SiouxSports.com Forum

Marto to the Sioux

PCM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fetch was right yesterday. The front page of today's Herald sports section has a big story by Virg Foss about Jake Marto of Grand Forks Central selecting UND over Minnesota and UM-Duluth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a great catch!

The question is, though, is there still room to recruit someone like Dowzak or Finley (or both)?

I'm not sure we'll need them in 2006, though I'd like Dowzak.

I'm certainly no expert, but considering that Jake has spent his springs and summers playing baseball, and his falls playing football up to this point, he may have just scratched the surface of his hockey potential compared to a lot of other prospects his age who haven't devoted so much time to other sports.

I'm certainly no expert, but considering that Jake has spent his springs and summers playing baseball, and his falls playing football up to this point, he may have just scratched the surface of his hockey potential compared to a lot of other prospects his age who haven't devoted so much time to other sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a little concerned that the Sioux still don't have the next bruising defender. At 160 lbs. Marto needs to really hit the weight room 3 hours a day for the next 1.5 years and be forced to run every time he is spotted without a grinder in his hands.

Some Offensive D-men are nice, but you still need 4 penalty killers. You do not want 6 offensive d-men (see Minnesota in the F4). I guess it will be interesting to see how Jones and Chorney develop, but neither have the Greene / Smaby size. I hope they can get one of the two freaks out there.

I am a little concerned that the Sioux still don't have the next bruising defender.  At 160 lbs.  Marto needs to really hit the weight room 3 hours a day for the next 1.5 years and be forced to run every time he is spotted without a grinder in his hands.

Some Offensive D-men are nice, but you still need 4 penalty killers.  You do not want 6 offensive d-men (see Minnesota in the F4).  I guess it will be interesting to see how Jones and Chorney develop, but neither have the Greene / Smaby size.  I hope they can get one of the two freaks out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would not be concerned. Zach Jones is built like his brother and will be the same type of defenseman. Brian Lee is 6'3" and is getting bigger. He will be very solid after a year in the weight room. Smaby is a monster. Plus, you do not need to be big to play defense in the WCHA. Minnesota has had great success with smaller, mobile defensemen with offensive skills--Larry Olimb, Mike Crowley, even Ballard before he bulked up. Some of UND's best all-time defensemen have been smaller, mobile defensemen with offensive skills--Russ Parent, Curtis Murphy, Travis Roche, Nick Naumenko. Even Ian Kidd was a finesse guy with good offensive skills. The WCHA and college hockey are skating leagues so you do not need NHL defensemen. Yes, the Sioux won with big defensemen this year, but they also had some growing pains and struggled in the transition game and offensively at times.

The ideal defensive corps is to have both, which it looks like the Sioux will have. Look at Denver with Caldwell, Skinner and Carle. They are all pretty good size, but they are offensive-minded and great skaters that jump into the play. They are the main reason Denver has won back-to-back championships, ever more than goaltending. Hakstol and Berry were both defenseman, so they probably know what they are doing.

yawn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude go to the Gopher web site where you can discuss all your stupid Gopher stuff, obsess about Kessel and how great a goalie Kellin Briggs is and how you have already sowed up the next three NCAA titles. Obviously your just lowering yourself being here in Siouxville. :glare:

I've not seen either Chorney or Jones the younger play, but having watched Brian Lee several times over the last couple of years, I am pretty confident that once he gets used to the speed in the WCHA he will be a pretty physical player.

This kid is ripped. He put himself on a weight program specifically designed to begin bulking up his frame, and has been quite successful. I don't think he has an ounce of fat on his body. And he just turned 18 exactly a month ago, so there is a lot of upside potential as to filling out even more.

The most exciting thing about him is his two-way play ability: I've seen Lee absolutely level an opposing forward (SportsCenter kind of hit!), control the puck, spin up ice and start one of the Spud's copyrighted four-man rushes dozens of times.

I, too, hope Mr. Greene returns. I think the NHL is going to settle with the players pretty quickly now, so the chances of that diminish daily. If he comes back he and Smaby can play smash-mouth and teach the youngsters the "truth".

Marto coming in '06 will be a nice story. He does need to fill out, but he's a talented kid.

This is why you should be banned. You openly admitted that you just want to get under the skin. With this post, you are too lazy to even add anything to try to do that. Ban the drunk driver.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude....throttle back! I watched Marto play in the ND state tourney and think this kid has great skills and will be an asset to UND.

Yawn = I'm busy and didn't have time to get into why I don't feel this is "front page" news or any reason for ANY WCHA team to rush out and try to recruit a kid to counter Marto's play next year. AGAIN...he's a great skater....and he's a local kid that I hope does well for himself.

Some of you need to start taking a deep breath and yelling out "Serenity Now!!"

Cripes!

It was front page of Sports not "front page". And yes it does deserve front page of sports. This is a local boy that everyone has been waiting to see where he would go. We were all praying it wasn't the Gophers. And since there was no press conference called I knew he must have picked the Sioux.

Welcome aboard Marto. I can't wait for you to skate circles around Hagemo and Goligoski.

dude....throttle back! I watched Marto play in the ND state tourney and think this kid has great skills and will be an asset to UND.

Yawn = I'm busy and didn't have time to get into why I don't feel this is "front page" news or any reason for ANY WCHA team to rush out and try to recruit a kid to counter Marto's play next year. AGAIN...he's a great skater....and he's a local kid that I hope does well for himself.

Some of you need to start taking a deep breath and yelling out "Serenity Now!!"

Cripes!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duey... I think your just misunderstood...us Sioux fans just can't understand how someone like you thinks...it's totally our fault...I think.

I haven't seen Marto play but what I've read reminds me of Paul Martin. Not overly big guy, excellent all around athlete. Hopefully on the ice the Sioux will see similar comparisons down the road.

Something else with Martin. He was nothing special his first year on the ice....

To be an effective defenseman you don't have to be real physical. Gopher fans still talk about Martin's ability to poke check the puck. If the forward doesn't have the puck, he can't score.

I remember in the Frozen Four semi against the gophs Clement commenting on 2 occasions about Andy Schneider's ability to skate backwards, close with the forward, and poke check the puck away.

If Marto is as good a skater as people say, and if he can provide needed offense from the blueline, and can learn to be in the right place, and to use his stick to neutralize the opponent (legally), I don't care if he hits very hard.

There needs to be a lot of sports information in the Herald since WDAZ doesn't give much time to sports.  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think WDAZ's sports is about 2 minutes long each night. Another thing to point out, has anyone else noticed how low of quality the game footage is that is shot by WDAZ cameras. I'm talking about highlights from local basketball/hockey/football games. You turn it to KVLY and even Fox's sports, and their footage is a lot brighter, more colorful, and just a lot more eye friendly. Are they using cameras from the 1950's?

I think WDAZ's sports is about 2 minutes long each night. Another thing to point out, has anyone else noticed how low of quality the game footage is that is shot by WDAZ cameras. I'm talking about highlights from local basketball/hockey/football games. You turn it to KVLY and even Fox's sports, and their footage is a lot brighter, more colorful, and just a lot more eye friendly. Are they using cameras from the 1950's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WDAZ shoots on M2 film. There are less than 10 stations in the country who use m2. it's a very low quality of tape. kvly and kxjb currently shoot on dvc-pro which is digital. i don't know about fox sports, but i can say they most likely use dvc-pro. it's the highest quality tape on the market that most stations can afford. wday/wdaz can definitely afford to move up to dvc-pro, its just the matter of do you want to spend a ton of money to convert now, when you're going to have to convert to all-digital in a couple years.

it's not just wdaz that has cut it sports to 2 minutes. with sports center, the only sports information a majority of the world cares about is local stuff. it's kinda hard to find 5+ minutes of local stuff everyday to keep that time filled. high school, college and twins games are what you'll get at wdaz. if you want highlights from the nba finals, you'll go to espn, just like everyone else.