SiouxSports.com Forum

Name Change

airmail

Would you rather....  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather....

• Keep the name and be subject to the post season restrictions?
    • Change the name?

I wonder how different this poll would look 14 months from now if all appeals have been exhausted, lawsuits lost/deemed impractical, and the undefeated UND football team loses a close second round playoff game on the road at GVSU (that should have been in the Alerus)?

I support the Sioux nickname and agree with Kupchella that those of us who do can't stand idly by while being accused of being hostile and abusive. Pursue all appeals and any viable political, organizational, or legal remedies. However, if the punishments stand once all is said and done, I'm going to have a hard time favoring a historical nickname for UND's teams over a big playoff advantage for those teams.

This is probably one of the silliest polls I have ever seen. Of course it is going to be nearly 100% keep the name, that's what we all want. Just keep in mind that it is a case of preaching to the choir and not any sort of scientific result before we bask in the glory of the results. :angry:

I wonder how different this poll would look 14 months from now if all appeals have been exhausted, lawsuits lost/deemed impractical, and the undefeated UND football team loses a close second round playoff game on the road at GVSU (that should have been in the Alerus)?

I support the Sioux nickname and agree with Kupchella that those of us who do can't stand idly by while being accused of being hostile and abusive.  Pursue all appeals and any viable political, organizational, or legal remedies.  However, if the punishments stand once all is said and done, I'm going to have a hard time favoring a historical nickname for UND's teams over a big playoff advantage for those teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. Couple that with lost revenues for REA, the Betty and Alerus, and the pressure to change the name could be significant. As such, I see no reason to maintain the "special relationship" with the tribes if the name goes, and UND can use the cost savings to make the necessary alterations to facilities, uniforms, etc.

This is probably one of the silliest polls I have ever seen.  Of course it is going to be nearly 100% keep the name, that's what we all want.  Just keep in mind that it is a case of preaching to the choir and not any sort of scientific result before we bask in the glory of the results. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? So Dan Rather and CBS shouldn't quote this in a 60 minutes segment?

Now is the time to look at D1.  It will give UND time to work through the process, both legal and emotional. 

Hockey team could use an alt. jersey for playoffs and other programs would have probationary period to satisfy.

I love this idea. I love the Fighting Sioux name and can't imagine UND going by any other name. Losing the ability to host hockey regionals, or the men's and women's Elite 8, is of little consequence. But If our football, basketball teams, or any other athletic program can never play a home playoff game, I have to reconsider. I love the name but I love our teams to have success more.

Ok, I'm not as pissed as I used to be.

With Oshie's, Brien's and the favorable (we think) replay we had from the Ojibwe (or Chippewa) tribes, why not be the Fighting Ojibwe?

We can keep the logo that way...

But I say we don't change it until absolutely forced to do so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+++

I am breaking my own promise not to peruse the Sioux Name threads...but something in the Foolum this morning has me scratching my formerly-hair-covered head:

UND Director of American Indian Student Services Leigh Jeanotte, standing in a corner opposite Kupchella during the news conference, said the ruling is not a chance

But all those things are supposedly already happening, that's one of the reasons given for the name changing. Offering compromise now to allow the name to stay, doesn't make sense to me.  Then again, not much of this whole situation makes sense to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry, the whole thing doesn't make sense.

GK and his ...... "friends" don't want to work to a compromise. They want complete and total surrender by the University on this issue. Working with the University and its students and alumni is only to be accepted upon the agreement to remove everything from the name. It is exactly this type of extreme liberalism that makes me want to scream!

It's funny really. They step forward and say, "We believe in this institution! We think we can work with everyone to find a name that is beneficial to both sides!" And then they say "We want them to change the nickname." Ok... wait... hold on.... You want to compromise or you want to change the nickname? It's one or the other. If it changes, there is no compromise. If it is alterred perhaps, but alterred isn't the terms used and it seems like compromise isn't an option anyways.

Then it gets better. "UND is a great institution where Native Americans can go to get a great education" yet UND is also representative of everything the South represented during the Civil War apparently as the Fighting Sioux logo is our confederate flag. HUH? I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that that doesn't make sense.

You can't have it both ways.

I am open to changing the nickname. But I am:

1. Opposed to the anti-nickname crowd having any input on the name change.

2. For the name change crowd pays for some of the fees in changing the nickname.

3. Apart from those entitlements the Federal and State grants mandate and directly fund, all NA groups and organizations will no longer be treated any differently than white or other minority groups and organizations. Special treatment spreads hate as GK stated in a different thread. I don't think we should do that any more. So basically, unless mandated specifically, all NA ties should be severed the minute the nickname changes.

GK is right. All this special treatment isn't honoring their people. So it needs to end. The NA people can earn what they need now instead of having it given to them like they are some spoiled child in need of coddling.