SiouxSports.com Forum

To begin a journey of a 1000 miles....

GrahamKracker

Agreed, but I don't think that is the thought that Goon is conveying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In that case, I guess I don't understand his point.

All I know is that on an issue such as this, the more allies you have in your corner, the better off you are. I'll take bipartisan support over partisan bickering any day.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add me to the list of card-carrying liberals (I cast my first vote for George McGovern in 1972), who are in favor of keeping the name. While I may not agree with most of the more conservative Siouxsports posters on other political issues--none of which, may I say, would be on-topic in this forum-- I am firmly in your camp on this one. PCM is right: the more the merrier.

Yes, I am.  I'm so old I was invited to  PCM's mother's baby shower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come now. Nobody's that old! :glare:

To show how politically far apart we are, as editor of my high school newspaper in Pierre, SD, I wrote an editorial blasting McGovern after he came to our school to speak. I'm sure it was my poisoned pen that cost him South Dakota in the 1972 election. ;)

Not all Democrats are "left wing extremists." Neither are all liberals.

This is a political issue. In politics, you don't reject help from potential allies just because you don't see eye-to-eye with them on all issues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am aware of this, however, Leftists have hi-jacked the logo issue and are using questionable people to forward their agenda. I can't think of one single conservative republican that is pro-UND changing the name.

i have pics from opening night from the engelstad arena and the pics are almost identical..all non native americans chanting 1,2,3,4 do not use the name no more, very creative i might add....

What's the deal with all of the pics of the white folks carrying signs?  Are some of the fatter ones out for some needed exercise?  ;)  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My exact point. I really should complete posts more often. :glare: Left wing loony toons aren't the only ones who have problems with nicknames.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally forgot about the one, I remember some wanted them to be called the blaze and that was nixed because of negative sterotypes and it having something to do with blazing up as in smoking dope. However, I should have said the majority of the name change folks against the use of Native American names/logos are lefties.

i have pics from opening night from the engelstad arena and the pics are almost identical..all non native americans chanting 1,2,3,4 do not use the name no more, very creative i might add....

And some of those very same English profs got upset at me when I used the term "f***" in certain essays or in class ... :glare:;)

Well, I admit, I dont know a lot about these cultures. However, I dont pretend that I do and I don't run around telling the Norwegians, Germans and Russians that I am honoring them. I don't think I am enlightened about the Norwegian culture simply because I have tasted lefse and walked around a heritage days festival. I do have a friend from Sweden and I routinely ask him questions about himself and his culture. I also have a friend from Germany and she has spent time talking to me about hers. I certainly dont think you know more about Sioux culture because you saw a dance at a hockey game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might have not learned more from that dance at the game, but it was nice to see since I was FORCED to learn about it in my education classes. The teacher wanted the name changed, so we spent a lot of time on that subject (funny how she only presented her side) and Native American customs. I'm glad I learned it and get to see dances once in a while. How many other universities would teach me this stuff?

I've made this point before, but because of the name I got to do some history teaching on Native American (mainly Sioux) to largely hispanic kids in California.

You have a really poor attitude. Anyone who disagrees with you, you have to attack. You certainly aren't reflecting very well upon the people who want to change the name but remain civil. You don't know cheeringfromcali, so why would you assume what he taught his students? Simply because he disagrees with you, he knows nothing? That's am incredibly narrowminded school of thought. You certainly wouldn't have taught the students much more then he could have because you would have spent the entire time telling them how uneducated they were. Instead of attempting to educate them, you'd just chastise them for being naive 7th graders.

You have a really poor attitude.  Anyone who disagrees with you, you have to attack.  You certainly aren't reflecting very well upon the people who want to change the name but remain civil.  You don't know cheeringfromcali, so why would you assume what he taught his students?  Simply because he disagrees with you, he knows nothing?  That's am incredibly narrowminded school of thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Diggler....lol, are you following me around....lol...anyways, He (you must know him, since you called him a him) said that he taught history classes....read his post....

I believe he is a math teacher, not a history teacher. He taught them basic things and answered their questions like how to pronounce the word Sioux. Why? Because they asked him questions about it. He's never claimed that he was a expert on the subject. Perhaps you should read all his posts on the subject rather than just one.

And no I'm not following you around. I was on this board and saw posts by you and thought I would respond. Silly me thinking that is what this board was meant for.

I believe he is a math teacher, not a history teacher.  He taught them basic things and answered their questions like how to pronounce the word.  Why? Because they asked him questions about it.  He's never claimed that he was a expert on the subject.  Perhaps you should read all his posts on the subject rather than just one.

And no I'm not following you around.  I was on this board and saw posts by you and thought I would respond.  Silly me thinking that is what this board was meant for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Krackhead has continuously jumped to conclusions and expressed himself in the lowest form of communication based on the two or three words he is able to read in some threads. I guess we should forgive him his ignorance. My mom taught me not to make fun of the less mentally fortunate so I'll refrain from saying anything more regarding his shortcomings. :D

OMG!!! Now that is a scary thought, you teaching a subject you know nothing about. Did you teach them how to eat SiouxDogs and wash it down w/ H-Sioux-O? lolol....Maybe you showed them your shirt and strengthened the stereotypes that are our there about how all Indians wear feathers.....Or did you teach them about Wounded Knee, the many many treaties that were broken to them, or did you just pop in Dances w/ Wolves/Into the West/Little Big Man? Yeah, I don't know how much you could have taught them, especially w/ your attitude about the sioux name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you need to calm down a bit. I'm waiting to be convinced as to why the name is harmful before I pass my judgement on if we should get rid of it or not. But people like you and the white professors on the UND campus just push me to want to keep the name to tick them off.

Digs told you all you need to know about me. The last thing I'd do with a position of power like mine is teach something that is way off base. I'm not sure what you teach your kids about whites and "hang around the fort Indians" (your words), but you won't hear me using that term.

I resent your personal attack on me and assuming the idiotic things that I'd teach and I believe you owe me an apology.