SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

This Associated Press story has some of the facts wrong, but one thing it successfully does is portray the NCAA policy as being a hopelessly inconsistent mess.

Schools fight back on NCAA mascot ban

Officials say move haphazard, uneven; most just unhappy with decision

Some university presidents are upset by what they call the NCAA
Edited by PCM

I'm not so sure about it being incorrect or more that it is out of date. The article is from last Sept. A lot has changed since then.

DOH! doh02.gif

You're right. I didn't even look at the date. Dang google news alerts!

Does anybody know the current status of a lawsuit?

Unofficially, the last I heard was that an injunction or something would be filed before the start of the new school year. Other than that, I haven't heard much.

Thanks for your help by the way. I did my paper showingmwhy UND should get to keep the name and I hit it out of the ballpark, my Nazi instructor loved it and said it was great. So Thanks to all you sent me info that I could use, it is greatly appreaciated.

From the Associated Press:

Attorney general says his office is working on nickname lawsuit

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem says his office is working on details of a lawsuit against the NCAA over the University of North Dakota's Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

Stenehjem said his assistant, Tag Anderson, met this week with officials of UND and the Ralph Engelstad Arena, which he said may have legal claims of its own.

Interesting article on the history of nicknames.

http://small-business-help69651.blogspot.c...-could-wax.html

The matter isn't going away anytime soon. Now the NCAA --- college sports' governing body --- has decreed that any university with a Native American mascot can neither host a championship event nor use their mascot in any championship event. Some schools have successfully been granted exceptions, which makes even less sense to me. Does this mean that Florida State's Seminoles, for example, are less demeaning to Native Americans than North Dakota's Fighting Sioux (a traditional college hockey power)? How hypocritical is that? If they're contending that degrees of discrimination exist due to local circumstances, then they're admitting to a targeted sensitivity beyond society's pale, which is discriminatory in itself. How can such a position be rationalized with a clear conscience?

I never tire of hearing North Dakota noted as a hockey power or hockey powerhouse.

From a Philadelphia Inquirer sports column by Don McKee:

What?The College of William and Mary is one of the nation's oldest and most distinguished.

According to the NCAA, it also is one of the nation's most hostile and prejudiced.

The college was one of more than 30 institutions originally cited by the NCAA as having a nickname - the Tribe - and logo that create a hostile environment because of their depiction of Native Americans.

The Tribe appealed, and the NCAA relented on the nickname. But on Thursday, the association reiterated its ruling that the school's logo had to go.

The logo consists of a capital WM and two feathers.

This is of note for two reasons. One, the NCAA has ruled that the Florida State Seminoles, and their logo and mascot, are perfectly acceptable. Two, William and Mary has one of the nation's best records in graduating athletes.

Apparently, having a gilt-edged academic record counts for nothing. And how two feathers are offensive when a guy riding a horse in a loin cloth with a spear is OK beats me.

Just as William & Mary's record of graduating student athletes makes no difference to the NCAA, neither does UND's educational programs and services for American Indians.

Bear Butte Dispute

Alex White Plume, president of the Oglala Sioux Tribe, told Kempthorne that poverty, a shortage of law enforcement officers and education funding, and the proliferation of methamphetamine were among the largest problems on the reservations.

Obviously, Mr. White Plume needs to be "educated" by Herr Brand's storm troopers on just how the Sioux name/logo is really the cause for all his tribes' problems. :lol::blush::huh:

Edit: New linky, same story. Bear Butt Pt.2

Bear Butte Dispute

Obviously, Mr. White Plume needs to be "educated" by Herr Brand's storm troopers on just how the Sioux name/logo is really the cause for all his tribes' problems. :lol::blush::huh:

What there are other problems on a reservation. I am shocked and dismayed....While I can not be both, you shocked and I will be dismayed.

• 4 weeks later...

From KLFY TV:

ULM's new Warhawk sideline mascot: "Ace"

MONROE, La. The University of Louisiana at Monroe will officially retire its old sideline mascot -- a cartoonish Indian called "Chief Brave Spirit" -- tonight (Thursday).
The new sideline mascot was introduced at a pep rally last night (Wednesday). It's a maroon hawk wearing a bomber jacket and flight goggles.

The mascot's name -- decided by a student vote -- is "Ace".

I wonder how real aces will like being portrayed in this stereotypical manner?