SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Behavior @ The Ralph

WiSioux

I find the cow bell band person hilarious AND he gets the crowd going much better than idiots who believe their intelligence will be taxed if they can't throw the EF bomb out every second.

I agree, but I'm biased. :silly:

g_fenkle.gif

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a copy of a post I made last April:

My recommendations to the students:

Give up the standing all the time crap. You cannot win on this one. It is just plain stupid. Stand when the play calls for it and sit down otherwise. To continue to whine about this is a monumental waste of everyone

To that one dude that is making ridiculous comments about the band and its members sexual preferences (which are assinine and out of line by the way)....

I've lurked on here long before I became a member to know that "flame the band is not a new thing but also there are many supporters on SS.com for the band. Woo hoo for you guys!

If I remember correctly, I believe the REA radioed to the band in the middle of a game and asked the director to tell the cowbell player to play when then the Blue Oyster Cult song was played and the cameras would zoom in on him during the song. The REA asked the cowbell dude to do it once to parody the SNL skit we all know and love and it caught on as a crowd pleaser after that. As BGAnt said, you are in the minority when it comes to criticism of this guy.

As for the band going to Madison and taking ideas from them...then you would be complaining that they are copying their band and they are not original enough...cant have it both ways.

Disclaimer: I'm speaking on my past experiences with the band and am not a current member of the band. I don't speak claiming to know how things are run now (I am only a year removed however). But in general, unless you've been in a band of any kind at any point or talked to their members, it may be hard for you to really understand how difficult it is to rotate music for the few seconds we have between whistles, the communication that is necessary and at times difficult with the REA to coordinate canned music with band music and how much those kids work their tails off to please ALL the fans. From a proud alum, Thanks to all that appreciate the band.

Not everybody is gonna like us, but at least we like ourselves. :silly:

Enough about the band. I really hope the students take the opportunity to at least listen to what the REA and other officials have to say instead of acting like 2 year olds who can't share. Hold on to the lower bowl seats like you really want them instead of dangling them like carrots, daring the REA to take them away and put you up top. Be a catalyst for positive changes. Throw around new cheer suggestions to each other, learn the school songs, make clever signs. Work together instead of picking sides. Take some of Engelbunny's and Sioux-Cia's and Taz and PCM's and other SS.com member's ideas and start to work it in. If you're afraid of what your other peers will think when you're not swearing and they are, be proud for having your own opinion and conviction and not following the sheep. Pretty soon, they'll be the only a$$ trying to start the F-bomb cheer. You're members of the adult community now, act like it.

I'm only concerned about how the problem is going to be solved and what with the student lose.

Curbing profanity and the standing issue are relatively weak compared to losing everything.

I really think that standing should be allowed in certain cases but, if I were still a student, I'd do ABSOLUTELY anything possible to keep the lower bowl seats.

I agree, but I'm biased. :huh:

More. Cowbell.

It's not nearly as entertaining if you don't know the history.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/99pcowbell.phtml

http://www.geekspeakweekly.com/cowbell/

Cowbell tunes:

http://www.geekspeakweekly.com/cowbell/data_search.pl

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!"

Cowbell tunes:

http://www.geekspeakweekly.com/cowbell/data_search.pl

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!"

Looking a little more closely at that list I say we go for an "All cowbell, all the time!" weekend of tunes, or more, at REA:

ACDC - Thunderstruck

ACDC - Hell's Bells

Aerosmith - Walk This Way

B'52s - Love Shack

Barry White - Can't Get enough of your love, Babe <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Blues Brothers Band - Gimme' Some Lovin' <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine

Charlie Daniels Band - Devil Went Down To Georgia <-- if nothin' else for Brad Miller

Cinderella - Shake Me <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Commodores - Brickhouse <-- what else would you play in REA?

Dixie Chicks - Goodbye Earl <--- for everybody's Wisconsin Badger buddy ;):huh:

Joe Cocker - Leave Your Hat On <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Kingsmen - Louie Louie <-- classic for the old folks, like PCM. ;)

Lipps, Inc. - Funky Town <-- the cowbell disco funk classic! "Won't you take me to ... "

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps <--- by request from Bochenski to Ballard ;)

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog <--- 70s metal cowbell classic!

Twisted Sister - We're Not Going to Take It <--- 80s metal cowbell classic!

Van Halen - Dance the Night Away <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

WAR - Low Rider

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music <--- for the band :)

Looking a little more closely at that list I say we go for an "All cowbell, all the time!" weekend of tunes, or more, at REA:

ACDC - Thunderstruck

ACDC - Hell's Bells

Aerosmith - Walk This Way

B'52s - Love Shack

Barry White - Can't Get enough of your love, Babe <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Blues Brothers Band - Gimme' Some Lovin' <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine

Charlie Daniels Band - Devil Went Down To Georgia <-- if nothin' else for Brad Miller

Cinderella - Shake Me <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Commodores - Brickhouse <-- what else would you play in REA?

Dixie Chicks - Goodbye Earl <--- for everybody's Wisconsin Badger buddy

Joe Cocker - Leave Your Hat On <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

Kingsmen - Louie Louie <-- classic for the old folks, like PCM. ;)

Lipps, Inc. - Funky Town <-- the cowbell disco funk classic! "Won't you take me to ... "

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps <--- by request from Bochenski to Ballard ;)

Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog <--- 70s metal cowbell classic!

Twisted Sister - We're Not Going to Take It <--- 80s metal cowbell classic!

Van Halen - Dance the Night Away <--- In case of a "Prpich/Peluso" event

WAR - Low Rider

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music <--- for the band :)

From the meeting:

1. It's not about the money.

1a. We lose $300,000 a year because of you.

1b. You pay $75 for a seat, instead of $550.

1c. Student fees make up 9% of the athletic budget.

1d. UNH has $6 million in student fees go to the athletic department.

1e. UND only has $900,000.

1f. If UND gave $6 million in student fees to the athletic department, students would get half of the lower bowl.

2. Students would rather move and stand than sit and stay in the same spots.

2a. Buning agrees.

2b. The student section is to be moved to the corners/ends.

2c. Not until next year.

3. Sit down while the puck is in play, no profanity, no drunk and disorderly conduct. NO EXCEPTIONS!

3a. Allowed to stand if "the emotion of the play brings you out of your seat."

3b. Must sit when puck drops again.

3c. Can say everything but f*** and s***.

Thanks for attending and for providing your report of the meeting.

From the meeting:

1. It's not about the money.

1a. We lose $300,000 a year because of you.

1b. You pay $75 for a seat, instead of $550.

1c. Student fees make up 9% of the athletic budget.

1d. UNH has $6 million in student fees go to the athletic department.

1e. UND only has $900,000.

1f. If UND gave $6 million in student fees to the athletic department, students would get half of the lower bowl.

2. Students would rather move and stand than sit and stay in the same spots.

2a. Buning agrees.

2b. The student section is to be moved to the corners/ends.

2c. Not until next year.

3. Sit down while the puck is in play, no profanity, no drunk and disorderly conduct. NO EXCEPTIONS!

3a. Allowed to stand if "the emotion of the play brings you out of your seat."

3b. Must sit when puck drops again.

3c. Can say everything but f*** and s***.

Regardless of the outcome of the meeting, there will still be problems. They can't eliminate students from drinking, which will always lead to misbehavior, and most likely lead to students having to leave the arena. It's funny how they hold the students to a higher stander than the other season ticket holders, but that's what $465 will do for you :huh: Number 3a will also be an issue as what seems like an event in a game that will bring me out of my seat, is probably different than a lot of people. True hockey fans tend to get excited about things that others don't necessarily see, simply because we are more in tune with the game, and we see it differently. I'm sure that the REA will also have arguments from current season ticket holders who do not want to move from their current seats, but will be forced to because of the move. It's really a no-win situation here for everyone involved. I'm sure it's not only an issue at REA, but at any sporting arena/stadium in the country.

How does UNH make that much in student fees? Do they charge students for every sport? Even then it seems like they wouldn't make a huge amount of money when compared to UND.

Wow. They give 6 mill. Isn't that like almost double our budget? I guess that's how they fund DIAA.

I think this is far better than what I anticipated.

The question is:

Do we (the students) lose any seats from what we had before? The only thing the new seating arrangement does is take the students away from the penalty boxes, but that's really the only downside to the move provided the corners they are talking about is the ones that the Sioux shoot twice a game.

Honestly, I've sait in the corner 2 rows from the glass on the side of the rink where the Sioux only shoot once and it's not that great of a seat, hence why it is important to sit where the opponent goaltender is 2 periods of the game.

Just another note from the meeting (now that my computer finally works again)... someone asked about when the regular season ticket holders (meaning non-student) would be recieving this information... it was said that they will mail it out... didn't sound to convincing to me, but we'll find out.

It was also said that this meeting was not to target the students, although it appeared to turn that way. They tried to stress that everyone in the Ralph is to be held to the same rules, although that could be an entire new thread itself.

Overall, I thought the meeting went alright. They kept refering to us as "stockholders" in a "business"... I kinda felt bad for Buning, he was trying his best to answer the questions but it wasn't going to well. The student body president was there talking to the general manager of the Ralph so Buning would look to him for help, and he wouldn't be paying attention.

There was a vote to see if students would rather move to the end and be able to stand, or stay in the current location and follow the rules (aka sit). There was no offical count, but they guessed it to be 65% to 35%. It was said that if moved, we would NOT lose any seats in the lower or upper sections. (not really sure where the upper section would be... seeing as the bar is at the end)

I would guess the attendance at the meeting was 100-150 people... any other question, just ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Any insight to which end?

Thanks for all the insight from the meeting.

One thing is for certain: Some season ticket holders are going to be pissed. Plus, the seating arrangement is going to be tricky as there are more seats in the corners and ends than there are in the current seating arrangement. How they do it will be interesting.

Any insight to which end?

Thanks for all the insight from the meeting.

One thing is for certain: Some season ticket holders are going to be pissed. Plus, the seating arrangement is going to be tricky as there are more seats in the corners and ends than there are in the current seating arrangement. How they do it will be interesting.

Not that it is any indication, but when he (Buning) was describing where we would be moved to he pointed to the end that we defend twice... where the visitor's section is currently in the upper bowl. Personally if we are going to move the student section, I would rather be at the end that we shot twice. And on a side note, I don't think moving the student section will help with the swearing at players in the penalty box because then we'll just yell at the goalie...

Also, I noticed a few people that appeared to be reporters, plus news cameras... so if you are in the GF area, check your papers/evening news.

Personally if we are going to move the student section, I would rather be at the end that we shot twice. And on a side note, I don't think moving the student section will help with the swearing at players in the penalty box because then we'll just yell at the goalie...

Also, I noticed a few people that appeared to be reporters, plus news cameras... so if you are in the GF area, check your papers/evening news.

I personally think that would be a better idea if they put the students on the end that we shoot twice too. Make it a hostile place for the visitors. I hope someone can tell them this. I think it would be a great idea.

OK, this is just getting ridiculous!! If people who claim to be mature can't figure out the difference of appropriate and inappropriate behavior, open your minds a little bit how about... Seriously, come on now kids, it really can't be that difficult. I'm a student here, and I think our student section at hockey games is an ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE representation of our university. If you get asked to sit down, then holy s&!t, sit down and let other people (who have also payed for their seat) to see the game too!! Drop the vulgar language - there are families who pay money to see the game also who have little kids, and I'm pretty sure they don't appreciate all the swearing that comes from our section(s). If you like sitting by the penalty box and don't want the student section moved, then just follow some simple rules.

Bottom line..... Give off a better representation of the University of North Dakota students!!! I'm sure everyone can be more open-minded about this.... (Or maybe not... but you should prove me wrong then.)

I am a student here at UND and I am a season ticket holder, I also did not attend the meeting, for I felt I would not be able to handle what the officials would have to say. Well after looking at the results of the meeting, I feel that we all have been fed a bunch of BS. First of all, they said they lost $300,000 a year because of us? Well, lets think back at to who is keeping this school in business here, who pays as much as three times a year to be here, yeah that is us.... It said that the non- student season ticket holders pay $550, well Im not sure about the rest of you, but Im paying about $5000 a semester to be here. I am aware that the money going to the Ralph, and the money going to the school are two different things, but we're still paying more money than the non- student ticket holders so they cant tell us that they are losing money because of us. I have been to many other college sports, and It seems to me that none of them have as much trouble with the student section as we do. I have been to sporting events that everybody in the building, not just the student section, stands for the whole game.... why is it different here? Why is it that only the students at UND get into the games, if the non- student ticket holders pay so much, they should have as much, if not more pride and spirit than the students. And lastly, last time I checked, this is college, and not high school..... I think we should be able to say anything we want, and I think its sad to hear people tell me that they would rather watch the game on tv at their own place, and they have more fun that way, than if they were at the game in person. thank you

Seems fairly reasonable, IMO. I guess the proof is in the implementation.

I can understand some current season ticket holders who sit on the ends and who get moved could be upset. If I was one, I'd probably be. However, I don't think that's a good reason to NOT move the students. Apparently the season ticket holders are ALREADY complaining about student behavior. If moving the students can fix one source of the conflict, then might as well have the season ticket holders complain once about being moved and be done with it, rather than complain every game.

Students, it's already been said. Cut out the vulgarity (can't be THAT hard), and limit the standing. I'm one who likes to stand. I still do. I'd stand the whole game if I could. I understand that. But few others do. So meet in the middle (on the seat) and get along. Stand up at the right times. Do the rest of the things you can do to be a good citizen, and fight if the complaints about standing during an "emotional" event get out of hand. You'll have much more to stand on then.

I am a student here at UND and I am a season ticket holder, I also did not attend the meeting, for I felt I would not be able to handle what the officials would have to say. Well after looking at the results of the meeting, I feel that we all have been fed a bunch of BS. First of all, they said they lost $300,000 a year because of us? Well, lets think back at to who is keeping this school in business here, who pays as much as three times a year to be here, yeah that is us.... It said that the non- student season ticket holders pay $550, well Im not sure about the rest of you, but Im paying about $5000 a semester to be here. I am aware that the money going to the Ralph, and the money going to the school are two different things, but we're still paying more money than the non- student ticket holders so they cant tell us that they are losing money because of us. I have been to many other college sports, and It seems to me that none of them have as much trouble with the student section as we do. I have been to sporting events that everybody in the building, not just the student section, stands for the whole game.... why is it different here? Why is it that only the students at UND get into the games, if the non- student ticket holders pay so much, they should have as much, if not more pride and spirit than the students. And lastly, last time I checked, this is college, and not high school..... I think we should be able to say anything we want, and I think its sad to hear people tell me that they would rather watch the game on tv at their own place, and they have more fun that way, than if they were at the game in person. thank you

Well. I guess this illustrates the gap pretty well.

Hollywood fine you can believe that, but you still have to be willing to compromise. Just because you have a vision about what would be your perfect situation at games doesn't mean you'll get it. In fact, there is no way you will. You have to be willing to give a little to get a little. I would bet 99.999% of the people who post here would love it if the games were all rocking for every second, it's not going to happen though because it's not realistic. By the same token, you believing and expecting that you should be able to do whatever you want, isn't realistic either. If you keep this viewpoint, you're never going to be happy because it certainly will not happen. You don't have to be pleased as punch about it, but make the best of what the new situation is going to be. If students could take all their frustrations about everything that happens to them and channel it into cheering for UND, the games would all be great.

What bugs me most about this is that everything is about "what the students are doing wrong". Everyone keeps saying that the students need to meet in the middle, but nobody else seems willing to work. Where has the discussion about how to get the rest of the crowd more involved been? Just trying to strong arm the students by threatening to take seats away is ridiculous.

I have said before the best way to solve this is to have students work with students. Instead of threatening the students, get the Sioux Crew, student government and the cheer teams to work together to create cheers and chants that don't involve swearing and teach them to the student section. Maybe at the meeting tonight instead of telling the students how terrable and disrespectful they are, it could have been lead by the Sioux Crew and ideas created on how to create an exciting, positive atmosphere.

It is amazing how many students, alumni, and fans don't know the words to any of the various fight songs. How about we start handing out sheets that have the school songs and different cheers on it to fans as they enter the arena.

It doesn't take a genious to figure out that this would be more productive than preaching to the students. Sometimes I wonder about this administration, they seem to want to do everything the most controversial way possible.

Two hundred, approximately 10%, of the total student season ticket holders attended this mandatory meeting. Who cares?

Should UND give the 7,000 students who don't attend Sioux hockey games their tuition back? Get real, Hollywood. You are paying $75.00 for hockey tickets, $5,000. is for your education. Too much for you? Quit school and you too can pay $550. for your hockey tickets.