SiouxSports.com Forum

why dont we just change it to

olealumni

SUE!!As a sioux alumni and current hockey and football season ticket holder, i think we shoudl just chagned the spelling of it and screw all them ncaa boards. i mean sue wont be hurting no one or if anyone else can think of a better way to spell it . what do you guys think?

also heard a rumor going aroudn that we arent even gunna have a nickname and jsut be called UND

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SUE!!As a sioux alumni and current hockey and football season ticket holder, i think we shoudl just chagned the spelling of it and screw all them ncaa boards. i mean sue wont be hurting no one or if anyone else can think of a better way to spell it . what do you guys think?

also heard a rumor going aroudn that we arent even gunna have a nickname and jsut be called  UND

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no reason to just give up. I think the NCAA is going to back up once UND sues them in court. I think the NCAA's goose is cooked.

I'm in favor of what has been suggested on the site many times, if we are forced to not use Fighting Sioux, than use no nickname at all.  The fans will carry it on, the interlocking ND would be the official logo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry,no reference to American Indians can be used. If ND stands for North Dakota,the two Dakota Sioux who will be offended by the use of the name will be carrying placards and marching down University Avenue with 100 persons of the Caucasion persuasion in protest. :angry: The NC$$ will then send in a battalion of PC police with tear gas and spray paint to remove the hostile and abusive references to the Dakota.

I have thought about this... I say, we keep the Sioux name and moniker throughout the regular season, and then, when it matters, we cover EVERYTHING up in Black Electrical tape, and call ourselves, The University of North Dakota Fighting Black Electrical Tape cover-ups of our Former Namesakes. I'm Serious.

I have thought about this... I say, we keep the Sioux name and moniker throughout the regular season, and then, when it matters, we cover EVERYTHING up in Black Electrical tape, and call ourselves, The University of North Dakota Fighting Black Electrical Tape cover-ups of our Former Namesakes. I'm Serious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How's this, UND FS>>Un-Named Defenders of Freedom of Speech!

Hey, why don't we go back to our original nickname -- the Flickertails. Every time we meet the Gophers for a hockey series it could be the "Rodent Rumble in the Ralph."

Prairie Dogs can be pretty fierce. I guess they darn near ruined a picnic site in Medora.

And no one could get in trouble for throwing frozen rodents on the ice anymore because, hey, those are our dead frozen rodents.

Anyway, gophers are so lame when compared to FLICKERTAILS.

Okay, I admit it -- I'm a moron. "Flickertails" does not refer to prairie dogs -- too bad for them -- but instead refers to the thirteen-lined ground squirrel, also known as Richardson's ground squirrel. This is also the same animal that the U. of Minnesota "Gophers" are named after. How ironic.

So, I guess that would change the name of our annual hockey series in Grand Forks from "The Rodent Rumble at the Ralph" to "The Big Fight between Two Rodents with Different Names but That Are Really the Same Thing -- the Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel, also known as the Richardson's Ground Squirrel."

I bet you could fit that on a t-shirt with small enough font. I'd buy one -- seriously.

I added this in a different thread before I noticed this thread:

How about the Warriors, using a Viking warrior as a mascot.

I would guess the AI will bitch about the name warriors, but since it is a Norse warrior, and they don't have exclusive rights to the word, it would work. It has a huge localized meaning with all the Scandinain culture the Dakotas have

I added this in a different thread before I noticed this thread:

How about the Warriors, using a Viking warrior as a mascot.

I would guess the AI will bitch about the name warriors, but since it is a Norse warrior, and they don't have exclusive rights to the word, it would work. It has a huge localized meaning with all the Scandinain culture the Dakotas have

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I answered on the other thread and am not smart enough to know how to transfer script from one thread to another.

If we have to change the nickname I think we should open it up to bids, sending representatives out to all the non-Sioux tribes around the area and pitch their name with the Sioux. We can use the FSU and Seminole tribes as an example and revitalize the school anew. This way we can try to keep the logo and we can dump the name "Fighting Sioux."

Sure, there is a chance that the Chippewa, Ojibwe, Seminoles, or whomever we approach will reject it. If they do, and our NCAA appeals and/or court case has been lost, we should investigate other avenues.

And, if there is interest by non-SIoux Native American tribes out there, we should work extra hard with them to grant them the type of respect and Honor that we all percieved the Fighting Sioux nickname to have. Then we change the name and let the Ganje's, GKs, and all move onto another topic. Invariably, it will be the same topic, but they won't have any clout as the issue won't be related to the Sioux.