My.

I've seen that face before...last March...Columbus...the Platinum Fox...ah, yes...it's all coming back to me now.

In all seriousness, I didn't see any highlights of the game, but it does sound like the Sioux played well. Let's hope that that continues tonite and UND gets an important sweep to put a nice gap between 5th and 6th place.