SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. MSU-Mankato

mountainman

UND    41

MSU    10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this might be one of those trap games. coming off a very high emotional game with UMD and possibly having one eye down the road at UNO and USD. I think Mankato will put up a fight early and if UND can't get through that and squash their hopes, UND will win big. If they let them stay close, I think the Sioux might find themselves in a dogfight on the road this week.

Which Minnesota State University campus is trying to emphasize its' athletics more--Moorhead or Mankato?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mankato has a larger enrollment than Moorhead. Mankato has a hockey team, Moorhead does not. Both schools are NCAA Divisoin II (in non-hockey sports), but Mankato plays in a better league than Moorhead. I'd say, overall, Mankato emphasizes its athletics more than Moorhead.

Both schools are part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system (MnSCU), along with many other schools (including St. Cloud State, Bemidji State, and Winona State). Of the MnSCU schools, I believe St. Cloud State has the largest enrollment, with Mankato second. Mankato was known as Mankato State University a few years ago. Moorhead was known as Moorhead State University a few years ago. The other schools in MnSCU have (so far) not elected to change their names.

Mankato is making a strong push to be known as simply Minnesota State University, and drop the Mankato part from the popular lexicon.

Mankato has apparently played pretty well at times this year, but it's also hard to ignore that they've lost to Bemidji State and Concordia-St. Paul, and they somehow managed to give up 166 yards rushing to Duluth, which seems impossible to believe given how anemic the Bulldog ground game is. USD rushed for over 300 yards against them. I hope Beatty is ready for another game of over 30 carries, because I think he'll be a workhorse again. They do have some quick defensive linemen who are pretty good pass rushers, so given our relative difficulties with pass protection of late, I suspect the running game will take center stage on Saturday.

Too bad "COACH" was cancelled years ago...maybe there's a sequel in the works..."JAMROG!" :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Mankato wants to be known as Minnesota State University, they should be required to change their nickname to the Screaming Eagles. I think that's a given.

Greetings,

I think it is human nature for fans to prepare for a worst case scenario and talk about a "letdown game". IMO, we already had a letdown game...

UND 33

UMD 10

Even though the score was not close, the Sioux did not play particularly well and I think it served as a mental loss or at least a reminder that they are not infallible. UND will refocus for the final push.

That being said...

UND 41

MSU 06

From the GF Herald

"We have a different beast coming down here this week," Jamrog said of the Sioux. "It's unbelievable how good they are."
As a MSU football player, how do you respond when your coach makes comments like this?

"Last year's starting quarterback, Ben King, decided to end his football career and concentrate on baseball at Mankato. That forced the Mavericks to use Jamie VanDenElzen - the team's punter - at quarterback.

Said Jamrog: "Anytime you play a quarterback who has been a punter all of his life ..."

Nuts...why didn't they include the rest of the quote? :D

"In their last three games, we broke down 188 of their defensive plays and 88 of them went for zero or minus yards," said Jamrog, a former Nebraska assistant. "I haven't seen anything like that."

That's a great statistic!!!

I don't even understand how playing the rest of your season can even be fun when you know that the rest of your games have no implications, and your team doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of making the play-offs. Even if you win out, who cares?? I'd expect this game won't even be close.

I loved that show coach, with the minnesota state screaming eagles, with coach and dobber or what ever his name was Hayden Fox baby! MSU should (100%) surely change there name, that would be awesome. I think UND SIOUX 34 and the MSU screaming eagles 14 or 10 not sure?

I noticed that Mankato State College didn't use the Sioux name once in their press release, yet they have an entire paragraph on how to properly use their name.  :silly:  We don't even need to mention JBSU as they have been pulling this stunt for years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Augie and UNO are the only two NCC schools who actually do use the Fighting Sioux name in their releases. SCSU, UMD and MSU-M don't, and I'm almost positive that USD doesn't, either.

MSU-M could be up because this is about all they have left to play for.

Toss in "tough road game last week" and "outdoors" and "cold north wind moving in" and "natural grass" and I'm worried.

This is a game that could easily be overlooked and turn around and bite a team.