SiouxSports.com Forum

Matt Greene Signs With Edmonton

Goon

Its a sad day for me, I was a big Greene fan. It reminds me of the day that Commie signed and left the Sioux for the Bigs. Someone will step up though. I still hate watching these kids leave school early.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a sad day for me, I was a big Greene fan. It reminds me of the day that Commie signed and left the Sioux for the Bigs. Someone will step up though. I still hate watching these kids leave school early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was pretty clear that this was inevitable but since it happened so close to the start of school one did hold out a faint hope that he would be back for his senior year. I am sure the coaches have known that he would be gone for some time now. I am sure he was using the returning to school card to benefit his negotiating position which is a smart thing to do and something that you cannot do after your senior year. It really hurts the team with him leaving much more so than Murray. There are going to be a lot of growing pains on the blue line but hopefully they can play well enough in the first half to stay in the hunt and then come together for a second half run. Having five freshman on defense and yes I am counting Radke as a freshman is not something you hardly ever see in the WCHA.

Congrats Matt...

The reality is that he is more than ready for the NHL and made the correct choice. Thanks for picking UND. We'll miss you.

We still have a very talented team, but given the defense, I have a hard time seeing this as anything but a reloading year. At time the defense may be frustrating to watch. If most of this years Juniors stay for their senior year, the 06-07 team may be very memorable. I just hope this year's kinks are worked out by tourney time.

Congrats Matt...

The reality is that he is more than ready for the NHL and made the correct choice.  Thanks for picking UND.  We'll miss you.

We still have a very talented team, but given the defense, I have a hard time seeing this as anything but a reloading year.  At time the defense may be frustrating to watch.  If most of this years Juniors stay for their senior year, the 06-07 team may be very memorable.  I just hope this year's kinks are worked out by tourney time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am sure Stafford and Smaby and maybe Zajac will be gone after next year for sure so if you subtract those guys 06-07 does not look so great either. But first things first and that is 05-06. That is the problem in today's environment, just when you think you are set up to have a great team.....the early departures begin and all of a sudden things are not looking as rosy.

early departures happen to every elite program, as siouxnami said we reload, not rebuild...3 years to me is fine for a top talent considering 2 years is usually the normal in todays age...05/06 will be fun to watch and 06/07 and every year after that wil be fine....can't wait for this season to get going!

early departures happen to every elite program, as siouxnami said we reload, not rebuild...3 years to me is fine for a top talent considering 2 years is usually the normal in todays age...05/06 will be fun to watch and 06/07 and every year after that wil be fine....can't wait for this season to get going!

True, early departures happen to every elite program, however I would argue not to the extent that it does to the Sioux or Michigan. I can't remember the last time a Sioux team had no early defections. If someone has time to compile the stats over the last 10 years, that would be great. I do know that it is going to be more common throughout college hockey from here on out, but with so many high draft picks on the Sioux, they still will be hit as hard or harder than other teams. The one positive is that we are starting to take it for granted, and are appreciating the talent while it is here, while other programs are just beginning to lament their early departures.

True,  early departures happen to every elite program, however I would argue not to the extent that it does to the Sioux or Michigan.  I can't remember the last time a Sioux team had no early defections.  If someone has time to compile the stats over the last 10 years, that would be great.  I do know that it is going to be more common throughout college hockey from here on out, but with so many high draft picks on the Sioux, they still will be hit as hard or harder than other teams.  The one positive is that we are starting to take it for granted, and are appreciating the talent while it is here, while other programs are just beginning to lament their early departures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quit recruiting players like Commodore, Roche, Greene, Parise, Stafford, Smaby, Toews and Hale and the Sioux won't have this problem. :glare: However I admit guys like Murray, Bayda, Lundbohm and Bochenski under different circumstances certainly likely may have been four year players.

Enjoy Mr Media while you have him because he will be gone after one season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope to. :glare: The Gophs seem seem to getting clipped a bit lately (not at the same scale as the Sioux) as well, P. Martin being the most painful. Though he certainly made the right choice. I suspect there are MANY Gophers players who are not seniors that hope to be playing professionally in '06-'07.

Why does everyone discount Radke? He is not a freshman. He may not have played in most of the games last year, but game experience isn't all that matters. He practiced all season with the team. He's familiar with our playing style, and coaching. He's also familiar with the speed of the college game.

Expect to see him in a bigger role this year. Though he may not have shined last year, I believe he is more ready this year. You have to think the coaches, with the youth that's back there, are going to look to Radke to work hard and get more minutes this year. Realize that, though he may not have played in all the games, he's one of the more experienced d-men on the team.

Good luck, Matt. I look forward to seeing you on TV.

Why does everyone discount Radke?  He is not a freshman.  He may not have played in most of the games last year, but game experience isn't all that matters.  He practiced all  season with the team.  He's familiar with our playing style, and coaching.  He's also familiar with the speed of the college game.

Expect to see him in a bigger role this year.  Though he may not have shined last year, I believe he is more ready this year.  You have to think the coaches, with the youth that's back there, are going to look to Radke to work hard and get more minutes this year.  Realize that, though he may not have played in all the games, he's one of the more experienced d-men on the team.

Good luck, Matt.  I look forward to seeing you on TV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly hope Radke shows a great deal of improvement this year. The times he was on the ice last year in games I saw either in person or on tv a lot of the time quite frankly he looked lost out there. He seemed to struggle adjusting to the defense first philosophy of the Sioux coaching staff. I am sure with his junior team he could take a lot more chances and free wheel a lot more because the competition was not as good. Hopefully he spent a lot of time in the weight room this offseason as well as I think he needs to get stronger. We shall see what type of impact he can make this season as we will definitely need him to play a much bigger role than he did last year.

First off, bash sagard all you will, but he's right. The problem isn't coaching or a problem UND or UMich can fix unless they switch recruiting styles. UND, UMN, and UMich are elite teams as far as recruiting is concerned. We go after and get the top prospects available. However, these prospects aren't the best COLLEGE prospects available, they are the best OVERALL prospects available. This means they garner a lot of attention from the pros.

If four year players were our main priority, then look at the teams who suffer the least amount of early defenctions like MTU, MSUM, SCSU, and to a certain extent, UMD. Why am I not naming a team that has finished routinely in the top 4 teams in the WCHA? Because our talent is above those teams. We have better talent but face early departures. They have steady rosters with no or few early departures but less talent. It's a trade off.

As for Radke, I don't discount him. In fact, I worry about him the most. Even more than our freshmen D. Why? Because he got thrown around like a dog's play toy. He looked lost on the ice, but who can get comfortable if you are only going to play MAYBE one game and, in all likelihood, see less than 5 minutes for the entire game anyways? He looked lost because he was never allowed to get comfortable in a game situation. That's why I consider him a second year freshman. He's got genuine talent and can score from the blue line. Something that Matt Jones and, at times, Andy Schneider has done in a limited capacity. Potentially, Radke is another Travis Roche. He just needs playing time.

i could care less how long a player stays as long as he gives it his all when hes at UND. if hes a elite talent then its great to see him play for the short time and develop to be a NHL player with the sioux. the main reason they choose elite programs is they are stepping stones for the NHL and also have the chance to earn a college degree for some. on the other hand we will always have the 4 year players as well but this is a new age in college hockey with early departures. there dream is the NHL as likewise with other top programs i the nation...a good mix is nice to have but i would not shy away from a parise or toews or kessel any day of the week. we will be fine this season. it will be a more uptempo team i believe with all the scoreres we recruited and jordy and phil will be busy in the nets :glare:

I have prepared for this ever since THE SOURCE told me Greene was gone shortly after the bus left from Columbus. Thanks Greener, what a pleasure watching you

play. Best of luck.

Radke will be solid this year. Also, what is the story with Bina? Don't hear his name mentioned. I have been out of the loop but I thought he had planned to return this year. What is the story?

I wish him the best of luck, too.

Stupid penalties in the college level are one thing; stupid penalties at the pro level get you bench time.

And it won't be about size or college refs to blame, as stupid penalties are just stupid.

Best wishes to him in his pro career.

I wish him the best of luck, too.

Stupid penalties in the college level are one thing; stupid penalties at the pro level get you bench time.

And it won't be about size or college refs to blame, as stupid penalties are just stupid.

Best wishes to him in his pro career.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. However, the quality of officiating in the NHL is far superior than college. So, 25 percent of Greene's penalties that he got in college won't be called in the pros. And that's being conservative.

As for Bina, it's largely assumed that he'll medical redshirt this year. No guarantee that is the case, but still, he won't play this season, that much I am sure of.

I have prepared for this ever since THE SOURCE told me Greene was gone shortly after the bus left from Columbus.  Thanks Greener, what a pleasure watching you

play.  Best of luck.

Radke will be solid this year.  Also, what is the story with Bina?  Don't hear his name mentioned.  I have been out of the loop but I thought he had planned to return this year.  What is the story?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forum snippet about Bina.

UND will open camp with eight defensemen. Holdovers Matt Smaby, Kyle Radke, Lee Marvin and Robbie Bina will be joined by freshmen Taylor Chorney, Zach Jones and first-round NHL picks Brian Lee and Joe Finley.

Bina, who suffered a broken neck in the WCHA Final Five last season, will learn later this month if he is cleared to play.

UND will open camp with eight defensemen. Holdovers Matt Smaby, Kyle Radke, Lee Marvin and Robbie Bina will be joined by freshmen Taylor Chorney, Zach Jones and first-round NHL picks Brian Lee and Joe Finley.

Bina, who suffered a broken neck in the WCHA Final Five last season, will learn later this month if he is cleared to play.

You would think that the Fargo player wouldn't forget about the kid that played for Fargo the past 2 (I think) seasons. Alexander is also a defenseman...

Well, we'll see what kind of progress he made over the summer with his neck. Quite frankly, I'd be shocked and appalled if Bina was cleared to play. I'm not saying I don't want him back, I'm saying that his chances of paralysis upon coming back too soon is extremely high. It is a risk I would never want to see one take.

Well, we'll see what kind of progress he made over the summer with his neck.  Quite frankly, I'd be shocked and appalled if Bina was cleared to play.  I'm not saying I don't want him back, I'm saying that his chances of paralysis upon coming back too soon is extremely high.  It is a risk I would never want to see one take.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Dr.

I seen Robbie's mom the other day, according to her Robbie has a doctors appt this week or next. That will determine if he is even cleared to skate. He hasn't been able to do anything this summer not even swim at the lake. So she said she would put her money on him not playing this year. She did say though that if he is cleared to skate who knows how soon before he is back on the ice in a game. His parents are wanting him to wait a year and he is just itching to get back on the ice. If he isn't going to listen to his parents I don't think he is going to take our advice, though we will continue to give it.