• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Kojich, Executive Associate Vice President for University

Relations, (701) 777-4426

The University's appeal and attachments can be found at

www.universityrelations.UND.edu/logoappeal.

UND Sends Appeal To NCAA

The University of North Dakota today [Tuesday, Aug. 30] sent its appeal

to the NCAA Executive Committee, which lumped UND into a group of 18

universities and colleges that would no longer be allowed to use its

team name and logo in post-season tournament play.

President Charles Kupchella said the appeal is framed around three

basic arguments

* The nickname and logo are used with the utmost respect and class and

are in no way inherently hostile or abusive.

* UND has many substantive positive relationships with American Indians

and the University has had -- and continues to have -- the support,

including the formal support, of many Indian people.

* The University believes it is "totally unreasonable for the NCAA to

ask us to change the terms of a contract in place whereby we would host

the regional Division I men's hockey tournament in the spring."

Kupchella said he expects a "quick and positive" decision from the

NCAA. "We have articulated a strong case for an appeal that will

entirely refute any sense that we somehow use our nickname and logo in

an abusive and-or hostile manner. In fact, just the opposite is true.

We use the nickname and logo with consummate respect. Our logo is a

classical image of an 18th and 19th century American Indian, and it was

designed by a well-respected American Indian artist, Bennett Brien.

Based on the subcommittee's action in overturning the decision for

Florida State University, I expect that we'll have a favorable

decision," Kupchella said.

The University's relationship with the American Indian people is far

more substantive and fundamental than the use of a nickname, Kupchella

said. He said UND enrolls more than 400 American Indian students and

has more than 25 programs - "probably proportionately more than any

institution of higher education in the United States" - designed to

support American Indian students. Over the years, UND has had dozens of

cooperative programs in the fields of education, health care, economic

development, etc. with the tribes throughout our region, he added.

Kupchella said the contract between UND and the NCAA where UND will

host a hockey tournament in March is another issue in the University's

appeal. Requiring UND to significantly change of the venue would be a

violation of the contract, said Kupchella. In the appeal, Kupchella

wrote: "We certainly have no intention, in any case, of covering images

at the site of the regional ice hockey tournament. To do so would imply

that we are somehow ashamed of an 80-year history of one of the

nation's most successful athletic programs and of our link to the

proud heritage of this region."

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and exactly how long it will take.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To my knowledge, no other schools have formally filed appeals. I don't see why UND shouldn't get a quick decision. Then again, this is the NCAA, so who knows?

What's your take on the hockey tournament part of the appeal.

I hope not too much emphasis was placed on the March 2006 Tournament. I could see the NCAA say "ok, we had a contract with you, we will honor that" but your appeal to keep the name past that time is denied.

It seems to touch all the points that are necessary, like somebody else said.

My only complaint would be that the word "probably" is used in places where it shouldn't.

When discussing discrimination due to race, he says "but also probably illegal."

And when he mentioned there are 400 American Indian students, he says "probably proportionately more than any institution of higher education in the United States."

These things should have been further researched. Get a lawyer to find out if it truly is illegal and find out if it is the highest proportion or maybe just "nearly" the highest, proportionately.

I tend to like the appeal. It builds a strong case, addresses some of the current discussions/disagreements regarding the use of Indian names/logos and puts the NC$$ into a nice, neat box over the use of the FSU mascot. I'm especially pleased that, unlike FSU, UND did not hang its hat on the support of any tribe or band. I also like the fact that they pushed the point that "Indian names" prevade the nation in various ways.

I understand the Spirit Lake tribe will be drafting a resolution tonight saying they no longer support the nickname.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Similar to the element of the appeal that addressed the whims and fancies of various administrations, and how the name should not rest of their "approval".

I also like that they didn't mention support from tribes, but instead Indian people.

I understand the Spirit Lake tribe will be drafting a resolution tonight saying they no longer support the nickname.

I guess they can only take so much bullying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this true?

Reading UND's appeal they've sent some not-so-subtle messages of what would come after this.

Since the policy includes references to Indians but not to Vikings or Irish, it discriminates on the basis of race, which is not only wrong but also probably illegal.
Who is empowered to grant or deny the use of words in the public domain? Who controls the use of Irish, Scandinavians (Vikings), Mountaineers,

The possible Spirit lake Tribe reversal is not good, but I haven't really let this bother me too much. After all, the NCAA CANNOT make UND change the name. They can only have us cover up logos, wear different jerseys and the like. It stinks, but I can put up with it... maybe even donate an extra c-note for playoff jerseys. No matter what, UND will remain the home of the Fighting Sioux, end of story.

If the NCAA doesn't grant an exemption, I can't wait for UND to sue their a$$es. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I personally don't think nationalities or ethnicities should be able to exclusively control their images, words, etc. However, what I think is undoubtedly much different than what the NCAA decionmakers think, who have said that tribe approval is going to be the primary factor in the appeal.

The support of at least one tribe could have, at least, given the NCAA something to hang it's hat on if it were inclined to take UND off the list for other reasons. If there are no tribes left supporting the name, then I just can't envision the NCAA granting the appeal.

I think many of you are giving the NCAA too much credit. Just because their decision looks foolish to most people and just because we see all sorts of holes in it, does not mean the NCAA executive committee sees it the same way. I have little doubt that most of the people on the committee have waived bye-bye to reality and common sense a long time ago. In their insulated world on college campuses amongst university administrators and professors, their decision did not go far enough.

As I've continued to say, the NCAA will have no problem with the readily apparent hypocricy of giving FSU, Utah, and Central Michigan a pass, while denying UND's appeal. While defending attacks from both sides, they will simply pass responsibility to the namesake tribes.

I think the ncaa really screwed up on this they make this huge thing about logo's and you know every big div 1a collage will get by but these smaller collages they sit there and drag it on for weeks or years when they dident evan do good job saying why they dont want the logo's and how the fighting irash dident get in the list they dident evan ask any native american people im guessing if there offended

i know i spelt my name wrong

IF UND doesn't win a reversal and subsequently loses a few football road playoff games that would have been at home, I'd expect to sentiment around keeping the name start to change.  I would certainly question whether the potential was worth it well before the scenario came about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly what the NCAA intended.

I hope the sentiment doesn't change unless and untill all remedies are completely exhausted, including administrative, legal, and political.