SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota State Visits the Ralph

SiouxHockey1410

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux need to prepare hard all week, as Mankato always plays us tough. I'm sure this coming weekend will be no different. The boys need to figure out how to play like they did Saturday, both nights of the weekend. Once they do that, we'll have ourselves one HECK of a hockey team!

Mankato beat UNO 5-2 a couple weeks ago and handled Alaska (in Mankato at least) this past weekend rather handily. I think we all remember AA didn't roll over for our Sioux, so I think Mankato deserves more respect than I gave them several weeks ago when they appeared to be a patsy. That seems to be changing.

After losing their first 7 games to the like of Alberta, Bemidji, Minnesota and Colorado College, Mankato is 9-5-4.

AA = 3-0-1

UNO = 2-0-0

Alabama Huntsville = 1-0-0

Denver = 1-0-1

Yale = 0-0-1

Notre Dame = 1-1-0

MI Tech = 1-1-0

Duluth = 0-1-1

WI = 0-2-0

The Sioux are 8-6-4 with Mankato since 2000-01 season.

At Mankato = 5-3-2

At Home = 3-3-2

The Sioux have not swept Mankato at home in that time. They have been swept AT HOME by Mankato. The Sioux did sweep Mankato on the road once, and were swept on the road by Mankato once.

It's gonna come down to what Fabian said. They will have to play for the name on the front of their jersey, not the one on the back. They will have to play as a team.

Hak said it's the second half of the season and our freshman aren't freshman anymore. No more "they're a young team" excuses. They have to start playing together consistently, not just when it's live or die.

i see the land cows with 1 big quality win this season coming vs denver and du has been slipping lately. we will sweep them this weekend and start out 2nd half roll hopefully. hope jordy is doing better but if not phil is very capable of getting 2 wins this coming weekend. mankato seems to play us tough most of the time so i dont see this being a cakewalk but i do think we will get a close win friday night by 2 goals or so and then lighting it up saturday night!!

This team needs to come out and play 120 minutes of quality, disciplined, 5x5 hockey this weekend.

No more of this "where were they Friday" crap like Anchorage and Minnesota.

There is no more time for "hole digging" and "digging back out of."

I figure this team must go 10-2 down the stretch in the league to be completely sure of WCHA home ice and making the regional (to be held in their own barn).

I say this team needs to step up and decide right now that the next loss in Engelstad Arena by this team won't come until a month that ends in "r". And they need to back it up and play that way starting right now, this shift, and every shift after.

If I remember correctly - we played the better of the two games on Fridays earlier in the season. We blamed it on the youth of our team and being fatiqued for the Saturday game. I wonder what may have changed that.

Against Harvard and Minnesota there was no fatigue for game 2 since they didn't play in game 1. Not sure about the effort against AA on Friday, they did put up 51 shots.

In the last five series they are 5-5 (1-4 in game 1, 4-1 in game 2).

The only game 1 win during this time was against Bemidji 2-1, a game they should have lost but won because of Phil. The Harvard loss was pathetic and the Minnesota loss this past Friday may be the worst game I have seen them play against a rival in a very long time.

i see the land cows with 1 big quality win this season coming vs denver and du has been slipping lately. we will sweep them this weekend and start out 2nd half roll hopefully. hope jordy is doing better but if not phil is very capable of getting 2 wins this coming weekend. mankato seems to play us tough most of the time so i dont see this being a cakewalk but i do think we will get a close win friday night by 2 goals or so and then lighting it up saturday night!!

I'm thinking split, but hoping sweep...It should be two, low-scoring games...Mankato finally found a goaltender in Tormey GAA=2.66 SV%=.911...I don't see the Sioux lighting it up, and having Mankato's penalty kill ranked #12 in the nation, will not help our PP at all...We need to play as a team, and finish our chances...Hopefully Lammy is solid if Jordan cannot play this weekend...(Lammy SHOULD be solid)

What's with calling them the land cows? I know about the logo, etc., but I don't get it. :silly:

What's with calling them the land cows? I know about the logo, etc., but I don't get it. :silly:

I don't know where the name came from, but I doubt that it is a compliment. :D

Personally, I hate it when fans of other teams refer to UND as the Sue. Therefore, I will personally not refer to our competitors as the Land Cows, Rodents, Jan Brady State, etc.

I will say this about the Mankato series. With all due respect to the Mavericks, it's time we gave someone a good old whippin' at the Ralph. We need to come out strong this weekend and keep rolling right on through to Milwaukie. That means a 60 minute effort every night from the entire lineup. I know these guys can do it. One game at a time and just keep building a head of steam right to the FF. That includes going to denver and taking two from those punks, as I believe the wheels are starting to come off down there. A split with CC would be just fine.

Perhaps it is a means of questoning the intelligence of the average MSU-Mankato student/grad.

As in:

'Kato Fan: "Why do you call us the land cows?"

Opposition Fan: "Because you aren't sea cows."

'Kato Fan: "I didn't know there were sea cows."

Opposition Fan: "That's the point."

See below link:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/mesaxonia/sirenia.html

I don't know, that's my theory. Hopefully someone has a better one.

UND needs to come out and play like Fabian did before he got kicked out of the game. Play with heart no excuses. Everyone needs to play like the want two points each game, no taking shifts off and don't let the young goalie get into a grove. Hit and hustle, and play through the ugly stuff becasue Mankato will try to slow down UND.

This is perhaps the pivotal series for the Sioux this season. They showed alot of heart and drive in their last game at Minnesota, and I hope they can build on it and take 4 pts this weekend. Strong, disciplined play will be a must from here-on-out. No more excuses about "youth", "inexperience" or "puck luck". This is the time of the year when teams playing in April take it to the next level.

Not Sioux related, but if you want to see what we need to do, turn on FSN right now and watch the Senators. They are making the Wild look like a bantam team. But they pass well, shoot and crash the net.

Dany Heatley can play.

Also, watch the Wild. There's areason they are in last place in their conference.

Not Sioux related, but if you want to see what we need to do, turn on FSN right now and watch the Senators. They are making the Wild look like a bantam team. But they pass well, shoot and crash the net.

Dany Heatley can play.

Also, watch the Wild. There's areason they are in last place in their conference.

What is happening to the Wild is basically what was coming to them, they put a second rate talent on the ice and expect them to win. Granted they have two great goalies but even great goalies can't stop everything...

Most teams try to put a competative team on the ice, the Wild haven't. The Wild are still below the cap big time and are now showing it with poor effort after poor effort on the ice night after nice. In my opinion the Wild only have basically two stars Rolston and Gaberick the rest are third and fourth line players. I hope the fans stop going to the games and force the owners to put a product on the ice that worth watching.