SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Dude, you can't be serious with that statement.

I could not agree more with Bring Back Dean. Aaron Marvin is being recruited for his size and his size only. If you ever saw him play, he really is not that great. He did not do much in the Elite League and was never dominant for Warroad. Paul Weisgarber has always outplayed him from Squirts through Bantams, and into high school and the Elite League. Yet, Paul Weisgarber gets very few looks because of his size. The only plausible reason is that Marvin is big and has "potential" because of his size, much like James Massen. In my opinion, he is not and never has been in Jordy Christian's class. Jordy has unbelieveable hands and about the quickest 3 steps you will ever see. Please recall that Jason Blake had to play 2 years in the USHL and was recruited only by Ferris State. David Hoosteen was only recruited by one D1 school (UND) after leading the USHL in scoring. The preoccupation with size is even worse for kids still in high school than kids who have already played in the USHL. Jordy will be a special player. Aaron Marvin will be average at best.

I'd have to disagree with you. Aaron Marvin is a very talented power forward. Lee was not a third round NHL pick, and was not as good of a high school player.

IMO Aaron Marvin is a much more complete player than Weisgarber. For his size he skates well and has good hands. He plays with the same energy Oshie did in HS and I think he will be a good 2-3 year college player and have a good chance at an NHL career.

Jordy Christian is a more talented player as far as speed goes, but from what I have seen Marvin sees the ice better, has just as good hands, a better shot and is a better playmaker.

Something we can all agree on - why the heck would either player want to play at PCU?

I could not agree more with Bring Back Dean. Aaron Marvin is being recruited for his size and his size only. If you ever saw him play, he really is not that great. He did not do much in the Elite League and was never dominant for Warroad. Paul Weisgarber has always outplayed him from Squirts through Bantams, and into high school and the Elite League. Yet, Paul Weisgarber gets very few looks because of his size. The only plausible reason is that Marvin is big and has "potential" because of his size, much like James Massen. In my opinion, he is not and never has been in Jordy Christian's class. Jordy has unbelieveable hands and about the quickest 3 steps you will ever see. Please recall that Jason Blake had to play 2 years in the USHL and was recruited only by Ferris State. David Hoosteen was only recruited by one D1 school (UND) after leading the USHL in scoring. The preoccupation with size is even worse for kids still in high school than kids who have already played in the USHL. Jordy will be a special player. Aaron Marvin will be average at best.

Hopefully they have suitable replacements for the next couple of years like Colin Wilson, Jason Gregoire, David Toews and Kelsey Tessier. Giving other programs inroads to traditional recruiting areas can sometimes hurt beyond the current recruits. I am sure there are some recruits out there from Grand Forks that may want to go to Minnesota based on Ryan Potulny & Danny Irmen's success.

Hopefully they have suitable replacements for the next couple of years like Colin Wilson, Jason Gregoire, David Toews and Kelsey Tessier. Giving other programs inroads to traditional recruiting areas can sometimes hurt beyond the current recruits. I am sure there are some recruits out there from Grand Forks that may want to go to Minnesota based on Ryan Potulny & Danny Irmen's success.

Ben Winnett and Ryan Malone as well...

Not meant as a slam, but how much better is Aaron Marvin at this stage of his career than Lee Marvin was? It would be nice to get local guys but it is not good to pick someone solely because they are local. If he is better than I think, then hats off to St Cloud as they have stole two recruits that many thought were coming to UND (Christian and Marvin). I think that two or three years down the line, Jordy is the one that UND will wish that they got not Aaron Marvin.

Lee Marvin is a much better actor

Toews and Tessier would be big pick-ups for the Sioux.

Let's hope that we can get them...

The question is how will the cheating incident affect their status if at all? Not sure, but obviously opposing fans will be all over it.

The question is how will the cheating incident affect their status if at all? Not sure, but obviously opposing fans will be all over it.

I don't think it will bother UND. They were/are kids. Kids make mistakes. We don't know them so we can't judge them. I think everyone cheated in high school, they just got caught and had more harsh punishments. But really, does it matter what other fans think, as long as the Sioux beat their teams ass out on the ice?

It didn't seem to hurt Bobby Goephert.

It didn't seem to hurt Bobby Goephert.

No, but the razzing of Goephert seems to have died down. I don't think the stuff with Bochenski died down until, what, half a season after he left UND?

For some reason, UND (and to a certain extent UMN) has the stigma of being "holier than thou" and when Lucia or Hakstol goes out and recruits a player who will be great for their perspective teams, talk and address any character issues before offering a scholarship, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Oh well. If Tessier and Toews commit to UND I'll be happy, but I'm sure we'll have plenty of skippy alerts over their past.

Lee Marvin played in the USHL when he was in 11th grade. Aaron Marvin scored only 9 goals when he was in grade 11. I think thats what some people are saying when they say Lee was better at his age than Aaron is now. Jordy can't make a USHL team (although it looks like he has a good chance to make Sioux Falls this year). St Cloud is takeing a BIG chance on these guys because they are unproven at the next level.

UND is still getting the best local talent just look at Lee, Oshie, Vandevelde and Forney. Hopefully Mario is next.

Lee Marvin played in the USHL when he was in 11th grade. Aaron Marvin scored only 9 goals when he was in grade 11. I think thats what some people are saying when they say Lee was better at his age than Aaron is now. Jordy can't make a USHL team (although it looks like he has a good chance to make Sioux Falls this year). St Cloud is takeing a BIG chance on these guys because they are unproven at the next level.

UND is still getting the best local talent just look at Lee, Oshie, Vandevelde and Forney. Hopefully Mario is next.

HUH?!?!?! Aaron was a junior this past year and he was the leading scorer for Warroad (15-23-38). Sounds like some sour grapes to me. As far as Christian goes, I thought I read that he WANTS to play his senior year at Moorhead. Maybe I am wrong. Taking a BIG chance? I guess that means Calgary took a big leap on him too. :ohmy:

HUH?!?!?! Aaron was a junior this past year and he was the leading scorer for Warroad (15-23-38). Sounds like some sour grapes to me. As far as Christian goes, I thought I read that he WANTS to play his senior year at Moorhead. Maybe I am wrong. Taking a BIG chance? I guess that means Calgary took a big leap on him too. :ohmy:

Where are you getting that information? The Warroad stats page from the Section 8a website says that Marvin had 9-21-30 points in 23 games. See www.section8ahockey.com/warroadrost.htm.

I don't think Ryan Malone has any elegibility left now that he's with the Penguins. His cousin Brad would be a good recruit though!

Thanks for that. :ohmy:

BTW, you signed up just to post that. You'll fit in well here. :lol::lol:

Edit: I saw Aaron Marvin play as a Soph in the State Championship Game. He look great (2nd best player on the ice).

i honestly feel that marvin and christian arent losses for UND...look at what kind of talent we have on the boards for the next coming years...i dont know that UND was trying super hard for those two. but i could be wrong...anyway we need to start focusing more on uncommitted.

on another note...with all of the players going pro from UND, to me that makes UND look even better than anyone else...if i was a top D1 recruit, it would be between 5 powerhouse schools at the most, because they can pump out those nhl players. IMO UND is THE school to be at for kids who want to go pro.