SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA must ban itself!

The Sicatoka

The stuff you learn watching TV:

1. The official car of the NCAA this year is the Pontiac.

http://www.ncaa.org/releases/miscel...003031401ms.htm

2. Pontiac is named after Pontiac, the Ottawa Indian Chief!

3. Thus, the NCAA has an Indian mascot car at all of its championship events.

4. Thus, by its very own edict, the NCAA and its Indian mascot official car should not be allowed to participate in its own NCAA championship events, or should at least have to drop Pontiac, or leave them at home.

An organization based in Indianapolis, Indiana, with Pontiac as the official mascot car, getting "righteous" about Indian names.

Now that-thar, that's funny, I don't care who you are.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1926, the first Pontiac car is introduced by Oakland. The 'Chief of the Sixes,' a 6-cylinder car, is launched at the 1926 New York Auto Show.

Pontiac cars were first produced by the Oakland motor car company in Pontiac, Michigan hence the name, pontiac. Pontiac michigan history states that

The first settlers arrived in what is now the City of Pontiac in 1818. Two years later there were enough people there to form a village named after the famous Indian Chief who had made his headquarters in the area only a few years before.

vehicle history website

city of Pontiac history web page

in light of these findings, I too believe that the NCAA needs to ban itself from all NCAA sanctioned events and remove all logo's and mascots from their facilities. OR they could take a step back and realize that this country was first settled by the natives and like it or not, they are still a very large part of our society and some people still choose to honor them with naming things after them, like sports teams, cities, rivers, county's, townships, shopping malls, and things of that nature not to berade or belittle them, but to keep their rich culture and history alive. I am a firm believer in that singling out schools for their native american nicknames is more racist and biased than the names themselves.

I'm astounded that the NCAA each year gives a major award named after a man who in 1886 gave a speech in which he was quoted as saying:

I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the Western view of the Indian. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.

Based on this fact, I'd think that the NCAA would have no problem with UND changing its name to Roughriders.

Like this?

tns-RD-64.gif

From Wikipedia

150px-Pontiac_logo.png

The Pontiac logo was originally meant to represent an Indian (Native American) arrow-head, and early slang for the vehicle was to call it an Indian (a term still used by some hot rodders and enthusiasts). An Indian/Headdress logo was also used for a while. Alternate slang terms for the marque include Poncho.

Not to mention hideous and unsightly. The car gives an image of the name that brings a bad taste to my mouth... tastes like vomit.

There you go, hurting my feelings with your hostile and abusive remarks about a car named after a great race of people, my ancestors. :lol: Now I can never hold my head up proudly and proclaim pride in my ancestory, my children will never know their history, language, culture, and religion :lol:

I go now into the depths of depression never to see the bright lights of life until the car is renamed 'DA NO NAME'. ;)

Does it just make you wanna "RRRRRAAAAALLLLLPPPPHHHH"? lolol

If only your jokes were funny or original. Unfortunately they are all just pathetic derivations of the exact same thing. You should really try diversifying if you want to be successful. In the meantime though don't quit your day job of public whining.

Wow, now I know y'all are getting desperate!! You should raid their cabinets, I bet you'll find Land-O-lakes brand food and calumet baking powder. That'll make them racists for sure.

As for the Aztecs, well I can't really comment on them because were assimilated/beaten/raped/conquered 100's of years ago by the Spanish, heck I don't even know one person who can speak Aztec and I know many many natives.

But desperate times call for desperate measures. Vent people vent, get it all out!!!!!

UND is winning. See UND has the law on their side. You seem to be the one getting desperate. But hey you can keep ignoring these things if it makes you feel better.

Getting desperate? lol, Diggler I have not yet begun to fight. As for "ignoring things", has anyone told you the INDIANS that you HONOR don't want you to HONOR THEM ANYMORE? I don't know, maybe no one has informed you of that simple fact. Talk about ignoring.......

You keep repeating the same things over and over again. You can't even let a joking thread happen. Instead you just need to say how horrible it is and how this and how that. Everyone in this thread was just making jokes but you had to take it oh so seriously. You are all knowing and speak for everyone who is right. Anyone who dares disagree with the word of GK is either a racist, stupid or ignorant. We get it, you don't need to keep saying it.

Screw it. You don't even come here to make new points anymore. You just come here to try to annoy people. I really don't care any more.

Does it just make you wanna "RRRRRAAAAALLLLLPPPPHHHH"? lolol

Wow, now I know y'all are getting desperate!!

I believe it is you that is getting desperate. The fact is you are always on here complaining but never have a foot to stand on. You have made it perfectly clear that your problem is that giant rich-white-guy chip on your shoulder. That must be a heavy burden to carry around every day.