SiouxSports.com Forum

How good is Toews?

bincitysioux

I am not a great hockey mind, but I like what I have seen so far.  Alot.  How do the rest of you more educated hockey minds think Toews compares to ZPar?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of the numbers he will produce I honestly believe they will be at least identical. Having said that, Toews is as complete a hockey player as they come, and he will excel in all areas. As I said in a post over the summer, only the best get to wear a C on a Team Canada uniform. Toews has done that with the U18s and I suspect that in a year or two he will do it with our junior team. It will be my happy day when he passes the Goofs Mr. Media on the NHL Draft rankings.

He's real good... Not the offensive flash and potential of a Kessel, but more well rounded and consistant player. Based of course on my limited viewing. Also very important to remember he is a year younger to Kessel. Compare his Sophamore to Kessel's Freshman year.

Hey! It was my 1st game this yr & they sold out of programs early & with no names it was weird - & the guy next to me had one & I kept asking names

& the skill level of these new guys is awesome

Ones that stuck out to me are Oshie - Duncan - Toews - of course Lee (man what a long neck :crazy: ) Kaip too

#2 Finley is huge & going to be a force to reccon with

I got to sit right on the ice in 103 & it was interesting, to get a up close look - but I prefer my 306 seats as far as seeing the entire game

older guys Smaby - Stafford & Perpich were fun to see up close

Parise Please stay in the NET

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, he had my heart going there a few too many times. I wonder if he's a wanna be 'D' guy. :crazy:

Man, we have some great talent. It's going to be a joy watching them grow up. I hope we get the opportunity to keep them for two or more years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to say the same thing, but Jordan is pretty sure-handed when he's out of the crease. I think the team expects him to make a big pass. Prpich's goal last night was a perfect example of how valuable JPar can be when he plays his game.

When is the last time a Sioux goaltender got an assist?

(Sorry about the hijack)

I used to say the same thing, but Jordan is pretty sure-handed when he's out of the crease. I think the team expects him to make a big pass. Prpich's goal last night was a perfect example of how valuable JPar can be when he plays his game.

When is the last time a Sioux goaltender got an assist?

(Sorry about the hijack)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't remember who or when but I'm pretty sure it was at the new Ralph. Are you asking because you don't know either or is this like Trivia? :crazy:

I was at the game Friday night. Toews is without a doubt the most talented player

I have seen in a Sioux uniform in the last 10 years. He is clearly head and shoulders above everybody else. He looks just effortless out there. There is only one other player that has looked that good to me and that is Sidney Crosby. Everytime Toews touches the puck there is a chance something big will happen. He can either go in the corner and grind it out or he can out-skill or out-finesse the opposing player(s). I will be very surprised he stays more than 1 year. If any of you get a chance when the Sioux are at home, please go see him. He is something else.

I was at the game Friday night. Toews is without a doubt the most talented player

I have seen in a Sioux uniform in the last 10 years. He is clearly head and shoulders above everybody else. He looks just effortless out there. There is only one other player that has looked that good to me and that is Sidney Crosby. Everytime Toews touches the puck there is a chance something big will happen. He can either go in the corner and grind it out or he can out-skill or out-finesse the opposing player(s).  I will be very surprised he stays more than 1 year. If any of you get a chance when the Sioux are at home, please go see him. He is something else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I understand and applaud your entusiasm, we have only played 4 games against 3 weak teams and one decent team in MSU where Toews did not register a point. No doubt he is a very good player, however I think we need a little longer stretch of games against much stronger teams to really gauge how good he is and has the potential to be. The skills are there but the competition is going to get a lot tougher starting this weekend so it will be interesting to see how he does in a hostile environment at UNH.

I will be very surprised he (Toews) stays more than 1 year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's possible. Sidney Crosby is in the NHL as an 18-year-old, but I think it is far from a sure thing that Toews will be ready for that. If he signs a pro contract and doesn't stick with the NHL, the AHL would not be an option because he would be underage. He'd have to go to the CHL.

I think (hope) that the Sioux will have Toews for 2 years.

BTW, Toews hasn't even approached the torrid start that Zach Parise had when he came to UND. You may recall that Zach started with a pair of 4-point games against Canisius and Michigan.

It's possible. Sidney Crosby is in the NHL as an 18-year-old, but I think it is far from a sure thing that Toews will be ready for that. If he signs a pro contract and doesn't stick with the NHL, the AHL would not be an option because he would be underage. He'd have to go to the CHL.

BTW, Toews hasn't even approached the torrid start that Zach Parise had when he came to UND. You may recall that Zach started with a pair of 4-point games against Canisius and Michigan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know. Miami of Ohio was a damn tough team and Michigan State obviously as well.....and Northeastern.....the first four games....that's not too bad of competiotion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whenever someone makes a comparison between Toews and say Z Parise they should realize that he is likely a year younger than any of the other rookies both past and present. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing Parise was at least 18 years old when he first came to UND.

Toews was born in 1988. He is playing as a true 17 year old. His peers are still in high school. That is one of the reasons why UND will likely see this kid for at least 2 years.

Toew's hand to eye coordination is what sets him apart, the puck never leaves the toe of his stick when he receives a pass. It appears to be glued to his stick. That is one of the differences between him and the rest.

he's got the "POTENTIAL" to challenge Kessel for (the already annointed - by GOOF folks) the "WCHA rookie of the year" title - all depends what he does with it. Normally, I'd give him a pass because he's only 17 but in my gut I think this guy is a real find for UND. Much more mature than his age...he just needs to adjust. He'll be much better late in the season than early...team him up with TJ and you'll see some show-stopping fireworks!!

Don't get me wrong, I think Toews will be a great player. But I remember when I saw Zach Parise play in person for the first time I was more impressed than I was when I saw Toews play in person for the first time. Remember that Zach got a hat trick in his first game, scored 4 points against Michigan in his second game, and had 13 points in his first 4 games. By comparison, Toews has 4 points in his first 4 games.

Toews is a year younger, so the potential is there, but I don't think he's going to approach the 61 points in his freshmen campaign like Zach did. Maybe next year he will.

I think Brian Lee is a much greater risk for being a one year Sioux player than Toews.

I don't see Lee or Toews as flight risks after this year. Both Lee or Toews need to develop more physically. The NHL will let UND's strength coach do his magic rather than pay these boys big bucks when there this young.

That's a great thing for NHL teams who draft NCAA players, they can develop for free. Typically, you hear rumbling of a player leaving when they absolulty dominate at this level or cannot develop further due to NCAA rules. That's why you see a lot of big defensive defensemen who are not highly touted leave early. They can work on the NHL style in the AHL and not live in the penalty box.

I don't Lee dominating during his freshman year. Although he will be very solid, and possibly an all rookie team selection.

Don't get me wrong, I think Toews will be a great player.  But I remember when I saw Zach Parise play in person for the first time I was more impressed than I was when I saw Toews play in person for the first time.  Remember that Zach got a hat trick in his first game, scored 4 points against Michigan in his second game, and had 13 points in his first 4 games.  By comparison, Toews has 4 points in his first 4 games.

Toews is a year younger, so the potential is there, but I don't think he's going to approach the 61 points in his freshmen campaign like Zach did.  Maybe next year he will.

I think Brian Lee is a much greater risk for being a one year Sioux player than Toews.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is why it is so difficult to compare Toews to anybody else. You have to imagine Toews at his current level playing at Shattuck this year and ask yourself, how would he do? I would suggest that he would absolutely destroy that league.

Then you have to ask yourself, how will he do next year as a rookie after having a full year under his belt at the NCAA level. Obviously you can't have a full year and be a rookie at the same time, but that is effectively what we are talking about when it comes to Toews and any comparisons that you would make with anybody else. He is a unique situation.

Comparing Parise to Toews is difficult because of the line that Zach was in (Bochenski, ??Genoway or Stafford maybe Bayda?? -can't remember the other foward ) Zach scored so many points so fast because of his line, it may be the best Sioux hockey since Hurkus and Joyce. That number one line could put a puck in the net at a drop of a hat. Now Toews is in a differnt situation, all freshman line on Saturday and put on a line with Stafford and Zajac on Friday- both excellent hockey players but neither I feel will put the numbers on the board like Bochenski with Parise. Toews and the Sioux both need the go to man to step up like Bo did.

Toews had a NHL power forward kind of goal on Friday - Sign of things to come! He has unbelievable stick handling and feel for the game. I think that his second season with UND will be his year to explode and get 4 points a game against some class B teams. Meaning I think he will be here at least two seasons.