SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite goals of 2004-05

schmidtdoggydog

I was thinking back to some of the great goals scored this year by the Sioux and was curious if others felt the same or had others in mind that were more memorable.

Some of my favorites:

Andy Schneider's end-to-end rush and goal against Manitoba (I know just an x game, but still a nice goal).

Mike Prpich's individual effort in Duluth walking around d-man, getting the goalie down and out of the crease and before flipping it into the net.

Rory McMahon's goal off the faceoff against Duluth in the playoffs. (my second favorite goal of the year).

Erik Fabian's first goal in the Frozen Four when he lifted Stevens stick and slid the puck past Briggs.

Kyle Radke's slapshot from the blueline off the draw against BSU and Matt Greene's wrister from the blueline against UMN in the Final Five.

Drew Stafford scoring USA's first goal against Russia on Xmas Day, which about blew the roof off the building. (I admit, not a UND goal, but still Sioux-related)

and of course --->

Spirko undressing Harrington and Briggs on the same play in the Final Five.

Of course there are others worth mentioning, but these stick out in my mind.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say Travis Zajak's shorthanded goal in the 3rd period of the Minnesota NCAA semi-final game. The goal at the time gave the Sioux a 4-0 lead and seemed to be the nail in the coffin. I remember jumping around like I'd just won the lottery.

There was a great goal that Stafford scored in that Manitoba game that about made me fall over. I can't really remember it exactly but I know he fried the goalie and lifted the puck top shelf before the goalie knew what hit him.

I vote for Sparky's goal against the Goofs as the best though with Fabian's first one in the Frozen four next.

How about Genoway's "under the net goal" against Boston College in the NCAA East Regionals? :silly: But don't forget, he did score one on Isaac Reichmuth from a similar angle against UMD on March 11 in the first round of the WCHA playoffs. Here are my favorites:

Oct. 22, Minnesota at UND. Spirko scores the game-winning goal against the Gophers by deflecting Smaby's slapshot from the blue line as he's falling forward.

Nov. 20, SCSU at UND. The Sioux are on the power play and leading 2-1 when Parise comes nearly to the blue line to play a loose puck being chased by SCSU's Joe Jensen. Parise and Jensen collide. With the net wide open, the puck slides across the ice. Spirko scoops it up, hits McMahon with a pass as he's streaking down the left side. McMahon splits the Huskies' defense and fires a wrist shot from the slot to score and put the Sioux up 3-1.

Feb. 26, Wisconsin at UND. Erik Fabian bulls through a check along the boards, walks in on Bernd Bruckler and beats him with a shot to the far post. In the same game, "Sniper" Matt Greene scores an empty net goal from near the Sioux blue line off a faceoff with 29 seconds left to give UND a 4-2 win. "I'm not going to say that I was sniping the net or that it was in the bag the whole time. I was lucky it went in," Greene said after the game.

March 17, UND vs. Wisconsin. Genoway's game-winning goal on the power play. His slapper was a classic top-shelf shot that sent Bruckler's water bottle flying.

March 25, UND vs. Boston University. McMahon intercepts a BU clearing attempt and throws the puck on net where Genoway deflects it up and over the Terrier goalie to give the Sioux a 2-0 lead.

That's the kind of goal that would make someone like Watzisnaem "Perky" Sparko say, " .... seev. Mek heem luke as fool. Score beeg goal. Help me go Ehn-Aych-Ell. Mek beeg moneez. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Beeg goal" is right... my vote for the best of 2004-2005. :lol:

Didn't one of the defenseman have a great backhand goal this year?  Jones maybe?  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dec. 3, UAA at UND. Jones from Murray and Canady, 18:01 of the second period. That was a nice goal.

I was thinking back to some of the great goals scored this year by the Sioux and was curious if others felt the same or had others in mind that were more memorable.

Some of my favorites:

Andy Schneider's end-to-end rush and goal against Manitoba (I know just an x game, but still a nice goal).

Mike Prpich's individual effort in Duluth walking around d-man, getting the goalie down and out of the crease and before flipping it into the net.

Rory McMahon's goal off the faceoff against Duluth in the playoffs. (my second favorite goal of the year).

Erik Fabian's first goal in the Frozen Four when he lifted Stevens stick and slid the puck past Briggs.

Kyle Radke's slapshot from the blueline off the draw against BSU and Matt Greene's wrister from the blueline against UMN in the Final Five.

Drew Stafford scoring USA's first goal against Russia on Xmas Day, which about blew the roof off the building.  (I admit, not a UND goal, but still Sioux-related)

and of course --->

Spirko undressing Harrington and Briggs on the same play in the Final Five.

Of course there are others worth mentioning, but these stick out in my mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Throw in Fylling's empty net goal against Bemidji State and I think you may have ALL of the goals scored this year.

Brady had a nice one in Duluth, Stafford fed him ona 2 on 1 he cut in walked around the goalie and made it look so easy.

I love Drew Stafford onetimers. He had one in Duluth on a 4 on 3 pp. He had one durring the World Juniors. But there was one at the Ralph, I cant remember who they were playing I think Denver. It was awesome. I also remember Zajac having a great one timer goal late in the year at the Ralph.