SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. NDSU again?

UND92,96

I love how this rivalry makes the coaches act like children. It's just a reflection of the whole Grand Forks-Fargo thing. UND asks NDSU if they want to start the rivalry up again and the Bison response is "NO! You acted like poopheads last time, you can't play with my ball anymore!". UND acted similiar when NDSU was going DI. You expect it out of second graders, but when coaches and AD's at colleges do it, it's rather pathetic.

Buning said UND would be at a competitive disadvantage, but that could also spur a debate about UND’s athletic future.

“It might help discussion where the right place to be is for this program,” he said.

IMO, the above comments indicate Buning is positioning UND for DI, with a strong probability that UND/NDSU/SDSU would be accepted into the Big Sky for 2008-9. For that to happen, UND would have a transitional year in 2007-8, when scheduling will be very difficult. That is the year that Buning needs to prepare for and NDSU games would be important then. Even though NDSU needs the cash from any games as much as UND does, they don’t want to sacrifice the DI pedestal they’ve established if they lose to a DII team, nor do they want to enhance any transition year for UND.

If UND does indeed go DI, it would be interesting how former NCC schools schedule UND, especially during the transition year. With few exceptions, NCC schools blackballed NDSU and SDSU. largely, IMO, because of issues of how thing were handled at the presidential level.

What are you talking about, BigGame? The truth finally comes out and you think it makes NDSU look bad! NDSU wanted the game at first, UND, with RT and C-Kup, wanted to make NDSU's transition as miserable as possible, declined to play the game. Now UND wants the game again, please tell how that makes NDSU and the AD look bad.

How long before UND moves to D1AA and proves NDSU right? I would think that the alumni would be having a hissy fit about now. How many times will you play Minot State and University of Mary and the Bison play Minnesota and Iowa before there is a major uproar?

At least it shows that Bunning is coming into his position with a positive and open mind. Looks like he is starting to try and rebuild some of the bridges RT burned. I had to laugh when I read Amy Ruley's comment about UND not being professional. Hopefully both sides can stop the petty bickering and begin to work something out. I think it would be nice to even just see a baseball, softball, or volleyball game in the next few years. Hopefully this is the first step in renewing a rivalry built out of respect instead of spite.

These Buning quotes were from an AP story that's in the Herald:

"To me, it's sad we had a rivalry and it's lost," said Tom Buning, who is encouraging all coaches to try and schedule the Bison.

"Somebody's got to give and if there's something we can do to take the lead of a goodwill gesture, we will," Buning said.

I agree with Diggler, the Bison fans who were ripping on UND's coaches for being immature about NDSU's transition must be a little embarrassed at seeing the NDSU coaches' and AD's reciprocal juvenile tirades.

I'm glad to see Buning trying to rise above the fray and reaching out, I think we have ourselves a good guy there. Now that it's no longer punitive to UND's playoff chances to play NDSU, I'd love to see the game picked back up, no doubt it was and would again be UND's most important non-playoff game each year.

If, as star2city speculated, it's part of a long-term plan to look at I-AA, all the better.

The funny thing is when Bison fans talk about their games with the likes of Minn, Iowa.  They sound like they are going to be competitive.  Yes, they will get exposure, but a different kind of exposure than what they are wanting.  I'm guessing the 57-3 beatings they will take aren't what they had in mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with ya there, Twin Cities. NDSU talks a big game like they'll get "exposure" when they play Minnesota. Perhaps they've been watching one-too-many Maine/Mississippi State or Troy vs Missouri games. Those upsets are few and far between. I'm guessing a couple of years of 40-7 and 48-3 scores against Minnesota, Iowa, or, heck, if they're so damn cocky, go ahead and head to The Big House and play Michigan, those NDSU players will be wondering why D-1 teams are on the schedule at all.

What are you talking about, BigGame?  The truth finally comes out and you think it makes NDSU look bad!  NDSU wanted the game at first, UND, with RT and C-Kup, wanted to make NDSU's transition as miserable as possible, declined to play the game.  Now UND wants the game again, please tell how that makes NDSU and the AD look bad.

How long before UND moves to D1AA and proves NDSU right?  I would think that the alumni would be having a hissy fit about now.  How many times will you play Minot State and University of Mary and the Bison play Minnesota and Iowa before there is a major uproar?

NDSU looks bad because of the reasons they are publicly making for not wanting to schedule UND. UND's reasons, state to the public, were because it could have negative playoff implications, and it would not be a level playing field scholarship-wise. NDSU's reasons now for not wanting to play are basically to spite UND, "because UND has made their bed, now they have to sleep in it", as Gene Taylor said. I think it is probably true that an underlying reason for UND not scheduling the bison last year was because they didn't want to help them out in their first year of transition. But at least their official reasons had validity. NDSU's official reason is, "we're cranky, and now we can get even with you." That makes NDSU look bad.

The funny thing is when Bison fans talk about their games with the likes of Minn, Iowa.  They sound like they are going to be competitive.  Yes, they will get exposure, but a different kind of exposure than what they are wanting.  I'm guessing the 57-3 beatings they will take aren't what they had in mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like a Sid Hartman quote. Last year Minnesota beat unranked I-AA Western Illinois 37-21. Not expecting a Bison win, but it won't be a 57-3 blowout.

Sounds like a Sid Hartman quote.  Last year Minnesota beat unranked I-AA Western Illinois 37-21.  Not expecting a Bison win, but it won't be a 57-3 blowout.

I agree -- as a Gopher alum/season ticket-holder within the past 5 years (admittedly closer to 5 than 0), I definitely agree that the NDSU/UMN talent gap is not what the Gophers would like it to be. Frankly, neither UND or NDSU would have much trouble consistently being I-AA top 25, which is why I'd so like to see UND at least consider such a move.

Minnesota is not Montana, a UND/NDSU vs. UMN game shouldn't feature a surprise come-from-behind win, but it also wouldn't necessarily be a blowout (though, admittedly, the score would be kept close by Minnesota playing scrubs).

NDSU sure doesn't need the cash from a bison-undII game. Next year the Bison have Montana St. and Northeastern (Rocky Hager) at home for football, and Kansas St. & Manhattan at home for men's BB, and Minnesota & Wisconsin-GB for women's BB. Who is comparable on undII's schedule?

The Bison are DI and UND is DII. There won't be any games in the major sports until they are both in the same division. It's that simple! The U of Mary should try and get on the Bison schedule as well, what is the difference between them and undII?

anyone else think it was funny and disingenuos of Amy ruley to tick off all the top notch D1! teams that NDSU has coming in next year?

Minnesota--they are good and a legit program

Arkansas State, San Jose State, Idaho State, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee are all teams who would be mediocre teams in D2, none of them would finish in the top 3 in the current NCC

What are you talking about, BigGame?  The truth finally comes out and you think it makes NDSU look bad!  NDSU wanted the game at first, UND, with RT and C-Kup, wanted to make NDSU's transition as miserable as possible, declined to play the game.  Now UND wants the game again, please tell how that makes NDSU and the AD look bad.

How long before UND moves to D1AA and proves NDSU right?  I would think that the alumni would be having a hissy fit about now.  How many times will you play Minot State and University of Mary and the Bison play Minnesota and Iowa before there is a major uproar?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a COMPLETELY CONTRIVED (paper selling :glare: imagine ;) ) Load of CRAP from the lame staff at the FOOL 'EM!! This came up, BRIEFLY, right after Buning was hired simply because he expressed - as an ARMY/NAVY guy - the importance of local rivalries. Good point - dead point around here right now! In a continuing effort to make you chumps down south buy papers...FOOL 'EM "reporters" took advantage of the recent NCAA "Nickname" edict to come up and ask UND guys about the status of the rivalry and ran with the ball. CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU'VE BEEN FOOLED AGAIN!!! (suckers!) Theres' no BUZZ up here about UND playing the gigantically HUGE bison AGAIN!! We didn't give a crap when YOU MOVED!!! WE don't NOW!! This is a completely fabricated story from the FORUM WEASELS to generate talk and make ndsu look GOOD by saying..."we've moved on to bigger and better things!" Okay - if playing NW Schreveport State in FB and being 29-1 in WBB last year and having it be TOTALLY MEANINGLESS is a GOOD THING?? Have fun in the big world of DI guys....you deserve all the meaningless ink you get!!!

NDSU sure doesn't need the cash from a bison-undII game.  Next year the Bison have Montana St. and Northeastern (Rocky Hager) at home for football, and Kansas St. & Manhattan at home for men's BB, and Minnesota & Wisconsin-GB for women's BB.  Who is comparable on undII's schedule?

The Bison are DI and UND is DII.  There won't be any games in the major sports until they are both in the same division.  It's that simple! The U of Mary should try and get on the Bison schedule as well, what is the difference between them and undII?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DUDE!! You are SO in the RIGHT TOWN for treatment of your....condition :glare:;)

Doesn't UND already play Minneasota in the regular season??  If memory serves me, I believe they might have won a game against them last year.  :p  ;)  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be in Hockey my friend...where UND is a more-than-worthy and feared RIVAL. In fact, they MOST RECENTLY defeated this (actually RESPECTED) FULL D-I University in the National Semifinals of the DI Hockey Championship last April!!!

I hear some ag-college down south will be playing them in FB sometime in the future...OOHHH - BITCH SLAP-A-THON!!!! GO GOPHS!!!!!! (in FB :lol: )

Doesn't UND already play Minneasota in the regular season??  If memory serves me, I believe they might have won a game against them last year.  :p  ;)  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget Wisconsin, Ohio State and Denver U as other regular season conference foes.