SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

AZSIOUX,

Your information is a little bit outdated. Most of the USNTDP roster has been set. Budish, Fink, and Schmidt are NOT on it. Mattson was the only Minnesotan invited (so far). You're correct that Budish would turn it down regardless, but Schmidt and Fink would have accepted in a heartbeat.

USHR reports said Mattson was the "best" defenseman at the camp over Cam Fowler and Bjorn Krupp (who is indeed thee son of the German who played for Buffalo). You guys should really be getting excited about (The) Nick Mattson. A little birdie says he'll be visiting this weekend.

Mattson is indeed being courted by four WCHA schools, but as you could probably have guessed, it's mostly down to the Sioux and the Gophers (leaning towards the Palace on the Prairie). Fink is also choosing between the two schools, but is a lot closer to making his final decision, and apparently he's seeing green. Again (for Hammy's sake), all this is coming from a "semi-reliable" source.

USHR reports said Mattson was the "best" defenseman at the camp over Cam Fowler and Bjorn Krupp (who is indeed thee son of the German who played for Buffalo). You guys should really be getting excited about (The) Nick Mattson. A little birdie says he'll be visiting this weekend.

Mattson is indeed being courted by four WCHA schools, but as you could probably have guessed, it's mostly down to the Sioux and the Gophers (leaning towards the Palace on the Prairie). Fink is also choosing between the two schools, but is a lot closer to making his final decision, and apparently he's seeing green.

Great news on Mattson and Fink. Hopefully the source proves to be reliable. :ohmy:

They would be great additions to the 2009 and 2010 classes. Mattson sounds like a great player, especially being with how young he still is.

You mean ANOTHER Christmas... because I'm pretty sure it was Christmas was Oshie, Duncan, Chorney, and Finley announced they were coming back ;)

no, that was Christmas Eve and getting to open presents early. Christmas Day is when Toews announces that he is staying. If that doesn't happen then those four staying can be Christmas Day. :ohmy:

I hope these two are seeing green, and not maroon.

I'm sure he could still play for crookston if he really worked hard over the summer :ohmy:

I just think its funny that the kid hasn't even show up yet and we have some red river high school kid saying that Malone is over-rated, so over-rated the CSB ranked him 57th overall.. The more this kid talks the more Malone shines. I think its poetic justice.

I just think its funny that the kid hasn't even show up yet and we have some red river high school kid saying that Malone is over-rated, so over-rated the CSB ranked him 57th overall.. The more this kid talks the more Malone shines. I think its poetic justice.

Please dont encourage him to talk anymore :ohmy:

I don't think this has been talked about at all but since Mario Lamoureux re-opened his recruitment and plans to play in the USHL again next year does anyone know or think that he may become a Fighting Sioux now or are we out of room for him.

I don't think this has been talked about at all but since Mario Lamoureux re-opened his recruitment and plans to play in the USHL again next year does anyone know or think that he may become a Fighting Sioux now or are we out of room for him.

dont know, did we have a scholarship waiting for him and he chose to go to no. mich with hs bro until he got re admitted to the air force?

something tells me phil is the only family member that will be wearing green and white and he was damn close to not wearing it as well. mario can play so best of luck to wherever he goes.

dont know, did we have a scholarship waiting for him and he chose to go to no. mich with hs bro until he got re admitted to the air force?

something tells me phil is the only family member that will be wearing green and white and he was damn close to not wearing it as well. mario can play so best of luck to wherever he goes.

Only family, maybe.

Only one with that last name, maybe not.

i doubt it, even 08 is getting full...isnt it just david toews and maybe one more, then und would be full?

i believe after davids commitment there will be one more spot open for '08(pending early departures there will be more)

Kinda gettin' ahead of ourselves on that commitment there... The # of spots will depend on whether JT and TJ stay for their senior years... :ohmy: I think there are a number of 08s that would be asked to come in 09. Derek Lee and DT would probably be 08s for certain.

There are better fowards out still out there for 2008 (ie Toews and Lee). If they still need to fill a foward spot, Kristo is a June of 90 birthday and could come in 08 if they needed him. Besides Toews, Lee, and if they're are interested in Zajac, I think the recruiting class is pretty much done for 08. With the running for Mattson, Fink, and Buddish, ect. 09 is the big recruiting battle right now.

There are better fowards out still out there for 2008 (ie Toews and Lee). If they still need to fill a foward spot, Kristo is a June of 90 birthday and could come in 08 if they needed him. Besides Toews, Lee, and if they're are interested in Zajac, I think the recruiting class is pretty much done for 08. With the running for Mattson, Fink, and Buddish, ect. 09 is the big recruiting battle right now.

2 of 3 would be great but i say we get..i say mattson and buddish

and

fink :ohmy:

Latest Update of players the Sioux may be interested in. I don't see us getting another goalie until 2009 at the earliest. We have very few spots if any for 2008 so some 2008s may be asked to defer to 2009. I bolded the players that I feel would be a huge pickup for the Sioux. I'll add a couple of names prior to the announcement

2007:

I think this is done give the number of returning players.

2008:

Almost certainly some 2008s will defer to 2009

Forwards:

David Toews - Shattuck-St. Mary's - Obviously

Derek Lee - Salmon Arm BCHL - One of the Top Forwards available

Troy Power - Tri-City (USHL) - From West Coast, smaller, faster forward.

Adam Comrie - Omaha (USHL) - Plays on Bruneteau's team

Stephan Novotny - Shattuck-St. Mary's - Seems to have come on more, plays on Toews' line I believe.

Joe Colborne - Camrose AJHL - The Sioux have been looking incresingly to the AJHL, he is a top player there

Cam Lamoreux - Drumheller AJHL - Family Ties

Kelly Zajac - Salmon Arm BCHL - Family Ties, not as highly regarded as Darcy.

Justin Johnson - Eau Claire N. HS - I know nothing

Travis Hamonic - Winnipeg (MJHL) - I know nothing, but great player in Sioux country.

Colin Phaneuf - Winnipeg (MJHL) - I know nothing, but great player in Sioux country (any relation to the NHL all-star)?.

Steele Boomer - Ft.Saskatchewan (AJHL) - Matt Frattin's teammate.

August Aiken - Westside (BCHL) - 87 birthdate so I doubt the Sioux will be able to find room before he is 22.

Defense:

Brett Kostolansky - Shattuck-St. Mary's - Top defender, but I'm not sure we will have room.

Damon Kipp - Salmon Arm (BCHL) - Bigger BCHL defender.

2009: (Likely a HUGE class with many forwards)

Forwards:

Zack Budish - Edina - lets hope Finley and Gleason are doing some talking

Ben Hanowski - Little Falls - Gopher fan with a Sioux coach, if he gives us a chance I think he will see that UND fits his style and development needs better.

Mike Fink - Hopkins

Sam Alfieri - Shattuck St.Mary's - yet another great Shattuck Forward

Tyler Landman - Roseau - Smaller dynamic forward.

Defense:

Nick Mattson - Chaska HS/USNTDP

Ben Hughes - Shattuck-St. Mary's - I know nothing

Ben Montgomery - Shattuck-St. Mary's - I know nothing