SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise the starter

siouxtatoo42

I have to ask this. I want to begin this topic with a disclaimer. I don't feel that Lammy is a bad goaltender, i think he has the ability to be a very good college goalie. The question is this....Why don't the Sioux just keep going with Parise in the nets until he has a bad game? I know that Hak and those closer to the team say the Lammy is deserving of the starts due to the week of practice leading up to the weekend, but in my eyes, he isn't translating that into the games he's started. I understand that the team seems to play better in front of Jordan, and has at times seemed to leave Lammy out to dry, so why isn't that something the coached take a look at and say, "hey, jordan is hot, the team plays better in front of him, he's winning and has two shutouts already this year, you get the nod for saturday too". Just want to hear some of the imput of the hockey minds out there. I get the "we need two solid goalies down the road" argument, but only one has been solid.

Goaltending is like money: You can never have too much.

You play both now to keep them both game-ready. You're always one puck away from needing the other. Add on that it's November and the season goes until April and I see why I'd want to spread the workload around.

As far as Lammy's record:

I want to know why the team has scored barely more than a goal per game in his last 13 starts. Put that another way: In his last 13 starts Lammy has had to virtually pitch a shut-out to win; the first mistake is a tie, the second is a loss. Think he knows that and is putting too much pressure on himself? It'd be hard not to. How about a little goal support no matter who is in the Sioux jersey in the blue paint.

Phil Lamoureux didn't lose Saturday. The team that stood around and watched Gauthier with the puck 15 feet from their net, and let him shoot, did.

Goaltending is like money: You can never have too much.

You play both now to keep them both game-ready. You're always one puck away from needing the other. Add on that it's November and the season goes until April and I see why I'd want to spread the workload around.

As far as Lammy's record:

I want to know why the team has scored barely more than a goal per game in his last 13 starts. Put that another way: In his last 13 starts Lammy has had to virtually pitch a shut-out to win; the first mistake is a tie, the second is a loss. Think he knows that and is putting too much pressure on himself? It'd be hard not to. How about a little goal support no matter who is in the Sioux jersey in the blue paint.

Phil Lamoureux didn't lose Saturday. The team that stood around and watched Gauthier with the puck 15 feet from their net, and let him shoot, did.

Ditto.

I have to ask this. I want to begin this topic with a disclaimer. I don't feel that Lammy is a bad goaltender, i think he has the ability to be a very good college goalie. The question is this....Why don't the Sioux just keep going with Parise in the nets until he has a bad game? I know that Hak and those closer to the team say the Lammy is deserving of the starts due to the week of practice leading up to the weekend, but in my eyes, he isn't translating that into the games he's started. I understand that the team seems to play better in front of Jordan, and has at times seemed to leave Lammy out to dry, so why isn't that something the coached take a look at and say, "hey, jordan is hot, the team plays better in front of him, he's winning and has two shutouts already this year, you get the nod for saturday too". Just want to hear some of the imput of the hockey minds out there. I get the "we need two solid goalies down the road" argument, but only one has been solid.

I agree with you on seeing the team play better infront of Parise - I don't know what it is leadership, senority, or what but they play better defensively time and time again in front of Par. To get the shut out this weekend we need Par in the posts. I think Lam will get his time next weekend.

Why not play Parise every game?

History suggests its better to make sure your #1 is fresh for the playoff run in March.

See: UND 1998 (Goehring, maybe the best Sioux goalie ever, was noticeably tired, compared to his stellar performances in 2000)

See: MN 2004 (Briggs, down the stretch)

Also, Phil has been too good for too long, not to come back with a string of good outings soon.

I like Lammy alot too. But Parise was hot at the end of last season, and has been hot at the beginning of this one. If I remember correctly, at the beginning of last season, Lammy was the hot goalie, and many of us were convinced that he was our goaltender. Right now, though, I'd like to see Parise play both nights in conference games, and split them in non-conference games. I also don't think it would be a dumb idea to shake it up and have Lammy start on a Friday and Jordan on Saturday, since the team seems to be coming out more fired up on Fridays right now. Maybe that could help boost Phil's confindence.

I heard Parise on 1310 KNOX on Wednesday, and without knocking Phil in any way, he basically made it clear that he wanted to be playing both nights.

Every goalie wants to play both nights. So does Lammy, I bet.

This early in the season I think it's best to give both guys time, and then worry about solidifying a #1 later in the year. You need to keep them both sharp. My suggestion would be to play Lammy on Friday for a while. Since the team seems to play so good on Friday, give the kid a break. Put Parise in on Sat. Maybe the team plays better on Sat, or maybe Parise can help cover up a few more mistakes. I don't know. But I believe for right now it's more important to make sure both guys are on their game then it is to worry about a few points.

Winning the WCHA isn't the most important thing. If sacrificing the McNaughton is what it takes to make sure your "other" goalie is ready when Parise get's run for the 17th time, I think it's worth it.

Parise is the obvious #1. However I agree that you want to keep him not only sharp but healthy. He can probably handle a 90% or more load but why risk that early in the season. Parise has improved greatly in the past couple years and I commend him on what he has done. Once a flopper with questionable position is now a stalwart in goal with great position.

Nobody in the WCHA is lighting things up early on and the sioux will have to be prepared for the gopher's push later in the season. With no other team really pressuring anyone else to get wins this early there is no pressure to start Parise for every game.

Starting sooner or later I would just use Lamareux splitting time for the mankato/SCCC/michTech type of series and play parise both nights for the big series against W or M.

Where have I heard this discussion before? ???

Ah yes, now I recall... ;)

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...pic=3792&st=180

I can't count the hours of enjoyment I've gotten from this thread. ???

Keep playing Lam. I don't think that he is the issue. Both are great goalies. The sioux need 6 strong periods this weekend.

I still don't know why, in the big series, namely UM, WISC, DEN, CC do you risk giving up 2 points by NOT going with the hot hand. I know everyone says it's early in the season, and that's fine, but how many people would kick themselves for missing home ice in the playoffs or missing winning the McNaughton by two or three points that you lost in november because you wanted two fresh goalies in april. There are teams you can definately give each goalie a game and be comfortable with, but why not the hot hand?

I agree 100%. Everyone argues that well, it's early in the year blah, blah, blah. I don't care, the season's started and wins are wins and points are points. The rest is just crap. You should have your best lineup on the ice regardless. That is until you have home ice, ect. all wrapped up.

• 3 weeks later...
See: MN 2004 (Briggs, down the stretch)

Are you suggesting Briggs is a good goalie? ??? I honestly think of all the starters there are in the WCHA he isn't as good as a Elliot, Zabba, Parise.

Winning the WCHA isn't the most important thing. If sacrificing the McNaughton is what it takes to make sure your "other" goalie is ready when Parise get's run for the 17th time, I think it's worth it.

This is one of our Gorillas need to paste the next person that runs our goalie so teams know that it won't be tollerated anymore. I think a message needs to be sent to the opposing idiots who are doing this. Someone should ask Hak on the next coaches show why we aren't running the oppostions goalies or beating up the thugs that are committing these acts.

I don't see the logic with putting Parise on the bench. I think Lammy is a fine goalie. Parise is better and gives the Sioux the best chance to win games.

I agree with that comment.

Where have I heard this discussion before? ???

Ah yes, now I recall... :0

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...pic=3792&st=180

I can't count the hours of enjoyment I've gotten from this thread. ;)

Keep playing Lam. I don't think that he is the issue. Both are great goalies. The sioux need 6 strong periods this weekend.

Actually its next weekend. No hockey this weekend.

Are you suggesting Briggs is a good goalie? ??? I honestly think of all the starters there are in the WCHA he isn't as good as a Elliot, Zabba, Parise.

This is one of our Gorillas need to paste the next person that runs our goalie so teams know that it won't be tollerated anymore. I think a message needs to be sent to the opposing idiots who are doing this. Someone should ask Hak on the next coaches show why we aren't running the oppostions goalies or beating up the thugs that are committing these acts.

I agree with that comment.

Actually its next weekend. No hockey this weekend.

by the looks of siouxnami's post that post was referring to the wisconsin series 2 weeks ago..see date on top of his post

• 2 weeks later...