SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

If Mattson does come in, he WILL struggle. Straight from high school players struggle their freshman seasons in the WCHA... period.

What about Oshie? 45pts his freshman season was hardly struggling. :D

Unless you count the 11 games he played in the USHL after his HS season ended as not being straight from HS. :D

Unless you count the 11 games he played in the USHL after his HS season ended as not being straight from HS. :D

Oshie is a rare story. A year in the USHL won't hurt him at all. The only thing is, if you bring a guy straight in from HS, he might be willing to spend an extra year at UND. Take Oshie for example there. If you make him play a year of USHL, he might have left after his sophomore season instead of his junior season. So, it's a risky move to bring him in early, but you might get that extra year out of a player if you think he can still develop at the WCHA instead of the USHL.

Strike that. As I've written before and I should have written in this case... SFHS players don't lead the WCHA in freshman scoring. Murray did it in 2004. Stastny did it in 2005. Kessel did it in 2006 (though Oshie did quite well). Nodl did it in 2007 (though Barribal did quite well). Roe did it in 2008. Let's assume that Schroeder will do it this season. Basically, I just don't think the bar should be set so high for SFHS players... sometimes the fans expect too much.

Also, don't write off those few games in the USHL so quickly. That kind of "taste" can be very helpful.

Technically, didn't Zach Parise (61pts), Brady Murray (46 pts) and Drew Stafford (32 pts) come directly out of high school too?

if you want to count shattuck as high school. i would say thats a step above highschool level if not a couple

Mattson and Holy Angels host Shattuck tomorrow. There'll probably be a ton of scouts in attendance; should be interesting to see how Mattson holds up against the elite competition. Earlier this year, he was in on all of AHA's 5 goals in a 2-game set with Culver, a Shattuck clone.

Edit: The game's at 2:30, so some of those scouts might well have Fighting Sioux jackets on.

Mattson and Holy Angels host Shattuck tomorrow. There'll probably be a ton of scouts in attendance; should be interesting to see how Mattson holds up against the elite competition. Earlier this year, he was in on all of AHA's 5 goals in a 2-game set with Culver, a Shattuck clone.

no doubt hes a top talent player. if the sioux only want 2 forward scratches per night they will keep rowney, knight and mattson in juniors but if they want 3 scratches per night then like brad said, knight or mattson come in. thats if forney is comign like mentioned. i have seen mattson play twice on tv and he is a nice player all around. he is top caliber himself and can hold his own vs shattuck but will the team be able to? ill say 5-3 shattuck with mattson in on all 3

would be a fun game to attend

are the reillys on holy angels twins? or just brothers? i see they are 92's

no doubt hes a top talent player. if the sioux only want 2 forward scratches per night they will keep rowney, knight and mattson in juniors but if they want 3 scratches per night then like brad said, knight or mattson come in. thats if forney is comign like mentioned. i have seen mattson play twice on tv and he is a nice player all around. he is top caliber himself and can hold his own vs shattuck but will the team be able to? ill say 5-3 shattuck with mattson in on all 3

would be a fun game to attend

are the reillys on holy angels twins? or just brothers? i see they are 92's

There are three of them..Juniors Ryan and Connor are twin brothers both forwards and Mike Reilly is a freshman defensemen

There are three of them..Juniors Ryan and Connor are twin brothers both forwards and Mike Reilly is a freshman defensemen

thanks, i see them listed at 5'5, 5'6 and 5'10 , ryan duncan size on a couple :D or they still could be growing. are they speedsters at that size?

Edit: The game's at 2:30, so some of those scouts might well have Fighting Sioux jackets on.

Game is at Richfield Arena for those of you in the Cities. Portland & 66th st

thanks, i see them listed at 5'5, 5'6 and 5'10 , ryan duncan size on a couple :D or they still could be growing. are they speedsters at that size?

The only one I paid much attention to was the freshman D while watching their games because of the fact that he was so small though I thought he was a very good player for only being a freshman.

Not sure if anyone was at the game, but Shattuck kicked AHA's ass 7-0. As for the Mattson situation, I usually favor playing juniors for a year, but it also depends on the situation (Oshie being an example). It will depend on where they think Mattson is developed compared to Knight and the type of foward they want to bring in, in other words Knight (who I've never seen play) could be a different style foward than Mattson.

Mattson will get drafted, likely >100. Knight probably not. That's a big leap in evaluation.

It's probably moot anyway - we probably have 1 too many F this year anyway and will probably only bring in 4.

If Vande leaves we will need a a 5th.

I dont see Vande leaving, not saying its not possible but I think he needs to develop atleast for one more year.

I dont see Vande leaving, not saying its not possible but I think he needs to develop atleast for one more year.

i assume you know hes a junior so one year is all he would have left at und before hitting up the AHL and hopefully the NHL someday for him. juts saying that as you said "at least"

more than likely he wont but you can never be positive. sometimes its a combine decision between the player/school and nhl team which can have the biggest say in these decisions. i think he stays as well and as usa has said it all depends on what type of forward the coaches want between mattson and knight for that final forward spot if they do want that many forwards in next year

i assume you know hes a junior so one year is all he would have left at und before hitting up the AHL and hopefully the NHL someday for him. juts saying that as you said "at least"

more than likely he wont but you can never be positive. sometimes its a combine decision between the player/school and nhl team which can have the biggest say in these decisions. i think he stays as well and as usa has said it all depends on what type of forward the coaches want between mattson and knight for that final forward spot if they do want that many forwards in next year

I know that hes a junior, I didnt mean it like that. I dont see the NHL calling his name after this year thats all, I meant he just needs more time to develop.

I know that hes a junior, I didnt mean it like that. I dont see the NHL calling his name after this year thats all, I meant he just needs more time to develop.

Your simply living in the 80's if you equate, readiness to leave school, to NHL teams signing a player away. VV is one of the top forwards in a fairly weak Oilers system. More and more teams are going to sign away players after their junior seasons for risk of losing them right after their senior seasons.

i hear ya and it wont be the nhl that comes calling as he will spend a couple years in the ahl before he gets a crack in the nhl. i agree he stays but if his nhl club wants him in the ahl then ya never know as you can develop in the ahl as well

I know this is going to get shelled as just wanting local boys on UND's team, but has anyone heard of any interest in Jake LaDouceur or any other ND players over the next 2-3 years? LaDouceur is having a great year and is still a Jr., so in 2-3 years he, if he still progresses, he would be a nice pick up.