SiouxSports.com Forum

why dont we just change it to

olealumni

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yttrium- What does 'Ojibwe' mean in the Chippewa language?  UND's school colors are Green, White, and "Prairie Rose (yuck)".  In your opinion, should UND change their name to Ojibwe or Chippewa, would the school colors have to change too?  If so, what would you think they'd change to that would be more symbolic towards the Ojibwe people?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a quick snip it from Ojibwe research:

The Ojibwe were the largest and most powerful Great Lakes tribe; perhaps the most powerful east of the Mississippi; and quite possibly the most powerful in North America. The Lakota (Sioux) and Apache have gotten better press, but it was the Ojibwe who defeated the Iroquois and forced the Sioux to leave Minnesota. Very few Americans realize that the Ojibwe were a major power. Their location was well north of the main flow of settlement, and their victories over native enemies have never received proper credit. A variety of names (Ojibwe, Chippewa, Bungee, Mississauga, and Saulteaux) and division of their population between Canada and United States has masked their true size. In addition, the Ojibwe never fought with Americans after 1815. Even before this, their participation in wars between Britain and France or fighting Americans in the Ohio Valley was fairly limited. Considering the prowess of Ojibwe warriors, this was probably just as well for the Americans. However, this does not mean they have been ignored by government. As the Chippewa, they signed more treaties with the United States than any other tribe

The Ojibwe were the largest and most powerful Great Lakes tribe; perhaps the most powerful east of the Mississippi; and quite possibly the most powerful in North America. The Lakota (Sioux) and Apache have gotten better press, but it was the Ojibwe who defeated the Iroquois and forced the Sioux to leave Minnesota. Very few Americans realize that the Ojibwe were a major power. Their location was well north of the main flow of settlement, and their victories over native enemies have never received proper credit. A variety of names (Ojibwe, Chippewa, Bungee, Mississauga, and Saulteaux) and division of their population between Canada and United States has masked their true size. In addition, the Ojibwe never fought with Americans after 1815. Even before this, their participation in wars between Britain and France or fighting Americans in the Ohio Valley was fairly limited. Considering the prowess of Ojibwe warriors, this was probably just as well for the Americans. However, this does not mean they have been ignored by government. As the Chippewa, they signed more treaties with the United States than any other tribe

"So go ahead and cut me down, go ahead and twist my words, but the fact of the matter is....I am an Indian, I also have pictures and stories of my grandfathers (yes, plural, because my Indian blood comes from more than once source), and you, I don't know what you are, but if you are Indian, you aren't Sioux."

Mr. Kracker:

Let's come to a peace agreement. I'm not here to cut you down. Simply to tell you not all Native Americans have this poor us ... poor me approach to every day life. The ones that do, pass this on the future generations and there is no way we can survive blaming everyone except ourselves.

And just so you know ... white people look at me funny too but maybe that's just the way they are. Maybe they're threatened by me. I'm not afraid to talk with them and introduce myself. Most of the time they are very respectful citizens. Regardless, this issue is way off balance.

I should be the Chief of my reservation and maybe I will one day. Until then, I will continue the "Good Path" and make my life complete. Both my father and mother have native blood which I can bet makes me more Indian then you. I don't care to get a "res" check every month nor have I ever relied on one. Yes, I'm not Sioux. Obviously. But when we all breaks down I'm Anishinabe (first people). Because I disagree with you you take these pathetic pot shots just like a coward would. I come to you in peace.

"But I can sympathize with you Yttrium, because I know many many Ojibwe who would much rather learn our Lakota language, learn our Lakota way of life, and in an nutshell, call themselves Sioux. Its not just you. There are many lost Indians our there. I see them all across this country. So don't think your are alone for wanting to be Sioux."

GK ... why would I want to be like you? I'm glad you're not my mentor or advisor with the actions and words you portray on this site. Don't you see the way you present yourself? No. I don't care to learn your language at this point nor am I a lost Indian. Ha Ha. Your typical ... okay .. I'm not getting my way so I'll take my ball and go home.

My stance is firm in my previous responses. I will not back down to that. What I've tried to do is give everyone a bright light to this subject. I've spoken my peace on this emotional issue and wish you all of life's best.

Please refer to my previous message of "Build Me A Son." Please take time to read this and answer your ?'s honestly.

Migwetch (Thank You)

Could you guys just stick to Sioux Hockey and not all of this other 'Holyer than thou" BS.

I mean come on, yeah yttrium, your posts said all the right things but do you really live your life by the way you'd like us to believe you do?

Why don't we just stick to talking about our boys in green and they're progress.

I highly doubt they're flying home talking about the great debate of the sioux name.

I'm a single father who works hard for what I have and when I can afford it, I take my kids to a game, but come on. It's really pathetic to play on words to get all kinds of praise on a board like this. So far, All I see are "cut and pastes" of articles by SOMEONE ELSE.

In Example:

Build Me a Son

General Douglas A. MacArthur

Build me a son, O Lord,

who will be strong enough to know when he is weak,

and brave enough to face him self when he is afraid;

one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat,

and humble and gentle in victory.

Build me a son whose wishbone will not be

where his backbone should be;

a son who will know Thee- and that

to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.

Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort,

but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge.

Here, let him learn to stand up in the storm;

here, let him team compassion for those who fall.

Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goals will be high;

a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men;

one who will learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep;

one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.

And after all these things are his,

add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor,

so that he may always be serious,

yet never take himself too seriously.

Give him humility, so that he may always remember

the simplicity of true greatness,

the open mind of true wisdom,

the meekness of true strength.

Then I, his father, will dare to whisper,

"I have not lived in vain."

Yes, It's a fantastic poem but let's leave it out of a hockey forum, I highly doubt General McArthur would want this beautful poem to be sitting on a heated logo name debate forum.

To the great boys in green- shrug it off and be ready for this weekend. Can't wait to watch another great series! :D

GO SIOUX!!!

Could you guys just stick to Sioux Hockey and not all of this other 'Holyer than thou" BS.

I mean come on, yeah yttrium, your posts said all the right things but do you really live your life by the way you'd like us to believe  you do?

Why don't we just stick to talking about our boys in green and they're progress.

I highly doubt they're flying home talking about the great debate of the sioux name.

I'm a single father who works hard for what I have and when I can afford it, I take my kids to a game, but come on. It's really pathetic to play on words to get all kinds of praise on a board like this. So far, All I see are "cut and pastes" of articles by SOMEONE ELSE.

In Example:

Build Me a Son

General Douglas A. MacArthur

Build me a son, O Lord,

who will be strong enough to know when he is weak,

and brave enough to face him self when he is afraid;

one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat,

and humble and gentle in victory.

Build me a son whose wishbone will not be

where his backbone should be;

a son who will know Thee- and that

to know himself is the foundation stone of knowledge.

Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort,

but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge.

Here, let him learn to stand up in the storm;

here, let him team compassion for those who fall.

Build me a son whose heart will be clear, whose goals will be high;

a son who will master himself before he seeks to master other men;

one who will learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep;

one who will reach into the future, yet never forget the past.

And after all these things are his,

add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor,

so that he may always be serious,

yet never take himself too seriously.

Give him humility, so that he may always remember

the simplicity of true greatness,

the open mind of true wisdom,

the meekness of true strength.

Then I, his father, will dare to whisper,

"I have not lived in vain."

Yes, It's a fantastic poem but let's leave it out of a hockey forum, I highly doubt General McArthur would want this beautful poem to be sitting on a heated logo name debate forum.

To the great boys in green- shrug it off and be ready for this weekend. Can't wait to watch another great series!  :D

GO SIOUX!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Snowsiouxt person,

This particular post has nothing to do with Sioux hockey. The website is not just about Sioux hockey or for that matter Sioux Sports. Judging by the hits on this subject it has generated a lot of interest.

I don't see anything in Yttrium's post about being "holier than thou". Your criticism is unfair and unwarrented. It has been entertaining to read Krackers comments from the activists standpoint and then interesting to read the rebuttal from an American Indian who takes a much different view.

As someone who years ago was one of the "boys in green" I also would bet there has been much discussion amoung Sioux hcokey players over this issue. I know the Sioux football players have discussed it.

If it is a bit too intellectual for you, then simply click your mouse on one of the other subjects. If I can figure that out, so can you.

snowsiouxt,

There are several parts of SiouxSports.com.

You happen to be in the Sioux Name part of the forum.

That's right, the Sioux nickname is discussed here.

If you don't like it, stay out of this part of the forum, and just post in the hockey thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

New guy, had you been here for a while, you would see that this holier than thou has been brought to this board by GrahamKracker and his own racial bigotry,

'I'm an Indian, you're not, so you don't don't know the horror it is to have a sports team called the Fighting Sioux',

'I'm an Indian, you're not so, so my life is more pathetic than yours and calling a sports team the Fighting Sioux makes my life worse than it is.'

'I'm an Indian, you're not, so I can't make my life better than it is because there's a sports team called the Fighting Sioux that keeps me from doing that.'

'I'm an Indian, and you're not, and the white man is sticking it to me every chance he gets, like calling a sports team the Fighting Sioux.'

'I'm an Indian who looks like an Indian and that is the reason for every bad thing in my life and having a sports team called the Fighting Sioux makes my life worse.'

'I'm an Indian who is against having a team called the Fighting Sioux and that makes me more Indian than an Indian who is not against the Fighting Sioux name.'

'I'm an Indian who calls Indians derogatory names if they do not oppose the Fighting Sioux name because they are less Indian than I am.'

'I'm an Indian who makes the most wild accusations about hate crimes that are happening today on the UND campus but cannot prove anything I say.'

'I'm an Indian who refuses to acknowledge that UND has more American Indian programs and services and a larger percentage of American Indian students than school significantly larger than UND becasue to do so would be to admit that the Fighting Sioux name is not preventing Indians from coming to this school and promoting federal dollars to help fund these programs instead of going down the road to NDSU or SDSU or any other school in the tri-state area.'

'I'm an Indian who believes that the Indians in the UND INMED program are not Indian enough because they do not look Indian enough to me, therefore they should not be in the program and it's all the fault of the school having a sports team called the Fighting Sioux.'

'I'm an Indian who is married to a woman who is not Indian but who is also against the Fighting Sioux name so she is more Indian than an Indian who is not against the Fight Sioux nickname.'

'I'm an Indian who is raising his children the Indian way so that makes me a better parent than parents who are not against the Fighting Sioux name.'

'I'm an Indian who is better than all other Indians especially if they are not against the Fighting Sioux name.'

'I'm an Indian who is better than anyone else in the United States because I come from a sovereign nation who is against the Fighting Sioux name.'

'I'm an Indian who takes advantage of everything UND has to offer because it's a good school but I'm going to spend my life spewing hateful comments about the school, it's students, and alumi because they are not against the Fighting Sioux name.'

'I'm an Indian whose wife is in the process of becoming a professional in an important field who agrees with me about every hateful thing thing I have posted about Fighting Sioux name supporters, so beware, you may not get what you need from her if you are a Fighting Sioux supporter or if you're not a real Indian by my definition and in my world.'

'I'm an Indian who comes on this board and makes the most ridiculous, inflammatory, racially driven, hateful statements about everyone who is not against the Fighting Sioux name.'

So fellow poster, when an American Indian like Yttrium comes on this board to dispute the garbage posted by GrahamKracker, the rest of us want to read it.

The Sioux Name board is about the Fighting Sioux name and even racial bigots like GrahamKracker and his wanna be but isn't Indian wife, KnowTheFacts, can and have posted what they want in this forum. The Hockey board is where we go to discuss the best damned hockey team who plays in the best damned arena in the world. See you there.

New guy, had you been here for a while, you would see that this holier than thou has been brought to this board by GrahamKracker and his own racial bigotry..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another classic post by Sioux-cia. clapping.gifthumbup_wink.gif

seriously..the North Dakota GREEN AND WHITE! It's appropriate (given our colors) -- Detractors can say what they will (GREEN=$$$ WHITE= ;)) but you can't insult a COLOR :D (at least right now!) You know what everyone will be wearing and shouting at the end of the National Anthem anyway.... :)

I'm white and I am supposed to have all of these wonderful benefits because of it.  I'm still waiting for the silver-spoon to show up in the mail. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey GBpakrzz:

you must have forgotten to register. You don't get your White Member I.D. card and free silver spoon until you can prove that all of your blood lines are white. If not, you are not a true white and will be denied membership. If you are able to register, be sure to carry your card everywhere! You never know when you may need it on an on-line forum.

YOU MUST GO HERE TO REGISTER.

Hey GBpakrzz:

you must have forgotten to register. You don't get your White Member I.D. card and free silver spoon until you can prove that all of your blood lines are white. If not, you are not a true white and will be denied membership. If you are able to register, be sure to carry your card everywhere! You never know when you may need it on an on-line forum.

I'm assuming this is a dig on Kracker?

Hey GBpakrzz:

I'm assuming this is a dig on Kracker?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it was. It may not have been the world's best joke but was supposed to point out to Kracker that alot of what he says is just as racist and demeaning to us and himself.

Just to clarify, I do not condone, endorse, or advocate the KKK or what it stands for. It was meant only to prove a point.