SiouxSports.com Forum

Pair of Virg Foss Articles

Hansel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really think that these articles provided much, if any news, and probably didn't need to be written. By the same token, I've read countless articles and columns in the Forum portraying UND in a less-than-flattering light which I didn't feel needed to be written, either. This is a two-way street, and IMO both papers are equally at fault for trying to stir the pot at every opportunity.

The amount of coverage for UND v. NDSU surprized me as well. I mean, who wouldn't want to see the Bison Men's BB team take on Dickinson State or the Bison Women take on Valley City or Mayville. ;) That increased competition they are getting in D-1 is really quite a draw...

Foss merely reprinted the obvious. Without hockey, especially with a team that often finds itself in Title contention, UND sports would not even be on the national media's map, and I doubt the school would have its own sports network. Unfortunately, for 'SU, even when it is fully D1, I doubt it will have the same media exposure, as it will be another name in an already swollen FB and BB pool.

"That would be really big for us and a great opportunity for us to get into the Twin Cities market," Taylor said.

Sorry Charlie, but given the number of 'SU alums around MSP, I really doubt beating the gophers is going to do more than get Mason another year on his contract. ;);) However, beating Our Lady of the Worthless Miracle U. in the Ho-Hum Bowl may do something ... like getting a box score in the NY Times. :D;)

You know, I'm surprised fans of a

[cynicism] big-time powerhouse DI like NDSU [/cynicism]

have time to worry about lil' ol' DII UND and its seven NCAA DI national mens ice hockey titles and $110+ MM hockey and basketball arena complex (Ralph, Betty).

The amount of coverage for UND v. NDSU surprized me as well. I mean, who wouldn't want to see the Bison Men's BB team take on Dickinson State or the Bison Women take on Valley City or Mayville.  ;) That increased competition they are getting in D-1 is really quite a draw...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You shouldn't be ragging on the DAC 10 schools, after all, they're all going to be in the same division as UND soon! :D;);)

I find it laughable when Bohl talks about NDSU and the Gophers turning into a good rivalry for each other in the future, like they would ever be on par with Wisconsin and Michigan etc. etc. If anything it would be a one-sided rivalry, which when you think about it, isn't really a rivalry at all. Just be thankful if you can get a game or two with Minnesota because next they'll be dreaming of a Big Ten invitation.

UND has DI hockey, NDSU has DI football.

I don't see anything wrong with that arrangement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's get one thing straight, NDSU is not DI in football....they are DIAA. Just as well could be called DII+ or something to avoid confusion for the fans. In no way, shape or form is NDSU DI in football. :D I get a kick out of Bison fans for getting on UND because so few of the big schools play hockey, well in NDSU's headline sport....NDSU doesn't play ANY of the big schools. ;)

Let's get one thing straight, NDSU is not DI in football....they are DIAA. Just as well could be called DII+ or something to avoid confusion for the fans. In no way, shape or form is NDSU DI in football. :D I get a kick out of Bison fans for getting on UND because so few of the big schools play hockey, well in NDSU's headline sport....NDSU doesn't play ANY of the big schools. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what do you care? I mean, all UND fans are only hockey fans. No one really cares about the football team unless it's the national championship game.

But what do you care? I mean, all UND fans are only hockey fans. No one really cares about the football team unless it's the national championship game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, just stating the obvious that NDSU football isn't DI. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on now, D1AA is D1. That is like saying JV sports are not high school sports. The Bison are like a JV team, they will never compete with the big boys, but can brag about beating up on the other JV teams. I guess that makes the Sioux FB team like the sophomore team ;)

I am still a Bison FB fan (could care less about the rest of the sports, actually I barely care about FB), but the program has been going down since Rocky left. Bohl looks promising, hopefully they will continue to have a good showing in AA ball.

Of all the dumb things NDSU has done, I still think missing their chance to go for D1 hockey 10 years ago tops the list. Too bad idiots like Irv Inniger are in charge of the university ;)

I can go with that. That's exactly what I was trying to say, a JV team. And I don't care what a manual says....when that Bison have the opportunity to qualify for a BCS bowl game, then I will call them DI. Remember, UND's top sport does qualify for the DI title, NDSU fb doesn't.

I can go with that. That's exactly what I was trying to say, a JV team.  And I don't care what a manual says....when that Bison have the opportunity to qualify for a BCS bowl game, then I will call them DI.  Remember, UND's top sport does qualify for the DI title, NDSU fb doesn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When NDSU wins it's first DIaa national title game, the Bison will have won a DI football title.

I can go with that. That's exactly what I was trying to say, a JV team.  And I don't care what a manual says....when that Bison have the opportunity to qualify for a BCS bowl game, then I will call them DI.  Remember, UND's top sport does qualify for the DI title, NDSU fb doesn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only DI football national championship recognized by the NCAA is DI-AA. ;)

Of all the dumb things NDSU has done, I still think missing their chance to go for D1 hockey 10 years ago tops the list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that. That was their opportunity and they blew it. Even Bemidji State is outdoing NDSU in national sports coverage with making the NCAA playoffs and giving Denver a challenge. With the effort to try to go D1 in sports (DII+ in football), there won't be any money to do anything with hockey for decades.

I'm curious, do you guys think you would've gotten all that attention this year if the NHL was playing?

Does the NCAA have a TV contract to put a certain number of DI hockey games on?

No contract other than for the Frozen Four, but the rise in coverage has been ongoing for a few years and no college games were directly shown in the channels/timeslots of NHL games (even though the college broadcasts would have occurred regardless, you could argue that the absent NHL increased the popularity of those broadcasts).

I live way out of the college hockey core market; five years ago there were only two UND games per year even available on satellite and you could barely beg a bar to pull them in. This year, I literally walked into a bar on a March Madness weekend and their tv's (which were marked with what games they would be showing all night) were schedule to be showing two basketball games and a college hockey game at any given time.

The FSN's have shown regional college hockey since their inception a few years ago, which covers UND when it plays big market teams like UMN, UW, BC, etc... When CSTV was starting up a couple years ago, it intended from the start to have college hockey as a weekend night anchor, and UND does have significant marquee value in the sport. The only surprise to me this year was ESPNU's coverage, but with them hunting for college sports in a saturated market, adding hockey makes perfect since as it's still considered one of the "big" team spectator sports, even if the smallest of the biggies.

My other personal pleasant surprise this year (being out of market) was the addition of UND's football games to the ESPN tickers, which came in handy more than once when I was out during UND's game. I just need ESPNU/CSTV to increase coverage of D-II football (of which UND is arguably one of the marquee teams) and I'll be set ;)

The only DI football national championship recognized by the NCAA is DI-AA.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm actually looking forward to watching the Gophers beat NDSU 100-0. That should be a really great game and will really fuel the rivalry. ;) It's so hilarious to read your posts. Really, keep them coming...