SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

How about the looks of our 09 class so far

Kristo- Eden Praire

Gleason- Edina

Fink- Hopkins

Wasn't there an argument on this board a while back when Jackson was hired as the new assistant that three Canadian coaches would have a hard time recruiting the Minnesota boys from the Goofs.

How about the looks of our 09 class so far

Kristo- Eden Praire

Gleason- Edina

Fink- Hopkins

Wasn't there an argument on this board a while back when Jackson was hired as the new assistant that three Canadian coaches would have a hard time recruiting the Minnesota boys from the Goofs.

I think that as the popularity and quality of MNHSL hockey increases, so will the recruit poaching. That is, as Twin Cities area recruits become more plentiful, the Gophers just won't be able to recruit and retain them all, especially if they're increasingly going after the outstate kids (Helgason, Youso, Ness, Sacchetti). I don't think too much boasting or bashing will occur from this change in trend, as every D1 in the team has lost a recruit or two from their own backyards.

I take it all as a great sign for the future of WCHA hockey. UND, UMN, and UW will continue to land every blue chipper from this area. That is, of course, unless SCSU, UMD, and MSUM don't land them as raw recruits early. Basically, the recruit net is getting tighter, and fewer of the great prospects are slipping to CC, DU, and eastern teams. The preceeding is all opinion, of course, but the point is just that I'm optomistic about the future of all the area D1 teams.

Yeah that was brought up ealier this year. I am not sure how anyone could have come to that conclusion? :ohmy:;)

I mean really UND history and luster speak for itself.

A bit in Fink from the Grand Forks Herald

"I had never seen the rink up there and it was amazing," said Fink, who visited campus last Thursday with his father, Steve. "I fell in love with the coaching staff there all three of them. I like how the campus was small and the training facilities are unbelievable.

"I also have heard that North Dakota is the best place to go if you want to be a pro."

Fink said he also considered Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota. Growing up, he was a Gopher fan.

"I was. . . . until I walked into that arena," he said. "I'm really excited to play there."

Fink took Minnesota state high school hockey by storm this season, scoring 31 goals and adding 23 assists for 54 points in 25 games. He was held without a point just twice, while centering the top line for the 12-11-3 Royals.

He scored just five seconds into his first varsity shift and led his team to an 8-2 season-opening win over Minneapolis West. Fink had five goals and two assists in that game.

Sounds like a fantastic pick up for the Sioux! I love our coaches :lol: Can't wait to see him in a Sioux uniform

"I had never seen the rink up there and it was amazing," said Fink, who visited campus last Thursday with his father, Steve. "I fell in love with the coaching staff there all three of them. I like how the campus was small and the training facilities are unbelievable.

"I also have heard that North Dakota is the best place to go if you want to be a pro."

Fink said he also considered Minnesota-Duluth and Minnesota. Growing up, he was a Gopher fan.

"I was. . . . until I walked into that arena," he said. "I'm really excited to play there."

Thanks Ralph... again!

Another kid to consider coming in for the 2008-2009 season: Mario Lamoureux. I know you are all saying that I am a retard and that he committed to Northern Michigan, but with his brother attending Air Force next year, Mario was able to get out of his commitment and it going to play another year in the USHL. Hopefully he will want to stay close to home and will commit to the Sioux.

Another kid to consider coming in for the 2008-2009 season: Mario Lamoureux. I know you are all saying that I am a retard and that he committed to Northern Michigan, but with his brother attending Air Force next year, Mario was able to get out of his commitment and it going to play another year in the USHL. Hopefully he will want to stay close to home and will commit to the Sioux.

this has already been discussed here, he would be great to have but wasnt there a scholarship on the table for him last year or was that just rumored? who knows, he can play though

i still say phil is the only one who from that family who wears green and white but would love to see mario come in

I don't know, his stock has REALLY dropped. And UND has room for MAYBE 2 more players in 08, I would contend they don't need ANY.

I guess your half-truth is at least accurate. :D

Now let's go for the "full-truth".

According to my "semi-credible" source, (The) Nick Mattson will get offers from the Sioux and the Gophers after National Selects Camp. His decision COULD come shortly after. Supposedly, he "likes" UND. This kid would be a bigger "get" than Fink, but it's more up in the air.

OPINION ALERT: You can probably bank on the fact that Lucia & Co. will focus more attention on the remaining '09s after losing out on Fink... that probably means Nick Mattson, as well as Danny Mattson (also considering UW) and Ben Hanowski (also considering SCSU).

According to my "semi-credible" source, (The) Nick Mattson will get offers from the Sioux and the Gophers after National Selects Camp. His decision COULD come shortly after. Supposedly, he "likes" UND. This kid would be a bigger "get" than Fink, but it's more up in the air.

OPINION ALERT: You can probably bank on the fact that Lucia & Co. will focus more attention on the remaining '09s after losing out on Fink... that probably means Nick Mattson, as well as Danny Mattson (also considering UW) and Ben Hanowski (also considering SCSU).

I fail to see the correlation between Fink (a forward) going to UND and thus Lucia focusing more attention on Nick Mattson (a defenseman).

Interesting. Is Nick Mattson a 2009 for certain or could he be a 2010? Hanowski would also be a huge pickup for the Sioux. i suspect, but don't know, that Lucia would also be going after Zach Budish. In Hanowski's case, I hope he can visit Grand Forks before he makes his decision.

I fail to see the correlation between Fink (a forward) going to UND and thus Lucia focusing more attention on Nick Mattson (a defenseman).

In Nick's case, it could be more general attention, especially if he's the next recruit to commit. I forgot about Budish, you can add him to the list. He's also considering SCSU. I just have a feeling Budish could commit later than the other guys mentioned.

Interesting. Is Nick Mattson a 2009 for certain or could he be a 2010? Hanowski would also be a huge pickup for the Sioux. i suspect, but don't know, that Lucia would also be going after Zach Budish. In Hanowski's case, I hope he can visit Grand Forks before he makes his decision.

Sorry, I probably should have labelled Nick as an '10, but he's a good candidate to accelerate his studies while he's at Ann Arbor.

i like how you use a bunch of quotations and not for sure wording :lol:. im just kidding though. thats what i love about ss... people like you that come and post good info on recruits.

i like how you use a bunch of quotations and not for sure wording :lol:. im just kidding though. thats what i love about ss... people like you that come and post good info on recruits.

Thanks... I think. Except for one player and another player's family member I don't actually communicate with any of these kids. When they give me information that I find interesting, I assume that others might find it interesting as well. I don't want to back anybody (including myself) into a corner, so it's safer to just understate the information. Admittedly, Hammy (and guys like him) have information that is WAY more solid, but on occasion I can tell him something he doesn't already know. ;) In fact, I've already told him a couple of things that I wouldn't DREAM of posting on a message board.

...In fact, I've already told him a couple of things that I wouldn't DREAM of posting on a message board.

Please tell me you're not whispering sweet nothings in to Hammy's ear. Like pillow talk. :lol:

In Nick's case, it could be more general attention, especially if he's the next recruit to commit. I forgot about Budish, you can add him to the list. He's also considering SCSU. I just have a feeling Budish could commit later than the other guys mentioned.

Any word on where Landman is leaning? He seems like he should be a kid mentioned in the same breath as the other guys you have named.

so does this mean Danny Mattson, Budish and Hanowski are not considering und?