SiouxSports.com Forum

CC at UND game 2

U2Bad1

Though I take no pleasure in being right, gotta point to my prediction that we'd be unable to repeat the special teams performance that made the difference last night. CC 3/3 on the PP so far. That's definitely been the difference.

Update: I guess they heard me doubting. The Sioux have killed 2 power plays and scored on a late PP goal and the tying goal with the man advantage with the netminder pulled.

You cannot convince me that brandt and siembida are better than ranfranz!!!! :(

There's little doubt Ranfranz saved this game. Probably doesn't mean much for his playing time going forward, but gotta make him feel good against what should arguably be the #1 team in the country.

That's Ridiculous!! Ranfranz should get more playing time.

Blais just said that Ranfranz earned himself a Saturday start in Minnesota. Looks like your wish could be coming true. You never know if that promise will really hold up, but sounds good for Ranfranz.

I'd love to see Ranfranz get a start against Minnesota. I think it would be a good reward for his hard work and the fact that he actually seems to want the job.

Nice effort by the team to salvage a point tonight. Definitely love the *new* never-quit attitude this season. :(

Nice effort by the team to salvage a point tonight. Definitely love the *new* never-quit attitude this season. :(

Certainly was (and is).

Key was finally getting two successful PK's and then scoring a PP. Tieing goal, lucky bounces, Sioux had their share this weekend, seems that things are going good.

Sounded like CC played a defensive third period (but a good one, as neither team had much for chances). Great effort to get the point.

Let's put the Gophs out of the McNaughton running next weekend.

Does anybody have any idea what happened to Canady? He played in the first, but we didn't see him after that and Palmo moved into his spot. None of the people I was with could see him on the bench so we were left to assume that he got hurt.

BTW, the penalty on Palmo for playing without a helmet was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. For those not there, a CC player was draped on Tyler and pushed his head down toward the ice ripping his helmet off. The CC player then held Tyler's head down momentarily. Tyler was finally able to get upright and as soon as he did, Schmitt who was standing three feet away called Tyler for playing without a helmet. Palmo clearly didn't have any chance to bend down and pick up his helmet nor did he have a chance to move toward the bench. Although I likely didn't describe the incident very well, nonetheless it was a horrendous call!

To beat a dead horse ..... this team has great leadership. Posted on another thread are comments made by AC David Hakstol: we need a big weekend from JN, KS and DH

.... and those 3 provided points and playing minutes in abundance (as did the team). It's only the mid point of the season and there is improvement needed; however, to not be questioning the leadership bodes well for this team, especially with all the up coming road games. Go Sioux.

Totally true about finding out who really is best. With 2 ties it's almost as if the 2 games didn't happen. So when both teams are full strength we'll see how things really go.

As for goaltending. I loving Ranfranz. It's a good guy. I'm guessing Brandt was just having a bad night and couldn't focus or something. And Ranfranz was just on fire. It was awesome watching him. I'm not nearly as nervous watching him in next as much as I used to be.

For having to come in cold and relieve Siembida I thought Ranfranz

played a great game and deserves a start against Minnesota. Brandt

was out with the flu was what I was told. Yes a tie may be like kissing

your sister, but I would rather have the two ties than to get two

losses!

Go Sioux!!!

Parise for Hobey!!

Does anybody have any idea what happened to Canady? He played in the first, but we didn't see him after that and Palmo moved into his spot. None of the people I was with could see him on the bench so we were left to assume that he got hurt.

BTW, the penalty on Palmo for playing without a helmet was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

On the screen it showed #22 on the bench in the 3rd period.

Schmidt make a bad call, noooo, it can't be...

That was one of many bad calls. I think Blais shoud protest Schmidt reffing any more of UND games. Bring on Goddard...

Nearing the end of the Michigan game in October, with the Sioux down two and scoring chances getting rarer by the minute, I thought, well, it looks like they're going to lose this one. Then it's Bochenski to Parise and Parise to Bochenski and it's all tied up.

I had the same feeling last night as time wound down, and I remembered the Michigan game. This time, I thought, too bad Zach's not around to provide the spark, or maybe we could come back with a couple of late goals like the Michigan game.

This team just hates to lose. I said that quite a few times during the 2000-01 season when the team had so many ties. They just never quit. This team is not dominant, but they're mentally tough and they don't quit.

Goon I think you're a little off saying Blais should protest Schmitt reffing the Sioux games. Mike Schmitt is possibly one of the best referees in the nation. Yeah the playing without a helmet was probably a marginal call at that point in the game. But you need to realize that Palmo did trip up the CC player after his helmet came off rather than 1) attempting to get off the ice or 2) get his helmet back on.

I thought he was going to take them both, which probably should have happened. The fact remains Palmo did participate in the play without his helmet and we should all breathe a sigh of relief everytime we see Mr. Schmitt ref our games. That was really the only questionable call I saw all weekend, other than the linesman missing a few offsides and calling a hand pass when Schmitt waved it off.

BTW, the penalty on Palmo for playing without a helmet was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. For those not there, a CC player was draped on Tyler and pushed his head down toward the ice ripping his helmet off. The CC player then held Tyler's head down momentarily. Tyler was finally able to get upright and as soon as he did, Schmitt who was standing three feet away called Tyler for playing without a helmet. Palmo clearly didn't have any chance to bend down and pick up his helmet nor did he have a chance to move toward the bench. Although I likely didn't describe the incident very well, nonetheless it was a horrendous call!

I thought it was a good call. From what I saw, Schmidt stared at Palmo waiting to see how he would react. Palmo could have easily dropped his stick and skated away but he stayed and tugged at it and the guy laying on it. That is when Schmidt raised his arm. IMO Schmidt gave him a chance to quit the play and Palmo didn't do it.

More comments later but I thought the reffing was fine, other than those offsides calls on Sat. We were right on the blue line. They were hard to take.

What were the PP on Friday, something like 6-2 for the Sioux? Hard to complain about that. I expected an "equalizing" on Sat but I don't think that happened either. I agree that Bochenski getting hauled down in the 3rd sat and no call and then getting called on the other hand was a bad call. On Sat I did think that CC got away with a couple of boarderline calls only to have the Sioux called on retaliation right after. Say it is bad officiating but I think it was just what is expected in most hockey games. So overall I think the Sioux at least got an even shot for the weekend.

The Bochenski call came after 2-3 straight penalties called on CC. There is no way any official is going to make the next call against them unless it is something obvious. So Bochenski got mugged and then he retaliated and got called for a high stick. By and large Schmidt likes to let the teams play, Friday UND had only 6pp's and CC had 2.

In listening to the game only, Hennesey and company were more satisfied with the job Schmitt did. They did say Bochenski was mugged, held, tripped, etc all weekend.

At the same time as some Sioux fans complaing about the refs, however, CC fans, who seldom complain, did not like it either.

I know listening to the game, I seldom heard Sejna's name, and heard Bochenski much less than usual. Hennesey did say the series was very physical.

I'm wondering, for those of you at the game, if maybe both teams did a fair amount of clutch and grab against the opponents top offensive players (Bochenski and Sejna primarily)? Would only make sense to do so, and would explain why both teams' fans are a bit dissatisfied with Schmitt.

I like the "let 'em play" sort of officiating. Maybe because the Sioux have seldom lost the 5x5 play over the years.

I agree that the officiating was very good. When you have two top teams playing, you want some flow to the game and you don't want the ref raising his arm all the time.

Although I didn't agree with the call on Palmo, it didn't appear to change the outcome and it didn't lessen my opinion of Schmitt, who I felt called a good series.

It was a physical series and there was a lot of clutching, grabbing and some stick work. If it would have been any other referee there would have no doubt been a lot more penalities called, which would have likely taken away from the series and probably benefitted CC and their strong power play.