SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I don't see VV leaving early but if he does he will see extended time in Springfield. By the way most guys do not make 100k in the AHL. I mean look at a guy like Danny Irmen who I would say had a better college career than VV. He has not yet sniffed a Wild jersey.

yeah 2 way contracts which most draft picks get are around 60-100 in the ahl and then its kicks way up around 450 minimum i believe in the nhl if i remember right. vv is a 4th round pick. many 4th rounders dont see the nhl and some do. some take 3 years and some take a year in the ahl. thats why nhl teams will sign a middle round pick after his junior year to get him in their systema and to see how their pick pans out. there isnt anythng wrong with leaving after your junior year if you aren nhl ready. theres a huge misconception with many college hockey fans that a player needs to be nhl ready in order to leave. thats far from the case and always has been

I don't see VV leaving early but if he does he will see extended time in Springfield. By the way most guys do not make 100k in the AHL. I mean look at a guy like Danny Irmen who I would say had a better college career than VV. He has not yet sniffed a Wild jersey.

That's kind of what I was getting at. If you feel you only need a year in the AHL, then by all means take the money if it is good. However, if you think it will take several years in the AHL, why not stay the extra year in college. You will still develop, and get to stay with your teamates you have spent the last 2-3 years with.

That's kind of what I was getting at. If you feel you only need a year in the AHL, then by all means take the money if it is good. However, if you think it will take several years in the AHL, why not stay the extra year in college. You will still develop, and get to stay with your teamates you have spent the last 2-3 years with.

that is right but also you take the risk of not getting signed by that team that drafted you if you do decide to stay 4 years so if edmonton presents a normal offer he could easily leave and that would be the right move on his part to get in their ahl system asap and play in a much higher level of hockey

At this point I would say Porter is better suited for the NHL than VV and he is still sitting in Peoria.....I don't see VV leaving early

At this point I would say Porter is better suited for the NHL than VV and he is still sitting in Peoria.....I don't see VV leaving early

i see him staying as well but if edmonton feels like they want him in the AHL next year to see what they have in him then he is gone and thats a very realistic possibility

theres a huge misconception with many college hockey fans that a player needs to be nhl ready in order to leave. thats far from the case and always has been

This is the point I've been trying to get across. It doesn't matter if your NHL ready or not. Are you going to tell me, that if an NHL franchise offers you the rookie maximum contract, your not going to take it even though you know your going to be in the AHL? If you get that max contract, you jump at it. It's all about maximizing your value. I cannot preach how important that is. Look at guys like Bickel, Piskula, etc. guys who won't spend more than a handful of games in the NHL. Guess what, they came out early because they got max contracts and you have no idea if that offer is going to be out there after the next season. You get injured, have a down year, that could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This is the point I've been trying to get across. It doesn't matter if your NHL ready or not. Are you going to tell me, that if an NHL franchise offers you the rookie maximum contract, your not going to take it even though you know your going to be in the AHL? If you get that max contract, you jump at it. It's all about maximizing your value. I cannot preach how important that is. Look at guys like Bickel, Piskula, etc. guys who won't spend more than a handful of games in the NHL. Guess what, they came out early because they got max contracts and you have no idea if that offer is going to be out there after the next season. You get injured, have a down year, that could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

exactly and thats my point as well. it has nothing to do with being nhl ready as not many players ever are unless you are oshie,toews, kessel and johnson ect.....

So if Forney came back, he would be a Junior?

Why would the Sioux want him back, is he that good or something???

They don't owe him anything, right?

Is there a past player that this happened to, or would this be a first, not trying to start crap, just very curious...

Rich T

No, I think he'd still have three years of eligibility remaining, so a sophomore.

he played 2 years so he will have 2 left starting next season making him a junior. will be great to see him back if so. he will have a new number and a new start :lol: and hes playing damn good tied for 13th in the ushl scoring with 37 pts

he played 2 years so he will have 2 left starting next season making him a junior

I understand all that, I remember some talk on here saying they might consider that one year as a Medical Redshirt...

Does UND even have a spot for him if he did want to come back...

Watch him go to the "Purple Cows" and smoke us the next 2 years...Is he playing college hockey next season?

I understand all that, I remember some talk on here saying they might consider that one year as a Medical Redshirt...

Watch him go to the "Purple Cows" and smoke us the next 2 years...Is he playing college hockey next season?

If I remember reading right, I read somewhere that he was actually somewhat healthy his sophomore year but the injuries he had previously held him back so I really can't see that a medical redshirt would work there. Forney has said nothing's been final yet but he hopes to be back at UND. Heisenberg has him listed as returning to UND though. UND would have room as there are a few forward recruits that could wait to come in. We shall see what develops.

If I remember reading right, I read somewhere that he was actually somewhat healthy his sophomore year but the injuries he had previously held him back so I really can't see that a medical redshirt would work there. Forney has said nothing's been final yet but he hopes to be back at UND. Heisenberg has him listed as returning to UND though. UND would have room as there are a few forward recruits that could wait to come in. We shall see what develops.

Thanks, this could be good info to follow...Is he a Watkins type player or more of a Martens?

Rich T

yes it was mentioned in brads blog he should be coming back next year a few weeks back and yes there is room if he does

they never mentioned they redshirted him at all and im sure we would have heard if he did so since we didnt he should have 2 years left as he played 2 years with the sioux. would be great to see him come back and be a nice contributor

Thanks, this could be good info to follow...Is he a Watkins type player or more of a Martens?

Rich T

i would say neither of those 2 players. i believe hes much more of a offensive player than both of those players if we see his true potential. taller forward with good skill. not sure who i would compare him to

i would say neither of those 2 players. i believe hes much more of a offensive player than both of those players if we see his true potential. taller forward with good skill. not sure who i would compare him to

Sounds good, sounds good...Someone needs to take Uncle Andy Kozek's job warming up Eidsness the next few years, why not Forney...

Would his return start back up the "Me so Forney" sign's at the Ralph??? Or was that for Chorney???

Rich T

Sounds good, sounds good...Someone needs to take Uncle Andy Kozek's job warming up Eidsness the next few years, why not Forney...

Would his return start back up the "Me so Forney" sign's at the Ralph??? Or was that for Chorney???

Rich T

it was chorney but it easily could switch with the resurgence of forney :lol: