SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

From the Herald & Review:

Shelbyville family with Chief Illinwek heritage decries NCAA ruling as uninformed

One son, John, served as Chief Illiniwek from 1970-74, and another son, Don, was an alternate Chief during his college career. Bob Bitzer in later years shared stories of Chief Illiniwek and the American Indian culture with schoolchildren and Boy Scouts around Shelbyville.

"I think the first time was when our daughter Nancy was in third grade," Marilyn said. "Her teacher asked him to talk to the class. He always felt that the Chief was a symbol, not a mascot, and that's what he wanted people to know."

The Bitzers, like many other fans of the Chief, were upset when the executive committee of the NCAA ruled last month that Illiniwek is an image that is "hostile and abusive."

Former Chief John Bitzer, 53, a Collinsville attorney, said the ruling shows how little the NCAA knows about the legacy of Chief Illiniwek.

"The whole intent of Chief Illiniwek is to honor the past," he said. "The tribes of Illinois were warriors, and they were loyal to their tribes. That's what the Chief exemplifies."

From ESPN.com on Illinois:

Illinois trustees to work with NCAA on mascot

University of Illinois trustees said Tuesday they still believe they can reach a "consensus solution" with the NCAA that would save the Chief Illiniwek athletic mascot.

"The Board and the University community have been engaged in an effort to reach a consensus solution to the issue of the Chief," trustees Chairman Lawrence C. Eppley said in a statement. "We believe that this is an achievable goal."

This would be undesirable for UND. Illinois is the last remaining high-profile school effected by this policy. Once it is out of the picture, there will be almost no media coverage, no public outcry, and UND will be left fighting by itself. And obviously the North Dakota politicians in D.C. don't care about this issue, so the pending legislation would surely die as well.

Unfrotunately, I think it's inevitable that Illinois and the NCAA will work something out.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

We need a little Foster Brooks in these times

Let's put it this way. If Florida-Georgia were a person, it would be Foster Brooks.

In case you're too young to remember, he was a comedian who pretended to be a lush. It was okay to laugh at his act 30 years ago. But if he were alive today, Brooks couldn't get a gig at the Poughkeepsie Holiday Inn. It's called progress, I suppose. What was once considered harmless fun is now morally suspect.

Want to be labeled a racist? Put on a Chief Illiniwek T-shirt.

The whole thing gets confusing, though political correctness has one rule: We are all endowed with the inalienable right not to be offended.

Where is all this headed? You can forget about any references to ethnicity, violence or otherwise questionable behavior.

From PJStar.com:

A mixed blessing

Native American tribes give some schools permission to carry on their traditions

Unlike Florida State, Central Michigan, Utah and Mississippi College, Illinois doesn't have the backing of the namesake tribe.

"That's one of the Catch-22 situations we're in with the NCAA policy," Illinois spokesman Tom Hardy said. "We can't point to the Illiniwek tribe. Illiniwek referred to a confederation of tribes. We don't have any locally based namesake tribe.''

In fact, the descendants of the Illiniwek tribe - also known as the

Illini, Illinois and Illinois Confederacy - have requested the school end the use of Chief Illiniwek.

Whoa, wait, stop, ooohhh, ooowww, my head hurts!!!

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/051906/ILL_B9RRR8CL.083.shtml

"Although the Executive Committee continues to believe that stereotyping Native Americans through nicknames and imagery is wrong, it recognizes that a Native American tribe is a distinct political community and, therefore, respects the authority of the tribe to permit universities and colleges to use its name and imagery,'' NCAA senior vice president for governance and membership Bernard Franklin wrote in a letter to FSU.
http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/dp-27...ews-local-final

The committee also recognized that though some regional tribal leaders supported the college, it didn't agree that the school be allowed to use feathers on its logo. The NCAA report read in part: "The Executive Committee's policy reinforces the belief that stereotyping Native Americans through nicknames and imagery is wrong.

:D;):)

Kupchella said the university had "a program in place" to meet with American Indian tribes to discuss the issue, including "if we had to change it, what we would change it to," and ways UND could handle the Fighting Sioux logo in an even more respectful manner.

So is Chuck saying we should ask the name change people what we should name our sports teams? I think not. We will end up with some stupid name like Flickertails again and that isn't acceptable.

If UND should have to change I would think these people in favor of changing the Fighting Sioux should be the furthest from the decision of anyone. It almost sounds as if he is back to being in the change the name as he was before the Board of Higher Ed took that decision away from him.

Whoa, wait, stop, ooohhh, ooowww, my head hurts!!!

:D;):)

They are all over the place and out of control. I looks like if they keep this up they are going to have a hard time explaining what it is that they are trying to enforce. Myles Brand Needs to be slapped hard in a court of law and sanctioned.

It almost sounds as if he is back to being in the change the name as he was before the Board of Higher Ed took that decision away from him.

I believe that Kupchella is still working to save the nickname. I wouldn't put much faith in a single quote, you can never even be sure that it is totally accurate.

I believe that Kupchella is still working to save the nickname. I wouldn't put much faith in a single quote, you can never even be sure that it is totally accurate.

Sioux-cia its a deal I will hold him up and you slap him.

Maybe your right 82, it maybe hard to tell where the truth is in all of this until it starts to shake out and play out in the next couple of weeks. I am worried that maybe we will just decide not to fight this. I think the time is now. I still think the NCAA has bitten off more than it can chew.

I am worried that maybe we will just decide not to fight this. I think the time is now. I still think the NCAA has bitten off more than it can chew.

I've gotta believe that the powers that be know very well how ballistic the alunmi would go if they chose to lay down.

I don't make a lot of predictions, but I think that there are only 3 ways that a lawsuit doesn't go forward. That is either if the AG decides it is a case that doen't have a chance (he has already said he thinks he has a good case), if they don't have a source of money to fund the case (there seem to be plenty of people willing to donate for the cause) or if the SBoHE backs out. I have been told by 2 very reliable sources that Kupchella is not happy with the way the NC$$ has treated UND and that he wants to go ahead. The whole process just takes time. We will probably know more after the SBoHE meeting in June.

I have an idea. If the NCAA continues to get their way with this issue, UND should show up to NCAA playoff games with standard Sioux jerseys with the Sioux logo and see how the NCAA treats the situation. Make this into a major sports story and nationally covered media event. Make the NCAA say that they wouldn't allow UND to play because they are hostile and abusive and see how the sports world would react to the NCAA.

I have an idea. If the NCAA continues to get their way with this issue, UND should show up to NCAA playoff games with standard Sioux jerseys with the Sioux logo and see how the NCAA treats the situation. Make this into a major sports story and nationally covered media event. Make the NCAA say that they wouldn't allow UND to play because they are hostile and abusive and see how the sports world would react to the NCAA.

A sort of put your money where your mouth is... I like it!!

Imagine the NCAA and money that would or could be lost!!!

The down side is the kids. They deserve everything they worked for to get to a championship game.

Unless the students wore their jerseys on their own....

I would feel like the NC$$ and how they are treating the students like pawns.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been providing many updates here lately. There have been some items in the Grand Forks Herald the last few days that deserve links.

UND NICKNAME: Lawsuit given funding source

Donations will be accepted to help pay for litigation against the NCAA's tournament rules

The day after UND was given the go-ahead to launch a lawsuit against the NCAA, the source of funding for the court action became clearer.

The UND Foundation announced Friday the establishment of an NCAA Litigation Fund to accept donations for the lawsuit.

Here's a link to the UND Alumni Association's NCAA Litigation Fund.

DORREEN YELLOW BIRD COLUMN: Sioux issue takes a step back

My 12 years in Grand Forks doesn't compare with the length and experience of my sister, Elizabeth Yellow Bird (Demaray), who came to Grand Forks in 1971.

She graduated from UND in 1976. After graduation, she went to work for UND's INMED program. While there, she was able to complete her master's degree. She then was hired by the university for several more years.

My brother, Don Yellow Bird, graduated in 1973 and worked with the Upward Bound and INMED programs. Since then, a sister and several relatives have graduated from UND.

Our family is familiar with the UND campus and the logo and mascot issue.

Liz returned to the UND campus two years ago to pursue a doctorate degree. She tells me each time the mascot and logo issue hit the headlines, she regrets coming to UND.

VIEWPOINT : UND's logo hurts students

A very strict UND survey using Institutional Review Board guidelines shows that the Fighting Sioux team name and logo has real effects on students.

The controversy at UND sparked a study based on the Indian mascot logo issue. The study involved 132 UND students, 37 percent of whom were American Indian and 63 percent of whom were non-American Indian. The study showed that of all the students surveyed, 96 percent believe that racism is a problem in America, 90 percent believe there is racial discrimination against American Indians to some extent, and 57 percent of American Indian students want the logos removed or banned.

It also showed a greater portion of American Indian students have more negative opinions of the logos than non-American Indian students.

OUR OPINION: Chancellor deserves board's support

The state Board of Higher Education stood united Thursday and voted 8-0 to sue the NCAA.

Now, we'll see if the board members are as committed to North Dakota's system of higher education as they are to UND's nickname.

I'll admit that I don't know a lot about giving our surveys, but 132 students (not to mention 37 percent being American Indian) doesn't exactly seem like a sample population of the student body. For this survey to be accurate at all, I would think that they would need to include a few hundred more students...

I haven't been providing many updates here lately. There have been some items in the Grand Forks Herald the last few days that deserve links.

DORREEN YELLOW BIRD COLUMN: Sioux issue takes a step back

If this isn't unsurmountable evidence that the University of North Dakota is not a hot bed of 'hostility or abusive' directed at American Indians, then nothing else is!!!

Liz may not like the nickname or logo but she obtained an excellent education from the University, was employed by it for several years and came back to future her education.

I do not want to be rude but are they kidding. She not only gets a great education, but returned their to further her education. If she really looks at that statue in front of the arena and is so distraught then she is definitly missing the point. WOW I am amazed she passed her studies. My 63 year old mother was almost moved to tears when she say the arena for the first time. She was amazed and felt that it was so honoralbe and what a great way to honor Native Americans in ND. Yes I understand we are white and maybe do not get it. But that story makes me think. Do you think black Americans go to the Lincoln Memorial and think, Wow that guy freed us. I am appalled or are they greatful that he is so honored for doing so. Maybe I am in the wrong, but I just do not get that mentality. Sorry for the long rant. But I have said it before and I will say it one more time. IT IS TO HONOR NATIVE AMERICANS NOT TO DEMEAN THEM. In the words of my friend that is Sioux indian and lives in Bismarck. He told me just three weeks ago. Indians need to Get over it....

If this isn't unsurmountable evidence that the University of North Dakota is not a hot bed of 'hostility or abusive' directed at American Indians, then nothing else is!!!

Liz may not like the nickname or logo but she obtained an excellent education from the University, was employed by it for several years and came back to future her education.

She kept coming back for more, and more, and more.......

It just doesn't make any sense.

All the Universities to choose from, she kept choosing the one with the "hostile and abusive" environment.

I think its telling if UND is so bad go to school somewhere else.

Look deeper into this and some of these people whole life mission is to see UND

change their name and logo.

My question is, ok what if UND loses the battle in court, eventually I suppose we will change the name.

Then what are these people going to complain about, what is going to be their next mission? It will never end.

I think its telling if UND is so bad go to school somewhere else.

Look deeper into this and some of these people whole life mission is to see UND

change their name and logo.

My question is, ok what if UND loses the battle in court, eventually I suppose we will change the name.

Then what are these people going to complain about, what is going to be their next mission? It will never end.

Funding and reparations. Some sort of financial version of an apology for the 75+ years of hostile and abusiveness the logo and name brought on.

You wanted to know what's next for UND from those Sioux tribes. There you go.

Get them in the heartstrings and then snatch their wallet.

UND's nickname lawsuit could harm North Dakota

Can't help but to comment on todays Mike Jacobs op-ed:

Instead of clinging to a controversial symbol that some people clearly find offensive, we ought to work to build a society that is more open to diversity and more accepting of other people with other ideas. That is the tide of history.
The tide of history, Mr Jacobs, is toward freedom. This is a freedom issue, Mr. Jacobs, and you are supporting tyranny.

To resist is to court isolation and ill repute.
In the small world of newspaper publishers and editorial writers, poor Mr. Jacobs' reputation has been besmerched by the action of his beloved university. Mr Jacobs' opinion pieces and their logic have failed to win over support to his worldview, so, since we don't agree with him, we now are of "ill repute".

Let's examine our hearts and see if this nickname really contributes anything to UND or North Dakota. Let's hear the testimony of those people who find it offensive, who say that it fosters a climate that doesn't welcome them. Let's believe them even if we do not see the incidents that they report, even if we don't want to believe we are capable of them.
Perhaps your own heart needs examining, Mr Jacobs, for issues like pride. Without a doubt there are Sioux nickname supporters who don't have the correct heart about this. But clearly, Mr Jacobs, there are many nickname opponents that have misguided cultural and intellectual views that prejudice their feelings. Let's hear the testimony in your paper, just once, of those who say it fosters respect and diversity. Let's hear the testimony that uses logic, not feelings.

Mr. Jacobs, you will be surprised how, in the end, this issue will bless UND and North Dakota. Logic and reasoning, the very reason UND exists, support an appeal. Through logic, one can obtain truth. Truth wins, in the end.