SiouxSports.com Forum

How good is Toews?

bincitysioux

I'm a huge Oshie fan as most on this board can already gather, but I think to say one is better than the other in regard to him and Toews is a little difficult, as they are both very highly skilled players, but each has his own uniqueness that they bring to the team, I think it comes down to finding out where you fit into the grand scheme of things then excelling in that role.

I'm a huge Oshie fan as most on this board can already gather, but I think to say one is better than the other in regard to him and Toews is a little difficult, as they are both very highly skilled players, but each has his own uniqueness that they bring to the team, I think it comes down to finding out where you fit into the grand scheme of things then excelling in that role.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I erased my post when I read yours. That was exactly what I was going to say.

Oshie and Toews play a different style of hockey. Oshie is more high energy, gritty, just score mentality (whether by goals or by setting it up) similar to Bochenski.

Toews is more of a finesse player. A guy with Stafford's skates and Zajac's stick. He has great size for his ability. His potential is simply staggering. Plus he's smart. Intelligence is something rare in sports. Toews will bring a new aspect to this team.

I erased my post when I read yours. That was exactly what I was going to say.

Oshie and Toews play a different style of hockey. Oshie is more high energy, gritty, just score mentality (whether by goals or by setting it up) similar to Bochenski.

Toews is more of a finesse player. A guy with Stafford's skates and Zajac's stick. He has great size for his ability. His potential is simply staggering. Plus he's smart. Intelligence is something rare in sports. Toews will bring a new aspect to this team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I 'm going to repeat myself but here goes. Toews was born in 1988. Kessel was born in 1987. T.J. Oshie was born in 1986. To compare Toews to these guys and say they are better is unfair at this stage. Waite another year after he has had some time to gain some additional strength and then ask yourself, where he sits. I suggest he will be ahead of both TJ and Kessel by then. TJ for sure. The reason I suspect people don't recognize how young Toews is, is because he is as tall or taller than a good chunk of his current teammates.

Another way to think about it----->Toews will play his entire freshman season as a 17 year old. Kessel will play his entire freshman season as an 18 year old.

I wonder when the last time someone as young as Toews played college hockey?

Another way to think about it----->Toews will play his entire freshman season as a 17 year old.  Kessel will play his entire freshman season as an 18 year old. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was YOU Rick. What a career you had. You only had third round talent, but you were drafted in the first round because you went to UND. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toews goal on Friday night was awesome to say the least. I like what both players bring to the ice and the Sioux will only be better with both of them playing.

Another way to think about it----->Toews will play his entire freshman season as a 17 year old.  Kessel will play his entire freshman season as an 18 year old. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't Chris Lieweber 17 when he came to UND?

I'm going to repeat myself. TJ and Toews are two completely different types of players, a head to head comparison of who is "better" than who now or anytime in the future is simply wild speculation at best, and why does it really matter ? I think they are both great and see no need whatsoever to split hairs of this deal. In my mind they are both equally fun to watch, and I hope they keep them on the same line cause they will be great together, that I'm sure of.

Red Line Report.

Top-heavy 2006 draft pool looking weak overall

Like the big four in 2002 (Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen, Jay Bouwmeester, and Joni Pitkanen), this year's top foursome of Phil Kessel, Michael Frolik, Erik Johnson, and Jonathan Toews brings a luster to the top end of the class. It could be a special group that masks the class' overall flaws and makes it look better than it otherwise would.

Back in North America, the college scene is barren after Kessel, Toews, and Mark Mitera, as are the prep and high school ranks.

Also worth noting Forney is listed at #10.

Toews had a NHL power forward kind of goal on Friday - Sign of things to come!  He has unbelievable stick handling and feel for the game.  I think that his second season with UND will be his year to explode and get 4 points a game against some class B teams. Meaning I think he will be here at least two seasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it is still going to happen this season, he has been playing on a line with Porter and Oshie. That line has looked good this season.

Probably as good as he wants to be.

Off topic a little....Considering that he's only 17 & this is the age when most young men go through growth spurts, he may upsize another inch....maybe more. Most of his peers are trying out for varsity h.s. squads or trying to get the feel for the USHL, while he's competing in a league with grown men 3, 4 years his senior. He no doubt thought of this challenge before he signed with UND, that it would be the best for his development & would fasttrack his path to the NHL. No sense lighting up the USHL for a year when he can have comparable (but maybe less) success with more mature, refined players. Akin to academics: If you have a bright child, you put him with the other bright kids; not the average ones because there's no challenge & it stunts development.

Off topic a little....Considering that he's only 17 & this is the age when most young men go through growth spurts, he may upsize another inch....maybe more. Most of his peers are trying out for varsity h.s. squads or trying to get the feel for the USHL, while he's competing in a league with grown men 3, 4 years his senior. He no doubt thought of this challenge before he signed with UND, that it would be the best for his development & would fasttrack his path to the NHL. No sense lighting up the USHL for a year when he can have comparable (but maybe less) success with more mature, refined players. Akin to academics: If you have a bright child, you put him with the other bright kids; not the average ones because there's no challenge & it stunts development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Toews>Kessel especially since Kessel will be a one year wonder and Toews will be here at least two years. I kind of hope Kessel is the top pick since that will likely mean he will be one and done in Goofeville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The question wasn't UND or the USHL, it was UND or Major Junior. Either way he would have been playing with older players.