SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. NDSU again?

UND92,96

I love how this rivalry makes the coaches act like children. It's just a reflection of the whole Grand Forks-Fargo thing.  UND asks NDSU if they want to start the rivalry up again and the Bison response is "NO! You acted like poopheads last time, you can't play with my ball anymore!". UND acted similiar when NDSU was going DI. You expect it out of second graders, but when coaches and AD's at colleges do it, it's rather pathetic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I wish that Gene Taylor hadn't mentioned the grievances. Heck, if he wanted to pay UND back, the poetic way of doing it would be to ask UND AD for a contract next May. Then he could leave it on his desk until January or February of 2006 when he holds a press conference to say that the game isn't going to happen.

Up until now, I've been very impressed with the restraint that NDSU's AD and coaches have shown in their public comments. Not so much anymore.

HOnestly the bison sioux rivalry should of still gone on, because according to some of your coaches up north there is not a big difference between d2 and d1aa so i just dont understand why at the time ndsu proposed continuing the games UND said nononono seeing as everyone in the state could see that UND would be stung huge in the football budget being that they cant even sell out a playoff game.I hate to say it but the one person in the whole mess that made sense was gene'o roebuck.

as for the last post who cares about budgets just play the dam games, i dont think either school wants to see where all the money comes from i think that there might be some fuzzy math on both ends.

Minnesota played Illinois State, not Western Illinois last year. They were a 4-7 I-AA team, with only one win over a I-AA opponent with a winning record.

NDSU plays Southern Illinois this year, who beat Illinois State by more than the Gophers last year. We'll all be able to answer the if's and but's with the Comparative Score Index at the season's end. :glare:

HOnestly the bison sioux rivalry should of still gone on, because according to some of your coaches up north there is not a big difference between d2 and d1aa so i just dont understand why at the time ndsu proposed continuing the games UND said nononono seeing as everyone in the state could see that UND would be stung huge in the football budget being that they cant even sell out a playoff game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know what point you were attempting to make with the highlighted quote, but in any event, it's better to host playoff games which don't sell out as opposed to not hosting any playoff games at all. I believe the finances of UND's football program are actually quite healthy compared to most fully-funded programs in dII.

For the record, FY 2004 EADA (http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Search.asp) data:

Football Revenues Expenses Net

NDSU $1,309,531 $1,553,273 $243,742

UND $1,316,666 $1,485,800 $169,134

Why bring up budgets? Because you can't play the games if you can't pay the bills.

I'm sure there is some "Enron accounting" on both sides. (I guess only the government can get away with that.) But both are public schools that have made claims and statements about budgets and budgeting in the past. Let's get it all out onto the table and see who's where fiscally and what one can learn from the other.

Um, I'm sure the differences are called "Team Makers" and "Fighting Siuox Club," don't you think?

The 2004 EADA data shows that both athletic departments ran red ink for the fiscal year.

Only two subcategories of how EADA breaks the data down (or is it how it's reported to them) had black ink:

Mens sports other than FB and BB at UND (think "hockey")

Revenues: $3,840,395 Expenses: $3,379,348 Net: $461,047

Womens BB at UND:

Revenues: $537,421 Expenses: $513,088 Net: $24,333

The only data I can find out there for NDSU is the FY 2002 data (from the CLS report) and UND's (projected) FY 04 budget. There NDSU donations (assumably Team Makers) were listed as $1,028,000 and the Fighting Sioux Club was listed as $1,468,811.

But those numbers don't matter in this context. The EADA numbers are the final budget numbers for each school for that year. However, EADA doesn't list the breakdown of revenue sources (meaning tickets, donations, etc.).

BTW! News FLASH for the Fool'em...Buning said when he first came to UND (much earlier this SUMMER) he was interested in restarting the rivalry...I find it very interesting the Fool'em decided to wait a couple MONTHS before making this a big headline story!!!

I can tell you - when UND had their most recent press conference regarding the NCAA Nickname ruling....that weasel Kolpack and the UBER WEASEL McSqueely cornered Buning and were pestering him about something. What it was - I couldn't hear but given the BANNER HEADLINES in the last couple days...take a guess?? :glare:;):p ...

Tom is an honest guy coming from an Army/Navy background who's new in a job and knows what a rivalry is all about...too bad the Bison didn't give a CRAP about it when they bailed out to the Nivrana of "supposed" DIVISION ONE ATHLETICS!?!

Who's missing who? REALLY?? (the ag college WISHES we could play again but now they have to act like it'd be a "favor" :lol: )

If "turnabout is fair play" - then NDSU is NOW the "sour grapes" WEINER AWARD winner of the year! If NDSU had any balls...they'd sign a deal to play at the Alerus next year. What do they have to worry about? They're BIG TIME!! Going to beat up on a "smaller" school with fewer scholarships...PUT UP or SHUT UP you chumps!! And don't pull that crap about a "DI" school traveling to a "DII"...if you're so great - you shouldn't have anything to worry about....

HOnestly the bison sioux rivalry should of still gone on, because according to some of your coaches up north there is not a big difference between d2 and d1aa so i just dont understand why at the time ndsu proposed continuing the games UND said nononono seeing as everyone in the state could see that UND would be stung huge in the football budget being that they cant even sell out a playoff game.I hate to say it but the one person in the whole mess that made sense was gene'o roebuck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhh, Timbo, it's already been stated on here that we didn't play NDSU in FB due to it hurting our playoff chances.