SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Making a judgement on any young player based on his previous "points" is pointless :D Unreal that many are so quickly disappointed :silly:

He may very well bring the grit, determinition, and 3-4 year leadership that many have been asking for in a lineup full of blue chippers.

I agree with you here. I'm pretty happy with the news. As jk pointed out, the guy has excellent speed, and apparently a heck of a work ethic. He'll probably be here all 4 years, so DAR will be happy. Sounds like he has upside, even if we don't see it right away. There's room for that in a successful program (see Denver a couple of years ago).

I'll take him.

There is not another team that has come close to losing 5 players. I know what the come back is, you recruit great players and they are likely to leave early. Well last I checked the Badgers won the national title and they have only lost one guy. The best goalie in the NCAA's is still in school. There is just no loyalty at all anymore and as a grad and big Sioux hockey, the Sioux seem to get the worst of it. Last I checked the last time we won the national title was in 2000 and how many top NHL picks did we have....I don't think there was one first rounder on the whole team. But that team had heart and were more interested in winning the national title than where they were drafted and how fast they could jump to the NHL. Just my opinion though..........It is just very frustrating to go from a top national title contender to a team with a lot of holes in a few months. Not that it is unexpected, I am not naive but it is as a fan of the Sioux and not the NHL that leads to my frustration.

well said Dar - It has been Fun to see Greene & Commie in the play offs & now playing for the cup - But I'd take a solid bunch of hard workers that have a shot at the NCAA Title - Greene & Commie & Parises & other pro prospects have not give us one in a long time - close but that only counts in Darts - Hand grenedes - Horseshoes & makin luv :silly::D..... :D

Making a judgement on any young player based on his previous "points" is pointless :D Unreal that many are so quickly disappointed :silly:

He may very well bring the grit, determinition, and 3-4 year leadership that many have been asking for in a lineup full of blue chippers.

Sprig makes a good point here. If I remember correctly last year some were discounting Oshie's achievements in Minn. High School Hockey. He scored 100 points his senior year and people said "he didn't play anybody", and "single A hockey isn't as competitive, so scoring all those point doesn't really mean much", "he can't skate very well", "boy, he better put on some weight before he gets here", "he's only coming cause Murray's leaving" ect., ect. Well, we all can see how that turned out, so like I've said so many times before, let them get on the ice and play before we decide if we are dissapointed or not.

well said Dar - It has been Fun to see Greene & Commie in the play offs & now playing for the cup - But I'd take a solid bunch of hard workers that have a shot at the NCAA Title - Greene & Commie & Parises & other pro prospects have not give us one in a long time - close but that only counts in Darts - Hand grenedes - Horseshoes & makin luv :silly::D..... :D

Commodore gave "us" a title in 2000. That is not that long ago.

I agree with you here. I'm pretty happy with the news. As jk pointed out, the guy has excellent speed, and apparently a heck of a work ethic. He'll probably be here all 4 years, so DAR will be happy. Sounds like he has upside, even if we don't see it right away. There's room for that in a successful program (see Denver a couple of years ago).

I'll take him.

I agree also. Prior point totals is never and will never be a a perfect representation of what type of impact a player in the WCHA will have.

I'm with dagies, I'll take him also.

Commodore gave "us" a title in 2000. That is not that long ago.

;) god forbid our last title was such a longggggggggg time ago in 2000, hope you just forgot that commie got us a title :D only 1 team can win it all each year and we have had at least a 1 in 4 chance in 4 of the last 7 years..not to bad if you ask me and probably many many others.....

It took Denver 30 plus years to finally win it in 2004, it took Minnesota 20 plus years to finally win it in 2002, and it took Wisconsin 16 years to finally win it in 2006. All three of these programs are considered to be right with UND as the best all-time, I don't think six years is too long of a wait.

I have trouble remembering last couple of Years :D

& I want to win Every Year :silly:

I think were headed for balance ;)

:D get the old memory box checked ;)

i think we ALL want to win every year..dont we?? i also think we need to be realistic as well...we are very talented and will have another great season next year!!

At first glance, Shea Hamilton doesn't look like a player with a huge offensive upside. But we all know that numbers aren't always how you judge a player, and can sometimes be deceiving. Could be the case with him as well, as you can probably multiply his point totals by three, considering the system and the number of goals Alaska puts up as a team.

At first glance, Shea Hamilton doesn't look like a player with a huge offensive upside. But we all know that numbers aren't always how you judge a player, and can sometimes be deceiving. Could be the case with him as well, as you can probably multiply his point totals by three, considering the system and the number of goals Alaska puts up as a team.

im sure there are 4 or 5 guys at alaska that could be 30 point or more players in the wcha, sucks for them. hell move alaska out to another league and move bemidji state in the wcha. makes sense all around. bsu can beat half of the wcha anyways and can give all the top teams a run for their money on any given night. it also makes sense travel wise

this kid will be a nice addition as well :silly:

I don't know. 7 goals in 19 games as a freshman? That translates to 14 goals in 38 games (a fairly reasonable # of games for UND). I'd take that as a freshman. It's possible he wouldn't get all the PP time though, so maybe those numbers would suffer at UND. Still, it's hard to expect too much. It usually takes 2 to have a personality conflict that ends up with a guy missing most of the end of the season. I trust the coaches aren't going to be picking up someone else's dirty laundry without a fair degree of confidence that it's a good idea. So I will hope for the best.

I don't know. 7 goals in 19 games as a freshman? That translates to 14 goals in 38 games (a fairly reasonable # of games for UND). I'd take that as a freshman. It's possible he wouldn't get all the PP time though, so maybe those numbers would suffer at UND. Still, it's hard to expect too much. It usually takes 2 to have a personality conflict that ends up with a guy missing most of the end of the season. I trust the coaches aren't going to be picking up someone else's dirty laundry without a fair degree of confidence that it's a good idea. So I will hope for the best.

I'd bet he's heard from the coaches and players that bad attitude will earn you a seat in the stands. No matter what caused the problems at UAA, he'll have to perform here with a good attitude, or take that seat. Doesn't appear the Sioux will have a shortage of good players that will take your spot if you bring a bad attitude to practice and games.

Maybe Bishop will work out. I'd love another guy like Spiewak on our team.

As for Hamilton, I was pretty darn impressed with him his freshman campaign and I didn't see him falling out like he did. That being said, I hope he isn't a head case because I don't think we need dead weight on this team. As for this year, he'll provide a great practice winger for the team (or is that not allowed?)

Maybe Bishop will work out. I'd love another guy like Spiewak on our team.

As for Hamilton, I was pretty darn impressed with him his freshman campaign and I didn't see him falling out like he did. That being said, I hope he isn't a head case because I don't think we need dead weight on this team. As for this year, he'll provide a great practice winger for the team (or is that not allowed?)

im pretty sure they can practice, just NO games....

I am very excited about what we have brought in the past few days, with Anthony Grieco, Hunter Bishop, and Shea Hamilton. We got what is supposedly a very good goalie, and 2 probable four-year players.

Grieco is still 17, and will be until November I believe. He was voted MVP of his team's playoff run, by his teammates. Special honor if you ask me. He had a save % of around .906 in what is normally a very offensive league. He played for Wellington in the OPJHL(Ontario). Same league that Andrew Cogliano of Michigan lit up before he went to Michigan.

Bishop played on the same Vernon team as Chay Genoway, who is also coming next year. Bishop is supposedly one of the fastest players ever to run through the league. He prides himself on always being the hardest worker on the ice, but he might get some competition next year :silly: . I am very excited about him because he will probably be a four year player similar to Kevin Spiewak(my favorite Sioux player in a long time...other then Toews). He should be a great addition.

I don't know a lot about Hamilton. He transferred here from Anchorage after putting up 7 points there. That can be deceiving though because their leading scorer only put up 15 points. He apparently had some issues with the coach and was benched because of those issues and ill-timed penalties. I suspect that Hakstol knows what he is doing with this one. The kid will also have a year to mature, as he is not eligible to play until 2007-2008 season.

We really landed some good players that have been yearned for around here. Players that will stay for four years probably. And what shocks me is some people are disappointed with what we got. Those are the same people who complain that there is no loyalty and we need players who actually "want" to be here. (That argument is an absolute joke, but that's for another time). More excitement for this coming season.

these 3 additions sound good to me! i love watching FAST skaters...

any word on which way Mario Lamoureux is leaning??

Haven't heard anything yet, other then he has a scholarship offer from UND for next year, and Red Deer(his brother plays there) of the WHL is trying to get him into Major Juniors. Tough to tell. Which brother does he like more, Philippe, or PJ :silly:

Haven't heard anything yet, other then he has a scholarship offer from UND for next year, and Red Deer(his brother plays there) of the WHL is trying to get him into Major Juniors. Tough to tell. Which brother does he like more, Philippe, or PJ :silly:

cool, thx for the info. now is there another that was denied at air force?? confusing bunch :D also are they american or canadian? i know they grew up in g-froks but for some reason wasn't sure...the reason i ask is i can see the twin sisters that are tearing it up at shattuck right now playing in the olympics in the future and was wondering what team they would play for if so....

cool, thx for the info. now is there another that was denied at air force?? confusing bunch :D also are they american or canadian? i know they grew up in g-froks but for some reason wasn't sure...the reason i ask is i can see the twin sisters that are tearing it up at shattuck right now playing in the olympics in the future and was wondering what team they would play for if so....

Jacques, who played for the Bismarck Bobcats, was headed for Air Force. They then found out he had depression, and wouldn't allow him in. He will be going to Northern Michigan(IIRC) instead. Kind of a sad story.

From what I have heard, the family is French-Canadian. The parents are anyways. The kids were all born in the US I believe, and are American Citizens. I'm not 100 percent sure on that so if anyone else knows anything different, feel free.

Jacques, who played for the Bismarck Bobcats, was headed for Air Force. They then found out he had depression, and wouldn't allow him in. He will be going to Northern Michigan(IIRC) instead. Kind of a sad story.

From what I have heard, the family is French-Canadian. The parents are anyways. The kids were all born in the US I believe, and are American Citizens. I'm not 100 percent sure on that so if anyone else knows anything different, feel free.

well,duh French-Canadian!(dont take it personal or something,just joking) With names like Jacques,Philippe,Monique,Mario,etc. what nationality would you think they were? :D

well,duh French-Canadian!(dont take it personal or something,just joking) With names like Jacques,Philippe,Monique,Mario,etc. what nationality would you think they were? :D

uhhhh, some instances players can choose wich country they play for..ala brady murray in the world juniors he played for the usa...thats all my question was intended towards