SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers in Rodentville

AZSIOUX

I think the team wants to score and play well for Phil now. They proved that on Saturday. If Parise isn't ready, why not play Phil? He's got great numbers in net, and if the team scores for him it's lights out.

In any case, this is a great time to begin gaining ground in the race.

Our defense may be more talented than Minny's, but they lack experience and the judgment isn't always there. Look at the AA series. They were making some rather large mistakes against a weak opponent. Minnesota will take advantage for sure. UND must be more defensively sound!!

If the sioux can put together a whole series of hard nosed, physical, speedy hockey I believe they can win both games. If they let only one period slip by the wayside, then UM will split EASY.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the biggest difference in the last series was bad bounces and officiating. Those things tend to even out. Maybe the Sioux get a BS goal (F$#@%$ Shepard & Stoa), maybe the Gophs lose what should have been a goal (Oshie) and maybe the Sioux get some real lucky breaks (Prpich fails to clear 3 times or Irman gets a clearing attempt as he steps out of the box).

Tired defenders on big ice is definately a concern, but the Sioux have the skill to sweep. A sweep would be absolutely huge for either teams PWR.

BTW, how good is the WCHA when this is clearly the #2 series of the weekend?

We need to hit. We just weren't physical with the Gophers last time we played. Knock Stoa on his ass in front of the crease. Step up and smash Kessel. You know what move is coming.

Potulny was awfully quiet vs. Niagara, so that has me worried. It's like he's saving his energy. :D

I am no doctor but is a hip flexor injury all that big of a deal? I know football players play with these all of time.

I wonder if it isn't a bigger problem for goalies than a normal player since they have to squat, ect.. all the time? Thus making it more of a problem for Jordy? Just a thought.

Goon, I think I'm going to need a steady dose of your optimism this week! I could only make one game this year and fortunately it's Friday, which has been kind to us of late. First time I've made a game at Mariucci in a few years. I'm looking forward to it.

Check out my blog, stead dose of optimism. Hunting and hockey.

Check out my blog, stead dose of optimism. Hunting and hockey.

yah, but no golf! :D

You guys may want to hit as someone said, but if you end up in the box too much you will be toast. Otherwise, as usual, I look forward to a spirited series that could have either game go either way.

WPoS

yah, but no golf! :D

You guys may want to hit as someone said, but if you end up in the box too much you will be toast. Otherwise, as usual, I look forward to a spirited series that could have either game go either way.

WPoS

We're coming off of a series in which we were penalized the least amount of times. Maybe that means something. Maybe it's because Albers let everything go except for two BS checking from Behind penalties.

And, if Minny can't score on 1:48 of 5 on 3 hockey against a "powerhouse" like Niagara, a scattered penalty here and there isn't going to hurt us.

We need to hit. We just weren't physical with the Gophers last time we played. Knock Stoa on his ass in front of the crease.

No doubt it wasn't done to avoid taking penalties the first time around. The Sioux should not have to knock him down when he parks "in the crease" as he did at GF, that's the job of the referee. If he's allowed to park in the crease as before, it's a no win situation for the Sioux, allow him to totally disrupt the goaltender, or knock him down and sit in the box.

If parking in the crease is legal this weekend, the Sioux need to do it also.

Minnesota has the top power play in WCHA play. You can rip them for a lot of things (soft defense, goaltending, etc.) but their power play probably isn't one of them.

You have to consider who's doing the ripping. :D

I am no doctor but is a hip flexor injury all that big of a deal? I know football players play with these all of time.

A hip flexor injury can greatly limit the extension and lateral movement of the leg on that side. For a goalie, that's a big deal, IMHO.

One angle that's been tossed about by Woog, the Strib and on this and other boards, is the idea that MN has gotten fat on their cupcakes and might have truoble adjusting to a good opponent. I think this concept is overdone.

To start with, MN's opponents haven't been nearly as bad as people suggest. These "fringe" Division 1 teams are no longer a joke. They are real teams capable of giving anyone a good game. Yes, Union was overmatched. But Union followed up their pasting by MN by playign Harvard to a tie - the same Harvard that played UND to a standstill and looked pretty good doing it.

Niagara's fun to laugh at, with the Purple Eagles and Niagara "falls" (haha), but they're a real team too. They've beaten Bemidji, who gave the Sioux a real run on Friday and probably were only prevented from winning by Phil L. They also beat UNH 6-2 just a week ago, and played Vermont and Cornell in four very close games.

The fact that MN overwhelmed them says more about MN than it does about Union and Niagara. In fact, in the current era, no one dominates the lesser teams like MN does. Something about the speed and that crisp passing attack is too much for the lower teams.

While we're talking about respecting opponents, I also don't think it's a disgrace that UND would lose to a team like UAA. UAA has beaten Duluth, SCSU and Denver so far this year, and they absolutely had MN on the ropes. I'm not happy about the loss, but when people talk about how tough the WCHA is, it's not just lip service. It really is difficult every weekend.

This weekend will be difficult but not impossible. UND will need excellent goaltending to come home with any points. But I think UND will show up with the effort they are capable of, and I think they will get some points.

The key to both games (aside from the usualy suspects of goal-tending and special teams) will be the transition game. UM will be without their best defensemen (insert your own joke here, but Harrington has been pretty good lately) on Friday and transitioning has been an issue this year in a whole. The Sioux have fast forwards and will forecheck very hard and try to cause turnovers. UM also has speed up front and the Sioux's young defense doesn't have a ton of experience on the big ice and while they are as a group better puck-handlers than previous years, it's still a legit area of concern I think.

The key to both games (aside from the usualy suspects of goal-tending and special teams) will be the transition game. UM will be without their best defensemen (insert your own joke here, but Harrington has been pretty good lately) on Friday and transitioning has been an issue this year in a whole. The Sioux have fast forwards and will forecheck very hard and try to cause turnovers. UM also has speed up front and the Sioux's young defense doesn't have a ton of experience on the big ice and while they are as a group better puck-handlers than previous years, it's still a legit area of concern I think.

This is true if this Fighting Sioux teams shows up. If we get the Sioux team that has showed up in various games this year, playing lacka dazel (sp), not moving their feet, this will not happen.

This is true if this Fighting Sioux teams shows up. If we get the Sioux team that has showed up in various games this year, playing lacka dazel (sp), not moving their feet, this will not happen.

I believe I read that the newest Sioux recruit, Dazel, from the Ukraine, will not be eligible til next Fall. So he will not be playing.

edit: Which is a bummer, because his father Lacka, Sr., was the last cut from the powerhouse Soviet team in 1980.

Great comments JK - - way to put things into perspective accurately.

I see this weekends games decided by goal tending and intangibles.

While I think we have the edge over Briggs and Frazee in the nets - anyone including these guys have the potential to come up big. I'm not sure either of them have yet this year - I hope they're not due for a breakthrough.

As for the intangibles: the Sioux seeking revenge for losing twice at home is certainly motivational - it may be offset by the fact that Minnesota is playing well and at home on the big sheet of ice. We need to win these games to remain in the hunt for an NCAA bid while Minn wants these games as further proof they are on a roll going into the CC and Wisco games.

I look for a great series ! I predict a split.

I believe I read that the newest Sioux recruit, Dazel, from the Ukraine, will not be eligible til next Fall. So he will not be playing.

It's a shame that Perky Sparko will be in the first game while Krees Herringbone will not. :D

As for the intangibles: the Sioux seeking revenge for losing twice at home is certainly motivational - it may be offset by the fact that Minnesota is playing well and at home on the big sheet of ice. We need to win these games to remain in the hunt for an NCAA bid while Minn wants these games as further proof they are on a roll going into the CC and Wisco games.

I look for a great series ! I predict a split.

Here is my question to the Sioux players, how can you not be excited to play the Goofers? It was apparent in the last game they weren't very excited. I would be a nervous wreak in class all week if I was playing in that game. I wouldn't be able to concentrate in class that whole week and I would come flying out on the ice to start that game. My emotions and adrenaline would carry me through the first game. Our guys came out flat and not prepared. How was really disappointedn they not be excited. Emotions should get them 5 goals alone this weekend.

Minnesota has the top power play in WCHA play. You can rip them for a lot of things (soft defense, goaltending, etc.) but their power play probably isn't one of them.

I never said, nor meant to say, that Minny's PP was a weakness. However, I believe (even for the Sioux) that if you get over a minute of 5 on 3 time, you should score. I mean, 5 of you, 3 of them. Can't you make anything happen?

I knew Minny's PP was VERY good which is why I'm quite degrading towards that 5 on 3. With the way you guys were able to move the puck around, I don't see how you couldn't have made one count.

All I'm saying is, if we can play well, then a scattering of minors won't hurt us. To say that we have to play penalty free is like saying the officiating has to be 100 percent consistent. Neither is going to happen, but penalty free play is more possible...

Oh well.